Building A Model Plane

diddums

Made a command decision today after flying my sons plane that he built in a school project....to build our own better one...a classy one, strong and one that can withstand the level of crash like what happened today when I broke it little bit.

Anyone built one....not the plastic kits you can buy all ready and rarin to go....but a balsa wood type one that has to be crafted......and buy whatever parts required online and ship here.....or buy here if available.

Anyone ??

Where to start...

Edited by diddums
  • Like 1

There's one or two shops in Amcorp Mall, Petaling Jaya, I think, but that's probably not very convenient for you...

You could try google:

This was the best I could come up with in 30 seconds (Bangkok aeromodelling)

Thailand

PST Jets Co., Ltd.

1111/1 Pattanakarn Road (Soi 19)

Suanluang, Bangkok 10250 Thailand

Tel: +6623186918

http://www.pstjets.com/

and it also gives you the contact details for the place in Amcorp Mall.

SC

Thanks for the assistance thus far...I really do appreciate it.....but, I am looking to you know kind of build one, rather than buy one.....

So, if anyone has done it, nice to know where/how to start....like where to find plans etc....and the right size for the right engines and the different type of engines...pros and cons....and make sure the engine is not too big for the plane built so that all it does is run along the ground tryin and tryin and tryin to get up there....like that little engine that could...but didn't.

Also....google is never my friend....I find it so.....cold.

I prefer first hand experience and knowledge.

Thank you so kindly.

I used to build them from both balsa wood and also electric models with Depron foam

Balsa wood is a very time consuming way of bulding, with depron if you know what you are doing it can be done in hours (the profile palnes that is).

I used to print all my plans from the internet, usualy the plan tells you for what size engine the plan was designed for.

When I was living in Bahrain these RC planes were not sold hence I had to get everything from the internet.

It is a nice hobby unless you crash and burn 55555.

Good luck with the building

Thanks for the assistance thus far...I really do appreciate it.....but, I am looking to you know kind of build one, rather than buy one.....

So, if anyone has done it, nice to know where/how to start....like where to find plans etc....and the right size for the right engines and the different type of engines...pros and cons....and make sure the engine is not too big for the plane built so that all it does is run along the ground tryin and tryin and tryin to get up there....like that little engine that could...but didn't.

Thank you so kindly.

The shop mentioned will probably have kits and plans.

I'd recommend starting with "control line"* technology. My brother's first attempt at radio control managed about ten yards before he found the goal posts. Now thirty years later he flies from a disused aerodrome... I've not been involved in his recent constructions

SC

* tethered plane flying in a circle, with control of flaps only for vertical control. You still get all the fun of buggering about with the engine in the freezing cold (you might struggle to recreate that part of the experience in Thailand)...

Thank you so kindly.

The shop mentioned will probably have kits and plans.

I'd recommend starting with "control line"* technology. My brother's first attempt at radio control managed about ten yards before he found the goal posts. Now thirty years later he flies from a disused aerodrome... I've not been involved in his recent constructions

SC

* tethered plane flying in a circle, with control of flaps only for vertical control. You still get all the fun of buggering about with the engine in the freezing cold (you might struggle to recreate that part of the experience in Thailand)...

Yeah...we crashed today several times....I hit a tree 2 times....boy just missed flying into the soccer nets.....nearly landed on the roof.....but this plane is as rough as guts.....she goes up n down and round and round....broke one prop, so that ended todays lessons.

Curious if there is someone here who is good enough to change the remote control on a remote controlled boat. Id like to get a more expensive remote control on it. The old one has its problems, this is a real bait boat called the "baitliner" and used to sail out bait and your lines for fishing (i know im lazy).

Too bad the old remote was having some problems and left the boat without signal, that is all nice and fine in a made up lake but i want to try it on the river too. If that happens gone is my bait boat.

As i have not too much faith in the local technicians (i know i know) i would not mind paying some foreigner to do it. I think its part language problem part yes i can yes i can (but cant) that i worry about from Thais.

Curious if there is someone here who is good enough to change the remote control on a remote controlled boat. Id like to get a more expensive remote control on it. The old one has its problems, this is a real bait boat called the "baitliner" and used to sail out bait and your lines for fishing (i know im lazy).

Too bad the old remote was having some problems and left the boat without signal, that is all nice and fine in a made up lake but i want to try it on the river too. If that happens gone is my bait boat.

As i have not too much faith in the local technicians (i know i know) i would not mind paying some foreigner to do it. I think its part language problem part yes i can yes i can (but cant) that i worry about from Thais.

How about a fishing net or buy your fish at the market? rolleyes.gif

How about a fishing net or buy your fish at the market? rolleyes.gif

Ahhhh...an amateur....someone that will never know what it is like to go out and hunt for your meal with just your own skills, some dynamite and a gun.

Diddums,

is your plane remote controlled or line.

i will not recommend line controlled as you do not then get the feel for the controls.

post a pic of the aircraft it would be nice to c what it looks like after the lessons

I'll take a pic tomorrow....does not look bad from the crash...more the build.

Only broke the prop.

It is not a line controlled plane....I liken that to having your kid on one of them leashes to control them....my mum had me on one.....my kingdom for a sharp knife when I was 3yo.