Motorcycling In Thailand

L&J

Reading the piece below brings to mind several people we know who died by being hit from behind while riding here in Chiang Mai, as well as

the half dozen bodies of riders we've seen lying in a pool of blood on the highway since we've been here. Guess that is part of the "freedom

from rules" that some people really seem impressed by here in Thailand. Maybe anarchy is really well suited for the highways?

British couple, who were on a world cycling tour, have been killed in an accident in Chachoengsao province, according to reports from The Sun and The Telegraph.

473467.jpg

From www.twoonfourwheels.com

The accident occurred on Friday at about 2.30pm when a pickup truck ran over Peter Root and Mary Thompson, both 34, while they were riding their bikes in Chachoengsao's Phanom Sarakham district.

The pickup truck driver told police that his vehicle hit the British couple while he was reaching down to pick up something.

The Guernsey couple's bodies are being kept at Phanom Sarakham Hospital.

Reports said the British embassy was contacting their families so they can bring the bodies back home.

The couple had started cycling around the world two years ago, and had travelled to Europe, the Middle East, China and 23 other countries.

The only safe way to ride here is to keep far away from cars except in urban Bankok is to stay far away from cars and learn the bad driving habits. The reason I single out Bangkok is that they actually seem to pay more attention there. I actually don't mind riding my bike (Road King) there. I absolutely abhor driving a car there.

These two were bicycling. Not sure if its a valid relationship to motorcycling.

Something I try to do on a motorcycle:

I try never to be overtaken by other vehicles. In some countries, this is easy to do - you just have to drive slightly faster than the speed limit. If you are being overtaken all the time, then you have to ask yourself if you are going to slow, should you maybe speed up? You'll always have someone overtaking, but you reduce the number of times this happens.

Some motorcyclists ride slow, and get passed by trucks all the time. Having trucks pass you is a sure sign you are going slow. And very dangerous, because they might just have to pull over on you, or you might hang out in their blind spot and they do something that just messes up your day. Most places have truck speed limits lower than cars - so if your passed by trucks, you are constantly being passed by cars. Like the two above, getting hit from behind, you can minimize the chances of this happening.

Here in Thailand its a bit different, in that road conditions dictate you shouldn't drive the motorbike too fast. You don't want to always be overriding your sight distance; there's always 'stuff' happening around the next corner, over the next hill, coming out the drive or side road. In addition, the auto drivers do crazy speeds here. They are constantly overtaking when I'm on a motorcycle while trying not to be overtaken. But, you watch for them all the time, and you try to give yourself an out, make them pass (by speeding up, or slowing down) where you have the most favorable conditions (extra shoulder room, on an open stretch, middle of the hill, not at the crest, on a straight piece of road instead of in the corner as they are apt to do).

Driving a motorcycle isn't just a passive cruise down the road. You actually drive the thing, as opposed to operating the vehicle. Driving it will keep you safe. Operating it - well, you're at the mercy of the other idiot.

You expounded almost exactly what I was trying to say.

I've been riding motorcycles in Chiangmai and the region around it regularly for six years now. I have not found it particularly dangerous. Two 'buts'. One, I had decades of two-wheeled experience before arriving here. Two, I paid attention and quickly learned the different rules -- by that I do not mean 'laws', but actual practices -- of the road here. Qdinthailand, you make good points, including about riding to avoid being overtaken. An important complementary practice is to be aware at all times of anyone approaching from behind and, if a vehicle is approaching you at a speed faster than you want to travel yourself, to pull to the side of the road, slow slightly and wave them by.

• Like 1

I rented a bicycle the first two weeks I was here in Chiang Mai and I felt less safe on a bicycle than I do on a motorbike. Because of the better mirrors, more acceleration and higher seating profile I feel safer on my 250 Kawasaki motard than anything other than a car. The ONLY advantage of the bicycle was the lack of motor sound and the open ear helmets worn by those on bicycles.

Very well said, qdinThailand. I try to practise exactly what you say every time I'm on my motorbike. I realize that I'm NEVER going to go faster than some cars and pickups, but I "TRY" to always be aware of what is gaining from behind me.

Maintain the space around you on all sides as best you can.

Become good at predicting the actions of other road users. I don't know how I achieved this but often now just looking at someone's appearance and demeanour I can predict if they are likely to pull out in front of me carelessly.

Use your mirrors and check over your shoulder as well.

Only stupid or ignorant people are riding bicycles on the roads of Thailand. I own a bicycle here in Thailand, but I would NEVER even dream about riding it out on the open roads. But on my motorbike I feel safe, when I can follow the speed of traffic.

^^ I guess I'm stupid or ignorant then, but have never had a problem. jerk.gif

If you pay attention and learn the local (bad) habits, you won't have much problem. I have driven and ridden in many countries. Never assume each country drives the same. ASS-U-ME.

• Like 1

Only stupid or ignorant people are riding bicycles on the roads of Thailand. I own a bicycle here in Thailand, but I would NEVER even dream about riding it out on the open roads. But on my motorbike I feel safe, when I can follow the speed of traffic.

I also have a bicycle, tried it once, told the wife it's dangerous to ride it on the roads. She don't believe me, blames me for beeing lazy. sad.png

In chiangmai look out for three things

1. red/yellow/white trucks, they don't look when trying to pick up passengers

2. cars, especially out of town or red plates. But recently, especially eco-small cars due to the 1st car policy

3. other motorbikers, typically the honda dreams, or the like. Sometimes they don't obey the rules.

[big bikes tend to be more careful, probably the repair bill would be ฿฿฿฿฿]

I also have a bicycle, tried it once, told the wife it's dangerous to ride it on the roads. She don't believe me, blames me for beeing lazy. sad.png

In the city area, they're great. But I live on the superhighway, it's suicidal to ride. Right now mine is literally collecting cobweb.

I think motorcycling in the city is much safer than the open busy road, but if you ever feel safe motorcycling here in Thailand, hang up the keys. Motorcycling is very very dangerous here and you have to be on your guard 200%. Every other driver out there is trying to kill you.

Good point. I NEVER feel safe, but I enjoy the adreniline every time I'm on a motorbike. I just try to minimize the risks. It's like a video game, but played for real.

And, like someone else said, I have no intention of becoming a stay at home type who relies on tuk tuks or taxis to go anywhere. I would eat myself into looking like a blimp and die of a heart attack. Or, I would flat out die of boredom. Of course, if I couldn't or didn't ride a motorbike in Thailand I would stay home in the safety of nanny state Canada.

• Like 1

I think motorcycling in the city is much safer than the open busy road, but if you ever feel safe motorcycling here in Thailand, hang up the keys. Motorcycling is very very dangerous here and you have to be on your guard 200%. Every other driver out there is trying to kill you.

Good point. I NEVER feel safe, but I enjoy the adreniline every time I'm on a motorbike. I just try to minimize the risks. It's like a video game, but played for real.

And, like someone else said, I have no intention of becoming a stay at home type who relies on tuk tuks or taxis to go anywhere. I would eat myself into looking like a blimp and die of a heart attack. Or, I would flat out die of boredom. Of course, if I couldn't or didn't ride a motorbike in Thailand I would stay home in the safety of nanny state Canada.

Good points! I have over 60,000 km traveled around Northern Thailand with my little CBR and they have been 99% enjoyable. Weirdest near-calamity was on a wilderness concrete road behind Samoung. No cars, no houses, no power lines. Just trees and I was cruising along blissfully. Something caught my eye and I hit the brakes just as a pick up truck burst out of the jungle on a completely hidden road and crossed to the other side where the dirt track continued. I don't think the driver ever saw me or my soiled shorts. We missed by inches.

i feel safer on a motorbike than a bicycle any day.a motorbike may be more dangerous but at lest you have some power to get away from a accident if it happens

Not if you are incapacitated or your motor bike is damaged.

Also leaving the scene of an accident could conceivably open up a whole new can of worms if you are caught.

I find myself riding my mountain bike more than my motorcycle these days. While I ride mainly on dirt I do need to spend time on the road to link the dirt sections. I feel safer on the Trek than I do the Ninja, it takes me to more beautiful places and provides valuable exercise.

I am to the point that I am considering selling the Ninja as it doesn’t get much use. The combination of the SUV and the Mt. Bike takes me to places the Ninja just doesn’t want to go.

In chiangmai look out for three things

1. red/yellow/white trucks, they don't look when trying to pick up passengers

2. cars, especially out of town or red plates. But recently, especially eco-small cars due to the 1st car policy

3. other motorbikers, typically the honda dreams, or the like. Sometimes they don't obey the rules.

[big bikes tend to be more careful, probably the repair bill would be ฿฿฿฿฿]

Sounds like a sure fire invitation for an accident. Pay more attention to the traffic around you and less attention to where they are from or are they a Honda dream or a Honda Phantom.whistling.gif

Sorry but you make no sense to me. If you don't own a motor bike and rely on public transportation which requires walking you will get fat.

If you own a motor bike and use it to go to the 7/11 across the street you will stay slim.

If I owned a motor bike I would grow even larger than I am.

. . . . . I enjoy the adreniline every time I'm on a motorbike. I just try to minimize the risks. It's like a video game, but played for real.

If you ever find yourself wanting more, rene123, I would encourage you to take your bike out on a race circuit. Much more fun, more thrilling, but at the same time safer.

is it me or has riding in chiang mai gotten more dangerous since last year ?

Could well not be just you, but I have not noticed it myself.

We have a little cafe on the 1095 on the way to Pai where we sit and watch all the Bangkok folks passing on a blind corner as they play "Race to a Vacation" on holiday weekends.

i feel safer on a motorbike than a bicycle any day.a motorbike may be more dangerous but at lest you have some power to get away from a accident if it happens

Not if you are incapacitated or your motor bike is damaged.

Also leaving the scene of an accident could conceivably open up a whole new can of worms if you are caught.

You misinterpreted what was written. He MEANT to say "to get away from a "potential" accident", not an actual accident. On a motorbike you are safer if you ride just a little bit faster than the average moving vehicle. It minimizes the risks. You can't do that on a bicycle and vehicles are ALWAYS gaining on you.

If you want to be stuck to the confines of the inner city within walking distance then be my guest. I prefer to ride far and wide and explore places you can never get to by public transportation. I zipped off to my favourite spot on Doi Sutthep this afternoon and hiked up and down several trails that I've recently cleaned up. If I had taken a tuk tuk over there in that traffic it wouldn't have been worth the time wasted sitting in traffic lineups. I get my exercise in much more pleasant surroundings.