Fitting An Inline Fuel Fliter On A Yamaha Mio

HughJass

had a problem with the g/f Mio recently and took it to the local Yamaha dealer.

I had deduced it was a fuel problem from a dirty carburetor

I bought an inline filter (see pic) and asked Somchai to clean out the gas tank and carb and fit the new inline filter to stop any crap from the gas tank reaching the carb

he said not to do that as the gas tank already had a filter and fitting an extra one in the line would cause fuel starvation

I went with what he said but three weeks after the cleaning was done am having the same problem coming back

so at some point I will probably have to go back to the shop and have the cleaning job redone

so is he talking thru his backside about the extra inline filter as I suspect he is?

post-155264-0-76164000-1361124856_thumb.

Edited by HughJass

He's talking through his arse. That filter has so much area, including folding the filter paper, that it wouldn't restrict flow unless it was dirty.

What I can't understand is why the factory filter isn't cleaning.

isnt the factory filter in the gas tank just a mesh type?....which would catch large rust particles but let thru smaller ones

heres the relevant page from the Mio parts book..if anyone wants a copy of the parts book let me know and i will put it up

post-155264-0-67247800-1361188806_thumb.

He's talking through his arse. That filter has so much area, including folding the filter paper, that it wouldn't restrict flow unless it was dirty.

What I can't understand is why the factory filter isn't cleaning.

isnt the factory filter in the gas tank just a mesh type?....which would catch large rust particles but let thru smaller ones

heres the relevant page from the Mio parts book..if anyone wants a copy of the parts book let me know and i will put it up

Yamaha Thailand has all part books online available at http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/Catalog/

1. Click on the animation
  2. Agree to the use terms
  3. Select cc, model, year
  4. Select color
  5. Switch to English or read in Thai if you like

Very helpful. Is there a similar service from Honda with online part books?

the problem stems from the gasoline tank having rust inside as the bike is 6 years old and was laid up for about a years..they did clean out the tank along with the carb but Iam starting to have similar problems just a couple of months down the line

a good point by BSJ