Abhisit Calls On Govt To Tackle Adverse Effects Of 300-Baht Wage Policy

webfact

Abhisit calls on govt to tackle adverse effects of 300-baht wage policy, claiming policy was first conceived by Democrats

BANGKOK, 18 February 2013 (NNT) - Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has urged the government to come up with measures to tackle the adverse newsjseffect of the 300-baht minimum wage policy, while also claiming that the Democrat party was the first to come up with a policy to raise workers' income, but that the policy was adopted by the rival Puea Thai party.

At a public forum held at the Democrat party headquarters, the Opposition leader said that the government's 300-baht minimum wage policy is not the "final answer" for Thai workers.

He said the policy has a number of undesirable consequences, including lay-offs and illegal employments. He said that the government, in implementing the policy, was envisaging only the policy's immediate consequences, without considering its longer-term effects.

He added that his party had always pushed for policies that would help workers develop skills, with the aim of raising their income, but that the policy was hijacked by his rival Puea Thai party.

Moreover, Mr Abhisit said that, contrary to the simplicity of its name, Puea Thai's minimum wage policy has many conditions attached to it.

Meanwhile, Vice President of Uni Thailand, a labour advocate group, echoes Mr Abhisit's concern that the policy has resulted in unemployment because of companies closing down.

But she also raised another concern - that is, that many workers are not currently receiving 300 baht per day as prescribed.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-02-18 footer_n.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Abhisit still in a position of authority? He has been destroyed once already during an election from a position of power that he didn't earn and yet they're are still backing him? Madness. That party must really suck if he's the best they've got.

Because he is the only one with a half decent brain

• Like 1

How is Abhisit still in a position of authority? He has been destroyed once already during an election from a position of power that he didn't earn and yet they're are still backing him? Madness. That party must really suck if he's the best they've got.

All the 15 or so million voters who voted for him must be stupid.

Actually it was 11.4 million and they voted for the party not abhisit. Personally speaking, after the events of 2010, I would imagine he would be unelectable.

• Like 2

Actually it was 11.4 million and they voted for the party not abhisit. Personally speaking, after the events of 2010, I would imagine he would be unelectable.

Ah ok, so nobody voted for YS either. That explains why she is making a joke out of Thailand. She must have been put in that position by the party because of her female touch…I guess.

• Like 1

"Personally" ?

Ever heard about the opposition? Yeaah, probably not.

Most companies have about 10x as many employees as they would need if their employees felt valued and were motivated to actually work once in a while anyway. Was walking through Home Pro or something the other day and see two girls sitting there popping each others zits and pulling bugs out of their hair in the middle of the store. Nice.

• Like 1

Most companies have about 10x as many employees as they would need if their employees felt valued and were motivated to actually work once in a while anyway. Was walking through Home Pro or something the other day and see two girls sitting there popping each others zits and pulling bugs out of their hair in the middle of the store. Nice.

Or playing on their smart phones

Tell that to the people who work out in the hot sun everyday. Maybe you can go out and show them how it is done.

• Like 2

Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has urged the government to come up with measures to tackle the adverse effect of the 300-baht minimum wage policy, while also claiming that the Democrat party was the first to come up with a policy to raise workers' income, but that the policy was adopted by the rival Puea Thai party.

Mind you in February 2006 just before the new elections we had then PM Thaksin floating some ideas about 200 Baht/day minimum wage. He had been against because "employers cannot afford it", but pre-election promises and idea floating come easy to any politician.

• Like 2

"Personally" ?

It's clear enough isn't it?, whats your problem with the statement?

"Personally" ?

Just shows that like humans dogs let their feelings control their imagination.

• Like 1

"Personally" ?

It just sounded much more like the standard red shirt propaganda mantra than a personal opinion.

"Personally" I find it very difficult to take foreign red shirt protagonists seriously after watching the esteemed Jeff Savage's temper tantrum. I've seen very little in the real world, Twitter, or this forum, to reverse that opinion.

• Like 2

Ever heard the word opposition party? AV happens to be a leader of such party. Edited by Skywalker69

"Personally" ?

It just sounded much more like the standard red shirt propaganda mantra than a personal opinion.

"Personally" I find it very difficult to take foreign red shirt protagonists seriously after watching the esteemed Jeff Savage's temper tantrum. I've seen very little in the real world, Twitter, or this forum, to reverse that opinion.

What a bizarre take on it, seemed very accurate to me!

Recent history shows that the man is unelectable, following on from 2010 I think anyone in their right mind realises that the chances of him ever rising to power again, actually by the ballot, are slim to zero! What would make you rationally believe he could get elected after the events of 2010? Surely the Democrats must realise that to win the majority votes of the Thai people they must find a new candidate...

Back on topic, personally speaking I think Abhisit does his dubious credibility no favours by picking holes the 300 baht minimum wage policy and then claiming it was actually his own party's idea in the first place... "it's a really bad idea and it was our's in the first place anyway... sucks boo to you"... a bit toddlers playgroup don't you think? It's so much easier being critical than constructive...

• Like 1

What a bizarre take on it, seemed very accurate to me!

Recent history shows that the man is unelectable, following on from 2010 I think anyone in their right mind realises that the chances of him ever rising to power again, actually by the ballot, are slim to zero! What would make you rationally believe he could get elected after the events of 2010? Surely the Democrats must realise that to win the majority votes of the Thai people they must find a new candidate...

Back on topic, personally speaking I think Abhisit does his dubious credibility no favours by picking holes the 300 baht minimum wage policy and then claiming it was actually his own party's idea in the first place... "it's a really bad idea and it was our's in the first place anyway... sucks boo to you"... a bit toddlers playgroup don't you think? It's so much easier being critical than constructive...

The Democrats party had an election promise of 25% increase now with further (specified) increases later. It was based on drafts already being discussed.

BTW about electability, this time round k. Abhisit was on the party list (I think), just like Ms. Yingluck. Both got to be MP as result of that #1 position and the actual elections. Please also keep in mind that k. Abhisit is not the same as the Democrats party, just like k. Thaksin Yingluck is not the same as Pheu Thai party wai.gif

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

claiming that the Democrat party was the first to come up with a policy to raise workers' income

Well then AV should reveal his own planned measures in the national interest. :rolleyes:

Presumably he will when the Government consider it worthwhile to debate in parliament

Seems he is hampered by having to make statements outside parliament.

I'm sure this Democracy would love to have a meaningful debate - or maybe not

Watch what you ask for when you say the stores have too many employees. It won't be long where you are saying "Why can't I ever get any service anymore"?

This discussion is getting side-tracked. The important issue is not about Abhisit; its about the negative effects of the minimum wage increase. The increase was much too high; more than 50% in less than 3 years has a major impact on businesses who cannot afford to pay such high wages as well as the increasing rate of Social Insurance taxes, so companies have no choice but to lay off workers. Already there are already more than 50,000 Thai who are out of work because of this short-sighted policy.

Any business which does retain its workers will be forced to increase prices for their products and services, thereby increasing inflation and making everything more costly, such that the price of basic necessities like food, shelter, utilities will rise, so that even those who are still working will have to pay more, effectively negating the effect of their pay increase. Meanwhile, all the rest of the workers who were making more than the minimum wage now also have to pay more for everything, thus reducing the amount they previously had for disposable income. The net effect will be a nationwide reduction in retail spending, causing a reduction in profits, a reduction in GDP, and a reduction in government revenues. All around, this minimum wage increase is not at all healthy for Thailand; it ought to be carefully re-examined and if not repealed, then tax breaks put in place to compensate for the extra expenses incurred.

He with the most money wins.

He with the most money wins.

Hence yingluck and PT.

• Like 1

Watch what you ask for when you say the stores have too many employees. It won't be long where you are saying "Why can't I ever get any service anymore"?

I think he means 10x as many employes that will or can help you. Homepro, Global House, etc have a lot of employees but very few that can help you and I am not talking about the language barrier. You had better be well armed with your own information before you go or you will be buying items that are not what you want or need.