Thai Economy Soars In Q4 On Post-Flood Recovery

webfact

Did the economy grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011? Yes it did.biggrin.png

All the dumb stuff aside the economy still grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011. Yes it did.biggrin.png

That is what the OP said and that is the truth.

I know the photo below is the way some posters think we all should feel but it is not the truth. The truth is the Thai economy grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011.

Q4 2011 was 10.5% down from Q3 2011. Q4 2012 was up 3.6% from Q3 2012.

Honda happy, best car selling year in Thailand ever. Bangkok traffic slows to a crawl, but at least people can sit in their nice new car with airco on and sound machine booming rolleyes.gif

The Thai economy grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011. Q3 of 2011 or Q3 2012 are not the topic. The Thai economy grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011. Yes it did.smile.png and that is the topic. Bangkok traffic is not the topic nor is noise pollution inside autos. The topic is The Thai Economy soared in Q4. Yes it did. Don't matter how you feel about it. Don't matter if you think it is not a good thing. Don't matter if the auto buying incentives and the past years floods had something to do with it. The Thai economy grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011 and that's the truth.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did the economy grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011? Yes it did.biggrin.png

All the dumb stuff aside the economy still grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011. Yes it did.biggrin.png

I know the photo below is the way some posters think we all should feel but it is not the truth. The truth is the Thai economy grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011.

Honda happy, best car selling year in Thailand ever. Bangkok traffic slows to a crawl, but at least people can sit in their nice new car with airco on and sound machine booming rolleyes.gif

The Thai economy grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011. Q3 of 2011 or Q3 2012 are not the topic. The Thai economy grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011. Yes it did.smile.png and that is the topic. Bangkok traffic is not the topic nor is noise pollution inside autos. The topic is The Thai Economy soared in Q4. Yes it did. Don't matter how you feel about it. Don't matter if you think it is not a good thing. Don't matter if the auto buying incentives and the past years floods had something to do with it. The Thai economy grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011 and that's the truth.

Yes love, the Thai economy really soared in Q4 2012, at least in relation to Q4 2011. Anything else is off topic including how we managed to soar. That's totally besides the point, the economy soared. No need to look at why and how, just concentrate on this the economy soared biggrin.png

• Like 1

I really don't know what all the bickering is about. Seems to me one can agree with the OP or disagree. Either the economy soared in Q4 or it did not. Seems to me either you like the fact the fact that the Thai economy soared in Q4 of 2012 or you do not.

If you don't want the Thai economy to do well OK. Perhaps the posters who don't would like to tell us why. But in the absence of that I wonder why all the bickering. Did the Thai economy soar in Q4 or not? Of course it did.smile.png 18.9% is a soar.

Yes love, the Thai economy really soared in Q4 2012, at least in relation to Q4 2011. Anything else is off topic including how we managed to soar. That's totally besides the point, the economy soared. No need to look at why and how, just concentrate on this the economy soared biggrin.png

No, that's cool. Tell us why the economy soared in Q4. The OP mentions flood and auto sales and the new minimum wage. Maybe you have some other reasons to contribute.

No, that's cool. Tell us why the economy soared in Q4. The OP mentions flood and auto sales and the new minimum wage. Maybe you have some other reasons to contribute.

Only about 14 minutes ago you wrote

"Don't matter how you feel about it. Don't matter if you think it is not a good thing. Don't matter if the auto buying incentives and the past years floods had something to do with it. The Thai economy grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011 and that's the truth."

You just told me off and now you ask for more? Make up your mind, dear chap.

"Don't matter how you feel about it. Don't matter if you think it is not a good thing. Don't matter if the auto buying incentives and the past years floods had something to do with it. The Thai economy grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011 and that's the truth."

Sorry I can't respond as you have changed the meaning of my writing. Best to quote the whole post when you refer to the whole quote because what you get out of it and what I meant may be two different things. Sorry

(quote name='chiangmaikelly' timestamp='1361340152' post='6132669')

(/quote)

Sorry I can't respond as you have changed the meaning of my writing. Best to quote the whole post when you refer to the whole quote because what you get out of it and what I meant may be two different things. Sorry

Please pay attention, I did quote your complete posts before and it was still complete as quote in quote in quote. Now no longer a quote (too many of them), but I highlighed things for you.

Anyway, nice you cannot respond, must have been a ghost reply smile.png

"The Thai economy grew 18.9% in Q4 2012 in relation to Q4 2011"

This is disingenuous, to put it very mildly, the on Q4 2011 a large part of the country and its most important industrial areas was under water for weeks or even months and the economy plummeted. Now things are merely back to normal plus an unsustainable injection of borrowed money into the economy.

Yay, fantastic, what a marvelous performance by the government. I should check if now the trains run on time too.

This is disingenuous, to put it very mildly, the on Q4 2011 a large part of the country and its most important industrial areas was under water for weeks or even months and the economy plummeted. Now things are merely back to normal plus an unsustainable injection of borrowed money into the economy.

Yay, fantastic, what a marvelous performance by the government. I should check if now the trains run on time too.

Hardly disingenuous, this from the OP , "The Thai economy suffered a double-digit contraction in the wake of the months-long floods, which deluged vast swathes of the country in 2011, killing hundreds of people and causing widespread damage to factories."

Perhaps you could tell us how much the government borrowed and what is a sustainable injection of borrowed cash. Or were you just being critical because you don't care to acknowledge 2012 was a very good year for the Thai economy.

Hardly disingenuous, this from the OP , "The Thai economy suffered a double-digit contraction in the wake of the months-long floods, which deluged vast swathes of the country in 2011, killing hundreds of people and causing widespread damage to factories."

Perhaps you could tell us how much the government borrowed and what is a sustainable injection of borrowed cash. Or were you just being critical because you don't care to acknowledge 2012 was a very good year for the Thai economy.

As I said, disingenuous, for further reference find a dictionary.

As I said, disingenuous, for further reference find a dictionary.

1. Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating. Which they are not at all because they discussed, " double-digit contraction in the wake of the months-long floods, which deluged vast swathes of the country in 2011, killing hundreds of people and causing widespread damage to factories."

Try reading the OP before posting.

I really don't know what all the bickering is about. Seems to me one can agree with the OP or disagree. Either the economy soared in Q4 or it did not. Seems to me either you like the fact the fact that the Thai economy soared in Q4 of 2012 or you do not.

Your attitude here reminds me of your attitude on the thread regarding the first buyer car tax rebate:.either you agree more cars were sold or you don't, and if you agree, that must therefore mean you agree the policy was a success, end of story. Now, as with then, you demonstrate a complete unwillingness to open your eyes and to consider and to debate the wider picture of things such as background to the data, and instead just go on repeating the same narrow-minded headline-grabbing mantra, the Thai economy soared in Q4!!!... woe betide anyone who dare discuss anything apart from that single statement.

I find it hard to believe you adopt a similarly simple-minded attitude to economic news such as this when it happens to emanate from your homeland, and suspect you are far more questioning with regards underlying factors and issues that lie beneath the dramatic headlines, but maybe i'm wrong...

If the lurking question is "Did the Economy soar?" the answer is NO. The use of the term soar is pure journalistic hyperbole. Did it meet projected professional expectations for the year, YES, and did Q4 prove [oddly in some respects] to have been a major contributor to that [as opposed to a more linear effect] the answer is YES.

Now the NESDB use the qualifying term "low base effect" 15 times in the 32 page document, which might be considered by some to be a hint.

In addition there are issues within the figures which raise questions as to the existing health of the economy and for 2013. However, the overall view posited is still positive, though one could argue that a prime function of the NESDB is to promote the country, not unreasonably.

Now the Damoclean Sword hanging over this is inscribed with the words Rice and First Time Vehicles and given the view of the World Bank's senior East Asia and the Pacific economist Dr. Kirida Bhaopichitr, the impact could be in excess of 3.5% of GDP which given growth of some 4.5% might well be viewed as having a significant impact.

Your attitude here reminds me of your attitude on the thread regarding the first buyer car tax rebate:.either you agree more cars were sold or you don't, and if you agree, that must therefore mean you agree the policy was a success, end of story. Now, as with then, you demonstrate a complete unwillingness to open your eyes and to consider and to debate the wider picture of things such as background to the data, and instead just go on repeating the same narrow-minded headline-grabbing mantra, the Thai economy soared in Q4!!!... woe betide anyone who dare discuss anything apart from that single statement.

I find it hard to believe you adopt a similarly simple-minded attitude to economic news such as this when it happens to emanate from your homeland, and suspect you are far more questioning with regards underlying factors and issues that lie beneath the dramatic headlines, but maybe i'm wrong...

Easier to discuss the poster rather than the post. Especially if you don't like the facts of the post.biggrin.png

If the lurking question is "Did the Economy soar?" the answer is NO. The use of the term soar is pure journalistic hyperbole. Did it meet projected professional expectations for the year, YES, and did Q4 prove [oddly in some respects] to have been a major contributor to that [as opposed to a more linear effect] the answer is YES.

Now the NESDB use the qualifying term "low base effect" 15 times in the 32 page document, which might be considered by some to be a hint.

In addition there are issues within the figures which raise questions as to the existing health of the economy and for 2013. However, the overall view posited is still positive, though one could argue that a prime function of the NESDB is to promote the country, not unreasonably.

Now the Damoclean Sword hanging over this is inscribed with the words Rice and First Time Vehicles and given the view of the World Bank's senior East Asia and the Pacific economist Dr. Kirida Bhaopichitr, the impact could be in excess of 3.5% of GDP which given growth of some 4.5% might well be viewed as having a significant impact.

Any economic term or in fact most economic news is meaningless unless compared to something else. Another quarter or another year or another country. If a triple dip recession is normal then Thai performance is certainly soaring.

The interesting part of the good news over 2012 with a 4.6% growth in GDP, even in November 2012 we had

""Thailand's finance ministry remains confident that economic growth this year will reach 5.5 per cent and 5.2 per cent next year.""

http://www.thaivisa....-thailand-asia/

and on 2012-12-27

"Thailand's gross domestic product (GDP) this year is adjusted upward slightly from 5.5 per cent to 5.7 per cent mainly due to the government stimulus actions in various projects, according to the Finance Ministry."

http://www.thaivisa....s-g-d-p-growth/