Cost Of Painting A Hilux?

Thanks for the replies.

Would have to take a real hit on the resale to make it worthwhile at that price.

Not too sure what you mean. If you paint it a stock colour and make it look nice you can sell it easily, but I doubt you would get your money back. Paint it some unusual colour and the value can decrease - punters might suspect it's been in an accident. Changing the colour is also more expensive when done properly - have to paint inside the doors, under hood, etc. Either way, 40K is dirt cheap for a quality paint job. I shudder to think what that would cost in the West now!

Thanks for the replies.

Would have to take a real hit on the resale to make it worthwhile at that price.

Not too sure what you mean. If you paint it a stock colour and make it look nice you can sell it easily, but I doubt you would get your money back. Paint it some unusual colour and the value can decrease - punters might suspect it's been in an accident. Changing the colour is also more expensive when done properly - have to paint inside the doors, under hood, etc. Either way, 40K is dirt cheap for a quality paint job. I shudder to think what that would cost in the West now!

It would only be to tart it up for sale- same colour, but doesn't sound as though it would be worth it.

How about this.

www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

very hard work though.

Thanks for that link. Wish I'd known that when I was driving a 20 year old Hunter with more bog than steel in the body. I just used a spray can, but it didn't look very nice.

Think I'm a bit too decrepit to attempt that now, though.

I'm trying out this method on my ancient car...as I said before is bloody hard work and my results are no where near as good as rickwrench's...but if it keeps the rust at bay for a while then I'm happy ( well kind of )

post-2109-0-59724900-1361611069_thumb.jp

Some before photos

The paint is coming off in sheets and

running like they sprayed it with some sort of water based paint.

post-2109-0-13764200-1361611066_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-54683900-1361611063_thumb.jp

Edited by johng

I'm trying out this method on my ancient car...as I said before is bloody hard work and my results are no where near as good as rickwrench's...but if it keeps the rust at bay for a while then I'm happy ( well kind of )

attachicon.gifSAM_0139 (Medium).JPG

Some before photos

attachicon.gifSAM_0150 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0157 (Medium).JPG

I don t believe in this thing at al 6 layers means at least 6 times sandpapering and a lot of polishing afterwoods.

Count the real cost I would say instead of 50 dollars like 10 days not working a pile of sandpaper and a lot of polisher

and a polishing machine to and on top of it if its your only car you need to hire another car because yours the paint isn t dry and the parts are mounted out.

laugh.png

attachicon.gifSAM_0139 (Medium).JPG

Some before photos

attachicon.gifSAM_0150 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0157 (Medium).JPG

I don t believe in this thing at al 6 layers means at least 6 times sandpapering and a lot of polishing afterwoods.

Count the real cost I would say instead of 50 dollars like 10 days not working a pile of sandpaper and a lot of polisher

and a polishing machine to and on top of it if its your only car you need to hire another car because yours the paint isn t dry and the parts are mounted out.

laugh.png

There was a time a good car had more than 6 layers.

It always was the labour with painting a care even sprayed. THe only thing with this is he got away with a roller.

Those days from up to 10 layers like Rolls Royce did they used a different paintsystem to.

A system where the glow gets deeper and more shiny after each layer.

The paint here in Thailand used now is the paint the western world has ruled out almost

Just mix it with thinner and start spraying it will dry very fast.

With a 3 way system you need a groundlayer then the collor then the finishing layer for the

protection and the glow.

Al very economical and simple.

While the waterbased ones we use now in the west makes it al far more expensive

You need a special created cabine t to get it dry with a high temperture.

Then it still takes 24 hours.

Simply because water doesn t evaporate as easy as thinner does.

Edited by roadrunner300