Help With Visa Options Please :)

40 year Norwegian, married to thai women (august 2012). Living in Bangkok (using chang wattana immigration office).

Entered Thailand on Non-Imm ED visa 4 july 2011. Changed school march 2012 (and paper etc through school/government). I have extended the non-imm ED visa every 90 days, and it will expire 24 march 2013. I have used ED visa for about allmost 4 years, and will not continue use from now on.

I have more than 100k bath in thai account in my name for a long time. It's not 400k, and will not be 400k until maybe end of this year. I have money in norwegian accounts & stocks, but will not transfer into Thailand until end of this year.

I would prefer getting a visa where I don't need to go out and in to activate another 90 days. i.e. I prefer extension every 90 days (or better extension every year if possible) + 90 day reporting.

Questions:

1) Can I use money in Norwegian bank for use for non-imm O (marriage)?

2) Is it possible to get another visa/extension without going out of Thailand? i.e convert my non-imm ED visa to non-imm O (marriage), or?

3) if 2) is ok, what funds do they require? 100k, 400k?

4) If I need to go out of the country I've read about Laos and KL. KL require 100k, and Laos maybe require money in bank. If I go to Laos and they require money in bank - how much in bank? 100k, 400k?

5) If I get one of the visas above, will it be extendable inside Thailand or do I need to go out/in every 90 days?

6) I've read that I can get non-imm O (marriage) multi-entry in Laos/KL. Is it possible to extend this every 90 days (or 1 year) inside Thailand, or do I need to go out and in to activate another 90 days? i.e. is multi-entry = in/out every 90 days?

7) I have all the papers for non-o (marriage), but the kor ro 2 & 3 are from when we married in august 2012. Do I need to go and update the 3 (or 2?) with a new date showing I'm still married just before I do the visa? (or is august 2012 new enough?)

8) Any other better/easier solution for me to stay in Thailand? (preferable without go in/out of country). I know of Tourist visa but it looks like to much hassle (in/out every 90 days, immigration to extend 60->90).... so don't like this option.

I don't know how your embassy handles proof of income letters but you might be able to show your bank accounts and income from stocks if it totals up to the equivalent of 480K baht that would equal 40K baht monthly income needed for a one year extension.

You should be able to the extension with your ED visa but some immigration offices will insist that you need to go out and get single entry non-o visa.

If cannot meet the financial requirements for the extension your only option will be to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage which would require making border runs every 90 days until you can put 400K baht in the bank for 60 days. After that you could do the extension during the last 30 days of any of your 90 day entries from the visa.

For the extension you will need to get a new Kor Ror 2.

The embassy or consulate will only need your marriage certificate (Kor Ror 3) for the visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

1. You mean for extension of stay (not required for O visa) and answer is no unless as part of income declaration from your Embassy.

2. You may be able to get a 60 day extension to visit spouse but beyond that will require a new entry as you say you can not qualify for extension of stay financially.

3. The requirement is 400k in bank account two months or 40k per month income for one year extensions.

4. Single entry O should be available anywhere without financials. Savannakhet does not require financials for multi entry - KL would require proof of 100k (but might accept in home country one time).

5. Only extendable when you meet financials - but you could obtain 60 day extension as in section 2.

6. As said you must exit/return for new 90 day stays except as stated in 5 above.

7. Only the ledger entry is updated and that is not required for visas. When you apply for one year extension it may be asked and need updating.

8. Meet the financial requirements and obtain one year extensions of stay.

Thx for great input smile.png some follow up questions...

2. You may be able to get a 60 day extension to visit spouse but beyond that will require a new entry as you say you can not qualify for extension of stay financially.

---> What papers do I need to get this 60 day extension? I can do this at chang wattana in BKK? My current extension (non-imm ED) expires 24 march. If I do this will it be 24 march+60 days, or will it be the day I extend + 60 days?

4. Single entry O should be available anywhere without financials. Savannakhet does not require financials for multi entry - KL would require proof of 100k (but might accept in home country one time).

---> Single entry O in this case is 90 days, or 1 year?

---> Multi entry in this case is also 90 days, or 1 year? or is it 1 year, but need to go out/in every 90 days? (I'm a little confused about how multi-entry visa works)

Edited by RR3636

Your spouse and marriage proof and ID/home register along with normal TM.7 extension application and fee would be required for the 60 day extension and could be done at Chiang Watanna if living in Bangkok.

Single entry non immigrant O visa is one entry of 90 days which must be made within 90 days of issue.

Multi entry non immigrant O visa is unlimited number of entries of 90 days for a period of one year from date of issue.

3. The requirement is 400k in bank account two months or 40k per month income for one year extensions.

If I use the 40k per month, can all or part of this come from my wife? i.e. if she has salary of 25k and I have salary of 15k (40k total) - would this be ok? or does it need to come all from me?