I'm Looking For Dell Laptop Battery Charger

steelepulse

I called Dell looking for a new battery charger for my latitude d630 and have yet to hear back. Currently using a generic charger but it's not working well and does not charge the battery at all and it's causing other minor problems.

Does anyone have an old Dell laptop charger that I can buy? Who knows if I'll ever hear back from Dell!

Really nothing cosmic about a laptop battery charger..you just need to ensure 3 things...and maybe a 4th:

(1) it charges at the same voltage (or pretty durn close) as your old one That is, if for example the charger output was 15V then buy a 15V charger

(2) its amperage/wattage output is equal to or greater than your old charger. Ex: old charger was rated at 90W output, be sure to get one that can put out at least 90W. So, now in my example you are looking for a charger that outputs 15V/90W.

(3) the connector that plugs into the laptop is the same size to ensure a firm connection. Lots of connectors look the same size at first glance but are slightly different sizes. Many times a charger will come with about a half doze different adapters and you use the one that fits properly. Be sure to get the polarity correct when installing the adapter.

And there would be a 4th I guess...buy one that works on 120V/220V 50/60Hz (this is pretty standard nowdays) which will work worldwide.

When my Toshiba laptop charger died about 18 months ago (a 15V/90W charger) I just bought universal 120W, 120/220V charger...and by universal I mean there was a selectable switch on the side I could set to several voltages between 15 to 24V. I set it to 15V and its been working fine since. And it came with about a half dozen connector adapters so a person could pick the right one to plug into the computer. Not sure what part of Thailand you are in but usually laptop chargers of preset or selectable voltage are not too hard to find at many electronics stores.

I had a similar problem before - Dell battery not charging. in a diagnostic session via telephone, the Dell helpdesk verified it was a charging circuit problem on the mother board; not a battery problem, nor a charger problem.

hope you checked this before searching for a new charger.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem before - Dell battery not charging. in a diagnostic session via telephone, the Dell helpdesk verified it was a charging circuit problem on the mother board; not a battery problem, nor a charger problem.

hope you checked this before searching for a new charger.

I have had a Dell Inspiron laptop for 2 years now and have had nothing but problems. In the first 2 months everything crashed and had to be be replaced by Dell.Now l am getting messages that the battery needs replacing which l do not understand as l have never used the battery power as l only connect to the electric at home. Does any TV member know what the problem is? Maybe the battery charger or another problem so any help would be appreciated. I have had Compaq and other laptops but Dell is the worst l have had. Thanks

Edited by techno

I have had a Dell Inspiron laptop for 2 years now and have had nothing but problems. In the first 2 months everything crashed and had to be be replaced by Dell.Now l am getting messages that the battery needs replacing which l do not understand as l have never used the battery power as l only connect to the electric at home. Does any TV member know what the problem is? Maybe the battery charger or another problem so any help would be appreciated. I have had Compaq and other laptops but Dell is the worst l have had. Thanks

Yes, you've never used the battery.. Keeping the laptop plugged in all the time keeps the charge on the battery at a trickle charge. Over time the structure of the battery ages faster without use. Even worse would be to take out the battery and never charge it. Batteries have a definite life, and exercising the chemicals in the battery will actually help the battery live longer. Keeping the battery unplugged from the laptop would kill it even faster, especially if it is a Lion battery. NiCad batteries get a "memory" based on how they are used. Discharging only a little bit or never using the battery will set the "memory" at a very low use time. NiMH also suffers from high temperatures reducing their life and also suffer "memory" reduction in capacity.

ref: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/lithium-ion-batteries-improve-hybrids1.htm

Of course, YMMV and not all batteries live as long as others. Then there is the possibility the charging circuit on the motherboard has issues.

Expect his laptop battery is a Lithium-ion battery which does not have a memory effect--or so the experts say. However, but, a lithium-ion battery still deteriorates over time with or without use...and some laptop manufactures still recommend they be fully discharged approximately monthly to get maximum battery lifespan. And even with lithium-ion batteries the product quality varies....just like with varying quality of NiCD and NiMH batteries.

I have two Toshiba laptops, both of which use Lithium-ion batteries. One laptop is used all time/daily--like right now--and stays plugged in probably over 95% of the time...like right now. Just last week I replaced the battery after approx two years of use because I noticed during that 5% of the time I use it on battery-only it would only give me about 20 minutes run time when its normal/new battery runtime was around 90 minutes. The other laptop pretty much serves as a backup/occasional use and gets turned on for about an hour every week or two for about an hour to top-up/fully recharge and download the latest Windows software updates and Firewall/AntiVirus updates. I also just replaced that battery last week--it was around 3 years old--since it would only hold a charge for about 10 minutes of runtime after being fully charged and also would lose the majority of its charge if turned off for about two weeks. But with above being said I would still intentionally discharge the batteries down to around 5-10% remaining charge periodically...maybe every 2 or 3 months....and then fully recharge.

Yea, the experts say a Lithium-ion battery has no memory effect...but they still deteriorate slowly and for "whatever reasons" (chemical reactions in the battery)...hold less-and-less charge as they get older. Sometimes they just die overnight just like a car a lead-acid car battery. But regardless of what the battery experts say about no memory on lithium-ion batteries I will continue to intentionally fully discharge (down to about 5%) at least every 2 or 3 months because right or wrong I think it gives them a longer lifespan.

I had the same issue with a charger for the lattitude d630. After searching ebay and buying a few chargers i found that none of them worked as they should i then found a website which sell a whole range of laptop chargers and they are all genuine!! and the even better thing is that they are cheaper than some on ebay! This is a link to the site i used Dell Lattitude D630 Laptop Charger I would recommend this site as i have now used it more than once and never had a bad experience. Very fast delivery and great communication when asking a question.

Edited by cairomoonkane

• 3 months later...

FortuneTown has this place on the 3rd floor I think called New Power Battery that sells OEM laptop batteries and chargers. I got a dell battery for an inspiron n5110 recently for about 2,400. Works perfectly and 6 month replacement warranty from the seller.

There may be a different shop near the larger bangkok bank on the 2nd/3rd floor according to this post: http://t2.thai360.com/index.php?/topic/58924-new-laptop-battery/#entry1390348 . Maybe its the same shop, but I don't remember the BkB being close.

Yes, I too unfortunately bought a Dell in Thailand. The notebook itself isn't too bad, but when you need something fixed.....good luck if you don't stay in bangkok. Especially if you buy the "oversized" one. Warranty or not, their phone/email support is not the best.....for english, they force you to call and it will be routed to Malaysia, even though an email ticket system would be much more effective, and you could attach screenshots/photos/etc. Then follow up with a phone call..