Currency Exchange Not Accepting Us $100 On 2003 Or Earlier

KED

I am currently back in the U.S. and usually return with some USD with much of that in 100 denominations since I get the best exchange rate. I haven't seen a discussion about Thai Exchange Counters not taking any USD $100 issued 2003 or earlier - but I have come across this problem - so now I always check the issue date and bring only after 2003. Is this common knowledge? If I do manage to have some bills that they don't accept, I have found that the U.S. embassy will accept them for payment of Passport renewal fees or any other fees paid to their cashier.

According to a news report I saw, the N. Koreans flooded the world with $100 notes that were so good even Treasury agents have a hard time spotting them. The US Treasury is now trying to destroy that series as fast as they can bring them in.

Only crisp new $100 notes should ever be brought overseas.

Every bank has its own policy about which banknotes they accept for exchange. A batch of somewhat older 50 Malaysian Ringgit notes I had was rejected by the Katsikorn Bank, but accepted by the Bangkok Bank. Even at the Katsikorn Bank they told be that that type of 50 Ringgit notes still could be used no problem in Malaysia itself.

This doesn't make sense. I have a small stash of $100 bills - representatives from series 1998 thru 2006.

These bills all appear identical; same watermarks in the paper, etc., same printing. Other than the 'Series 19xx or 20xx' and the Treasury head signature, I cannot tell any difference in these notes, including their paper. Forex offices would appear to be arbitrary and non-sensical in their rejection of earlier series notes. The same identifiers they look for in post 2003 notes, to spot counterfeits, would be the exact same identifiers found in the older notes back to at least 1998.

but TIT.