Tomatoes Second Attempt

After my pathetic first attempt to grow tomatoes in Thailand failed due to the ongoing rain, I decided to grow them under a canopy, this would also shade the plants from direct sun.

The varieties are Ailsa Craig (Heirloom) & Marmande (continental beefsteak)

The seeds were planted on 12th November 2012, and I just picked the first Marmande today 20th February 2013, the Ailsa Craig are slowly stating to ripen, on the five plants are about sixty five tomatoes.

The tomato feed was a homemade brew.

The main problem I have is Leaf Minor, totally my fault because I thought the little striped flies with clear wings were after insects, but actually were injecting larvae into the leaf.

Happy Growing

post-9958-0-57040700-1361359023_thumb.jp

post-9958-0-36625800-1361359051_thumb.jp

post-9958-0-12862900-1361359065_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Hi Sometime, well done, looks like a big improvement over your last effort, and thats a nice looking 'Mande" i have grown lots of that heirloom tomatoes and the "Mande" does very well in the winter here in Australia as well as summer, and if grown well they can be very large, it has a beautifull taste but as with many heirlooms sometimes it suffers from blossom end scars, misshappen fruit, and catfacing, but thats the challenge of growing tomatoes with taste.

Cheers

scoop

Edited by Scoop1

Bellow are this year's varieties; Sometimes I struggle through the rainy season, generally speaking is not worth it, by that time we had enough of tomatoes, as good as they are !

Anahu
Atkinson
Arkansas Marvel
Beam's yellow pear
Burrel Special
Chocolate Stripes
Green Grape
Homestead
Hawaian Currant
Mortgage Lifter
Santiago