How Do The Common Thai Look On Other People With Overweight?

Welder

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do wonder how people can let themselves go that much. Way before that point id say enough is enough and make sure i get rid of it. It would not be all about looks but certainly about my health, all that visceral fat is a killer.. not to mention you could get diabetic easy.

But I guess for many that bottle of beer is more important as their health and those nice foods of course. There is nothing wrong with letting go at times, but once you do it too much you end up like those guys and or girls.

How fat is too fat ? I have a simple rule here, and it has nothing to do with BMI - if I cant sit in an economy class seat on most airlines without the person next to me 'overflowing' into my space, they are overweight. I dont care if its an Olympic weightlifter, shotputter or whatever - I'm well over 6' tall and I know aht pizza tastes like, but I can keep my bulk within the confines of those tiny seats. 7' tall Danes and others should be shelling out for the Premium Economy and Business Class seats, and serious fatties should be paying for same or *two* economy seats. I just dont see why the rest of us should be wedged into an even tinier space by someone with zero impulse control or a glandular problem.

As for the Thai perception, they have their own problem brewing with overweight, indulged kids - the younger generation also seems to be taller than their parents. Stuffed if I know where they are buying their clothes - even in MBK, I often struggle to find anything above a 'medium' size on pants or shirts. When I do find larger sizes, its often in cargo pants/shorts - for some reason, Thais seem to assume that Western fashion reached its zenith sometime in the late 90s, and anything beyond the cargo pant is a needless extravagance. ;)

(fwiw, I do know where Rajah Tailors moved to - I just dont want to go there for a pair of jeans or a t-shirt)

Could the OP define the 'common Thai' please coffee1.gif

I can not see why that should have to be defined in the first place and then I thought that it would be easy to do that but now that I am trying it is a lot harder than I first imagine it to be but I give it a try anyway.

Farmers, teachers, factoryemployed, secretarys, cardealers, fruitdealers, welders, pipefitters, nurses, and so on.

You can pretty much define all of the Thais who aren't making a living by selling tourists some kind of illusion and depends on the income that they bring by believing what they are being told.

Unsure if an influx of trolls has hit here lately. Seems like everyone with < 15 posts are meking troll threads then leaving never replying again.

And then there are people that just reached +100 posts that instead of bringing something useful to the threads just post some BS. Why do you even bother if you cant contribute?

Do you need some cheese to that whine?

So does anyone know how the common thai look on people with overweight?

I don't understand why you ask. Let's say they dislike overweight peeople, would you join a slimming program just to satisfy their opinion? unsure.png

Edited by Semper

In the interests of science ... could you please describe ... overweight

Where the subject spoken about fit below?

1-s2.0-S0165178102001385-gr1.gif

Great picture.

For the ladies I would say 5,6 and 7 and for the men 6 and 7 and no 5 are in the grey area.

As for myself I am a 6 but with the arms and legs from no 2. I want to think that makes me a 4 but we all know that is not the truth.

Anyway, that is how I would define it, maybe Thais will define it in a different way?

I do wonder how people can let themselves go that much. Way before that point id say enough is enough and make sure i get rid of it. It would not be all about looks but certainly about my health, all that visceral fat is a killer.. not to mention you could get diabetic easy.

But I guess for many that bottle of beer is more important as their health and those nice foods of course. There is nothing wrong with letting go at times, but once you do it too much you end up like those guys and or girls.

what about people who cannot lose weight and exercise, people who have bad hips and the bones of their back has been partially eaten away by a bad disease and need knee construction and have to use a walking stick and get tired after 30 metres. who have shoulder complaints and cannot life anything .. not all people are fat by choice.

• Like 1

I don't understand why you ask. Let's say they dislike overweight peeople, would you join a slimming program just to satisfy their opinion? unsure.png

Did you read my first post at all?

I asked just because I been having different discusions before on the subject but most with men that are sure about how Thais thinks about pretty much anything when they in fact never have met "common" Thais. And after I been talking to a friends thaiwife and listen to what she told me and also been told other things from some of my thaifriends I thought that I give it a try on this forum as well.

I didn't know that you have to motivate yourself regarding why you want to be a part in a debate on this forum. I find the subject to be interresting and if you don't agree you can move on to a subject that you find more interesting due to your personal taste.

And no, I have no intention to change my way of living just to satisfy others. If I do that it will be for my own well being, nothing else.

• Like 1

what about people who cannot lose weight and exercise, people who have bad hips and the bones of their back has been partially eaten away by a bad disease and need knee construction and have to use a walking stick and get tired after 30 metres. who have shoulder complaints and cannot life anything .. not all people are fat by choice.

You are right but how big a percentage is that of the fatties, more often then not its an excuse as eating less and not drinking (try to tell that to a Brit) can help a lot. There is always exercise.. swimming everyone can do. People who really have a problem are a minority real small numbers and even those can do something to improve. (to a certain extent)

In the interests of science ... could you please describe ... overweight

Where the subject spoken about fit below?

Great picture.

For the ladies I would say 5,6 and 7 and for the men 6 and 7 and no 5 are in the grey area.

As for myself I am a 6 but with the arms and legs from no 2. I want to think that makes me a 4 but we all know that is not the truth.

Anyway, that is how I would define it, maybe Thais will define it in a different way?

I have the head of a 1 with the body of a 7 , the left arm of a 2 and the right arm of a 5, I am graced with the right leg of a 1 and left leg of 3 . Perfect design , just like Kate , but I am a bloke .

• Like 1

You are right but how big a percentage is that of the fatties, more often then not its an excuse as eating less and not drinking (try to tell that to a Brit) can help a lot. There is always exercise.. swimming everyone can do. People who really have a problem are a minority real small numbers and even those can do something to improve. (to a certain extent)

everyone cannot do swimming , and you call them fatties well they are overweight people and dont like to be called FATTIES , and all brits are not big drinkers , i agreed with some of you comments , but not when you get down and abuse people for being overweight and brits being big drinkers, what about aussies and germans and the rest of the world there are big drinkers in all , so dont single out brits and dont call people fatties . this is not polite . just because you done something about your weight does not give you the right too abuse overweight people

The truth is science is showing more and more that most people don't have as much control of their obesity problem as the hard line cultural Calvinists think. Also keeping in mind the new wrinkle of obesogenic environments which is spreading to urban Thailand. I agree people should do what they can, but for most people, statistically, it usually backfires. I think looking at a fat person and assuming he has total control of his condition, guilt and blame, is a form of INTOLERANCE.

Edited by Jingthing

everyone cannot do swimming , and you call them fatties well they are overweight people and dont like to be called FATTIES , and all brits are not big drinkers , i agreed with some of you comments , but not when you get down and abuse people for being overweight and brits being big drinkers, what about aussies and germans and the rest of the world there are big drinkers in all , so dont single out brits and dont call people fatties . this is not polite . just because you done something about your weight does not give you the right too abuse overweight people

I am not abusing anyone here, Thais call them uan (fat) I just did the same. Just feel that Brits have much more a drinking culture then others sorry if that offends you.

I do agree with you that not everyone can exercise but out of a hundred that is not 10 it might be 1 or so. But you can still eat less or drink less. Its just tough luck if you gain weight more as others (i know i do). Just means you have to do more about it then others. Not everyone is gifted with the same genes or looks or whatever. Does not excuse you does make it harder.

I don't look down on people with overweight if they choose it their choice, if they moan about it and don't do a thing.. then i look down on them. So i am not attacking anyone.

• Like 1

The truth is science is showing more and more that most people don't have as much control of their obesity problem as the hard line cultural Calvinists think. Also keeping in mind the new wrinkle of obesogenic environments which is spreading to urban Thailand. I agree people should do what they can, but for most people, statistically, it usually backfires. I think looking at a fat person and assuming he has total control of his condition, guilt and blame, is a form of INTOLERANCE.

JT you are loosing weight too.. because you did something about it you said it yourself you lost 10kg compared to a few years ago. So its possible for everyone it takes change. If your not willing to change then don't bitch about it.

That people fail is because they see it as a diet not a life long change of habits. So keep messing up those numbers JT as long as it makes you feel good.

That's absurd. For most fat people, it is not their choice. Most fat people have been on 100 diets. They would choose that they would work. Statistically, usually they don't. This kind of moral judging other people when you haven't walked in THEIR shoes is simply unfair.

That's absurd. For most fat people, it is not their choice. Most fat people have been on 100 diets. They would choose that they would work. Statistically, usually they don't. This kind of moral judging other people when you haven't walked in THEIR shoes is simply unfair.

JT the diets don't work because its a temporary fix get that through your mind and your a few steps ahead.

Actually i thought you already knew that because you were talking sustained changes in an other thread.

JT you are loosing weight too.. because you did something about it you said it yourself you lost 10kg compared to a few years ago. So its possible for everyone it takes change. If your not willing to change then don't bitch about it.

That people fail is because they see it as a diet not a life long change of habits. So keep messing up those numbers JT as long as it makes you feel good.

Don't personalize this dude. I ain't playing. I know, I know, it is your dedicated agenda to be intolerant of fat people and put them all in the same boat for your JUDGMENT. No matter if they have tried 100 times to lose weight or not. I think it's the wrong kind of moralistic approach to basically a medical and SOCIETAL issue.

Also, objectively, it is NOT possible for everyone. For the morbidly obese their only hope is usually bariatric surgery.

Edited by Jingthing

JT the diets don't work because its a temporary fix get that through your mind and your a few steps ahead.

Actually i thought you already knew that because you were talking sustained changes in an other thread.

You can ignore the overwhelming scientific evidence about the insidious biological nature of obesity if you like. I am confident the solution for the global obesity epidemic for the masses is going to come from scientific research, not morality lectures. Edited by Jingthing

Did you read my first post at all?

I asked just because I been having different discusions before on the subject but most with men that are sure about how Thais thinks about pretty much anything when they in fact never have met "common" Thais. And after I been talking to a friends thaiwife and listen to what she told me and also been told other things from some of my thaifriends I thought that I give it a try on this forum as well.

I didn't know that you have to motivate yourself regarding why you want to be a part in a debate on this forum. I find the subject to be interresting and if you don't agree you can move on to a subject that you find more interesting due to your personal taste.

And no, I have no intention to change my way of living just to satisfy others. If I do that it will be for my own well being, nothing else.

Well I don't want to be negative, but I don't think you'll find many "common" Thais on this forum.

Don't personalize this dude. I ain't playing. I know, I know, it is your dedicated agenda to be intolerant of fat people and put them all in the same boat. No matter if they have tried 100 times to lose weight or not. I think it's the wrong kind of moralistic approach to basically a medical and SOCIETAL issue.

You feel im intolerant against fat people because i don't believe your idiotic non sense. I debunk your stuff and you call me intolerant

The evidence is that we are putting the wrong things in our mouth and too much of it. Last time i checked nobody put a gun to your head and made you eat anything. Yes I know its hard, believe me i know but that does not mean it can't be done.

There is nothing personal about saying that you control your food intake and your exercise. Its also nothing personal that for some people its a harder fight as for others. But just small changes can help you for a long time no need to go extreme.

Well I don't want to be negative, but I don't think you'll find many "common" Thais on this forum.

Maybe not but I might get som answers from people that are involved with "common" thais by marriage or otherwise who can get some input from them?

Don't personalize this dude. I ain't playing. I know, I know, it is your dedicated agenda to be intolerant of fat people and put them all in the same boat. No matter if they have tried 100 times to lose weight or not. I think it's the wrong kind of moralistic approach to basically a medical and SOCIETAL issue.

You feel im intolerant against fat people because i don't believe your idiotic non sense. I debunk your stuff and you call me intolerant

The evidence is that we are putting the wrong things in our mouth and too much of it. Last time i checked nobody put a gun to your head and made you eat anything. Yes I know its hard, believe me i know but that does not mean it can't be done.

There is nothing personal about saying that you control your food intake and your exercise. Its also nothing personal that for some people its a harder fight as for others. But just small changes can help you for a long time no need to go extreme.

Not everyone is you. You think your personal experience applies to all humanity. It doesn't. I look to science. You have not debunked the science. I would not be so arrogant as to judge all fat people the way you do. I think that is morally wrong,

Also you know this thread was about Thai people's attitude towards fat anyway. Then you come on with the predictable being fat is always a choice mantra. It's not really what this thread was supposed to be about, was it?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Not everyone is you. You think your personal experience applies to all humanity. It doesn't. I look to science. You have not debunked the science. I would not be so arrogant as to judge all fat people the way you do. I think that is morally wrong,

Tell me please when the first law of thermodynamics has seized to apply to humans. That is science JT.

Mind you no system is 100% efficient so small things might be said for it but in general it applies.

Edited by robblok

The truth is science is showing more and more that most people don't have as much control of their obesity problem ...

Hey Jingthing, your thoughts on obesity have been well documented here on the Forum over the years.

So, out of curiosity, which of the shapes do you closely identify with below?

EDIT:- I was typing off the previous page and now have just have read your comments above. I don't mean to personalise it ... but you are welcome to share if you wish.

Edited by David48