Work Permits With No Tefl?

Yes. This is Thailand, amazing Tie-Land, where anything is possible if the Thai school wants to hire you and keep you legal, and they know the people in the province who really matter. Just wear a Thai tie.

I know anything can be arranged.

but legitimately, if a person has a teaching degree but no TEFL is a work permit allowed?

Yes. This is Thailand, amazing Tie-Land, where anything is possible if the Thai school wants to hire you and keep you legal, and they know the people in the province who really matter. Just wear a Thai tie.

I know anything can be arranged.

but legitimately, if a person has a teaching degree but no TEFL is a work permit allowed?

Why would you need a TEFL if you have a teaching degree? Eg. International school with an English curriculum - where is the need for a TEFL?

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

If you are going to each Math or Science in English at an international school do you need TEFL??

At a goverment school do you need TEFL

If you have a teaching Certificate (not a degree) but have taught in UK secondary schools for 25 years do you need a Degree and or TEFL to teach?

a. - English?

b. - Math?

c. - Music?

Work permits...

They appearr to cover you only for the premises that your school occupies, which would mean the ALL teachers who work off site e.g. at a factory are in breach of this.....?????

If you are employed by a University you don't need a teachers licence/permit?

If you change scchools do you have to leave the country to get a new Non immigrant "B"?

If you are going to each Math or Science in English at an international school do you need TEFL??

Depends on how good the international school is and also what you're teaching and what you want to teach. Generally you'd have a PGCE (or similar) in the subject you're teaching. But other int. schools (the not so good ones) that aren't so good might employ you to teach one thing, but get you a TL to teach something else (thus avoiding the need to have a specific qualification)

At a goverment school do you need TEFL

If you have a teaching Certificate (not a degree) but have taught in UK secondary schools for 25 years do you need a Degree and or TEFL to teach?

Again it can depend on the quals you have and the school. I've known 'proper' UK teachers have problems with this as back in the day you didn't need or get a degree to teach, rather just a certificate.

a. - English?

b. - Math?

c. - Music?

Again your degree should be specific (other than for English I think) or at least appropriate, but often you'll just be employed as an EFL teacher rather than a subject specific teacher.

Work permits...

They appearr to cover you only for the premises that your school occupies, which would mean the ALL teachers who work off site e.g. at a factory are in breach of this.....?????

Most teachers will be working off site illegally due to the strange rules they have there.

If you are employed by a University you don't need a teachers licence/permit?

Not sure about this and whether it applies to goverment/private? Will try and check!

If you change scchools do you have to leave the country to get a new Non immigrant "B"?

Generally yes that is the case, although in theory (and occasionally in practice) you don't have to (it can be transferred).

"QUOTE(Khutan @ 2006-03-05 11:10:58)

Short answer, yes. It also depends on the school.

So of I do not have a degree and I do not have a tefl I can still teach at a school and get a work permit?"

It is possible. It helps a lot if you are a native speaker. If not it helps a lot if you are white.

I believe that government schools, including matayom and prathom, don't require farang teachers to have a TL. Of course, they should have work permits, but it appears they often don't get WP, even if they're fully qualified, whether they're up country, down country, in country, or in krungthep.

Yes, it seems more goverment schools don't require their employed direct teachers to have a TL...although if you're working for them via an agency or private school you'll indeed generally need one.

I don't think this applies to all government schools etc. though, and I'm pretty sure you still need to go through the MoE...so it doesn't really change the requirements or make it any easier (although they do seem to be able to get WPs easier than private language schools can for those without a degree etc.).

Out of the main tourist areas it's generally easier to get legal with minimal paperwork, but there are no guarantees.

I believe that government schools, including matayom and prathom, don't require farang teachers to have a TL. Of course, they should have work permits, but it appears they often don't get WP, even if they're fully qualified, whether they're up country, down country, in country, or in krungthep.
Yes, it seems more goverment schools don't require their employed direct teachers to have a TL...although if you're working for them via an agency or private school you'll indeed generally need one.

I can confirm this. Iv'e been in Thailand for over 2 years, no uni degree but have a TEFL. It is impossible for me to get work through an agency or private school (unless they are dogey and say get a fake degree from Kao San) as they require a TL (TL requires a degree). It is possible for me to be employed directly through a government school (no TL required), however it does limit my chances as many schools say they want a degree, even if it's just their own school policy. Iv'e never had a problem getting a WP, and as there is no TL required, it usually only takes me 7 days to get it....simple as that! I know of people working with agencies and stuff where it's taken them up to 6 months to get their WP.

I can confirm this. Iv'e been in Thailand for over 2 years, no uni degree but have a TEFL. It is impossible for me to get work through an agency or private school (unless they are dogey and say get a fake degree from Kao San) as they require a TL (TL requires a degree). It is possible for me to be employed directly through a government school (no TL required), however it does limit my chances as many schools say they want a degree, even if it's just their own school policy. Iv'e never had a problem getting a WP, and as there is no TL required, it usually only takes me 7 days to get it....simple as that! I know of people working with agencies and stuff where it's taken them up to 6 months to get their WP.

Interested to know which part of the country you work in?

I have worked in Trang, now work in Hat yai. That's the far far south if your not quite sure.

I'm intersted to know why you want to know? Looking for a job?

Edited by DavieA

I have worked in Trang, now work in Hat yai. That's the far far south if your not quite sure.

I'm intersted to know why you want to know? Looking for a job?

I've been through Hat Yai on the way to Malaysia. No not looking for a job yet, maybe in a few years...but hopefully have my degree by then anyway. Thanks for the info

The MOE does not officialy recognise TEFL as a qualification.

It is certainly not a requirement for a WP.

The only people who have the slightest interest in you having a TEFL cert is the employer and i dont think they are that interested anyway.

Cheers Noodles.

PS i am not a teacher but a good friend of mine teaches one of the TEFL courses in Bkk.

Again it depends who you speak to in the MoE mate, and also how much push your school has.

It can be a requirement for the TL which in itself gets you the WP.

But then the same as with the degree issue it is possible to get a TL and thus WP without if your school is willing to push for you.

Also if your degree is unrelated to teaching and you're teaching EFL purely a TEFL can indeed be required.

But like most things here in Thailand there is no real hard and fast rule. What works for one, might not work for the other.

The only people who have the slightest interest in you having a TEFL cert is the employer and i dont think they are that interested anyway.

Cheers Noodles.

PS i am not a teacher but a good friend of mine teaches one of the TEFL courses in Bkk.

that flies in the face of everything I'm told...why do they insist on seeing a TEFL cert for the work permit at labour dept. then?

Cheers Noodles.

that flies in the face of everything I'm told...why do they insist on seeing a TEFL cert for the work permit at labour dept. then?

Maybe if the BA degree is in something like Basket Weaving or Introspective Thought, and is so far removed from teaching or the English language, they want to see a TEFL or CELTA certificate?

Not really (although that does make sense). It's all down to what they've been told they need....and what they think they need etc. Same as with a bank account....some say you can't open without a WP, some say you can......ahh the joys of Thailand!!!

Cheers Noodles.

Been dealing with MoE, MoL and Immigration department for six years. TEFL certificate is indeed required if your bachelor degree ain't in education.

Not really (although that does make sense). It's all down to what they've been told they need....and what they think they need etc. Same as with a bank account....some say you can't open without a WP, some say you can......ahh the joys of Thailand!!!

Bank account can be opened without a WP. All you need is the original contract (minimum six months) signed by you and the owner of your apartment etc. :o

Bank account can be opened without a WP. All you need is the original contract (minimum six months) signed by you and the owner of your apartment etc. :o

NWA, could we agree that these requirements differ by province, by type of English program, and by who goes with you? I got a bank account with only my passport, no reference to contract or residence, because I walked in there with an Ajarn 3 who'd taught most of the bank employees over the prior 22 years. That was in a province where, even with her walking me in there again, the MoL wouldn't have given me a WP if I had an Ed.D, a DELTA, and a loaded handgun pointed at the supervisor.

It depends. There is no hard and fast rules. Nobody really knows.