The Thai-Baht And The Future Of Farangs In Thailand

[

Good for you, but most European countries will freeze the pension if they know / find out that the pensioner is not living (for a certain amount of days in the year) in the Country where they receive the Pension

[/quote

They have been doing that for years if you are a New zealander] and I never counted on getting a government pension from them.

Also the nz$ is around 24.7 to the bhat and I have been here 10 years and it has been known to hit 22 so you usa and uk and Europeans at last you are joining the real world.

You guys have had it too good for too long now you are paying the price of government bad management and over spending

I can claim my pension outside UK and get increase if in certain Asian countries. the Thais have also been having it good with currency being weak they way it was with exports and tourism. If unemployment soars and debts are not repaid nobody will be having it to good here. USA UK and Europe are the real world, NZ, well good for Hobbit films but cannot be compared to USA UK and Europe when talking real world.

Please present some information to suggest that any of the negative things that fill your imagination, fantasy world will come true. The three credit rating agencies think Thailand is doing well and has a stable low unemployment future. I think they know a bit more than you. Why would you pull this kind of nonsense out of the hat. The UK is in a triple dip recession and about to have it's credit rating lowered by the same agencies that are saying nothing but good things about Thailand. You are way off base. If not present some information that supports your wild unreal ideas.

everything that goes up must come down.

the rest of the world was on the up and hit the recession, are you really that uneducated when it comes to economics to think Asia will avoid recession in the future and will stay on top?

china is already slowing down in growth, india has riots over inflation and a number of other issues, japan is about to collapse(currency)

you really think thailand economy is that strong to sustain the growth on its own?

That's a good question Lemoncake.

TP, when I see the term 'Farang', I take it to mean ALL foreigners in Thailand - yes, I know Thais have different names for various Asian and African people, but for me 'Farang' covers everyone who isnt ethnically Thai (how many of our countries would tolerate a term like 'luek kreung' - in Oz, you are either an Australian or you are not ..).

If that isnt your interpretation, or I've misread you, please advise.

Edited by MrWorldwide
  • Like 1

TP, when I see the term 'Farang', I take it to mean ALL foreigners in Thailand - yes, I know Thia have different names for various Asian and African people, but for me 'Farang' covers everyone who isnt ethnically Thai (how many of our countries would tolerate a term like 'luek kreung' - in Oz, you are either an Australian or you are not ..).

I just don't see the need to use the word, it's just ignorant.

If you want to talk about foreigners, why not use the word 'foreigner'.

Why the need for anyone to use a Thai slang insult word for white foreigner?

TP, when I see the term 'Farang', I take it to mean ALL foreigners in Thailand - yes, I know Thais have different names for various Asian and African people, but for me 'Farang' covers everyone who isnt ethnically Thai (how many of our countries would tolerate a term like 'luek kreung' - in Oz, you are either an Australian or you are not ..).

To the Thais, Farang means any white foreigner. They won't call Nigerians Farang, I mean the ones that hang around soi 3.

• Like 1

+1 beautifulthailand99, I don't think people realize the juggernaut that's on it's way from China.

When I was in CM two weeks ago I saw restaurant staff members practising Chinese phrases and the boss told me he was getting a menu prepared in Mandarin. The Chinese were everywhere ( as they are entitled to be ) and there will be a vast increase in tourism from that country shortly, especially I predict in Chiang Mai.

I'm like a broken record on this subject, the Chinese are coming, they're looking for bargains, they're looking for investments, they're looking for relaxation, and most worryingly for a lot of Western guys, they're looking for Brides.

Many of them are awash with money and they'll go snapping up the best of the women in a heartbeat. The competition is getting a whole lot hotter, and there's a weird thing on play in Chinese society, Chinese men almost always marry down. They regard marrying a Thai woman as marrying down.

I was in CM with a very wealthy Chinese friend 3 years ago, the girls reaction to him was unbelievable, and there is a fellow TV member that witnessed it. I have never seen anything like it in Thailand before or since, and the truth is, he wasn't one bit impressed.

Thailand is a big country and there's space for many people, however the tide of Chinese investment and tourism will change the country in many ways. The proposed High Speed Rail Link will be the battering ram, and the proposed Chinese Business District in Bangkok will see a surge of Chinese immigration like you cannot believe, and trust me on this one......the Chinese will not stand for any nonsense. Just wait till you see the reaction of the Chinese Embassy when the scam reports start flooding in, and if the wrong Chinese guy get's scammed, the Thai government will take a collective whitey.

It should be obvious to anyone that the young Thais look to Japan and South Korea as their role models, add to that the buying power of China and once again you will see the fall of the importance of the West to Thailand.

ps. I know one young Thai lady who is now engaged to a Chinese guy, and on a related matter, it's easy for Thais to get visas for China.

Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

Many of them are awash with money and they'll go snapping up the best of the women in a heartbeat. The competition is getting a whole lot hotter, and there's a weird thing on play in Chinese society, Chinese men always marry down. .

I've never seen a Chinese male tourist out with a Thai girl.

They may marry down, but I'm sure even they have limits (usually based on skin colour).

And I live here ........ so where do you see this happening ......Glasgow?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

+1 beautifulthailand99, I don't think people realize the juggernaut that's on it's way from China.

When I was in CM two weeks ago I saw staff members practising Chinese phrases and the boss told me he was getting a menu prepared in Mandarin. The Chinese were everywhere ( as they are entitled to be ) and there will be a vast increase in tourism from that country shortly, especially I predict in Chiang Mai.

I'm like a broken record on this subject, the Chinese are coming, they're looking for bargains, they're looking for investments, they're looking for relaxation, and most worryingly for a lot of Western guys, they're looking for Brides.

Many of them are awash with money and they'll go snapping up the best of the women in a heartbeat. The competition is getting a whole lot hotter, and there's a weird thing on play in Chinese society, Chinese men always marry down. .

Dont even know where to start with that - suffice it to say that I disagree with almost everyhing in that post. Congratulations ;)

• Like 1

Quite right theblether. The Chinese 'one child' policy has had a great influence on their population, not only on numbers but also on the gender balance. The preference for male offspring has resulted in a huge male 'surplus' and I expect many young Chinese males will look to Thailand as a prospective place to look for a wife, or maybe just to 'get water off chest'.

• Like 2

When I was in CM two weeks ago I saw staff members practising Chinese phrases and the boss told me he was getting a menu prepared in Mandarin. The Chinese were everywhere ( as they are entitled to be ) and there will be a vast increase in tourism from that country shortly, especially I predict in Chiang Mai.

Dont even know where to start with that - suffice it to say that I disagree with almost everyhing in that post. Congratulations wink.png

Well I just expanded upon the post so that'll give you even more to disagree with. thumbsup.gif

Quite right theblether. The Chinese 'one child' policy has had a great influence on their population, not only on numbers but also on the gender balance. The preference for male offspring has resulted in a huge male 'surplus' and I expect many young Chinese males will look to Thailand as a prospective place to look for a wife, or maybe just to 'get water off chest'.

There's a gender imbalance of over 20 million already in approx the 20-30 age group.

I've never seen a Chinese male tourist out with a Thai girl.

They may marry down, but I'm sure even they have limits (usually based on skin colour).

And I live here ........ so where do you see this happening ......Glasgow?

I'll meet you the next time I'm in CM and introduce you to the lady that's engaged to the Chinese guy. You see Tommo, sitting on a farm in Nan isn't exactly the best vantage point for changes to Thai society. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

There's a gender imbalance of over 20 million already in approx the 20-30 age group.

This is just BS, they don't want hookers for wives, they don't marry girls with tattoos.

No scam, because they don't buy Thai girls houses or cars.

Chinese are one of the biggest 'racial purity' groups in the world, they don't want to marry outside their racial group.

But I guess they might use a Thai girl as a one night sex toy ........ but I haven't seen that so far.

There have been large Chinese tour groups in Thailand for decades - what you are suggesting is something quite different, and the Thais aren't stupid when it comes to a business opportunity of that magnitude. I just doubt that we will see scores of Chinese men sitting on bar stools in Pattaya anytime soon. Just as the majority of Japanese like to keep their Sanuk activities in Thailand behind closed doors, the last place a single Chinese man would want to be spotted is in a bar on Walking St with hordes of family groups from China strolling past. I know a couple of Thai guys with a travel agency on Suk Soi 22 in BKK - this will make for an interesting discussion, although I suspect it has been happening to a smaller degree for many years.

On the marriage question, do Thai women really look to China as an alternative to life in Thailand ? When I visited in 2004, even province-to-province movement was strictly controlled in China - I have no idea how their Immigration folk view foreign brides. Do I personally feel threatened by the notion that Chinese men are going to scoop up every available women under 45 in Thailand ? No, but then I'm a very hansum man ;)

• Like 2

This is just BS, they don't want hookers for wives, they don't marry girls with tattoos.

No scam, because they don't buy Thai girls houses or cars.

Chinese are one of the biggest 'racial purity' groups in the world, they don't want to marry outside their racial group.

But I guess they might use a Thai girl as a one night sex toy ........ but I haven't seen that so far.

Your showing your pedigree Tommo, we all know that it was your hooker sister in law that recruited you out of a bar in Pattay and set you up with your wife, so your not exactly qualified to comment on the dating habits of Thai women.

Not all Thai women are tattooed hookers, and shame on you for going indicating that.

I think you'll find that the Chinese are already in country looking for suitable Brides and the visa offices are issuing visas in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

What's funny about many of the replies is that people seem to think they are rich Westerns propping up the Thai economy, but at the same time are saying that it is getting unaffordable here. If you think it's unaffordable, then you're a poor Westerner. Many seem to completely misunderstand the nature of tourism, and the changing world we live in. Many rich Chinese are starting to come here, and this will easily replace (and more) and Westerners that stop coming here.

Another mistake many make is assuming that Westerners are suddenly poor. UK, USA and Europe, are still only a few percentage points away from the richest they have been in their entire history. Most friend I have in the UK are doing the same jobs as before the recession and can still afford holidays. Nothing has changed for them. I have one friend that visits Thailand regularly from the UK and she is amazed at how cheap it is here. But many expats on here buy expensive Western food that many tourists don't buy. I've lived here for almost 3 years and can't understand expats who says it's expensive. Nearly everything I spend money on here is a small fraction of UK prices (food, accommodation, etc.).

The GPB is currently very weak, and there is nothing Thailand can do about that, even if they wanted to. Many fail to see that the world is changing fast. They think Thailand will be relying on tourists for ever. But countries change, and as the middle class grows, they can do with less tourist. In fact, I think they will get richer tourists from China, and tourism will move more upmarket. So it won't matter if poor expats have to leave. No-one cares.

There are ways around the problem for individuals though. The easiest way is to get an extra income by starting a business, even if it's something small and part-time. Sitting around and doing nothing isn't really an option. If times are tough for you now, then you'll be destitute within 5-10 years.

Either change with the times, or get left behind. Simple.

Of course, the Asian dream could come to an abrupt end, and Westerns could suddenly be rich again. It's not a forgone conclusion that the East will rise and the West will fall. It's looking increasingly likely, but these things never work out as planned. There is plenty that can go wrong. So make sure you have a plan B.

• Like 2

There have been large Chinese tour groups in Thailand for decades - what you are suggesting is something quite different, and the Thais aren't stupid when it comes to a business opportunity of that magnitude. I just doubt that we will see scores of Chinese men sitting on bar stools in Pattaya anytime soon. Just as the majority of Japanese like to keep their Sanuk activities in Thailand behind closed doors, the last place a single Chinese man would want to be spotted is in a bar on Walking St with hordes of family groups from China strolling past. I know a couple of Thai guys with a travel agency on Suk Soi 22 in BKK - this will make for an interesting discussion, although I suspect it has been happening to a smaller degree for many years.

On the marriage question, do Thai women really look to China as an alternative to life in Thailand ? When I visited in 2004, even province-to-province movement was strictly controlled in China - I have no idea how their Immigration folk view foreign brides. Do I personally feel threatened by the notion that Chinese men are going to scoop up every available women under 45 in Thailand ? No, but then I'm a very hansum man wink.png

I can see why your pally with Tommo.......

So, where to start? why did you bring up sitting on bar stools in Pattaya?? Do you think that the Chinese will follow the same business model as many farangs? Oh how well you know the Chinese.

They'll just contact the dating agencies and whip out the young and nubile, and leave the tattooed hookers to the hansum man brigade. coffee1.gif

ps. So tell me more about the " internal passport " system in China, your obviously an expert on the country.

Not all Thai women are tattooed hookers, and shame on you for going indicating that

In China only the criminal classes have tattoos. (Not sure if that includes hookers or not)

We were talking about Chinese, I was commenting on Chinese dating habits.

Your floundering......it was obvious what you meant.

`tb, I'm still not concerned - of all the women I've met in Thailand, the 'stunners' have been some of the most devious - your horny Chinese men are most welcome to them. If one of them stole my favourite BKK cook - a homely lady somewhere near 40 - then I might get angry. She speaks zero English, but we get on like a house on fire : if only the same could be said of every women I've met in Thailand.

This is Asia's century - we can either embrace it or be steamrolled by it - but I still find some of the sweeping statements in your post to be a tad overly enthusiastic.

`tb, I'm still not concerned - of all the women I've met in Thailand, the 'stunners' have been some of the most devious - your horny Chinese men are most welcome to them. If one of them stole my favourite BKK cook - a homely lady somewhere near 40 - then I might get angry. She speaks zero English, but we get on like a house on fire : if only the same could be said of every women I've met in Thailand.

This is Asia's century - we can either embrace it or be steamrolled by it - but I still find some of the sweeping statements in your post to be a tad overly enthusiastic.

Point out the sweeping statements............

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean to say it ain't true

• Like 1

No worries for most of the westerners here, most Chinese man still look at a Chinese bride as the best choice for themselves for loads of reasons , language, food and parents.

Most Chinese parents are not open minded to foreign brides irregardless of the nationality

There is no doubting they have huge discussions on the business and investment fronts and are already here buying everything they see a return on

However marrying a Thai Chinese is another scenario altogether. If they are fair skinned, speak reasonable mandarin the marriage between a Thai Chinese family and a Chinese family is very desirable and looked upon favorably.

Most of the Chinese business partners ask me where to find fair Thai ladies and for now the north is their first choice so all those stuck in Issan and Pattaya can break your next beer, they are not coming to compete with you

With the Chinese mentality, their way of taking care of the family is attractive to the Thai families. When a man married a woman they firmly believe the one with the most money should be responsible for everything from buffaloes to cars to houses to whatever the girl wants some may think its spoiling the girl but you only need to date a shanghai girl to know what being a man is all about.

However it comes at a price where they are chauvinist and do not take woman's opinion strongly on most matters except child rearing and domestics affairs.

So in the Chinese mans eye ...you behave like a woman and I will be all the man you want me to be

Hope I don't offend the ladies here in this forum but for most man that is the way they think which is very much like a Thai man.

• Like 1

Of course, the Asian dream could come to an abrupt end, and Westerns could suddenly be rich again. It's not a forgone conclusion that the East will rise and the West will fall. It's looking increasingly likely, but these things never work out as planned. There is plenty that can go wrong. So make sure you have a plan B.

I think it more likely the Thai dream will come to an abrupt end ........ and fairly soon ...... but what do I know.

Predicting the future is totally pointless, annoys me all the doom and gloom sayers.

As long as I have enough cash in the bank to last another year why worry.

Tomorrow I might die of cancer or be squished flat by a Chinese person driving a m/c without a license, etc.

Not all Thai women are tattooed hookers, and shame on you for going indicating that

In China only the criminal classes have tattoos. (Not sure if that includes hookers or not)

We were talking about Chinese, I was commenting on Chinese dating habits.

Your floundering......it was obvious what you meant.

You think too much!