The Thai-Baht And The Future Of Farangs In Thailand

MJCM....please change your Avartar...I was reading these posts and trying to remove the insect on the screen for at least 2 mins, before i realisedsmile.png

Me too. I slapped the computer screen twice before I realized what it was.bah.gif

• Like 1

+1 beautifulthailand99, I don't think people realize the juggernaut that's on it's way from China.

When I was in CM two weeks ago I saw staff members practising Chinese phrases and the boss told me he was getting a menu prepared in Mandarin. The Chinese were everywhere ( as they are entitled to be ) and there will be a vast increase in tourism from that country shortly, especially I predict in Chiang Mai.

I'm like a broken record on this subject, the Chinese are coming, they're looking for bargains, they're looking for investments, they're looking for relaxation, and most worryingly for a lot of Western guys, they're looking for Brides.

Many of them are awash with money and they'll go snapping up the best of the women in a heartbeat. The competition is getting a whole lot hotter, and there's a weird thing on play in Chinese society, Chinese men always marry down. .

Dont even know where to start with that - suffice it to say that I disagree with almost everyhing in that post. Congratulations ;)

yep same here the Chinese are here as tourists not sex tourist they are not looking to invest or buy land or marry some girl from a bar.

You're seriously floundering.........it didn't occur to you that I'm a regular visitor to China and I have loads of Chinese business colleagues and friends. I bet you don't have a clue about the A category women in China, the "on the shelf" women.

It didn't occur to me that you know much about anything actually.

(Apart from how to drink large amounts of alcohol)

• Like 1

Guess everyone should have bought a house or condo in thailand years ago

I know there is a lot of negativity about buying property on this forum, but having bought I don't have to worry about bringing in money to pay for rent. I even bought a second property to rent out, which gives me more Thai Baht. In retirement you want to minimise your exposure to risk and currency fluctuation is potentially a big risk. Before anyone points out the risk of not being able to rent out my second condo - that is a possibility, but it has not been a problem for the last four years.

This is an excellent point. It is something many can do something about, but most refuse because they are frightened. They would rather keep their money in a failing currency that bring it into Thailand. Many expats want to live here very long-term, but are frightened to actually set themselves up properly here. It's like they are frightened to make a proper move here. They always want to keep their asset in their home country, even though they haven't lived there for years.

What the hell is wrong with ThaiVisa members today? Certain people should not be allowed to drink and post.

I followed two new story links from Facebook and both threads just just degenerated into people arguing about subjects which have nothing to with with the original story. In fact I cannot find any relation to the original story beyond the first page of both threads.

I hope you are all proud of yourselves and the pathetic way you carry on.

• Like 2

cheesy.gif

That's hysterical.......who mentioned sex tourism?? who mentioned marrying bar girls??

The funniest comment though was that the Chinese are not looking to invest in Thailand. cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Right that's it......I'm off, argue among yourselves for a while. coffee1.gif

sorry mr know it all who likes to blow his own trumpet we are talking Chinese tourists whovarrive by the bus loads yes they are simply here for a holiday and that's it,not looking to invest or anything just a simple holiday

geez now u know why I usually stay out the general topics forum it's like being in a playground full of kids, run along now children playtimes over

geez now u know why I usually stay out the general topics forum it's like being in a playground full of kids, run along now children playtimes over

Yeah I just realised what the problem is: TV posted the link to this thread on Facebook and I assumed it was supposed to be a news article, the fact I couldn't find any reference to the OP story within the pages of the thread I was directed to didn't help.

I wonder how people would feel if their real world friends and families could see how they talk on an anonomous forum. I'm sure they'd be even more embarrased than the TV members themselves.

Some of you must be seriously unhappy in your real life to have to come on here and fight with strangers daily. Totally pathetic.

• Like 1

[

Good for you, but most European countries will freeze the pension if they know / find out that the pensioner is not living (for a certain amount of days in the year) in the Country where they receive the Pension

[/quote

They have been doing that for years if you are a New zealander] and I never counted on getting a government pension from them.

Also the nz$ is around 24.7 to the bhat and I have been here 10 years and it has been known to hit 22 so you usa and uk and Europeans at last you are joining the real world.

You guys have had it too good for too long now you are paying the price of government bad management and over spending

I can claim my pension outside UK and get increase if in certain Asian countries. the Thais have also been having it good with currency being weak they way it was with exports and tourism. If unemployment soars and debts are not repaid nobody will be having it to good here. USA UK and Europe are the real world, NZ, well good for Hobbit films but cannot be compared to USA UK and Europe when talking real world.

Please present some information to suggest that any of the negative things that fill your imagination, fantasy world will come true. The three credit rating agencies think Thailand is doing well and has a stable low unemployment future. I think they know a bit more than you. Why would you pull this kind of nonsense out of the hat. The UK is in a triple dip recession and about to have it's credit rating lowered by the same agencies that are saying nothing but good things about Thailand. You are way off base. If not present some information that supports your wild unreal ideas.

The UK's rating has been lowered today, but it is still much better than Thailand's rating. But credit ratings agencies have no idea what they are talking about. Just look at their AAA ratings of certain investments before 2008. Investments that should have been given junk status were given the top ratings. They have as much idea about what will happen as I do. If you believe them, then they say that UK is not on watch status, and their rating is unlikely to be downgraded any further, and that they still have one of the best ratings in the world. Only two countries (Germany and Canada) have a better rating then the UK. Countries like Thailand can only dream of having a rating anywhere near that of the UK or USA. UK is prime, Thailand is lower medium grade (i.e. not so good).

• Like 1

The aussies are laughing as the currency is on a 10 yr high and we earn 4.90% on online savings accounts. -- living off that over here makes life very cheap indeed.

OP does not have a crystal ball and probably knows very little about currency futures or IRD's (interest rate derivatives). Currencies fluctuate and are extremely volatile.

If OP is correct then move to Equador as its very cheap to live on under usd1000 per month. Currently can earn 7% on your money in citibank

Where can I get 7%????

No ones giving that these days.. taking maybe... but giving.. no way

-Ecuador government bond (US-Dollars) USP8055QDE90 maturity dec 2015 yields 8,493%

-Venezuela government bond (US-Dollars) USP97475AP55 maturity oct 2024 yields 8,999%

-Argentina government bond (US-Dollars) XS0501195480 maturity jun 2017 yields 16,581%

Yes, you get high yield, but you are likely to lose your capital amount. Getting 16% interest is very high risk. You may get 16% for a year or two, but may not getting anything back after that, You're a fool if you think these are anything other than high-risk investments.

Argentina is rated by S&P as junk with a a negative outlook. So the investment quality is junk and it's going to get worse. So why not put your money there and let us know how you get on. If someone has to offer 16% pa interest to attract investors, then you know it's all over.

Edited by davejones

In the case your describing, all the foreigners that are thinking of spending their Holiday in Thailand can't afford to come anymore. And I don't think that Thailand will let that happen as Thailand needs Tourists.

Correction, not all foreigners, but only some Western foreigners. Affluent Westeners and Asians will still come. Thailand had more Singaporean visitors last year than British and their population is 15 times smaller.

cheesy.gif

That's hysterical.......who mentioned sex tourism?? who mentioned marrying bar girls??

The funniest comment though was that the Chinese are not looking to invest in Thailand. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Right that's it......I'm off, argue among yourselves for a while. coffee1.gif

sorry mr know it all who likes to blow his own trumpet we are talking Chinese tourists whovarrive by the bus loads yes they are simply here for a holiday and that's it,not looking to invest or anything just a simple holiday

The Chinese are investing big time in Thailand, SE Asia, even Africa at the moment. The Chinese are buying up everything. If you can't see this, then you need to get out and about a bit more. Blether is right. Most on here have no idea what's coming from China, even when it's happening right in front of them.

• Like 1

Quite right theblether. The Chinese 'one child' policy has had a great influence on their population, not only on numbers but also on the gender balance. The preference for male offspring has resulted in a huge male 'surplus' and I expect many young Chinese males will look to Thailand as a prospective place to look for a wife, or maybe just to 'get water off chest'.

There's a gender imbalance of over 20 million already in approx the 20-30 age group.

This is just BS, they don't want hookers for wives, they don't marry girls with tattoos.

No scam, because they don't buy Thai girls houses or cars.

Chinese are one of the biggest 'racial purity' groups in the world, they don't want to marry outside their racial group.

But I guess they might use a Thai girl as a one night sex toy ........ but I haven't seen that so far.

LOL. Do you know how many Chinese there are in Thailand already married to Thais? If you don't know, the answer is millions. Thailand is awash with people from China. In Bangkok, it's hard to meet anyone that doesn't have some Chinese blood somewhere in the family.

• Like 2

In the case your describing, all the foreigners that are thinking of spending their Holiday in Thailand can't afford to come anymore. And I don't think that Thailand will let that happen as Thailand needs Tourists.

Correction, not all foreigners, but only some Western foreigners. Affluent Westeners and Asians will still come. Thailand had more Singaporean visitors last year than British and their population is 15 times smaller.

Thats because they catch a bus/plane on friday night to get to Hatyai for cheap shopping like clothes. They start going back to Singapore on the Saturday evening through to Sunday evening. Most are gone by Monday morning unless there is a holiday in Singapore. Thats where the statistics are taken from.

Tourists...Not really. People who cant afford to survive I surpose, in Singapore

Quite right theblether. The Chinese 'one child' policy has had a great influence on their population, not only on numbers but also on the gender balance. The preference for male offspring has resulted in a huge male 'surplus' and I expect many young Chinese males will look to Thailand as a prospective place to look for a wife, or maybe just to 'get water off chest'.

There's a gender imbalance of over 20 million already in approx the 20-30 age group.

This is just BS, they don't want hookers for wives, they don't marry girls with tattoos.

No scam, because they don't buy Thai girls houses or cars.

Chinese are one of the biggest 'racial purity' groups in the world, they don't want to marry outside their racial group.

But I guess they might use a Thai girl as a one night sex toy ........ but I haven't seen that so far.

LOL. Do you know how many Chinese there are in Thailand already married to Thais? If you don't know, the answer is millions. Thailand is awash with people from China. In Bangkok, it's hard to meet anyone that doesn't have some Chinese blood somewhere in the family.

They came quite a while ago, they don't often intermarry with the locals.

Their aim is to rule, not to cross-breed.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Anyway, back on topic.

I did come here to cross-breed with the locals, I have succeeded, whatever happens to me is irrelevant, my genetic material is here to stay.

Mr. White may not have a future here, but all my little half-whites will.

Same with me but all my little half-blacks will

Remember rich or poor it is good to have lots of money

jing ???

considering thailand HAS a growth economy in terms of manufacturing output, and exports, the envy of many western countries including britain , the great in britain has long gone,

if you think thailand is dependant on tourists , up to you, i think not ..

bttopic , since the haydays of 68 bht to the GBP , we are now down to 45 bht - gbp.

and the rate of devaluation is increasing .the maths buffs , can tell us what the percentage drop is.

probably by year ending , it will be drop to nearer 40 thb.

we can all cry into our blouses , about how we came to be in this mess,

the run down of the major british industries , the unwanted blair /bush war , immigrants etc, etc ,

and blame the politicians , humbug idle chat ..,,,changes nothing and nothing changes.

the writing has been on the wall for the last five years ,

i bit the bullet , and when the gbp recovered to 49 , thb ,

i decide this is the best rate , i can expect , and transfered enough sterling

to last me 5 years in LOS .

i do not wish to be a pessimist , but when the germans , vote out angela mercel ,

the euro will implode , causing more grief .

have a nice day ,

this is now the norm.

Edited by elliss

Blether's predication about the China invasion makes logical sense, but it just has not been what I have seen. When you see Chinese tourists in Thailand, they seem to almost always be in a large tour group and ushered around by a guide. Thais do not seem overly impressed with some of their habits, such as spitting. They also seem much more keen to argue in public.

But it is a double edged sword. As the standard of living increases in Thailand, women will be less enamored by the prospect of being auctioned off to the highest bidder.

What the hell is wrong with ThaiVisa members today? Certain people should not be allowed to drink and post.

I followed two new story links from Facebook and both threads just just degenerated into people arguing about subjects which have nothing to with with the original story. In fact I cannot find any relation to the original story beyond the first page of both threads.

I hope you are all proud of yourselves and the pathetic way you carry on.

OK - I'll take it on the chin - I have no idea who dragged China into this discussion, but it went downhill from there and I was part of that downhill slide. To get back to the original topic, I stand by what I said at the start of the thread - a baht that is 30-50% stronger than the USD (or GBP/Euro) is not in Thailand's best interests economically or politically.

That opinion, and every other opinion expressed here, is pure speculation - some of us may not even live to see any longterm trends make themselves felt. Let's just try to enjoy whatever time we have left.

I have been reading now for the last few days what you very knowledgable gentelmen have been discussing ,is it safe to assume from all the replys that

A/ the baht will rise or

B/the baht will fall?

i await the reply with trepidation .

surely the Baht will. and very soon it will.