Looking For Onion Powder And Corn Starch (Or Cornflour)

BoonToong

Hi folks,

Anyone know where I can find onion powder and also corn starch/cornflour please? I have looked in Villa, Tops, Big C and Tesco but no joy.

I'm trying to make my own fajita powder mix and need these 2.

Thanks in advance folks.

Thanks guys, but I think there is a language disconnect here (just done some more research on the internet). What I am looking for, in US terminology, is CORNSTARCH. That same starch in the UK, is called CORNFLOUR (see the confusion?).

Just read on the internet that in the US you can buy both CORNSTARCH and CORNFLOUR and they are different items.

So, it's Cornstarch I am looking for (and still onion powder of course).

I did find Tapioca starch in terminal 21 Supermarket but I read that it has slightly different properties to cornstarch.

Thanks guys, but I think there is a language disconnect here (just done some more research on the internet). What I am looking for, in US terminology, is CORNSTARCH. That same starch in the UK, is called CORNFLOUR (see the confusion?).

Just read on the internet that in the US you can buy both CORNSTARCH and CORNFLOUR and they are different items.

So, it's Cornstarch I am looking for (and still onion powder of course).

I did find Tapioca starch in terminal 21 Supermarket but I read that it has slightly different properties to cornstarch.

You will hardly notice the difference. You may need to use a little more of the tapioca flour.

Cornflour/starch is ubiquitous.

Should not be any problem finding it.

Try Lotus or any large supermarket.

I can find it at my local ma-and-pa mart.

Onion powder -- not so easily found, especially outside the larger cities. Try Villa, Tops, and the upscale supermarkets, etc.. or Rimping (CM) might carry it. I make my own from fresh onion, using my slicer, electric dehydrator and a mini blender. I keep it in a glass jar in the fridge to prevent caking.

Edited by NanaFoods

The larger Villa markets in central BKK, like Suk Soi 11 and 31, most definitely have both corn flour and onion powder. I've bought both there previously.

Most supermarkets around BKK in general have corn flour. Onion powder may be more limited, as probably onion salt is more common here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK