Officials' Attitudes To Female Inmates Remain Poor: Thailand

webfact

Officials' attitudes to female inmates remain poor
Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Despite the Kingdom's development of a new set of standards emphasising gender sensitivity to supplement the existing 1955 United Nations Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners, many challenges remain, particularly in changing the attitude of prison staff, an international meeting on the subject in Bangkok was told.

The so-called "Bangkok Rules", initiated by the Thai government under the direction of HRH Princess Bajrakitiyabha in 2010, comprise 70 regulations. A public organisation, the Thailand Institute of Justice (TIJ), was created by Royal decree in 2011 to promote and support the implementation of the Bangkok Rules nationally and internationally.

TIJ deputy director Nathee Chitsawang said the biggest challenge in implementing the Bangkok Rules in order to improve the rights and situation of women inmates in Thailand is to change the attitude of Corrections Department officials themselves.

"They have a rather negative impression of the Bangkok Rules," Nathee told the gathering of participants from a dozen Asia-Pacific countries who met in Bangkok for a three-day meeting that ended Thursday. Nathee cited other challenges including a shortage of prison staff, a heavy daily workload and the impression that adhering to the Bangkok Rules is tantamount to being assigned a "another job" on top of existing duties.

"Training should emphasise not knowledge of the Bangkok Rules, but attitude," Nathee said.

There are currently more than 2,000 female corrections officers in Thailand, but only 150 can be trained each year. Officers like Busaba Sakrangkun, director of the Phitsanulok Women's Correctional Facility, is worried. Busaba added, however, that those running prisons can at least bring up the issue of the Bangkok Rules to inform their staff, even if the officers have not been trained in them.

Bangkok Rule No 27, for example, states that in facilities where conjugal visits are allowed, women prisoners shall be able to exercise the right on an equal basis with men.

In Thailand, only two prisons allow for conjugal visits, however.

In the Philippines, conjugal visits are not allowed due to fears that an additional burden will be placed on the prison system if women prisoners end up becoming pregnant, said Rafael Marcos Z Ragos, deputy director of the National Bureau of Investigation.

Adherence to other rules, such No 19, which stipulates that women prisoners' dignity and respect are to be protected during personal searches, which shall only be carried out by women staff who have been properly trained, is hindered by a shortage of women staff in some countries.

The regional meeting concluded that there is a need to incorporate the Bangkok Rules into national legislation in order for it to be seriously implemented.

The meeting also agreed that budgetary constraints and developing an appropriate training curriculum pose challenges as well.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-23

I wonder how long it would take for the rooms set aside for conjugal visits are turned into a 'knocking' shop? I bet there is a substantial 'cost' at the two prisons which allow conjugal visits, that of course is if Col Somchai hasn't turned them into brothels!

In a country like Thailand having these 'privileges' just opens the door for exploitation.

Edited by lizardtongue
  • Like 1

"They have a rather negative impression of the Bangkok Rules," Nathee told the gathering of participants from a dozen Asia-Pacific countries who met in Bangkok for a three-day meeting that ended Thursday. Nathee cited other challenges including a shortage of prison staff, a heavy daily workload and the impression that adhering to the Bangkok Rules is tantamount to being assigned a "another job" on top of existing duties.

"Training should emphasise not knowledge of the Bangkok Rules, but attitude," Nathee said.

Useful article. Anyone surprised by the comment on attitude?

Now for some action by the authorities, and of course the usual diligent follow up by the Nation.

coffee1.gif

"Bangkok rules." Boy oh boy what a catch phrase that is!

Conjugal visits should be eliminated for all prisoners convicted in courts of law. The purpose of prison is not to make life "equal" or "comfortable" by providing conjugal visits so as not to exclude convicted prisoners with sex with a partner from the outside. prison is punishment with the intention of rehabilitation in the case of non lifers or death sentencers.

Thailand should concentrate on food quality, health, cell conditions, hygiene, exercise and education instead of conjugal visits. Does the "Bangkok rules" provide for such things?

If you think treating them like animals are not letting them have relief of sexual tensions will make better prisoners then you are totally lost. You don't have to destroy them to punish them as just being in prison away from life and love is enough for what most of these people did. If they are murders or rapist maybe they do not deserve any rights, but taking someone who has a chance of a productive life one day and strippng that person of all humanity before release then asking why they continue to break the law?

"I hate idealists. I really do. They are the virus carrying bacteria that grow on the backs of nations who were once great. These idealists plead the cause and rights of everything under the Sun and bring any great nation into corruption, compromise and eventual decay from within."

Is this a quote? From Mein Kampf maybe?

Edited by sbk
Please use the quote button when responding to a single poster
  • Like 1

"I hate idealists. I really do. They are the virus carrying bacteria that grow on the backs of nations who were once great. These idealists plead the cause and rights of everything under the Sun and bring any great nation into corruption, compromise and eventual decay from within."

It's from my own thinking on the subject. What's your point, or are you just trolling?

If wives, girlfriends and women in general are treated like s..t what chance do those behind bars have ?

Well, I don't know. Who raises the men who treat the wives, girlfriends and women in general like shit? I believe it is wives, girlfriends and women in general who do the raising in this country. That has to account for some percentage in this equation of abuse. What goes on in between is a topic that rarely gets broached due to the altruistic and archaic views we have for the sanctity of the modern woman and her "regrettable" issues. I guess they want to be equal, but not that equal, when it comes to "manning up" yeah? Hence, it will never end.

Men seem to be the basis for all bad things. How the women escape the microscope is a subject I believe I just touched upon. It's their problem and they choose to hide from it and we aren't allowed to discuss it other than in sordid jokes and frequent or infrequent outbursts of frustration and anger.

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

It's from my own thinking on the subject. What's your point, or are you just trolling?

Posted Yesterday, 15:56

If wives, girlfriends and women in general are treated like s..t what chance do those behind bars have ?

Well, I don't know. Who raises the men who treat the wives, girlfriends and women in general like shit? I believe it is wives, girlfriends and women in general who do the raising in this country. That has to account for some percentage in this equation of abuse. What goes on in between is a topic that rarely gets broached due to the altruistic and archaic views we have for the sanctity of the modern woman and her "regrettable" issues. I guess they want to be equal, but not that equal, when it comes to "manning up" yeah? Hence, it will never end.

Men seem to be the basis for all bad things. How the women escape the microscope is a subject I believe I just touched upon. It's their problem and they choose to hide from it and we aren't allowed to discuss it other than in sordid jokes and frequent or infrequent outbursts of frustration and anger.

Wow! This is one angry guy [not necessarily a guy of course]. Obviously had some sort 'experience' when younger. Maybe a wee visit to your local friendly psychiatrist might help. Or hey? What's TV for after all - if not to vent your anger somewhere? Keep taking the pills my friend

Posted Yesterday, 15:56

/>

lockquote>

Wow! This is one angry guy [not necessarily a guy of course]. Obviously had some sort 'experience' when younger. Maybe a wee visit to your local friendly psychiatrist might help. Or hey? What's TV for after all - if not to vent your anger somewhere? Keep taking the pills my friend

I thought so. Argumentum ad hominem = Troll

Next...

I thought so. Argumentum ad hominem = Troll

Next...

Not normally my style. But your views, on this subject, did seem a tad extreme - somewhere to the right of Stalin perhaps. But hey - why make such posts on TV if you don't want a reaction to them? I simply obliged and if you were to remove your Mr Grumpy hat for a moment or two - I'm sure you're actually quite pleased - you did get to use that clever wee bit of Latin afterall

I however prefer Scots to Latin - so:

Ca canny bawheid

To most clear, progressive thinkers, I am sure his point is abundantly clear.