Anti-thaksin Rally Sunday March 5 - The Final Show

george

Seven parties register 252 candidates

The Election Commission announced on Sunday that seven parties registered 252 candidates on the first registration day of candidates for constituency-based election.

The EC announced that at the end of the first constituency-based candidacy registration day on Saturday, seven parties filed applications as following:

1 Thai Rak Thai Party registered 243 candidates

2 Prachakorn Thai Party registered 3 candidates

3 Better Life Party registered 2 candidates

4 Thai Farmer Party registered 1 candidate

5 Krit Thai Mungkong Party registered 1 candidate

6 Thai Chuay Thai registered 1 candidate

7 Siam Party registered 1 candidate.

The EC said the seven parties fielded their candidates in 56 provinces and 20 other provinces still saw no candidates applying as of the end of Saturday.

They included Krabin, Kamphaeng Phet, Chai Nat, Chiang Rai, Lampang, and Satun.

The registration continues until Wednesday.

-TN

------------------------------------

If no parties' candidates are registered in the 20 provinces... and thus no MP's from there, Parliment can NOT be convened.

Deadline is Wednesday. :o

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree it will be for several weeks, probably until the end of April. The real hard job for the Thais is educating the rural Thais to what he is all about. With the media being squelched it becomes good old fashion grass roots work.

There are a few more chapters yet to unfold in this saga. The one that concerns me most is what will happen on April 2 or more so April 3 when the results are known of the vote. Somehow images of the Philippines and Marcos come to mind when people power took to the streets and sent him packing. On the other hand he could use the mandate of his win to use force to disband the crowd of protesters. The second one is more his style and least on the surface to the unknowing it would look like the right thing to do.

At any rate things in Thailand will be to say the least unstable for the next several weeks so it would be wise to have contingency plans in place. An extended weekend at the beach in early April sounds good to me.

Bryan, I take it that you are ironic (or sarcastic) when you say "interesting clear arguments" from sushiman? To me it means a long drawn out discourse, riddled with spelling and grammar errors, and some errors of jugement as well. I don't normally worry about the former if I get the meaning (and I am also guilty from time to time), but this was gross.

...but you just couldn't help it, huh?

HI WILLED NOT ALLOW WINING FROM MEMBERS ON SPELING AND GRAMMER HERRORS! GET IT?

Sarcastic maybe but I'll personally kick anyone who does this again. Not everyone here is a spelling or grammar expert. Sure, there is software to help but is everyone a computer genious as well?

Hmm let me see, opposition? Which opposition? Xenophobic academics who are opposed to foreigners having a stake in a business? Or the old general with blood on his hands? Or is it Sanan with just one seat with his failed Mahachon party, and who is afraid that he will even get rid of that one seat? Sanan is of course the same man who was guilty as charged on anti democratic behavior? And was banned for 5 years from politics? Or is it the opportunist mister Banharn, who had to run after he was found incompetent as a prime minister, and who is squandering government money in Banharnburi? That leaves us with our democratic party, also not really known for its cleanliness, but I know their co headman Suthep has interests in that other mobile phone company.... Or is the opposition Sondhi? Sondhi who s famous for not paying his taxes and his fleet of offshore companies? Just wondering what all those millions of people think who are painted as dumb on this site, and who do appreciate, an affordable health care system, and people having computers in school and running their own tap water and so on. Could it be that the wise people in Krengthep are out of touch instead Thaksin?

Well said, deminister. I'm not particularly a fan of Taksin, but after having been "involved" with Thailand for over 30 years, mainly through my Thai wife and her family for the same number of years, then all I can say is Thailand has definitely had a lot worse. The generals, responsible for at least 2 bloodbaths in the early and middle seventies, the drug runner banned from going to the USA because of his known connections, the economic comedian of the nineties, etc etc,....... the only other half decent premier since Prem was Chuan Leekpai, and he achieved b*ugger all. I do think Taksin has gone off the rails a bit but he has certainly tried to do something to help the poor, but unfortunately most of you expats on this site seem to think the cost of your visas and what time you can get a drink to is more important than that sort of thing. If any of you had bothered to get off your bar stools and have a look at what sort of conditions the average Thai had to live in over the past 30 years ( oh sorry, I don't think many of you actually know any average Thais do you?) then you might think a bit more about your usual rantings about Taksin.

You posted this from Australia. :D

You can see from there that we're all sitting on barstools? :o

There are a few more chapters yet to unfold in this saga. The one that concerns me most is what will happen on April 2 or more so April 3 when the results are known of the vote.

Me too.. Because this is starting to be polarized into a them and us sort of thing. Bangkok vs the central and northern provinces. The well off vs the poor. The educated vs the under educated. With every voting age male in the country having military training things could get out of hand very quickly.

If the BBK Coalition feels they have been cheated or they have no recourse, they could escalate their protests into a confrontation with the government (if one exists) or they could try and seize power. If that happened, the Central and Northern areas could feel that their vote for the government (if one exists) is being minimalised or canceled by a unrepresentative mob. Countries have had civil wars over much less than that.

My uneasy over how the present situation might develop is growing.

So far it does not seem that any side is going to back down, and i do fear that there might be violence in the future. I cannot detect any sign that Thaksin is even considering to step down, or fulfill any of the demands of the opposition, that was rather clear after friday.

Neither do i see any chance that Sondhi, Chamlong etc. are going to stop. Yesterday Sondhi has verbally expressed full confidence that the more pressure they apply Thaksin will finally step down.

And after yesterday i am sure that they will use any peaceful means possible to force the government to use violence, and at some point the government might be force to do so.

Personally, i can understand the arguments of both sides, but i feel they are both in the wrong as well. It is, IMO, just completely irresponsible by both, Thaksin and Sondhi/Chamlong, to risk serious violence by not moving an inch from their position.

Many people here are so fast in wishing the King to come out and somehow magically solve the situation. What do you expect? It is not the job of the King to take sides. What do you want him to do? Take side against Thaksin even though it is rather clear that the majority of the Thai population is backing Thaksin?

Remember the birthday speach - The King has already come out there with a statement that told both sides to back down a bit, telling, without naming anyone directly, Thaksin to drop the law suits against Sondhi, while ridiculing Sondhi that if not too much attention is given to him people will get bored with his CDs. How much clearer can he be?

Do people actually consider the implications of an aging constitutional monarch again getting involved openly into politics because political leaders are too boneheaded to sort out their disagreements? Without going any further into details, people advocating this solution should use their brains and think about what a precedent this is going to set especially for the long term future development of Thailand.

Is it only me, but i am absolutely sick and tired of both sides of the conflict using populism and the rousing of the rabble, shallow arguments and number games. And both sides expertly use any means available to manipulate the media in becoming partisan.

Because this is starting to be polarized into a them and us sort of thing. Bangkok vs the central and northern provinces. The well off vs the poor. The educated vs the under educated. With every voting age male in the country having military training things could get out of hand very quickly.

If this does end up in violence, it will be for oligarchy versus democracy.

My uneasy over how the present situation might develop is growing.

I have to agree with you 100% I can't argue any of it.

I think that a lot of people are being sucked into the fray that really should be standing back and looking at what is happening objectively. The print media for one, I look at the headlines and don't bother reading much of it as it's all propaganda of one sort or another.

What I find really disturbing is that one side is deliberately trying to coerce the monarchy onto their side of the platform, knowing that it has traditionally always tried to remain neutral. I find that despicable and an action that is trivializing the monarchy.

And no it's not only you.. I think there are a lot like us out there.....

If this does end up in violence, it will be for oligarchy versus democracy.

No.... If it ends up in violence it will be from stupidity and ego from both sides.

Protestors vow to stay on until the PM steps down.

Protestors dispersed after leading members of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) gave speeches at Government House this morning, but some demonstrators went back to stay at Sanam Luang grounds.

Media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล) gave a speech at Government House, after leading crowds of protestors who marched from Sanamluang to the premier’s office. He continued to criticize the government and Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawat, adding that if the premier insists that he will not resign, the protestors will move to Government House instead. After Mr. Sondhi’s speech, leaders of the PAD took turn speaking to the protestors, before they dispersed at around 01.30 AM. Some of the protestors returned to stay at Sanamluang.

Around 600 Metropolitan police have stationed at Government House since yesterday morning, and 250 more were called as reinforcements before the protestors marched to the Government House.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 March 2006

Surveys found most Bangkok residents are worried about the political situation

ABAC Poll found that residents of Bangkok and nearby provinces are worried that the current political situation will intensify and will lead to a coup d' etat.

ABAC Poll surveyed the people’s opinion about the current political situation in Thailand and found that about 42.7% of the respondents consider the current political situation as intense. Most people are worried that the current tension will affect the country’s economy and lead to a coup de tat. They said they do not want to see Thais to hurt each other, adding that they fear interference by terrorist groups.

38.1% of those surveyed said they believed that the premier is sincere in carrying out political reforms, after last Friday’s speeches by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawat. About 47.5% of the respondents believe that Mr. Thaksin should not end his political role and should continue as the Thai Rak Thai party leader. However, if he will quit politics, they said that he should go back to business and enjoy his time with family.

About 47.7% of the respondents said that a mediator should be appointed to settle differences between groups of people. They suggest that General Prem Tinsulanon (เปรม ติณสูลานนท์) or Mr. Anan Panyarachun (อานันท์ ปันยารชุน) can act as mediator. The respondents expressed hope that the political situation will ease, as all parties resolve problems peacefully.

Surveys found most Bangkok residents are worried about the political situation

ABAC Poll found that residents of Bangkok and nearby provinces are worried that the current political situation will intensify and will lead to a coup d' etat.

Howabout polling people outside of the Bangkok region for a change? Or better yet, have an election where everyone in the country can participate.

Edited by gurkle

I gree with Deminister, let's choose who's good enough to be the next priminister.

Have you every heard a story about a group of frogs that ask the God to give them a leader down from heaven? I cannot remember it all but once it got a log and said that log is not useful then a few others that they always said they don't like it (I cannot remember). But finally they got a heron that finally ate them all. I think this is what my country are facing with.

Bloodshed? What bloodshed? Who's actually gonna make it happend? Does it means something like "GO AWAY OR I'LL KILL MYSELF AND YOU MUST PAY RESPONSIBLE FOR MY SUISIDE!!!". hmmm, sound scary isn't it?

It was so funny the I've seen it from a TV one night from Prachakornthai's leader. (Sorry for bad translation please try to understand). He said something like "It's so rushing then we are hardly finding our members to be a candidate coz a lot of members didn't go to the election the last time". What's funny story. How come a political party has members that don't go for election like that? So smart, aren't they?

What I'd like to add to the constitution is to make sure that all the protesters for political things went to the last election otherwise they don't have right to protest.

Just a different point of view, don't take my post too serious. I'd rater spend my spare energy for something else than political. Beers for example.... ;-)

Howabout polling people outside of the Bangkok region for a change? Or better yet, have an election where everyone in the country can participate.

Sorry qurkle but you will have to form a protest group and have a march before the countryside can be included in a poll. :o

I gree with Deminister, let's choose who's good enough to be the next priminister.

Have you every heard a story about a group of frogs that ask the God to give them a leader down from heaven? I cannot remember it all but once it got a log and said that log is not useful then a few others that they always said they don't like it (I cannot remember). But finally they got a heron that finally ate them all. I think this is what my country are facing with.

Bloodshed? What bloodshed? Who's actually gonna make it happend? Does it means something like "GO AWAY OR I'LL KILL MYSELF AND YOU MUST PAY RESPONSIBLE FOR MY SUISIDE!!!". hmmm, sound scary isn't it?

It was so funny the I've seen it from a TV one night from Prachakornthai's leader. (Sorry for bad translation please try to understand). He said something like "It's so rushing then we are hardly finding our members to be a candidate coz a lot of members didn't go to the election the last time". What's funny story. How come a political party has members that don't go for election like that? So smart, aren't they?

What I'd like to add to the constitution is to make sure that all the protesters for political things went to the last election otherwise they don't have right to protest.

Just a different point of view, don't take my post too serious. I'd rater spend my spare energy for something else than political. Beers for example.... ;-)

Good point you raise Tonezzz, regarding those who should be allowed to protest. I agree if they didn't vote previously (last year) why should they have any voter rights now!!

Why should they feel so strongly now to a year ago, after all Toxin had already made things worse more than a year ago, so they could have made their point and demonstrated with their vote. :o

Chamlong sends second ‘love letter’

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s former mentor, Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang, has rejected an invitation by Thaksin to meet to resolve their differences.

The former Palang Dharma party leader was responding to the invitation Thaksin made while speaking at a Thai Rak Thai campaign rally in Bangkok last Friday.

Others among the anti-Thaksin lobby offered an olive branch were media firebrand Sondhi Limthongkul and TRT dissident leader Sanoh Thienthong. In the course of the rally, Thaksin pleaded with his staunchest critic to meet to resolve their differences and end the current political crisis gripping the country.

Chamlong responded to Thaksin’s offer with his second open “love letter” dated Saturday (the first one, calling for Thaksin’s resignation, was penned about a week earlier.) Chamlong said that everything he had to say to the premier had been said in his first “love letter” and that a meeting would therefore be redundant.

“If we spoke, we would end up arguing,” said Chamlong. “Each of us would insist on our point of view. I would suggest that he resign, while he would adamantly say no. It would, therefore, be a waste of time.”

Chamlong added that he was calling for Thaksin to step down not because of a simple misunderstanding but because he felt the caretaker prime minister had lost legitimacy. He cited comments made by civil groups, university professors and members of the Senior Doctors Network.

Chamlong referred to the PM’s claim that, because he had worked too hard, he had not found time for his friends “and that makes them feel neglected.” He said that Thaksin was not losing his former friends because he was unavailable but because he lacked the “legitimacy” to be prime minister.

However, Chamlong said he did not regret assisting Thaksin with his political career. “I don’t think I was stupid to have invited him into the political arena because he was a great prime minister for the first three years. He was, however, led astray in the fourth year, and made many mistakes during the fifth, especially when he sold the shares to Singapore.”

He added that the only way out of the current impasse was for “Pol Lt-Col Thaksin” to step down, and that by dissolving Parliament and trying to rally public support he had only worsened the situation.

Chamlong declared that he is Thaksin’s friend and brother and wishes the prime minister well. He signed off his “love letter” with the advice that a good politician needed to be loyal and honorable, while a good soldier and policeman needed to be courageous, disciplined and totally committed to his country. He closed by saying that the country wanted the prime minister to make the ultimate sacrifice and resign.

Source: ThaiDay - 6 March 2006

However, Chamlong said he did not regret assisting Thaksin with his political career. “I don’t think I was stupid to have invited him into the political arena because he was a great prime minister for the first three years. He was, however, led astray in the fourth year, and made many mistakes during the fifth, especially when he sold the shares to Singapore.”

Well, for me that says it all, more or less. No we have it in his own words where Chamlong stands:

Drug war killings - no problem.

Press censorship and intimidation of the press - no problem.

Easy loan schemes - no problem.

Large scale agricultural programs that mainly benefit Thai Chinese exporters - no problem.

But "selling the country to foreigners" seems to be Chamlong's major issue. Nice, very nice...

Santi Asoke to camp out until premier quits

In the aftermath of last night’s march to Democracy Monument and Government House, ardent members of the Santi Asoke Buddhist sect were all that remained at Sanam Luang this morning, where they have vowed to stay until the caretaker prime minister steps down.

About 1,500 monks, nuns and blue-shirted members of the sect’s Dharma Army attended a lengthy sermon this morning by the sect’s senior monk. Others read newspapers, ate breakfast and washed their clothes while last night’s heavy police presence had dwindled to a few hundred officers.

Many of the sects members were recovering from last night’s march, sleeping wherever there was shade, in tents or even underneath the trucks and buses parked on the edge of Sanam Luang.

A sleepy-looking Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang, the sect’s most high-profile member, sat in the back of a minivan eating breakfast. He refuses to negotiate a truce with Thaksin and says he will not give up his campaign to oust him.

Last night’s protests drew more than 100,000 people from all walks of life, many in defiance of Thaksin’s rousing Friday night rally, which drew some 150,000 people.

Senators, academics and media freedom campaigners turned up the heat on their criticism of Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra last night, saying he was refusing to quit because he feared his assets would be seized.

The crowd marched en masse to Democracy Monument, where they were met by a heavy police presence. Police slowed the pace of the march, which went on to Government House, where the rally continued into the night.

Source: ThaiDay - 6 March 2006

Well, for me that says it all, more or less. No we have it in his own words where Chamlong stands:

Drug war killings - no problem.

Press censorship and intimidation of the press - no problem.

Easy loan schemes - no problem.

Large scale agricultural programs that mainly benefit Thai Chinese exporters - no problem.

But "selling the country to foreigners" seems to be Chamlong's major issue. Nice, very nice...

I respect all opinions as this is 'freedom of speech' working at it's best, so i will add my opinion: that the above statement is rather bitchy, and contributes little value. ( I know you could say the same of my statement!) :o

I respect all opinions as this is 'freedom of speech' working at it's best, so i will add my opinion: that the above statement is rather bitchy, and contributes little value. ( I know you could say the same of my statement!) :o

Excuse me, but I do think it is rather important to look behind the intensions of the people playing their games. Just joining the bandwagon of "Thaksin awk pbai" without knowing who one might get to bed with is slighly unintelligent.

Dunno if you have ever met Chamlong personally, i did, and my impression is that he is the biggest fake i have come across so far in this game.

Edited by ColPyat

Police Continue to Monitor Rallies at Sanam Luang

Metropolitan police continue to closely monitor the public safety of protesters of the People's Democratic Front and other groups.

Officers of the metropolitan police and municipal police of Bangkok are keeping vigil at the gathering of protesters at Sanam Luang, maintaining a mobile medical unit of the Thai Red Cross, and continuously maintaining public safety. The atmosphere at Sanam Luang can best be described as calm, as many protesters have returned to work, but the majority are expected to return later this evening.

The Moral Charity Army is currently the only group still present in force at Sanam Ruang.

Excuse me, but I do think it is rather important to look behind the intensions of the people playing their games. Just joining the bandwagon of "Thaksin awk pbai" without knowing who one might get to bed with is slighly unintelligent.

Dunno if you have ever met Chamlong personally, i did, and my impression is that he is the biggest fake i have come across so far in this game.

I appreciate your opinion, as stated previously, would you confess to knowing the 'whole picture' just to say you met the gentleman in question is not saying you know the whole picture, or the games that they are playing.

Now if you were in one of the political parties i would have more respect for what you are saying, i certainly don't want to get into a catfight as this is completely futile.

My kind regards. :D

Gen. Chitchai says people will be the one to decide whether protests should continue

Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister Chitchai Wannasathit(ชิดชัย วรรณสถิตย์) mentioned that people will decide whether the rallies at Sanam Luang should continue or not. However, Gen Chitchai said that whether the rally is for or against the government, the government agencies are still responsible to ensure the safety of protestors.

Gen.Chithcai said the government will facilitate and provide security for the people in the rallies. He believes the protestors will not stir up any violence.

DPM Chitchai said the authorities have not decided whether Emergency Decree will be imposed. He said the incident needs to be evaluated first.

He referred to the movement of the protest to the Government House, saying that he is closely monitoring the situation and that the protest is proceeding in a peaceful manner.

On a slightly different note of what is going on behind the scenes. The cab drivers that were paid to attend Fridays rally by Mr. T. were paid on the condition they would not offer rides to people who attended Sundays rally. It is obvious Mr. T. is doing his best to keep the numbers low in the opposition. Even the suggestion that there may be violence is meant to keep the numbers low.

I think all there are several excellent comments in this thread, however as most of us are non Thai, we need to be a spectator to this moment in history. I like many of you am hopeful the Thais will read what we post and allow them to see how others view the situation. At the moment I can see that there is a greater chance of violence and the comments by the police suggest that Mr. T. is looking for a excuse to use it. Leaving the gate open at the Government house as a trap was very obvious when just last week there was a wall of police 3 deep blocking the entrance.

My predictions are: (based on today’s situation as a snapshot in time)

*Protests will continue until the vote in April and Mr. T. will look for ways to use violence.

*Efforts to educate rural Thailand will shift into high gear.

*Mr. T. will do all he can to keep the information from his voters in rural Thailand.

*Mr. T. will claim victory no mater what happens and use it as a mandated to crush the opposition.

*Many will see the elections as a farce and will only heighten the anger. The trigger will more than likely be Mr. T. arrogant nature.

*Unfortunately there will be blood on the streets, but not before the elections.

Because there is no clear replacement for Mr. T., in the end there will be no real winners and it will take several months for whatever government is seated to regain enough composure for it to function effectively.

In the end we can only hope the Thais will look at the wisdom of others who are not involved. I for one think wiping the slate clean of everyone will be the best way. In the short run it will stifle corruption and allow more or less interests of the people to prevail. The special laws that Mr. T. put in place should be removed as they only serve him or whoever is PM. The temptation of all that power is too great even for the most honest of people. It is not the best answer but it seems to make the most sense to me. However I expect the chance of this happening is about the same as Snow in April in Bangkok.

Now if you were in one of the political parties i would have more respect for what you are saying, i certainly don't want to get into a catfight as this is completely futile.

My kind regards. :o

Well, then, care to enlighten me about your position other than you not "respecting" what i am saying? At least sustantiate a bit more than with a snide.

At the moment I can see that there is a greater chance of violence and the comments by the police suggest that Mr. T. is looking for a excuse to use it.

I think it is more like the other way around: Thaksin is doing everything not to use violence, knowing that he has the upper hand and violence will only discredit him. At the same time the only realistic chance of the alliance to topple Thaksin presently is to provoce violence.

Practically speaking - none of the visible police officers at the demonstrations carry guns, they also have so far given in all demands. Yesterday night at the first police block there were an initial tense moments until the order came from above to let the demonstrators pass, to the obvious relief of the police officers on the scene.

No, it does not appear to me that the government, or the police looks forward to using violence at all, especially at the present moment before the elections.

My kind regards. :o

Well, then, care to enlighten me about your position other than you not "respecting" what i am saying? At least sustantiate a bit more than with a snide.

At the moment I can see that there is a greater chance of violence and the comments by the police suggest that Mr. T. is looking for a excuse to use it.

I think it is more like the other way around: Thaksin is doing everything not to use violence, knowing that he has the upper hand and violence will only discredit him. At the same time the only realistic chance of the alliance to topple Thaksin presently is to provoce violence.

Practically speaking - none of the visible police officers at the demonstrations carry guns, they also have so far given in all demands. Yesterday night at the first police block there were an initial tense moments until the order came from above to let the demonstrators pass, to the obvious relief of the police officers on the scene.

No, it does not appear to me that the government, or the police looks forward to using violence at all, especially at the present moment before the elections.

I repeat no catfight!! relax :D

I'm getting tired of the easy shots by some of you posters that tend to think that one have to be pro-'generals with a bloody past' if one is against Thaksin.

And the VISA-costs or whatever isn't the case. If you think it is, you are either clueless or...well, clueless.

Here is a news-flash: Who-ever is in charge and are corrupt or misuse his power, will be whined on by me.

(And as farang one cannot stand for election for PM. :D )

did you live in Thailand in 92, 93? :o

calm down, be cool, it's Thai's history, not yours :D

francois

let HM the King rule this out, it's from far the best solution for the country.

mr pm get out, new interim gov, set a new election, a tough control of campaign and election and let it be ...

francois

Yes Francois but many of us feel passionately about this country and I feel that as long term residents we do have the right to discuss politics.

Seonai

100% in agreement with you Seonai :o Freedom of speech for everyone, nobody owns one peice of this earth (even if some claim to) so we all have an equal right to give our opinions irrelevant of nationality...... WE ARE ALL THE SAME SPECIES, don't forget......PLEASE :D