Anti-thaksin Rally Sunday March 5 - The Final Show

george

Bryan, I take it that you are ironic (or sarcastic) when you say "interesting clear arguments" from sushiman? To me it means a long drawn out discourse, riddled with spelling and grammar errors, and some errors of jugement as well. I don't normally worry about the former if I get the meaning (and I am also guilty from time to time), but this was gross.

I agree that in a modern, first world country, the VOTE (why capitals btw, is it holy or what?) is the only way to go. But here, where votes are for sale for a pittance (using taxpayers money to boot), and the majority of voters are illiterate and have no idea about what is going on, perhaps in this case there might be a third way, by royal intervention, but as an interim measure, and only to get a proper election organised. But I can see that I am arguing against myself here, so I will stop here. I just feel so sorry for this country, but it is for the Thais to clean up the mess they have put themselves in...

I agree that Sushiman's post is a little long. I just noticed that he uses a list of items with some actual substance, whether or not I agree, but better than some other posts around the forum.

I do agree that some voters are uninformed and there is corruption, probably more so here in the villages. My wife had to practically fight off some group of local politicians who were trying to give her a 500B bill for her vote. She didn't take the money and voted for the other guy. Another poster talked about the 30B health care system. Also in terrible shape. I wouldn't go to my local hospital unless I was bleeding to death. If my wife or I need real care we would go to a private hospital in a city like Khon Kaen. However, the villagers dont' have that option. They go to the local hospital on the tuk-tuk with their 30B. If they slip the staff a few hundred more the level of care improves. It is still better than nothing. School system also pathetic here, but now with compulsary education extended a few years, and now a few native English speakers teaching English, the students have some opportunity they didn't have a couple of years ago. They say, "We have the budget now." They almost talked me into teaching at the High School, but I didn't have the nerve. Still a mess, but getting better slowly. I wouldn't be against royal intervention. HM the King will get involved as he sees the need. So far he is allowing the system to work, for the most part.

Edited by Bryan in Isaan

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9:38 pm: ASTV news announcers say the head of the procession will halt at the Democracy Monument waiting for the entire procession to reach the monument before moving on to Government House.

9:35 pm: Sawit tells the crowds that some 3,000 farmers from provinces will form the tail of the procession.

9:33 pm: Announcer Sawit asks the demonstrators to remain calm during the march and to take care of one another. He leads the demonstrators to shout "Thaksin get out" in rhythm. He asks the people to walk hands in hands.

9:30 pm: Announcer Sawit leads the crowds to sing a marching song while people are still making the formation of the procession.

9:28 pm: Demonstrators of the first zone are joining the procession.

9:25 pm: People start making a procession led by the Dharma Army. Announcer Sawit divides people into zones for them to gradually join the procession.

9:23 pm: Announcer Sawit explains to the crowds how the march will be organised.

9:22 pm: Sondhi tells the crowd not to touch Government House's gates and not to enter the compound if the gate is open.

9:20 pm: Chamlong tells the crowds that the demonstration will not end until Thaksin resigns. Chamlong says he will lead the march.

Firstly i would like to add that this is a very informative site, secondly Thaksin should be well and truly out of politics as he has shown no real respect for the Thai people.

Thaksin is out for himself alone.

:o

in the TV only ASTV have a liveset. again...

for TV you must make a big show or

(sorry) something broken or fire or ... ?...

when nothing happen >> nobody want to look

SO IS THIS :D

VIVA LA REVOLUTION :D

:D

10:47 pm: ASTV reports that turmoil seems to break out at the Panfah Bridge and protesters are moving to the other side of the road where police are not blocking yet.

10:45 pm: ASTV reports that the head of the procession is reaching the point where police are blocking the road to prevent them from passing to Government House.

10:23 pm: People start moving on to Government House. Police stop demonstrants.

11:12 pm: Sondhi goes up on the stage at the Democracy Monument and tells the crowds that the gate of Government House is opened to lure protesters to get inside. He says the people will not fall to the trap.

10:10 pm: ASTV reports that the march will stop at the Democracy Monument for about an hour before the protesters will move on to Government House

10:17 pm: Sondhi says Thaksin refuses to resign because he fears that the next government will seize his assets.

10:12 pm: Sondhi goes up on the stage at the Democracy Monument and tells the crowds that the gate of Government House is opened to lure protesters to get inside. He says the people will not fall to the trap.

10:10 pm: ASTV reports that the march will stop at the Democracy Monument for about an hour before the protesters will move on to Government House.

9:58 pm: A reporter at the scene says a lot of people are still waiting in line at Sanam Luang while the head of the procession has reached the Democracy Monument for some time.

9:56 pm: Senator Karun Sai-gnarm asks the demonstrators who reach the Democracy Monument to sit down waiting for the rest to join. He asks them to make space for sitting.

9:51 pm: An announcer at the Democracy Monument says the first part of the procession reaches the Democracy Monument.

9:46 pm: An announcer at the Democracy Monument says the tail of the procession is still at Sanam Luang.

9:43 pm: ASTV reports that police close some lanes on Rajdamnoen Road to traffic for the people to march. People shout "Thaksin get out" while walking.

9:40 pm: ASTV reports that the head of the procession led by Chamlong and Sondhi already reaches the Democracy Monument

Edited by george

It can't be good for either democracy in Thailand or the stability of the country (both economically and politically) if he stands down like this after he has called for snap elections.

He's laid it out for everyone by saying if you want me out, take it to the ballet.

10:21 pm: Sondhi says Thaksin could not be allowed to remain in office because in the future he may spends a lot of money to hire people to rally in his support so that he could become the first president.

10:17 pm: Sondhi says Thaksin refuses to resign because he fears that the next government will seize his assets.

10:12 pm: Sondhi goes up on the stage at the Democracy Monument and tells the crowds that the gate of Government House is opened to lure protesters to get inside. He says the people will not fall to the trap.

10:10 pm: ASTV reports that the march will stop at the Democracy Monument for about an hour before the protesters will move on to Government House.

9:58 pm: A reporter at the scene says a lot of people are still waiting in line at Sanam Luang while the head of the procession has reached the Democracy Monument for some time.

Hmm let me see, opposition? Which opposition? Xenophobic academics who are opposed to foreigners having a stake in a business? Or the old general with blood on his hands? Or is it Sanan with just one seat with his failed Mahachon party, and who is afraid that he will even get rid of that one seat? Sanan is of course the same man who was guilty as charged on anti democratic behavior? And was banned for 5 years from politics? Or is it the opportunist mister Banharn, who had to run after he was found incompetent as a prime minister, and who is squandering government money in Banharnburi? That leaves us with our democratic party, also not really known for its cleanliness, but I know their co headman Suthep has interests in that other mobile phone company.... Or is the opposition Sondhi? Sondhi who s famous for not paying his taxes and his fleet of offshore companies? Just wondering what all those millions of people think who are painted as dumb on this site, and who do appreciate, an affordable health care system, and people having computers in school and running their own tap water and so on. Could it be that the wise people in Krengthep are out of touch instead Thaksin?

Affordable health care??? the 30 baht scheme is equal to no health care. It is my understanding that this wonderful system has caused hospitals to close, and qualified Doctors to leave Gov hospitals. I have had the opportunity to experience this program through my staff. It is appalling. My gardener was inthe hallway after his motorcycle accident, 2 days after the fact they had no clue why blood was coming from his ear, had not xrayed him to find out if his shoulder was broken or not. My maid was put on tylenol for edimetriosis and told if she didn't feel better to come backin 2 weeks. It gives the poor false hope and incompetent care. Computers in schools, the country needs education reform, the teachers need training. All these things are window dressings! He opened credit for people who have no concept of how to deal with credit and no means to deal with it. I have heard the uneducated talk of how they listened in the begining, it sounded good but now they realize he is not doing good things for the poor people. He has too many knee-jerk reactions, boom new policy!

I lso don't know who the right option is but I do think it is great to see The Thais speaking out against him an dhis short sighted policies and self serving ways.

Your right about the 30 Baht system, I took my father inlaw to the Hospital near Kalasin, we were there at 8am and were #52 in line. In 5 hours this one doctor saw 52 people. Week before blood results were back and based on high PSA level told Pa he had cancer and if Doc operated he would die and if he did not operate he would die?? We took him to Khon Kaen and after 2 weeks in hospital he is doing great and no cancer found?? Weak kidneys.

What system are the other guys offering as an alternative to the failed 30 Baht medical plan? Or better yet, what was the plan available to poor folks before? All they had was the you're SOL Buddy plan if you can't afford this. No membership card required.

:o

Edited by Heng

10:47 pm: ASTV reports that turmoil seems to break out at the Panfah Bridge and protesters are moving to the other side of the road where police are not blocking yet.

People are hungry - so it's food stop now. :o

som_tam.JPG

Somtum

10:52 pm: An ASTV reporter says police have stepped up security at Government House and some protesters have arrived.

10:50 pm: Police allow Sondhi to walk through Pan Fa Bridge.

10:49 pm: ASTV reports that police fail to block the protesters who move on to Government House.

10:45 pm: ASTV reports that the head of the procession is reaching the point where police are blocking the road to prevent them from passing to Government House.

11:07 pm: A nation tv reporter quotes a source close to interior minister as saying that order has been made to allow protesters to go through.

11:05 pm: Some 400 policemen form barricades at the Agriculture Ministry. Sondhi and Chamlong are negotiating with police to allow the protesters to pass through.549000003571708.JPEG

11:11 pm: Commando police form two barricades near Government House. Some 600 policemen are keeping law and order there.

10:47 pm:

People are hungry - so it's food stop now. :D

You'll never see the Thai people protest with a hunger strike. :D

Great coverage George, top job. :o

I agree excellent coverage, ###### fine. :D

He went and nicked my bloody joke! :D

Dont worry Greg D, those quotes can be a pain the arris sometimes. :D

11:20 pm: Protesters are now in front of the Education Ministry. Suwit keeps on telling the protesters to walk slowly. He says the procession is only a few hundreds of metres away from Government House.

11:15 pm: Announcer Suwit Watnoo tells protesters at the front of the procession to stop and wait for the rest of protesters to catch up with them first before moving on.

11:11 pm: Commando police form two barricades near Government House. Some 600 policemen are keeping law and order there.

11:07 pm: A nation tv reporter quotes a source close to interior minister as saying that order has been made to allow protesters to go through.

11:05 pm: Some 400 policemen form barricades at the Agriculture Ministry. Sondhi and Chamlong are negotiating with police to allow the protesters to pass through.

Update (The Nation):

11:25 pm: Some organizers are preparing meals for distributing to protesters on Phitsanulok Road.

11:22 pm: Suwit tells protesters not to cross Makkhawan Bridge to Government House yet and asks them to wait for members of the Dharma Army first.

11:20 pm: Protesters are now in front of the Education Ministry. Suwit keeps on telling the protesters to walk slowly. He says the procession is only a few hundreds of metres away from Government House.

11:37 pm: Pipop Thongchai, a PAD leader, tells people to step away from the gate and fence of Government House where police are standing guard.

11:35 pm: PAD leaders on an amplifier vehicle asks people to applaud protesters who start arriving at Government House.