"chip" To Enhance Performance Of Fortuner

corkman

Dear All,

I have read on TV in the past that one can buy a "chip" for a Fortuner which enhances performance - both power output and fuel economy.

Can anyone verify this please, and perhaps give some some details such as pro's and con's, cost, where it can be done, etc.

Thanks.

Yes what you're asking about is possible. You can look at DPChip.com - they make and will sell a chip for your Fortuner and the Q&A section answers your questions about the pros and cons. They claim anyone with average DIY skills could install a chip and they offer a 6 year product warranty and new vehicle engine and driveline warranty coverage - you should email them for details. I don't own a Fortuner and for what it's worth if I did, I wouldn't chip the engine; all parts have been engineered to work together, but to each their own - it's your car.

Yes what you're asking about is possible. You can look at DPChip.com - they make and will sell a chip for your Fortuner and the Q&A section answers your questions about the pros and cons. They claim anyone with average DIY skills could install a chip and they offer a 6 year product warranty and new vehicle engine and driveline warranty coverage - you should email them for details. I don't own a Fortuner and for what it's worth if I did, I wouldn't chip the engine; all parts have been engineered to work together, but to each their own - it's your car.

I seriously doubt they would extend their warranty outside of their home country (Australia) -the expense would simply be too much...

However, they are able to make these claims purely because a commonrail pressure increase chip (which is what these are) that doesn't push pressures over the commonrail manufacturers spec is inherently safe..

Pretty easy to acheive considering there are only 3 manufacturers of commonrail systems (Bosch, Delphi and Siemens) and only 3 generations of the system to deal with ;)

• Like 1

Hope you consider improving the brakes too?

I believe this is one of the most under-rated areas of vehicle ride quality improvement: As, MRO, one of this forum's former top knowledgeable automotive posters and '2Unique' once suggested, upgrading to top quality tires - Yokohama Prada Spec-X - (improving the brakes and shocks) will do wonders for a vehicle.

I followed their advice and can state that in the addition to adding the diesel chip and doing all of the above, my (MU-7) SUV handles and cruises the roads of LOS like a champ.

However, they are able to make these claims purely because a commonrail pressure increase chip (which is what these are) that doesn't push pressures over the commonrail manufacturers spec is inherently safe..

Pretty easy to acheive considering there are only 3 manufacturers of commonrail systems (Bosch, Delphi and Siemens) and only 3 generations of the system to deal with wink.png

Excellent point!! (and good for the peace-of-mind of knowing that its not promoting long term internal engine damage). thumbsup.gif

I believe this is one of the most under-rated areas of vehicle ride quality improvement: As, MRO, one of this forum's former top knowledgeable automotive posters and '2Unique' once suggested, upgrading to top quality tires - Yokohama Prada Spec-X - (improving the brakes and shocks) will do wonders for a vehicle.

I followed their advice and can state that in the addition to adding the diesel chip and doing all of the above, my (MU-7) SUV handles and cruises the roads of LOS like a champ.

Lots of knowledge indeed. I'm not sure of what became of him! Perhaps he'll return sometime soon.

Lots of knowledge indeed. I'm not sure of what became of him! Perhaps he'll return sometime soon.

...In My Humble Opinion,MRO is not coming back...just deal with this...tongue.png