Shenanigans Closed

seadoo

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to go to Shennanigans across the road. Watched all World Cup 2002 games there with my wife and I mean all! Great atmosphere, especially when England beat the Argies, great days.

Didn't really like the upstairs place when it moved.

I'm fairly surprised they survived until now. They were paying a huge rent, big utility bills, lots of staff etc. etc... I was told the numbers once and I seem to recall it worked out that they would need to take close to a million Baht per month just to cover costs. Not easy, especially for an upstairs business in an incompetently operated mall...

Ironically, I think The Avenue may actually be getting on the right track now with some of the new establishments that have opened, and with all the new residential developments behind it. I've always thought that it should be 90% filled with restaurants and bars. Because it's an outdoor mall it's not suited to window shopping or shop-hopping - in summer it's too hot and in the rainy season it's too wet.

If they fill it with F&B outlets and the management/owners of the mall implement a marketing campaign for the mall itself (as opposed to leaving it to the individual businesses to do any advertising/marketing) and tag it as something like "20 restaurants under one roof...plus a cinema... plus a bowling alley... with ample parking..." etc. etc. I reckon it could thrive. But, I think they should be selective about the restaurants they allow to open there. They have something unique in that it is an outdoor mall and they should work that angle and not take the easy route of renting to Fuji, MK, Sizzler etc. Get a Tapas Bar next to a Tex-Mex place next to a Steakhouse next to a good Italian restaurant, and that's the kind of dining mall I would like to visit. And i think Shenanigans would have fit in nicely on that list...

I used to go to Shennanigans across the road. Watched all World Cup 2002 games there with my wife and I mean all! Great atmosphere, especially when England beat the Argies, great days.

Agree...the Avenue location never had the homey atmosphere of the original Royal Garden location, which always seemed to do a good business. The new location was too posh and I don't think the food was a good either. Funny that the old location was replaced y a hotel F&B outlet Irish pub, Dicey Reilly, which never seems to be doing much trade.

really a sign of the times, to many russian tourists who don't drink in bars like this and the demise of europeans.

I occasionally go to Dicey Reilly's for their Sunday lunch buffet or Wednesday Indian buffet, and I have quite often seen Russians eating/drinking in there. The other day I even saw a male front of house staff member who seems to be Russian or similar.

I never went to Shenanigans for food as it was hopelessly overpriced. Not surprised it closed.

Agree...the Avenue location never had the homey atmosphere of the original Royal Garden location, which always seemed to do a good business. The new location was too posh and I don't think the food was a good either. Funny that the old location was replaced y a hotel F&B outlet Irish pub, Dicey Reilly, which never seems to be doing much trade.

Maybe it was to do with different management also?

When Shannanigan's moved the old manager went to another Irish Pub and a new management was put in place at the Avenue and a lot of the regulars moved with the old manager.

jimmybkk, I guess you've not been there many times in a car if you think there's ample parking?

Edited by LongTimeLurker

We went there when it first opened for the sunday lunch and must admit was very disapointed,overpriced and not very good quality,we only ever went back once ,to meet friends ,but i remember posting a long time ago how i thought that the ave would be a disaster ,who wants to walk around in the heat when you can walk around in comfort in an indoor mall?

I'm fairly surprised they survived until now.

Me, too. I went up there once not long after it opened and predicted it couldn't last--for all the reasons others have noted here.

Somebody lost their shirts on that "investment."

I knew an ex General Manager who ran the place, name Pat.

Place was full, they then let him go once he built it up and put a Thai manager to replace him.

Pat naturally was pissed off, but was happy to get away and moved away.

Just before he moved(about 1 year ago) he was saying, that the new Thai Manager is an idiot and most likely will run it down within a year.

I guess Pats predictions were right

I used to go to Shennanigans across the road. Watched all World Cup 2002 games there with my wife and I mean all! Great atmosphere, especially when England beat the Argies, great days.Didn't really like the upstairs place when it moved.Agree...the Avenue location never had the homey atmosphere of the original Royal Garden location, which always seemed to do a good business. The new location was too posh and I don't think the food was a good either. Funny that the old location was replaced y a hotel F&B outlet Irish pub, Dicey Reilly, which never seems to be doing much trade. Maybe it was to do with different management also?When Shannanigan's moved the old manager went to another Irish Pub and a new management was put in place at the Avenue and a lot of the regulars moved with the old manager.jimmybkk, I guess you've not been there many times in a car if you think there's ample parking?

Yes correct but one slight flaw, it certainly wasn't that long serving manager, it was in fact when Simon took over from the previous manager when they moved to the new location the place boomed and when Simon left that changed everything. Simon now owns and runs another popular pub in town.

Just talked to an old friend that is one of the partners.

The Shenanigans in the Avenue has been closed but the one in Jomtien is up and flourishing.

The only two expat managers they have had in the Avenue location were named Simon and Tony. Kim was the manager at the old location. Nobody named Pat was ever associated with it that he knew of.

Just talked to an old friend that is one of the partners.

The Shenanigans in the Avenue has been closed but the one in Jomtien is up and flourishing.

The only two expat managers they have had in the Avenue location were named Simon and Tony. Kim was the manager at the old location. Nobody named Pat was ever associated with it that he knew of.

Interesting to know, either i got the name wrong as he spoke "Irish" smile.png, or he was lying

The fact that it has closed is, I think, good evidence that no one cared that it was open, and that no one will care that it has now closed. "Money talks; nobody walks...." Nuff said......

Things aren't quite that simple. A restaurant can be enjoyed by many people, even look busy sometimes, and still just not be profitable for a myriad of diverse reasons. Edited by Jingthing