Shenanigans Closed

seadoo

Just talked to an old friend that is one of the partners.

The Shenanigans in the Avenue has been closed but the one in Jomtien is up and flourishing.

The only two expat managers they have had in the Avenue location were named Simon and Tony. Kim was the manager at the old location. Nobody named Pat was ever associated with it that he knew of.

Interesting to know, either i got the name wrong as he spoke "Irish" smile.png, or he was lying
He wasnt trying to sell you a share in the place was he?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Shenanigans in the Avenue has been closed but the one in Jomtien is up and flourishing.

The only two expat managers they have had in the Avenue location were named Simon and Tony. Kim was the manager at the old location. Nobody named Pat was ever associated with it that he knew of.

Interesting to know, either i got the name wrong as he spoke "Irish" smile.png, or he was lying
He wasnt trying to sell you a share in the place was he?
He was not selling anything, but lived next door to me

The fact that it has closed is, I think, good evidence that no one cared that it was open, and that no one will care that it has now closed. "Money talks; nobody walks...." Nuff said......

Things aren't quite that simple. A restaurant can be enjoyed by many people, even look busy sometimes, and still just not be profitable for a myriad of diverse reasons.

Actually, things are just that simple. The utterly vague and meaningless " myriad of diverse reasons" -- perhaps poor location, lousy food, boring/uninteresting/unfriendly atmosphere, high prices, all the foregoing -- translate into one fundamental problem for a failed retail business -- too few customers willing to pay the asked price for what ever is being sold -- the death spiral begins. I am amazed at the people that lament the demise of the "mom and pop" grocery stores in the US, as they drive by them on their way to Walmart 10 miles farther down the road, but also with a much better selection and 25% cheaper prices. Put them in museums in you want to preserve that dying piece if Americana -- their time as going business concerns is over. And the reality is that no one actually misses them (at least not enough to support them with their purchases, which is the fundamental raison d'être for any retail business). With as many bars and restaurants as there are in Pattaya, why would anyone lament the closing of a pseudo-Irish pub whose business plan was so flawed (in a myriad of diverse ways) that it couldn't even attract enough customers on a regular basis who would part with their money in sufficient quantities to keep the place afloat? Will it be missed? Hardly. Boggles the mind.....

• Like 2

Again, no it is not that simple. So many possible reasons. Bad management. Pricing structure wrong. Internal theft. Ownership disputes. Lawsuits. Poor capitalization. Could go on and on. For every failed business, there is a specific story to be told.

Edited by Jingthing

If he spoke Irish, he would have said Padraig and not Pat

If he spoke Irish, he would have said Padraig and not Pat

He would have said many things, does not mean i understood much of it.

Sorry , but always have a problem understanding Irish and Scottish, Welsh is not too bad but does need some concentrating :)

I knew an ex General Manager who ran the place, name Pat.

Place was full, they then let him go once he built it up and put a Thai manager to replace him.

Pat naturally was pissed off, but was happy to get away and moved away.

Just before he moved(about 1 year ago) he was saying, that the new Thai Manager is an idiot and most likely will run it down within a year.

I guess Pats predictions were right

Instant failure, just add a local. Seen it happen time and time and time again. 99% of them only know one way to run a business, which is into the ground.

I heard the rent was ridiculously expensive there.

No shit Sherlock, never heard of doing what if scenarios on Excel.

Thats why places like soi LK are booming and WS is for tourists.

The only ones making any money are the landlords selling dreams to the mugs.

Edited by rgs2001uk

Oh dear. And it is possible there is another casualty one floor below called The Car Park pub with 2 old cars on the balcony. I noticed just this week it was all boarded up. I knew a member of staff there and one evening they told her about three weeks ago not to come back for 14 days because it was so quiet. Then she didn't receive any more salary. She told me they had spent quite a lot of money on the fit out, but maybe they simply didn't have enough cash set aside?

Businesses in that complex do seem to be jinxed, don't they?

Edited by Asiantravel

But the OP mentioned in another thread that the problem with the Avenue is that the original leaseholderes, from which Shenanigans was one, got their lease so dead cheap. whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/564584-whats-up-at-california-wow-doors-closed/?p=6120194

As mentioned previously all the vacant shops were originally leased on up to 30 year leases at super cheap rates but the lease did not stipulate that they actually had to open

Edited by jbrain

But the OP mentioned in another thread that the problem with the Avenue is that the original leaseholderes, from which Shenanigans was one, got their lease so dead cheap. whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/564584-whats-up-at-california-wow-doors-closed/?p=6120194

As mentioned previously all the vacant shops were originally leased on up to 30 year leases at super cheap rates but the lease did not stipulate that they actually had to open

yeah, heard it all before, cheap rent, but no mention of "key money"

Thai manager = instant doom cheesy.gif

Tony was the manager last time I spoke to him which was not to long ago, ex of Tropical Murphy's in Samui. Not that it really matters the place had problems. Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

I used to go to Shennanigans across the road. Watched all World Cup 2002 games there with my wife and I mean all! Great atmosphere, especially when England beat the Argies, great days.

Didn't really like the upstairs place when it moved.

Agree...the Avenue location never had the homey atmosphere of the original Royal Garden location, which always seemed to do a good business. The new location was too posh and I don't think the food was a good either. Funny that the old location was replaced y a hotel F&B outlet Irish pub, Dicey Reilly, which never seems to be doing much trade.

Maybe it was to do with different management also?

When Shannanigan's moved the old manager went to another Irish Pub and a new management was put in place at the Avenue and a lot of the regulars moved with the old manager.

jimmybkk, I guess you've not been there many times in a car if you think there's ample parking?

Well, for around 8 months I was going there by car 6 days a week, in and out a couple of times a day, and I very seldom had to park above the 3rd floor. Errrmm.... You are aware there is a multi-storey parking area as well as the outdoor parking in front of Villa, right...?

Biggest problem with the Avenue was the fact that Central Beach Mall opened 5 minutes later!

Then Pattaya People had a go at promoting the place, total disaster!

Major cineplex handed back a complete floor due to lack of business.

The whole place was badly designed, I'm sure the architect must have been drunk, have you ever tried to negotiate a big car round their car park?

Did Shenanigans actually ever sort out their insect infestation problem? I've have had more comfortable and relaxing meals sat on the floor in the middle of Nakhorn Nowhere.

There was a bit of hype regarding grand plans to turn in into an entertainment complex.. Nowt seems to have happened there, although many were expecting a Nana Plaza type venue.

But in true Thai style they will sit on an empty property dreaming that people will come along and save the day by paying overpriced rents!

Edited by Satcommlee

Liked the venue during the daytime for quiet lunch-dates. But last year place went downhill....air con not on...some of the daily specials like kebabs weren't available at lunchtime, their idea of baked potato was mashed potato on a bed of French fries, bizarre !

All rather weird.

Popped into their Jomtien venue recently, which I personally would not call being in a prime location, and it was humming along nicely.

Not packed but a fair few punters having lunch, and quite a few having beers at the counter, considering it was just 12 o'clock.

Not cheap either, burger and 2 beers was just under 500 Baht.

Decent quality though...

I have heard whispers that one of the long established better class pub/restaurants on Soi 7 may be closing down soon.

From what the bar room lawyers have been saying in Pattaya these past few years I was under the impression sois 7 & 8 were to be redeveloped, who knows.

Anyway wouldnt surprise me if new rental terms have been offered that would render the place unprofitable, or lead to an increase of prices.

Does anybody know if Tony the manager got a job some where else? if so where. known him long time just interested.

The guy who ran the place until 12(?) months ago went to the Lion Pub on Soi 17, don't know if that is him or not. That's also a nice pub and had some real nice Marco Pierre White cider, "The Govenor", if I remember well.....

Does anybody know if Tony the manager got a job some where else? if so where. known him long time just interested.

The guy who ran the place until 12(?) months ago went to the Lion Pub on Soi 17, don't know if that is him or not. That's also a nice pub and had some real nice Marco Pierre White cider, "The Govenor", if I remember well.....

Sssssssssh there are those of us locals who prefer The Lion Pub to remain a local and not be filled with ex Shenanigans clients.

Edited by RabC