Makha Bucha Day Tomorrow

dave2

The sign says " candlelight procession to the temple" . Does anyone know which temple and what time please ?

Wat Pra Singh within the city walls will have most people and the most atmosphere to do your Wiang Thian. Wat Jet Yod is a lot more peaceful and pretty. In the evenings is the best as it involves circling the Pagoda 3 times with a candle and incense sticks.

IMHO. Whilst Religion may be not be your 'thing'--surely, since we are living in a predominantly Buddhist country, [ as 'Guests', as well!! Apparently] surely, we could show a little respect??

Now I'm going to hide from the incoming FLAK!

• Like 1

I found chilled cider in Lotus today wow I got rather excited and headed straight for the cashier.

:(

Needless to say I had to have a Chang from a small shop as you cant sell beer on Buddha day now can you.

Control and thinking for yourself - 1 day maybe...........

• Like 1

The sign says " candlelight procession to the temple" . Does anyone know which temple and what time please ?

Wat Pra Singh within the city walls will have most people and the most atmosphere to do your Wiang Thian. Wat Jet Yod is a lot more peaceful and pretty. In the evenings is the best as it involves circling the Pagoda 3 times with a candle and incense sticks.

I thought Wat Chedi Luang was the place to go.

• Like 1

IMHO. Whilst Religion may be not be your 'thing'--surely, since we are living in a predominantly Buddhist country, [ as 'Guests', as well!! Apparently] surely, we could show a little respect??

Nope no flak and no disrespect, however when peoples lives are affected by someone else's religion and it dictates what they can and cannot do that is where the line is drawn, if you believe in something FINE knock yourself out just dont force your beliefs on others because that is why religions have killed more people than all the wars put together and it because of exactly that, forcing your beliefs on others. Edited by DiamondKing
  • Like 1

Nope no flak and no disrespect, however when peoples lives are affected by someone else's religion and it dictates what they can and cannot do that is where the line is drawn, if you believe in something FINE knock yourself out just dont force your beliefs on others because that is why religions have killed more people than all the wars put together and it because of exactly that, forcing your beliefs on others.

You ex-Saudi DK?

it involves circling the Pagoda 3 times with a candle and incense sticks.

SOUNDS EXCITING

Can be quite romantic if that is one's thing.

Nope no flak and no disrespect, however when peoples lives are affected by someone else's religion and it dictates what they can and cannot do that is where the line is drawn, if you believe in something FINE knock yourself out just dont force your beliefs on others because that is why religions have killed more people than all the wars put together and it because of exactly that, forcing your beliefs on others.

This has nothing to do with religion! You can drink, it's not against the law but you can't buy. It's the Thai population as a whole agree on this alcohol ban to control alcohol abuse (I know). No one is forcing religious beliefs on any foreigners or tourists. If you want to drink just buy the booze in the allowable time frame that's all! If it's your's you can drink it anytime you want, religious day or not!!

It's the Thai way to protect our country from over consumption of alcohol.

Edited by ARISTIDE

I thought Wat Chedi Luang was the place to go.

You maybe right. I think I may have them both ball about face.

You ex-Saudi DK?

Nahhh Im a Brummie mate

It is well-known that Buddhists do not force their beliefs on others. You must be thinking of the Christians, etc.

Since this day is a national off-work holiday, one can understand that many of the Thais with a fondness for alcohol might be tempted to go overboard, so by not selling alcohol today it is reminder to them of what today is, and that's about it.

It is well-known that Buddhists do not force their beliefs on others. You must be thinking of the Christians, etc.

Since this day is a national off-work holiday, one can understand that many of the Thais with a fondness for alcohol might be tempted to go overboard, so by not selling alcohol today it is reminder to them of what today is, and that's about it.

Bet they didn't hesitate to "go overboard" last night. wink.png Tomorrow it's back to work anyway.