Childbirth In Ubon Ratchatani

FreedomDude

Hello everyone. I'll be visiting your neck of the woods in Ubon very soon, and this time it's certain to be an unforgettable experience. The Misses is gonna have a baby! :o

I wanted to ask your opinions on childbirth options. She's been seeing a doctor in her village 40 miles or so from the city, but she'd like to have the baby in Ubon. I want her to get great care at an affordable price. What are the options? Where is the best care available? What are the prices? How do I avoid the "farang price" and still receive good treatment? What do most Ubon citizens pay for childbirth costs and what is provided free of charge by Thaksin?

Thanks for your assistance. Please let me know if I can clarify any of my inquiries.

And let me know when the next bbq party is. Looked like a fun time!

Hello everyone. I'll be visiting your neck of the woods in Ubon very soon, and this time it's certain to be an unforgettable experience. The Misses is gonna have a baby! :o

I wanted to ask your opinions on childbirth options. She's been seeing a doctor in her village 40 miles or so from the city, but she'd like to have the baby in Ubon. I want her to get great care at an affordable price. What are the options? Where is the best care available? What are the prices? How do I avoid the "farang price" and still receive good treatment? What do most Ubon citizens pay for childbirth costs and what is provided free of charge by Thaksin?

Thanks for your assistance. Please let me know if I can clarify any of my inquiries.

Hello FreedomDude, congratulations on your impending birth !!

I am sorry, I have absolutely no information or advice to offer - but chok dee anyway :D

By the way, which village ?

FreedomDude, I have never even been to Ubon, but I assume it is similar to Buriram in regards to its hospitals. Here there are 2 hospitals offering similar services but at different levels (and prices) The farang and Thais that can afford it here, tend to go to the newer and more expensive hospital (VIP rooms, good service and doctors, not over crowded etc etc) Other people are quite happy going to the other hospital.

Costs. For a c-section / normal delivery in the older hospital 3000 bht. plus 600bht per day for a single patient room. (if available) The procedure is normally carried out by your own doctor. In the newer hospital, I think you can multiply those figuers by 3. (but dont quote me on that) Touch wood, so far I have not needed the the services of either hospital. But I have visited both, and would be happy being admitted to either :D

And congratulations too.

Edited by Thai Chi

congratulations!

knock on wood, i hope everything will follow, plan; however, I am not sure if I would trust 3rd world medicine in Thailand, at least not without having before talked intensely to the doctors who will bring your baby to birth.

My son was born on Phuket in an International Hospital, and the birth happened only with very minor complications. Today and in hindsight, I am not sure if a complicated birth would have been a good idea there and I was taken back a little bit because of the hygienic standard in that particular hospitals operating theatre.

From all the hospitals that I have seen in the Isaan, I would imagine it can only be worse. You might want to check out the local hospital there and then travel with your wife to Bangkok and check out the hospitals there. It is not a good idea to safe on the wrong end here...!

Greez,

jts

Congratulations FreedomDude,

My daugher was born here in Ubon Ratchathani just a year and a half ago, so this information is fairly current. Before rushing into childbirth, I suggest you take some trips to a clinic across the road from Supphasit Hospital on the street with the same name. That's a big hospital; everybody knows it. The name of the clinic is Sontaya. Tried to get the phone number but it got lost when we moved and my wife couldn't find it in the phone book. When the time comes, the doctor at Sontaya will be at the hospital across the street to deliver the baby.

Your wife should have a "pink book" already. She should take that with her when she goes to see the doctor at Sontaya. As the pregnancy progresses, visits are more frequent. Something like once a week. I'm opening a cafe/pub/restaurant nearby, so come and have a beer while you wait. The clinic costs are trivial, a few hundred baht for medicine.

When the time comes, don't panic, even if you are 40 km away. They don't usually pop out of the oven while you're driving to town. Go to Supphasit Hospital. They will ask if you have "special," so say yes and they will get the same doctor your wife has been seeing at Sontaya Clinic. My wife says he's a very good doctor. I checked in my wife and they just told me to go home. So, at two in the morning, I had a small Sangsom to celebrate the fast-approching event, then overslept. When I got back to the hospital my daughter was already born. At first my wife was put in a room with about 30 ladies. I've attached a photo. Then she moved to a private room which was about 1,200 baht or so a day (can't remember). All together, it cost about 10,000 baht. I've also attached a photo of the private room.

For vaccines, etc., we prefer going to Ubonrak Hospital.

Hope this helps.

post-27112-1141781367_thumb.jpgpost-27112-1141781427_thumb.jpg

Congratulations FreedomDude,

My daugher was born here in Ubon Ratchathani just a year and a half ago, so this information is fairly current. Before rushing into childbirth, I suggest you take some trips to a clinic across the road from Supphasit Hospital on the street with the same name. That's a big hospital; everybody knows it. The name of the clinic is Sontaya. Tried to get the phone number but it got lost when we moved and my wife couldn't find it in the phone book. When the time comes, the doctor at Sontaya will be at the hospital across the street to deliver the baby.

Your wife should have a "pink book" already. She should take that with her when she goes to see the doctor at Sontaya. As the pregnancy progresses, visits are more frequent. Something like once a week. I'm opening a cafe/pub/restaurant nearby, so come and have a beer while you wait. The clinic costs are trivial, a few hundred baht for medicine.

When the time comes, don't panic, even if you are 40 km away. They don't usually pop out of the oven while you're driving to town. Go to Supphasit Hospital. They will ask if you have "special," so say yes and they will get the same doctor your wife has been seeing at Sontaya Clinic. My wife says he's a very good doctor. I checked in my wife and they just told me to go home. So, at two in the morning, I had a small Sangsom to celebrate the fast-approching event, then overslept. When I got back to the hospital my daughter was already born. At first my wife was put in a room with about 30 ladies. I've attached a photo. Then she moved to a private room which was about 1,200 baht or so a day (can't remember). All together, it cost about 10,000 baht. I've also attached a photo of the private room.

For vaccines, etc., we prefer going to Ubonrak Hospital.

Hope this helps.

post-27112-1141781367_thumb.jpgpost-27112-1141781427_thumb.jpg

Supphasit hospitl,, as know as Goverment hospital,,,

Just a hint that there is few private hospitals as well and way advance tecnology than Gov hospital, RAJAVEJ hospital example,, on of my UK friend took his sick son to there and Doctor's detect with in few Hrs, few of the ilnesses that NOT even UK hospitals had not found before.

I also have to say that i dont have kid but i have been using most of the hospitals in UBOn and found ot that i keep my self and wife out from Gov hospital, even it is way cheeper than private one's..

Just a something to think abt

-Marco-

Suppasit Hospital with your private Doctor attending will be as good as you can get anywhere and a lot cheaper. My son was born in a private clinic 23 years ago so I am afraid I can give you no up to date info but your wife should have no problems.

I am surprised you even have the choice, the family should already have everything sorted out and all you would have to do is look pathetic and coo now and then! :o

Good luck with the birth and if you decide to have it in Ubon and not BKK - remember to register it in time! My son has 2 birthdays because we had to tell fibs when we registered it!