Decline On Sterling (The Pound)

pipchatel

Just because the OP appears to be well off doesn't mean to say he's not feeling the squeeze.

We all want to live the life that we are accustomed, if not better, and having the children privately educated is at huge additional expense.

The guy is worried like everyone else.

He's still getting 30-40% more from his pensions than he was getting when he originally came here.

Seems greedy to me.

Rubbish 17 years ago the rate was higher than it is now

Oh yes, i forgot I too pay UK tax on these pensions. Too many people here saw (or read) "THE BEACH"The dream dies with no cash!

Edited by pipchatel

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair point Transam, it's not for everyone, but the more experienced people that are prepared to work on and help out the better.

Just sayin'.

I'm just an old lazy sod. laugh.png

Join the club.

Yes those who are willing to work exactly, "The benifits culture" is draging the vdear old place down, why work when I can get 35 pounds a week? maybe I can even go to Thailand?

Exactly. The defined benefit schemes were all ponzi schemes that they're desperately trying to keep going on the backs of the young.

Invested money and living on the returns from that is totally different.

My bet is that the 4 pensions mentioned are not that type, but are the type where benefits are not or only partly linked to contributions or returns on investment. Which means they are transfers of unearned wealth from young to old.

Old people don't seem to get that, shouting they paid in for 40,50 or 110 years. How much did you pay in though? Less than 10% of earnings I'd bet when the real contribution rate to really pay the benefits received would be several orders higher.

That's the first time anyone's listened, and it still didn't do any good... Anyway, I think final salary pension schemes are a thing of the past - good news for my children but not so good for me. I have a few years of final salary scheme, but at least one of those is fully funded; I think that the other is, as well, but they are of fairly trivally low value, representing a couple of years at the lower end of the pay grades.

SC

Freeloaders yes, immigrants no.

We now see benefits tourism in the UK, which is ridiculous, and people claiming child benefit from the UK for kids in their oen countries. Mental.

However if it wasn't for immigration we would be finished, the country would grind to a halt.

I don't agree.

Immigration allows a mindset to develop among the local population ..... let someone else do the dirty work.

Immigration also drives down wages, making those jobs less attractive to the indignant population.

British expats in Thailand complaining about immigrants to the UK.

Do these idiots think before they hit the 'post' button?

The sooner the UK adopts a Thai style policy the better, thank gawd the UK isnt within reach of Rohingya boats.

How many of those immigrants are in the UK legally?

Isnt the PC terminolgy these days, "undocumented"?

What about "sheds for beds" in London?

"It's gold, it's round one point five dollars to the pound, engerland, engerland"

Seriously an immigrant complaining about immigrants. That takes a bit of hubris.

Currencies fluctuate. Very little governments can do about it, despite what you'd probably like to think.

But here is an idea. Go back to the UK for a bit. Was in the UK last week and it was surprisingly cheap.

• Like 2

At the end of the day, we are suffering because in years past we as a nation and as individuals spent money that we did not have, and failed to fulfil our future earnings commitments, as well as taking on future liability commitments that we could not afford and had not set aside provision for.

SC

I have never, in my life, spent money i didn't have.

Please don't include me with those people running the UK for the last 66 years.

I didn't want them in power, I didn't vote for them to be in power, I was never given the choice to vote "No suitable applicant" on the ballot papers.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Convenient verbal semantics. You're an immigrant, and there are a heck of a lot of public infrastructure that others have paid for which we all use. You can't begrudge that. At least most immigrants to the UK work and pay taxes - often overlooked.

As for the Rohyinga's - fark mate, I don't have anything but pity for those poor sods. I'd roll out the welcome mat for anyone willing to risk their lives for the chance at a new life. As the classic TISM song goes, 'I might be a c*nt, but at least I'm not a f*#king c*nt'.

I don't really think that comparing immigration policies is relevant to the comparison of exchange rates.

What is relevant is that people are willing to relocate from wealthy countries to poor countries, for whatever reason, which contributes to an outflow of currency, and contributes to a decline in the exchange rate. So you old fellas are part of the problem. And the sooner you do something about it, the better.

SC

Convenient verbal semantics. You're an immigrant, and there are a heck of a lot of public infrastructure that others have paid for which we all use. You can't begrudge that. At least most immigrants to the UK work and pay taxes - often overlooked.

As for the Rohyinga's - fark mate, I don't have anything but pity for those poor sods. I'd roll out the welcome mat for anyone willing to risk their lives for the chance at a new life. As the classic TISM song goes, 'I might be a c*nt, but at least I'm not a f*#king c*nt'.

No problem with LEGAL immigrants whatsoever, as has been pointed out they work, contribute and pay taxes, often doing jobs the workshy feral hoody chav Brits are unqualified to do.

Never heard of TISM, not an Ozzy will need to ask an Ozzy mate to explain, arent you an Ozzy?

I have put more than half my cash in Thai assets, and some time ago changed most of the rest (then GBP) to $US at 1.896 average.

The point being that at that time everyone was saying the $ was finished, dead, suicide. Time had someone lighting a cigarette with a $ bill on the cover.

I still about 10% in GBP.

The question being......can anyone bring a persuasive case why action (selling or buying GBP, or $ for that matter) is advised or ill advised?

If you spend Baht I would continue to hold USD, that will hedge you against GBP and THB, I think. Like it or not USD remains the reserve currency and all export bills in Thailand are settled in USD hence the Baht is unlikely to be allowed to get too strong.

neither the reserve currency status nor the export bills prevented THB to strengthen 35% vs USD during the last decade whistling.gif

in absolute terms, the home i built in 2005/2006 would today be exactly 210,000 Dollars more expensive, assuming that prices of building materials are the same (which they are not).

Do you not mean that the dollars are 35% cheaper (I know, 25% cheaper is the opposite of 33% more expensive...). Anyway, why do people assume that money has a fixed value? It is a transient asset worth nothing until it is invested or spent

SC

i meant exactly what i wrote, namely buying THB 21mm in 2005 required USD 494,000 whereas today one has to shell out USD 703,753 to buy the same amount of THB; an example directed at the claim

"If you spend Baht I would continue to hold USD, that will hedge you against GBP and THB, I think."

as far as your question "why do people assume that...?" is concerned i have no answer except the advice to address those "people who assume that...?" perhaps they have an answer.

wai2.gif

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

I wondered how long it would take for the thread to turn into a "blame the immigrants" rant.

Frankly, it'd be great if the lemmings figured out exactly what it is they're complaining about.

I mean, some of them bitch about immigrants taking all the jobs that "our kids" should be getting and the rest are suggesting that they're claiming all the bloody benefits. Make your minds up, eh.

The indigenous population don't want to sweep the streets; they don't want to work in menial jobs. No, these jokers want to exchange their 2:2 degree in some mickey mouse subject like home economics for a suit, a MacBook Pro, an air-conditioned white collar cubicle, a Mini Cooper and £50K a year.

The sense of entitlement among today's young Brits is astonishing so what choice is there but to bring in workers who are willing to take on the jobs the homegrown workforce don't want?

Sure there are undoubtedly some immigrants that take advantage of the system but aren't there far more natives doing the same?

I don't really think that comparing immigration policies is relevant to the comparison of exchange rates.

What is relevant is that people are willing to relocate from wealthy countries to poor countries, for whatever reason, which contributes to an outflow of currency, and contributes to a decline in the exchange rate. So you old fellas are part of the problem. And the sooner you do something about it, the better.

SC

What is relevant is that people are willing to relocate from wealthy countries to poor countries

Are you seriously saying I should relocate from Thailand to the UK?

• Like 1

I wondered how long it would take for the thread to turn into a "blame the immigrants" rant.

The indigenous population don't want to sweep the streets; they don't want to work in menial jobs. No, these jokers want to exchange their 2:2 degree in some mickey mouse subject like home economics for a suit, a MacBook Pro, an air-conditioned white collar cubicle, a Mini Cooper

Just to point out, people with a degree in Home Economics are much sought after in UK schools and 6th form colleges. Anyone with such a degree could probably be employed the next day on 25k a year in UK higher education. You don't even need a 2:2, ordinary would be fine. OK so not 50k a year, but the hours and holidays are good.

PS

Most HE degree courses are 'ordinary' so they are not likely to have anything higher.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

SC

What is relevant is that people are willing to relocate from wealthy countries to poor countries

Are you seriously saying I should relocate from Thailand to the UK?

If you want to improve the exchange rate, that is one thing that you could do about it, yes.

Personally, I earn money in foreign countries and spend it in Britain. What do you do to help?

SC

Frankly, it'd be great if the lemmings figured out exactly what it is they're complaining about.

I mean, some of them bitch about immigrants taking all the jobs that "our kids" should be getting and the rest are suggesting that they're claiming all the bloody benefits. Make your minds up, eh.

The indigenous population don't want to sweep the streets; they don't want to work in menial jobs. No, these jokers want to exchange their 2:2 degree in some mickey mouse subject like home economics for a suit, a MacBook Pro, an air-conditioned white collar cubicle, a Mini Cooper and £50K a year.

The sense of entitlement among today's young Brits is astonishing so what choice is there but to bring in workers who are willing to take on the jobs the homegrown workforce don't want?

Sure there are undoubtedly some immigrants that take advantage of the system but aren't there far more natives doing the same?

I doubt very much if these yobs are even qualified to take on the jobs many immigrants are doing.

Never mind a dodgy 2:2 in Media Studies, most dont even have GCSEs.

Gawd knows what the Thais think of some of the so called TEFLr brigade washing up on these shores, the real creme de la creme of farangland.

Not to mention, boiler room ops, or time share touts.

Thailand where the failed at home farang wash out can reinvent himself to whatever he wants to be.

I get three or four requests for a job every day in life........to one extent it's heart rending to see, on the other hand I am convinced that the UK is on the right path.

The downgrading was a good thing, it reminds us all that the debt problem is the biggest single issue facing the UK and we can't slacken off in regards to tackling it.

There's been far, far, far too much feather bedding and a jobs for life attitude in the UK. Abysmal teachers and nurses are virtually unsackable, many people skip onto long term sickness on full pay at every opportunity.

My sister was the third in command of Burger King in Scotland, she spent 20 years in private industry, she took an adult degree course and changed careers to join the NHS Human Resources department as a senior manager in my home county. What she found horrified her, I've mentioned it before on the forum so I won't repeat.

She says that the NHS unions have far too much power, however she also says that the unions have now started to support management when it comes to addressing the long term sickness problem, as even they have been disgusted and horrified at some of the stories being uncovered. People being off sick for 12 YEARS!!

We're all in it together, I was going to semi-retire this year but instead of that I'm starting a new company, I'm in the process of renovating the premises right now. I reckon that I'll have about 15 new employees and trainees by the end of this year. I want a lot more next year.

There are far too many talented and experienced people retiring far too early. I wish they would come out of retirement and put their shoulder to the wheel, we need them. My parents are 68 this year, they are coming out of retirement to help my new company.

It's easy to ladle opprobrium against the current government, this government was left holding the baby, and the baby ain't happy.

Do us UK based members a favour, and give us a break........we've got our shoulder to the wheel, we're all in it together, so rather than moan about all things British, try a radical new approach. How about supporting us? and some of you guys that are young enough, how about stepping out of the bar, walking off the beach, and coming back to give us a hand?.

I know two men that have returned from overseas retirement to do exactly that, these guys aren't skint, they saw their old companies struggling and they came back and put the working gear on.

You have no idea how proud of these men I am. Come on gents......let's get to it.

bloody hell, thats a speech written for parliment mate clap2.gif

Norman Tebbit returns!

• Like 2

If you want to improve the exchange rate, that is one thing that you could do about it, yes.

Personally, I earn money in foreign countries and spend it in Britain. What do you do to help?

SC

Going to the UK in a few months, thinking on buying another property.

Have decided I will wait til the pommie peso hits 40 to the baht then buy, save a few quid into the bargain.

SC

Going to the UK in a few months, thinking on buying another property.

Have decided I will wait til the pommie peso hits 40 to the baht then buy, save a few quid into the bargain.

Have the Chinese bought up all the Australian property already?

I get three or four requests for a job every day in life........to one extent it's heart rending to see, on the other hand I am convinced that the UK is on the right path.

The downgrading was a good thing, it reminds us all that the debt problem is the biggest single issue facing the UK and we can't slacken off in regards to tackling it.

There's been far, far, far too much feather bedding and a jobs for life attitude in the UK. Abysmal teachers and nurses are virtually unsackable, many people skip onto long term sickness on full pay at every opportunity.

My sister was the third in command of Burger King in Scotland, she spent 20 years in private industry, she took an adult degree course and changed careers to join the NHS Human Resources department as a senior manager in my home county. What she found horrified her, I've mentioned it before on the forum so I won't repeat.

She says that the NHS unions have far too much power, however she also says that the unions have now started to support management when it comes to addressing the long term sickness problem, as even they have been disgusted and horrified at some of the stories being uncovered. People being off sick for 12 YEARS!!

We're all in it together, I was going to semi-retire this year but instead of that I'm starting a new company, I'm in the process of renovating the premises right now. I reckon that I'll have about 15 new employees and trainees by the end of this year. I want a lot more next year.

There are far too many talented and experienced people retiring far too early. I wish they would come out of retirement and put their shoulder to the wheel, we need them. My parents are 68 this year, they are coming out of retirement to help my new company.

It's easy to ladle opprobrium against the current government, this government was left holding the baby, and the baby ain't happy.

Do us UK based members a favour, and give us a break........we've got our shoulder to the wheel, we're all in it together, so rather than moan about all things British, try a radical new approach. How about supporting us? and some of you guys that are young enough, how about stepping out of the bar, walking off the beach, and coming back to give us a hand?.

I know two men that have returned from overseas retirement to do exactly that, these guys aren't skint, they saw their old companies struggling and they came back and put the working gear on.

You have no idea how proud of these men I am. Come on gents......let's get to it.

I'd be happy to join and support you blether.

Unfortunately while some people like yourselves have the right attitude, there are far too many hangers on in the system, far too much bureaucracy, and far too many other people that would be p******g my hard earned cash away on other people who wouldn't be prepared to join us :)

• Like 1

I'd recommend buying an investment property in the East End of Glasgow, convenient for a station, off the main road but near a handy bus route to the city centre.

SC

Why thank you very much for your free impartial advice, such a rarity these days.

As for investment property in the East End, I was under the impression the Indian slum landlords had bought them all already.

My friends in the land of the jock recommend either Edinburgh or St Andrews, but what do I know.

Oh to have such worries............

3 kids in private school.......

Renting out the second home......

Feel free to come back and tell the working man in the UK how difficult things are for you.

Why are people so jealous?. Perhaps he went without,to pay for his children's private education,maybe he worked 14hrs a day ,when he was working.

You mention the working man in the UK,yes,I also feel sorry for those who work hard,or have been put on the dole through no fault of their own, yet still want to work.unfortunately as we all know,there's a part of the British people who are not prepared to work,they seem to think it's their right to be able to draw and live on the many benefits that they have been bribed with by successive governments.