U.k. Citizenship

Hi TV members

Wife just recieved ILR.

She has lived in U.K several years continuesly on FLR visas.

My question is must she wait 1 year before applying for Citizenship or can she apply immediately?

Has anybody been in a similar situation and have a definate answer.

Thanks

CCC

In order to demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:

• have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
  • have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
  • have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
  • have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
  • have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period.

In my opinion you can apply for citizenship now as you satisfy the rules, i know it's a worry because of the £851 un-refundable fee, i know some Philipino's who applied straight after ILR and recieved citizenship 5 weeks later.

All the best

• Like 1

Just check:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/spouseorcivilpartnerofcitizen/

It sounds as if the residential requirements are met.

My suggestion is you contact the local council and use the Nationality Checking Service. They are not qualified to advise but they do have a check list and will bring it to your attention anything in the application that is incorrect. You risk about £90 rather than £851!

We used this for my wife and daughter and they were very thorough, even down to checking payslips!

Key documents are copied and returned to you so you are not without passports etc.

We had the citizenship ceremony yesterday!!

Good luck!

• Like 1