Places The Tacky 2 Week Package Tourist From Russia Mobs Hasn't Ruined Yet

driedmango

Ya, I am seriously considering not moving to Thailand.

Is the Russian mafia and the hordes of package tourists going to spare some parts of Thailand ?

I have no problem with many Russians, don't get me wrong.. just the plane loads of crazy drinking ones that seem to be just to hard to be around for me..

It seems most are heading to handful of spots only, I don't think those types are going to the far flug places yet, but time will tell...

I am sure someday word will go around in Russia that the Thais are sweet people and it's nice to speak a little English if you want to speak with people from almost any other country.. and sooner or later you will get much more down to earth people from Russia around mixing in a fair percentage with every other nationality as is the previous ways of thailand..

In the meantime, what can you do and where can you go ?

Edited by driedmango

Unless you're thinking of heading to Phuket or Pattaya... I'm sure you'll be fine. I live in Bangkok and I rarely meet ANY Russians... Never mind the Russian mafia.

Obviously I understand that there is a problem with Russians and mafia and the likes in some areas of Thailand but if you mind your own business, what's the problem?

Unless you're thinking of heading to Phuket or Pattaya... I'm sure you'll be fine. I live in Bangkok and I rarely meet ANY Russians... Never mind the Russian mafia.

Obviously I understand that there is a problem with Russians and mafia and the likes in some areas of Thailand but if you mind your own business, what's the problem?

My only problems have been

1. I am a light sleeper and in hotels I can't sleep with russian package guests around, they just don't care about other peoples peace

2. I went to say the 5 tier waterfall, for instance, and there was about 400 Russians doing cannon balls and the thais were really pissed off and they thought i was a russian and told me the stories... Thai's become cold to white faces if the package tourists are there..

3. I went to Koh Chang and couldn't walk near the road as I almost got killed by so many of the Russians on bikes, and the whole vibe was like some cruise ship arrived from some backwater place where people really don't make your trip at all adventours..

Now I am not saying if you took that many of any country, and also had the local mafia from that country taking over an area it would matter, but so far I have yet t notice other countries being a problem in this exacty way... sure you got the bad apples and all sorts of slime coming to thailand, but I mean, where there is mobs and THE mob...

For instance there is tons of people from Japan around the north and they throw sort of exclusive parties, BUT THEY INVITE THE THAI's and have much respect for thais, and anyone is welcome... and they donate money to the land and leave it spotless..

Just saying.. the world is changing.. I like to be around you know, two from each country in a big group where we all try to speak and share and try to respect thailand to keep some of the magic alive ....

Edited by driedmango

Not sure that I can recommend ANY tourist destination to a 'light sleeper' :I find alcohol helps me sleep in Patts, and I can don't recall a single Russian drinking in the blacked out bars on Soi 7 at 4am. I'll be keeping a close eye out for these crazy party animals on my next visit to Soi 6. Before the Russians it was 'bovver boys from Borstal' - Patts has always had a-holes : the fun lies in avoiding them and enjoying the company of the people who are just there for a good time.

• Like 1