Bangkok: Student, Unable To Take Exam, Decides To Hold Woman Hostage

webfact

Student, unable to take exam, decides to hold woman hostage
By Coconuts Bangkok

Screen-Shot-2556-02-27-at-2.19.13-PM-578

BANGKOK: -- At 2pm yesterday, a 20-year-old student at the Bangkok Technical School of Business Administration took his 17-year-old fellow student hostage after seeing that his name was not on the examinee list.

Phrakanong police said that the incident took place on the balcony of the second floor of the school’s Building 1 where Nattawut Inpreeprem held a five-inch-long knife to the hostage’s neck. Police called Nattawut’s relatives to the school in an effort to calm him down. He agreed to let go of the girl after 20 minutes of negotiation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=73H0jvaYfwQ

Nattawut told police that he succumbed to stress after realizing that his failure to pay the THB10,000 tuition fee disqualified him as an exam taker. [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/student-unable-to-take-exam-decides-to-hold-woman-hostage/

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-02-27

I wonder why he was carrying a 5" knife if he came with the intention of doing the exam then finding out he was not on the list. A little hard to explain that one away. But then look at the footage of the victim. She will need some serious counselling. So stress or no stress, the kid did not pay the 10,000 baht fee for exams? How does that work. Nevertheless, holding a hostage, attempted assault with a deadly weapon, throw the book at this kid and put him away as an example and let him spend some time no mater how short, in the monkey house with shackles. He may think twice next time poor darling.

• Like 1

Is he saying that he intended to take a fee paying exam and didn't realise failure to pay would disqualify him ? He ha s a bright future ahead of him it seems, might do well in politics

I think he would make a good Science Minister.

• Like 1

Sad story for everyone. Not right. But exams are always stressful and his reaction at least showed he cared about them. I hope that some way can be found for him to continue his studies if he really wants to so much and punishment such that he will not act so stupidly again.

He obviously didn't care enough to pay

This seems to be a very cock-eyed way of gaining qualifications. Yonks ago in the UK there were a small number of examining authorities the main one being the Oxford and Cambridge Examination Board. The authorities set the syllabus and set the examination papers. The boards were publicly funded but then so were most schools. Anybody could sit the examinations and many who were tutored at home privately or by their parents did so. I gained my initial qualifications right up to University entrance level when I was in the Armed Forces.

Fee paying schools would ask the parents who had not coughed up the money for their charges to attend such schools to remove the child, and the parents arrange for their child to enter the State education programme. Thus a case of being banned from taking the opportunity to gain qualifications could never occur.

It makes sense to me to separate the process of education from that of sitting examinations. One obvious by product of this would be that Thai qualifications might well gain some acceptance.

What he did was wrong, but I believe education should be free and completely paid by tax money.

I think the Thai and American systems are unfair because they make it very hard to escape from poverty.

There's no way a donuts seller in tesco will be able to pay 10000B education fee He did not forget to pay, he was unable to pay.. I understand his anger but he expressed it the wrong way.

He should be punished and and he should learn to control his anger, but I also hope he can continue his education.

• Like 1

Could 10kB exam fees be part of the well calculated and not exclusive to Thailand system of getting young people into debt early in their lives?

Must keep the have nots down where they belong you cant have rich without having poor.

Of course this doesn't apply to those who already have money they can afford to pay.

Well, here is how I decide to feel about this:

Under stress, but from whom or what? Didn't say. The police didn't ask. They decided not to arrest the mentally unstable idiot who was on the brink of murdering another human being. The police only want to interrogate him and then turn him loose at the technical school again; or did the reporter fail to mention how the school would deal with this? Yes. The reporter forgot to mention that and a lot more. The police decided that they will let the girl decide his future. I am sure she is contemplating seeing him in the halls for the remainder of her time there at school. Maybe they can get married and spawn some more lunatics. Where is this girls father in the whole affair. That boy would be dead meat in my book. Don't put a knife to my daughters throat and threaten to slit her throat and then let the boys in crap brown flake it off as a poor stressed out man. Don't fail to mention that in all likelihood he'll be allowed to continue his term at the school where his victim has to see him every day and fear for her life, and subsequently not be able to focus on her studies as a result. I guarantee that the boy would be sitting at a restaurant some day and have a tall dark stranger come and sit next to him and explain the facts of life and that it would be practical for him to "decide" to disappear entirely or someone else would decide. So, any fathers out there? I am I wrong in my unfathomable anger towards the reporter, the police, the school, this idiot and his parents?

Thais are so (Rule No.3 to the extreme) stupid that they should be thankful they don't have winters here to weed the herd a bit. I am not thankful. I wish Thailand would have a few winters with ten foot high snowdrifts so that only the strong and quick witted would survive and bring a bit of sense to this comedy of errors.

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 2

Sad story for everyone. Not right. But exams are always stressful and his reaction at least showed he cared about them. I hope that some way can be found for him to continue his studies if he really wants to so much and punishment such that he will not act so stupidly again.

I must be cold and hard because there's no way would I let someone who wigged out to this extent anywhere near other students again. Stress or not I can't find an excuse for reacting the way he did.

Edited by saroq

Part of the issue is how Thai boys are raised. They are brought up to believe they somehow have an elevated status in life. They behave foolishly when things do not go their way, as Thai culture does not seem to teach them about hardship, and bearing the brunt of events, when they do not unfold to our liking. My mother always told me no men were created equal, and life is not fair. It created a lack of expectation within me, when it comes to getting a fair shake. We must create for ourselves, and not expect the earth to simply provide, right? I do not think many Thai men think this way. They seem to have a sense of entitlement. Thai women are far more levelheaded. That is why they run the country. Without Thai women this country would fall apart in 30 days, or less. They are the salvation of this land. Thai men are simply along for the ride.

Is he saying that he intended to take a fee paying exam and didn't realise failure to pay would disqualify him ? He ha s a bright future ahead of him it seems, might do well in politics

Yes that would be the ideal career for him.

I was wondering about his mental capacity any how. First he dosen't pay the fee and talks to no one to secure a deal on it then he takes a hostage. It is obvious to me that a stretch in a ding dong hospital would be in order for him. I guess that would qualify him for politics. He could be a star. Then just add ear medicine and viola Thailand is saved from the nameless evil overlords.

Part of the issue is how Thai boys are raised. They are brought up to believe they somehow have an elevated status in life. They behave foolishly when things do not go their way, as Thai culture does not seem to teach them about hardship, and bearing the brunt of events, when they do not unfold to our liking. My mother always told me no men were created equal, and life is not fair. It created a lack of expectation within me, when it comes to getting a fair shake. We must create for ourselves, and not expect the earth to simply provide, right? I do not think many Thai men think this way. They seem to have a sense of entitlement. Thai women are far more levelheaded. That is why they run the country. Without Thai women this country would fall apart in 30 days, or less. They are the salvation of this land. Thai men are simply along for the ride.

smile.png Who is the woman behind Thaksin?wai2.gif

Perhaps we will never know. And perhaps a different rule of thumb applies to Thais of Chinese ancestry? Different culture perhaps? More men with spine, heart, soul, and volition? Men who are not afraid of the truth, their own shadows, nor facing up to their own limitations in life?

You're serious? He traumatised that girl for life - he doesn't deserve a damn thing but a fair trial.

You're serious? He traumatised that girl for life - he doesn't deserve a damn thing but a fair trial.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/622438-bangkok-law-lecturer-apologizes-for-hitting-women-pays-bt1000-fine/

Seems much more serious to me.

maybe we should hang the kid.

Some punishment combined with suitable training to enable him a real shot at the exam would seem more appropriate.

As is often preached on this board I suggest that you follow the money trail. The unlovely Pojaman and her family got the lion's share of the kitty on the break up of her marriage. I have always

considered that she was the brains in their relationship and Thaksin himself said that the only person that he took advice from was his wife. I think that she saw that the writing was on the wall for their joint exercise and that he had served his purpose, and was now not wanted baggage on the rest of her voyage through life. So far she has been proved right. She is comfortable ensconced in her own country surrounded by friends and family, he is on the lam with only sycophants for company, most of them with one eye at least on the main chance.