Transformer For Doorbell

My doorbell stopped working a short while ago. As suggested on many
websites, I've removed the push-button outside and I've touched the
wires together and no sound at all comes from the chimes when i do this.
Most suggestions I've read say that if there is no sound then the
problem is most likely with the transformer. Can anyone tell me if this
is my doorbell transformer (sorry for the poor quality pic)?

post-14840-0-28291500-1361952314_thumb.j

It's located above a balcony on the outside of the front of the house. If it's not a
transformer for the doorbell, does anyone know what it is?

Thanks in advance..

That looks like a photoswitch to me, so no it's not the doorbell transformer. Probably for the light under the balcony.

Is the door chime battery powered? Pop the lid off the chime, could be time for batteries.

Photoswitch turns a light on when it gets dark smile.png

Trace the wires from the chime to find your transformer, it's probably near your distribution board (or not as we're in Thailand).

How to trace the wires? They disappear into the wall both behind the chime and behind the button...

If i cover that photoswitch with something am I right in thinking that some light, somewhere should turn on? The light on the balcony is manually operated.

door bells in thailand have the transformer built in the chime box

I see. So do I just need a new chime box then?

What the hell, most chimes sold in Thailand are not operated with a transformer but use direct current from the mains, my guess is that your chimes are defunct and you'll need to buy a new one, don't ask me for the money!!

they are wired directly from the main because they have a transformer built in.

I dont know if this one has the transformer built in, but if it does it looks something like this

db_1355776084.jpg

This is an image of an externally mounted transformer, but they all look similar.

clap2.gif my ding dong won't ding dong.....know the feeling sometimes.........good to get a laugh thx.........

could always buy a big pair of knockers....or maybe a string with a cow bell?

would not a new wireless unit be cheap as chips?

Edited by David006

door bells in thailand have the transformer built in the chime box

Not always the case, mine was located in the ceiling. When I bought my place the doorbell did not work, it turned out to be a bad connection at the transformer, an easy fix.

Op, it sounds like you are not overly familiar with wiring or electricity. Be aware that the doorbell circuit will involve potentially lethal mains electricity. If you do not know how to prove a circuit is dead before working on it i would strongly suggest you call in a sparky.

clap2.gif my ding dong won't ding dong.....know the feeling sometimes.........good to get a laugh thx.........

But if I obtained a big pair of knockers, by ding dong would start working.

But if I obtained a big pair of knockers, by ding dong would start working.

5555 that was funny cheesy.gif

• 11 months later...

Hi guys, just to inform, the panasonic ebg888 or bticino Duton 74N bell box with their relative bell switch like the panasonic egg331 use direct 220V with no transformer.

These kind of bell boxes are regulated here in Thailand.

Here are some photos of the various components and a diagram from panasonics own leaflet that comes with the bell.

220v Door Bell and 220v Push Button:

post-40686-0-07232200-1392032167_thumb.jpost-40686-0-66487900-1392032182_thumb.j

Internals:

post-40686-0-66732800-1392032195_thumb.jpost-40686-0-85236900-1392032219_thumb.j

Diagram:

post-40686-0-54970500-1392032241_thumb.jpost-40686-0-42097400-1392032430_thumb.j

Edited by MASSIMO23

• 1 year later...

My doorbell, a Bticino model 74N has been humming on and off for the longest time. When I finally decided to investigate I pulled the cover off and noticed the plastic housing was deformed from heat. Went to home pro bought the same unit for 275 Bhat. I was going to also buy an actuator for the post but they didn't have one in stock. I checked the switch before installing the new doorbell and it opened and closed when I put an ohm meter after isolating the switch. Doorbell works, end of story, so I thought. Got involved in another project outside, came back in the house after an hour to hear humming from the doorbell again. Now I'm thinking I should install a new switch anyway.

Any thoughts anyone?