Why Are They So Slow.?

Ace of Pop

As a comparison for OP, my pal is a London Taxi driver of 30 years. Not sure of the first diesel engine used in his cabs but they changed engine manufacturers over the years but l think it was a 2.2 British Leyland, which was noisy beyond belief and rattled your teeth. They changed to a 2.5 Nissan unit, which was fairly quiet with little vibration and went well. Then they tried a Ford 2.5 which was a disaster (so l am told). Now they use a Dodge, don't know the cc or reports on it. In taxi terms, the new kid on the block in London is a Merc diesel people carrier which is the nuts. smile.png

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troll post.

Simply no way a Honda Civic (even the 2.0L) could hold a candle to a 3.0L diesel Fortuner in the hills.

Go away OP.

A 2.0 would, but only unladen, perhaps just a driver and one passenger. The fortuner wouldn't even notice 5 passengers and luggage onboard.

Yep - unladen with driver only, the Civic 2.0L would be close to line-ball with a Fortuner 3.0L in the hills. But the troll here was describing a heavily laden 2-car convoy wink.png

The OP does have a point though in that the Civic would pass the Fortuner in the corners as if it were standing still.

But again, why are they so dam noisey, that was my O.Q

Can't say why you thought they were noisy but most vehicles here are Japanese and they don't have much of a history of putting diesels in cars. As opposed to the popular diesels you are used to in Europe where they have been putting them in cars for ages and have refined the engines, sound proofing, etc.

The Fortuner you had should have been OK power wise in the hills but they are not designed for spirited driving on twisty roads. High centre of gravity etc.

I would mark the Auto Box differently. F 1.2.3., and B for Backwards.Its not rocket science,stick it in Forwards and Welly It. Does anyone actualy use the other 2 forward settings.?. Doesnt anyone know if a Euro Diesel is a different design.My O.Q. Transam must know, he seems the only Tec Guy out there.biggrin.png

Current gen diesels in TH are Euro4 spec, but your renter may have been a Euro3 (< 2012). Diesels sold in EU now are all Euro5 and Euro6 spec. While the Euro standards are primarily about emissions, NVH has also improved along with the emissions advancements.

The 2.2L Mondeo engine is used in TH for the Ford Ranger (T6) and Mazda BT-50 Pro pickups - no way I'd rate it quieter than the Toyota 1KD-FTV 3.0L, but it's better on NVH than most others in the segment.

Much more refined diesels are available in TH, you just have to pay for them... You can't expect a 1M-1.5M Baht Fortuner to have the same level of refinement as a 4M-20M Baht Benz, BMW or Porsche SUV blink.png

Perhaps you're just used to the snow under the car soaking up some of the clatter? :D

Edited by IMHO

Can't say why you thought they were noisy but most vehicles here are Japanese and they don't have much of a history of putting diesels in cars. As opposed to the popular diesels you are used to in Europe where they have been putting them in cars for ages and have refined the engines, sound proofing, etc.

The Fortuner you had should have been OK power wise in the hills but they are not designed for spirited driving on twisty roads. High centre of gravity etc.

I seem to recall that Iveco an Italian Firm refined the Ford Engines.Yes i'm comparing Apples with Oranges, but let me say the Journey back South from C.M. was relaxing, in the Truck you could see the Scenery, but felt you could be part of it on the bends. Felt well made and nice inside , but a Car is my choise. Cant see how 170 H.P hauling 2 Tons can be enough,when a Jazz n City have 120ish pulling under a Ton, and Civic/ Toyota have 160 aprox pulling about a ton.w00t.gif

I would mark the Auto Box differently. F 1.2.3., and B for Backwards.Its not rocket science,stick it in Forwards and Welly It. Does anyone actualy use the other 2 forward settings.?. Doesnt anyone know if a Euro Diesel is a different design.My O.Q. Transam must know, he seems the only Tec Guy out there.biggrin.png

Current gen diesels in TH are Euro4 spec, but your renter may have been a Euro3 (< 2012). Diesels sold in EU now are all Euro5 and Euro6 spec. While the Euro standards are primarily about emissions, NVH has also improved along with the emissions advancements.

The 2.2L Mondeo engine is used in TH for the Ford Ranger (T6) and Mazda BT-50 Pro pickups - no way I'd rate it quieter than the Toyota 1KD-FTV 3.0L, but it's better on NVH than most others in the segment.

Much more refined diesels are available in TH, you just have to pay for them... You can't expect a 1M-1.5M Baht Fortuner to have the same level of refinement as a 4M-20M Baht Benz, BMW or Porsche SUV blink.png

Perhaps you're just used to the snow under the car soaking up some of the clatter? biggrin.png

Yep, get what you pay for. I had a 2001 Merc E220 CDi (4 pot diesel), that is a 12 year old ride now, and you could not hear the engine, even when flooring it was no noisier than a petrol ride. Diesel Technology at it's best. My chum had an E300 6 pot diesel, 1996 (I think), went like a rocket and quiet as a mouse.

I seem to recall that Iveco an Italian Firm refined the Ford Engines.Yes i'm comparing Apples with Oranges, but let me say the Journey back South from C.M. was relaxing, in the Truck you could see the Scenery, but felt you could be part of it on the bends. Felt well made and nice inside , but a Car is my choise. Cant see how 170 H.P hauling 2 Tons can be enough,when a Jazz n City have 120ish pulling under a Ton, and Civic/ Toyota have 160 aprox pulling about a ton.w00t.gif

Torque does the work, the Toyota has around 363ft/ibs at 1400rpm and up, probably double the cars. Toyota does the Fortuna in a 2.7 petrol version which is a slug, around half the torque of the diesel bah.gif , but it is quiet. laugh.png

• Like 1

Torque does the work, the Toyota has around 363ft/ibs at 1400rpm and up, probably double the cars. Toyota does the Fortuna in a 2.7 petrol version which is a slug, around half the torque of the diesel bah.gif , but it is quiet. laugh.png

Torque does the work but doesn't have an advantage at higher RPM when a lighter small petrol engined car will leave a 2 tonne fotuner behind. As seen by the queues of traffic stuck behind fortuners and pajeros on the toll road.

As the smaller car could quite easily leave it behind at the lights. Although it may need to be a bit of an older smaller car.

My Vigo can wheel spin off the line at the stop light drags thumbsup.gif, max torque from 1400rpm up, Does not neeeeeeeeed high rpm like your saloon, just need to shift gears. laugh.png

As yet no smaller ride beats it.

Oooooooooops, OP I forgot. The handbook states, heavy loads and/or hilly work, use auto out of overdrive. Myself l leave it in OD cos you can just nudge the stick to locate third in a flash.

My Vigo can wheel spin off the line at the stop light drags thumbsup.gif, max torque from 1400rpm up, Does not neeeeeeeeed high rpm like your saloon, just need to shift gears. laugh.png

Oooooooooops, OP I forgot. The handbook states, heavy loads and/or hilly work, use auto out of overdrive. Myself l leave it in OD cos you can just nudge the stick to locate third in a flash.

and the fish was how big ? biggrin.png

• Like 1

Not sure what they've done to these boards, but quoting posts is now all messed up, and it just lost my whole post.

Just couldn't be bothered re-typing. Cest La Vie

Yep ive lost a few as well, gets kinda irritating. The old method where a pop up says you have to many qoutes was better so you could delete the earliest ones.

You have not come up against my Mrs little Yaris beats Vigo's & 3.2 Triton's all day long & they have no chance against it in the corners but that's not to be expected is it, she scare's the hell out of me.?? laugh.pngbiggrin.png

Perhaps you're just used to the snow under the car soaking up some of the clatter? biggrin.png

Yep, get what you pay for. I had a 2001 Merc E220 CDi (4 pot diesel), that is a 12 year old ride now, and you could not hear the engine, even when flooring it was no noisier than a petrol ride. Diesel Technology at it's best. My chum had an E300 6 pot diesel, 1996 (I think), went like a rocket and quiet as a mouse.

Stuttgart taxis were never quiet.

Torque does the work but doesn't have an advantage at higher RPM when a lighter small petrol engined car will leave a 2 tonne fotuner behind. As seen by the queues of traffic stuck behind fortuners and pajeros on the toll road.

As the smaller car could quite easily leave it behind at the lights. Although it may need to be a bit of an older smaller car,

Yep !! a 1.5 Yaris will do !! laugh.png

Not sure what they've done to these boards, but quoting posts is now all messed up, and it just lost my whole post.

Yep ive lost a few as well, gets kinda irritating. The old method where a pop up says you have to many qoutes was better so you could delete the earliest ones.

Yes there is a glitch messing things.

Edited by Kwasaki

Has the OP contacted Toyota about it ?.

Why bother as it was a rental !. Maybe the OP didn't know how to work the Automatic gearbox and only used the "R" as it maybe meant Racing thumbsup.gif

....or "P" as in Power.

I prefer stick shifts, automatic's are for girls.

You have not come up against my Mrs little Yaris beats Vigo's & 3.2 Triton's all day long & they have no chance against it in the corners but that's not to be expected is it, she scare's the hell out of me.?? laugh.pngbiggrin.png

Driver counts, ask Warpy. cheesy.gif

I can probably beat 90% of drivers here "off the line" on my bicycle. SOP at green light here seems to be "release brake", car being in drive all the time on red light, but don't bother putting foot on throttle.....

Erm just a guess. Is it because they weigh 2 tonne and have the aero qualities of a barn ?

You may well of found the Speed answer. @ Tons and 170Bhp, the Power to weight Ratio , BHP per ton is low compared to a Car. I still wonder why Euro Diesels like in the Ford Mondeo don't Clatter, are they a different design?.
bhp sells cars, torque wins races

when you drive a car its the torque that accelerate the car unless you constantly are around 6000 rpm where the gasoline engine have its max hp

• Like 1

Erm just a guess. Is it because they weigh 2 tonne and have the aero qualities of a barn ?

You may well of found the Speed answer. @ Tons and 170Bhp, the Power to weight Ratio , BHP per ton is low compared to a Car. I still wonder why Euro Diesels like in the Ford Mondeo don't Clatter, are they a different design?.

when you drive a car its the torque that accelerate the car unless you constantly are around 6000 rpm where the gasoline engine have its max hp

thumbsup.gif

Like er race cars do. tongue.png

Race cars leave the line at 6 K up. smile.png

Race cars leave the line at 6 K up. smile.png

Sooooooo.............

Torque doesn't win races then ? smile.png

You no understand stuff, perhaps. biggrin.png

I normally let thing's/peep's babble on about thing's they now nothing about but I though I would put in my three pence worth this time.

Before you have a go at the Fortuner let me update you on how to drive one.

First I bet you never knew that it has a 6 speed box and not a 4. When driving in hilly place's if you move the gear stick while in 4th from the left to the right on the selector it will go into a gear that is about halfway between 2 and third giving you more rev's/power it also does the same from 3 to 2 hence 6 speed if you then move it back to the 4th drive position it will go into normal 3rd before it go's back to top. Using it the correct way you would have found that it is not slow in fact quite rapid. Now I bet you didn't know that or was told about it either.

Now may I suggest you try and get 5/6 peep's + luggage in your Civic and see how you get on then comfort/ride or even speed wise before you have another go it's called horse's for course's.

Edited by fredob43

First I bet you never knew that it has a 6 speed box and not a 4. When driving in hilly place's if you move the gear stick while in 4th from the left to the right on the selector it will go into a gear that is about halfway between 2 and third giving you more rev's/power it also does the same from 3 to 2 hence 6 speed if you then move it back to the 4th drive position it will go into normal 3rd before it go's back to top.

I didn't know the fortuner had that option. I've had a BMW that had this also..............but that was 20 years ago smile.png

• Like 1

First I bet you never knew that it has a 6 speed box and not a 4. When driving in hilly place's if you move the gear stick while in 4th from the left to the right on the selector it will go into a gear that is about halfway between 2 and third giving you more rev's/power it also does the same from 3 to 2 hence 6 speed if you then move it back to the 4th drive position it will go into normal 3rd before it go's back to top.

I didn't know the fortuner had that option. I've had a BMW that had this also..............but that was 20 years ago smile.png

So Toyota Fortuner now has a copy BM gear box.

I didn't know it either but I have a Fortuner and noticed the rev's bit while I was driving it's pretty hilly where I live so I phoned Toyota to see if I had a problem and they told me all about it. It's not in the hand book or written down any ware that I have looked at so if you are not told or have seen it you would not know. But by Buddha does it help. N/B they didn't even know about it in the local Toyota garage, They do now.