Why Are They So Slow.?

Ace of Pop

First I bet you never knew that it has a 6 speed box and not a 4. When driving in hilly place's if you move the gear stick while in 4th from the left to the right on the selector it will go into a gear that is about halfway between 2 and third giving you more rev's/power it also does the same from 3 to 2 hence 6 speed if you then move it back to the 4th drive position it will go into normal 3rd before it go's back to top.

I didn't know the fortuner had that option. I've had a BMW that had this also..............but that was 20 years ago smile.png

So Toyota Fortuner now has a copy BM gear box.

I didn't know it either but I have a Fortuner and noticed the rev's bit while I was driving it's pretty hilly where I live so I phoned Toyota to see if I had a problem and they told me all about it. It's not in the hand book or written down any ware that I have looked at so if you are not told or have seen it you would not know. But by Buddha does it help. N/B they didn't even know about it in the local Toyota garage, They do now.

I Didn't know either , bu tthe Tuna is O.K. for whats its intended for. For me i drive alone mainly, and nothings perfect.How many times a year does one need all that 4w.d. and vast Luggage / Passenger room.? I don't take a Bed , Cooker and Fridge with me on a trip, Just a Chatterbox in the Passenger seat saying Slow Down. Don't Smirk Chaps but the Almeria's a jolly car round town.

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive a shitty 2.2 manual Ranger and have won all traffic light drags to the Tuna/Vigo........ maybe they are driven by girls.

Congratulations but are you sure the girls in the Toyota's you mention weren't just driving along wondering why the Shitty Ranger was in such a hurry to get to the next red light?

Shitty Ranger is a catchy model name, almost a good as Toyota Champ. whistling.gif

bhp sells cars, torque wins races

when you drive a car its the torque that accelerate the car unless you constantly are around 6000 rpm where the gasoline engine have its max hp

Like er race cars do. tongue.png

Race cars leave the line at 6 K up. smile.png

That quote is from Carroll Shelby, and true. Even F1 cars have torque it is just higher up the rev range. F1 cars idle about 6000 smile.png

I used to build engines for short track cars where it is all about torque. Was talking to a circuit racing guy once when buying some hitech (for the day) parts and he mentioned on of his race cams. I said "but we need torque not HP" He laughed ( he being 40 something and me being 20 something) and said "You will get more torque it will just be at higher RPM, just gear accordingly"

Edited by VocalNeal

bhp sells cars, torque wins races

when you drive a car its the torque that accelerate the car unless you constantly are around 6000 rpm where the gasoline engine have its max hp

Like er race cars do. tongue.png

Race cars leave the line at 6 K up. smile.png

That quote is from Carroll Shelby, and true. Even F1 cars have torque it is just higher up the rev range. F1 cars idle about 6000 smile.png

I used to build engines for short track cars where it is all about torque. Was talking to a circuit racing guy once when buying some hitech (for the day) parts and he mentioned on of his race cams. I said "but we need torque not HP" He laughed ( he being 40 something and me being 20 something) and said "You will get more torque it will just be at higher RPM, just gear accordingly"

Ah but F1 cars are petrol engined and high revving due to the very expensive materials used, which the teams invest in to win and all in a light weight car, but back to a 2 tonne low revving diesel engined car that would beat a low weight high revving petrol engined car. thumbsup.gif

Now shall we have some Colin Chapman qoutes ? wink.png

but back to a 2 tonne low revving diesel engined car that would beat a low weight high revving petrol engined car. thumbsup.gif

In which series of corners are you talking about?

As for Colin Chapman quotes/something about not being able to win a race on the straights but you can lose it there.

would you like a Carlo Abarth one? Anyone can get horsepower out of a big engine but it takes and artist to get it from a small engine.

Edit: Of course then there are the low weight low revving petrol engined cars that would walk away from a 2 tonne smoke belching behemoth.

Edited by VocalNeal

I thought they was Toyota Chump's ?

Also solid effort for not noticing my sly dig at Transam, your one sharp cookie aint ya Jitar.

Glad you think I am sharp, thanks for noticing.

I did assume you were stirring TA (and any other Toyota fans). Just thought Shitty Ranger and Toyota Champ made a nice combination. But you are right, Shitty Ranger and Toyota Chump is better.

Also solid effort for not noticing my sly dig at Transam, your one sharp cookie aint ya Jitar.

I did assume you were stirring TA (and any other Toyota fans). Just thought Shitty Ranger and Toyota Champ made a nice combination. But you are right, Shitty Ranger and Toyota Chump is better.

Why have a go at anyone make, Ive just returned the Rented Civic, and by the way it goes into Top @ 173 precisely, without buggering about with anything, i came back in a Mitsu Triton single cab, now that is Oily Power sorted out, it pissed past Ranger ditherers , but no one likes em here it seems. Why That.?. Normall Ride Height is reassuring ,after the Tuna Roll.I ain't Anti Tunas, just the Short Arse Thai Drivers of Black ones with a Gold Star on the front. Poo Yais they call em. Why do they think Traffic Lights are only for us peasants. Seems Ive got a bit of life going here at last.. God help Triton owners when the Truckie Mob start. Tritons have the most power dont they without tricking the ecu, for 50 Bht.giggle.gif

First I bet you never knew that it has a 6 speed box and not a 4. When driving in hilly place's if you move the gear stick while in 4th from the left to the right on the selector it will go into a gear that is about halfway between 2 and third giving you more rev's/power it also does the same from 3 to 2 hence 6 speed if you then move it back to the 4th drive position it will go into normal 3rd before it go's back to top.

I didn't know the fortuner had that option. I've had a BMW that had this also..............but that was 20 years ago smile.png

I didn't know it either but I have a Fortuner and noticed the rev's bit while I was driving it's pretty hilly where I live so I phoned Toyota to see if I had a problem and they told me all about it. It's not in the hand book or written down any ware that I have looked at so if you are not told or have seen it you would not know. But by Buddha does it help. N/B they didn't even know about it in the local Toyota garage, They do now.

This is not about copy, it simply is an option that exists for many years already.

Of course the Toyota staff didn't know about, as most of the time they don't know at lunch time what they had for breakfast, but it is a function that has been available on many Toyota models for many years. I owned a Yaris more than 4 years ago, and it had this same gear system.

I'm not sure anymore if it also had an overdrive switch or if this is actually the overdrive.

Does your fortuner also has an additional overdrive switch ?

Has the OP contacted Toyota about it ?.

Why bother as it was a rental !. Maybe the OP didn't know how to work the Automatic gearbox and only used the "R" as it maybe meant Racing thumbsup.gif

....or "P" as in Power.

I would mark the Auto Box differently. F 1.2.3., and B for Backwards.Its not rocket science,stick it in Forwards and Welly It. Does anyone actualy use the other 2 forward settings.?. Doesnt anyone know if a Euro Diesel is a different design.My O.Q. Transam must know, he seems the only Tec Guy out there.biggrin.png

I can't find the complaint made to a dealer about an Auto Box by someone who wanted to give it back and change it for a manual but couldn't because the model was only made in auto.

He was complaining because he thought ' R ' was for race mode and smashed his car into a car that was behind him. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Edited by Kwasaki

No dig at all Trans I think you will find hasn't got a Champ/Chump. whistling.gif

No dig at all Trans I think you will find hasn't got a Champ/Chump. whistling.gif

smile.png, but the ride l have has perfect tyre pressures. laugh.png

Edited by transam

Why have a go at anyone make, Ive just returned the Rented Civic, and by the way it goes into Top @ 173 precisely, without buggering about with anything, i came back in a Mitsu Triton single cab, now that is Oily Power sorted out, it pissed past Ranger ditherers , but no one likes em here it seems. Why That.?. Normall Ride Height is reassuring ,after the Tuna Roll.I ain't Anti Tunas, just the Short Arse Thai Drivers of Black ones with a Gold Star on the front. Poo Yais they call em. Why do they think Traffic Lights are only for us peasants. Seems Ive got a bit of life going here at last.. God help Triton owners when the Truckie Mob start. Tritons have the most power dont they without tricking the ecu, for 50 Bht.giggle.gif
Obviously you didn't push the civic - the 8th gen 2.0 goes to 220 km/h in top:) Takes a while to get there but...I reckon the 178HP Mitsu is a good buy.

Obviously you didn't push the civic - the 8th gen 2.0 goes to 220 km/h in top:) Takes a while to get there but...I reckon the 178HP Mitsu is a good buy.

It was the top 8 Gen 1.8., Ive never seen a 2.0. here yet. Where i am Mitsu cant service a truck i'm told. Agree Mitsu GT has a better sporting pedigree, but ill chose the Toyo or Honda. The Toyo won on silence but the Honda won on Handling.The black interor of the Toyo was depressing though.1zgarz5.gifrolleyes.gif

Coming back from Chiang Mai a few weeks back my 10 year old Mitsubishi pick-up, with a full load in the back passed a lot of Civics and Mirages and other little cars without any trouble. Diesel engines are great workers when you get them going.

This is not about copy, it simply is an option that exists for many years already.

Of course the Toyota staff didn't know about, as most of the time they don't know at lunch time what they had for breakfast, but it is a function that has been available on many Toyota models for many years. I owned a Yaris more than 4 years ago, and it had this same gear system.

I'm not sure anymore if it also had an overdrive switch or if this is actually the overdrive.

Does your fortuner also has an additional overdrive switch ?

Yes I know it's not a copy but if I hadn't put it that way (joke) some of the plonker's they know who they are would have said it was.

No it doesn't have overdrive switch/set up 4/6 top is low enough around 1,500 rpm at 80kph and it wont go into top until it's doing 80kph I would have liked it to have one and with 4th top selectable at around 60kph, but there you go you cant have everything. Interesting to know about the other model's though thanks for that bit, now other peep's might be educated on Toyota's set up, and even know how to use them correctly but I doubt it.

Edited by fredob43

smile.png, but the ride l have has perfect tyre pressures. laugh.png

Yep !! and the tyre pressure threads are good too. whistling.giflaugh.png

• Like 1