Thai Commerce Ministry Seeks To Trim Rice Price

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's wrong, no body buying the overpriced rotting rice? I thought certain people in government were saying that the world would still be falling over themselves to snap up all the rice at any price simply because its THAI Rice.

Thailand rice number 1.. everyone want to buy Thai rice.

The guys up in my area are still waiting to be paid from the rice mills after handing over their crop, and that was 3 months ago.

Thats because the BAAC is out of money. It is hard to squeeze baht out of rotten rice.

I don't know the details of this but it's the mills that haven't paid the farmers. It's not clear if the mills have been paid but are just holding on to the money and possibly using the BAAC's shortage of funds as an excuse.

I don't think this scheme was ever going to work as it was set up and I don't know if a reduction from 15,000 to 13,000 will help or not. There's still the backlog to clear first. If we assume that it has a chance of succeeding then if the government were to come clean and admit the problem and announce their plans to improve things then I would at least give them credit for that. The trouble is all I can so far is what appears to be a cover up and shifting of responsibility. The PM getting out of the firing line looks bad at the very least. Being in charge means taking responsibility as well as credit.

I know it's sometimes difficult to give exact details of business dealings due to commercial confidentiality but I think it looks more like the government to government deals are just a cover. It would be worth knowing if deals of this kind are more transparent when the price is good. I don't seem to remember the same sort of opaqueness with the tablet deal which as far as I recall a g2g deal as well.

farmers taking part in pledging had to bring their paddy to registered

rice mills, which offered pledging documents to be redeemed for funds

from the BAAC. After the farmers receive the vouchers, they can cash them at the

Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC), which should

take no more than three days. All in all, farmers should receive money

for their pledged paddy within seven days.

A total of 29.65 million tonnes of rice has been entered to the

government stockpiles, with warehousing adding to the cost of the

programme - approximately Bt800 a month per tonne.

Thats a pretty scary number. Not sure how many tons of this rotten "quality" rice they have been warehousing. So lets just assume ,on average, it has been 10 million tons stored over the last 18 months. At present there is 18.2 mil tons stored.

10,000,000x800= 8,000,000,000x18months = 144,000,000,000 This just for rice.There are 14 other crops that have been pledged similarly.

No reports as of yet how much rice has been lost (rotted) to extended storage. But there there has been reports of other pledged crop loss.

Over 10,000 tonnes of rubber in these three provinces was left to decay, causing about one billion baht in damage

The government faces a problem of deteriorating quality of red onions. Bt289 million worth of the pledged crop is rotten.

Some more crop pledging scams schemes:

The price of cassava remains low at Bt1.30-Bt1.90 per kilo, while the pledging price is Bt2.75-2.90

The government needs to raise its pledging budget for garlic to Bt1.6 billion

Other than that it's been a roaring success - thank you Thaksin for what you have done. I really can't understand what all of the fuss is about in letting you come back when you can make people's lives in Thailand so much better with your brilliant policies!!!wai2.gif.

A good move to lower the subsidy on the second crop, it is the one crop farmers who require a good fixed rate per kg, and if the kg price for these farmers remains in place, votes are safe

Yes, the votes are very important to the PTP. They are and will continue to spend hundreds of billions of Baht of tax payer money to keep those votes.

A good move to lower the subsidy on the second crop, it is the one crop farmers who require a good fixed rate per kg, and if the kg price for these farmers remains in place, votes are safe

Well, well, well geo I am glad to see you have finally admitted this is only a vote buying scheme by Pardon Thaksin Party. Good show old boy.

• Like 1

Commerce Ministry Permanent Secretary Vatchari Vimooktayon said...

Farmers should not suffer from lower incomes as most have relieved themselves of debts during the past two years of high prices, she added.

Rut Roh... unsure.png

Seems there's some disagreement with that assessment.

This morning... 3,000 demonstrators from co-ops around Issan have shut down the gateway to Issan AKA Friendship Highway in Korat.

They are blocking the highway to demonstrate against the government with 2 demands.

1. Review the debt repayment moratorium plan

2. Help solve their debt problems

Korat's Chief of Police is negotiating with them to open the highway as traffic has backed up for 10 kilometers.

huh.png

Edited by Buchholz

Well, well, well geo I am glad to see you have finally admitted this is only a vote buying scheme by Pardon Thaksin Party. Good show old boy.

How can it be a vote buying scheme? The intellectual stars of Tvisa make comment the farmers are not seeing any benefit...or has this changed now? Pleased to see you acknowledge there are benefits for farmers, good show old boy....

Edited by 473geo

I think the farmers the esteemed Commerce Ministry Permanent Secretary Vatchari Vimooktayon is referring to are the large land owners or proxy farmers (insert living on foreign soil) who raise tens of thousands of rai of rice each year. Sod the little farmers who have three or four of rai.

How can it be a vote buying scheme? The intellectual stars of Tvisa make comment the farmers are not seeing any benefit...or has this changed now? Pleased to see you acknowledge there are benefits for farmers, good show old boy....

Ok for the benefit of debate please explain your statement "votes are safe". Whos votes and for whom?

• Like 1

I think the farmers the esteemed Commerce Ministry Permanent Secretary Vatchari Vimooktayon is referring to are the large land owners or proxy farmers (insert living on foreign soil) who raise tens of thousands of rai of rice each year. Sod the little farmers who have three or four of rai.

Then surely a sensible approach to lower the second crop subsidy

Edited by 473geo

You and I both know the real reason for this proposal is because the money well is dry to pay for this vote buying scheme.

Finally an admission this ridiculous scam has been exposed and the Thai community at large will be asked to pay yet again through taxation,(after of course the fat cats have stripped their 'commissions') for the complete mismanagement by this manipulated government of Thailand, now verified as the laughing stock of all Asian countries. And now we have the illustrious PM on her knees begging for investors in HK. Am I missing something here or is this a comedy role out?

At a reduction of 1,000 baht a tonne how many years before Thailand starts selling rice on the international market at a profit?

After all the rampant corruption (admitted by PTP Ministers) and all the wasted taxpayer money and the damage to the Thai rice industry as whole.

I would think a more sensible approach would be to abandon this scam crop pledging program altogether. Would you not agree Geo? Of course there would be a few lost votes.

The National Rice Policy Committee will be chaired by Commerce Minister Boonsong Teriyapirom, but normally it would be chaired by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

The real PM is busy, either in HK or S. Korea, or jsut back promoting her candidate Pol. General Pongsapat or preparing for next weeks trip to Sweden and Belgium. Apart from that decisions have to be made and she probably likes to be able to say 'I don't know, no one told me'.

BTW a long time ago (four days is a lifetime for politicians) we had "In spite of this, the Commerce Ministry will continue with its strategy to place more importance on export value more than volume while raising Thai rice prices to match with its superior quality."

Farmers should not suffer from lower incomes as most have relieved themselves of debts during the past two years of high prices, she added.

Rut Roh... unsure.png

This morning... 3,000 demonstrators from co-ops around Issan have shut down the gateway to Issan AKA Friendship Highway in Korat.

They are blocking the highway to demonstrate against the government with 2 demands.

Korat's Chief of Police is negotiating with them to open the highway as traffic has backed up for 10 kilometers.

huh.png

3,000 NE cooperative groups members blocked Friendship Highway,Nakhon Ratchasima;wants govt to review debt repayment moratorium plan,help solve debts /The Nation

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/622385-thailand-live-thursday-28-feb-2013/page-2#entry6157542

Rut Roh... unsure.png

huh.png

3,000 NE cooperative groups members blocked Friendship Highway,Nakhon Ratchasima;wants govt to review debt repayment moratorium plan,help solve debts /The Nation

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/622385-thailand-live-thursday-28-feb-2013/page-2#entry6157542

For those that dont know what this is, like me.

Participants of the debt moratorium for small-scale farmers and

low-income earners must have an outstanding debt of no more than 500,000

baht during a period of 3 years. Under the program, eligible borrowers

can either choose to have their principal payments suspended for three

years, with interest rate reduced by three percent per year or continue

to repay the principal, with interest rate cut by three percent per

year. The debt suspension program runs between 1 September 2012 31

August 2015.

As a confessed beneficiary of this scam, are you saying "I'm all right Jack!"?

Edited by OzMick

"If the pledged price is lowered, it should stimulate growth in rice exports this year and help release rice from stockpiles, as well as promote rice industry growth," Vatchari said.

As our dear member 473geo suggest "if the kg price for these farmers remains in place, votes are safe" I can only assume that the middlemen will kindly absorb the 2000 Baht with which the pledge price may be dropped. Those millers and others are known for their solidarity

img20121011757162.jpg

Director-General of the Internal Trade Department Wiboonluk Ruamluk said this afternoon there is no Commerce Ministry plan to reduce the price pledging paid for rice.

The Director-General said that recent reports on this issue are false and that there is no plan to hold a National Rice Policy Committee meeting to discuss the price issue until mid-March.

Edited by Buchholz

Finally an admission this ridiculous scam has been exposed and the Thai community at large will be asked to pay yet again through taxation,(after of course the fat cats have stripped their 'commissions') for the complete mismanagement by this manipulated government of Thailand, now verified as the laughing stock of all Asian countries. And now we have the illustrious PM on her knees begging for investors in HK. Am I missing something here or is this a comedy role out?

This rice scheme is not good, I think you would go a long way to find someone who disagrees with that. The rest of your post is just complete rubbish, why do you need to go completely overboard?

eeeerr! I am not really sure he has gone 'completely overboard'. Just what bit exactly is 'completely overboard'?

Is Thailand really verified as the laughing stock of all Asian countries? really? just really?????

My entire business is based on International perception and people coming to Thailand, which has been on a continuous slide since the 2010 seizure. Investment (in millions of dollars - not baht) have ceased from people I know, despite media claims the 'astute investors' and dumping funds in Thailand - and if so, why is the PM begging in HK for investment? No - from talking to my Govt contacts in the region,and ASEAN heads, Thailand is definitely the laughing stock amongst the heads of business I deal with. Mainly none I deal with believe this country is safe for investment and there are more billions per head within whom I deal with, than Thaksin will ever make. Of course at the level you are making your assumptions, and the media manipulated reports, the truth will never be known. Thailand is a comedy of errors, continuing and ongoing yet nothing is being done about bringing the management to 'book'. I rest my case and there is no 'rubbish' in this reply to your perceptions.

• Like 2