Chiang Mai Then And Now. 40 Year Jump

WinnieTheKhwai

Amazing, except for the models of vehicles most of it looks almost the same. I bet many of the girls working in the Loi Kroh road bars and massage parlours during those times, are still working in the very same establishments today.

The things we can`t see, is that in those days Chiang Mai was a lot cheaper and much more fun, plus had a lot less farangs and tourists of course.

Why was it more fun? I don't doubt that you had more fun than you typically do today, but to a young person then, and a young person now, why would the young person of 1972 have a better time?

Get where your coming from Winnie, But I'm sure it was more of an adventure in those days, pre internet, lonely planet et all.

Why was it more fun? I don't doubt that you had more fun than you typically do today, but to a young person then, and a young person now, why would the young person of 1972 have a better time?

Get where your coming from Winnie, But I'm sure it was more of an adventure in those days, pre internet, lonely planet et all.

Good question and good answer.

You would had to be around there at the time to answer that question.

I see.. And seeing that you're unable to answer it, you weren't around then? :rolleyes:

Come on, give it a shot. Anonymouse said it may have been more of an adventure, and that may be valid.. Though adventure is also what you perceive yourself, and I wonder if a wide-eyed young person today wouldn't feel pretty adventurous biking around the North. (I'm excluding flashpackers on a 2 week holiday here, but people who show enough of an interest to explore.)

But yes, there's GPS, proper maps, internet and so on. In 1972 there wasn't even Lonely Planet; their first 'Shoestring' book written in 1975. Travelling was definitely tougher, so if the young person of 1972 enjoyed roughing it then he would have a good time. (Likely). Also he would be quite the sight around town, as there were so few foreigners. You still get that in some places, but not often in the town area. Just walking around he may have gotten the 'moviestar' treatment. On the other hand there are just so many more options today to have a good time, no matter what your tastes; people can still rough it on the cheap if they want to, but more sophisticated food, accommodation and nightlife is also available, as well as music, arts, movies in English (remember how hard it was to find a 'Soundtrack' movie), etc.

Overall I think Chiang Mai was pretty good then, and is still pretty good now, and will be pretty good in the future. Possibly in different ways, but there's no place I'd rather be.

I came to Chiangmai several times in the early 70s. What I remember is:

1. It took about 12 hours to drive from Bangkok so you inevitably arrived at dark o'clock. The last part of the trip on the Lamphun-Chiangmai road was harrowing because of all those bloody magic trees on either side of the road keeping the pace down to that of a bicycle. They must have caused deaths on a daily basis.
  2. I don't recall any bars on Loi Kroh. At that age, I was more likely to be found loitering with intent around Kampaeng Din.
  3. I stayed at the Montri several times which was the extent of my budget. There were many unsuccessful attempts to pick up CMU girls in the coffee shop there. I did have some limited success with the singers though. In the mid 70s I was able to elevate my status to the Rincome.
  4. The Pub was the best place in town in the early 70s.
  5. I missed out on the movie star treatment.
  6. Chiangmai became a better place with time (in my opinion) but has become less attractive over the last few years.
  • Like 1

I came to Chiangmai several times in the early 70s. What I remember is:

1. It took about 12 hours to drive from Bangkok so you inevitably arrived at dark o'clock. The last part of the trip on the Lamphun-Chiangmai road was harrowing because of all those bloody magic trees on either side of the road keeping the pace down to that of a bicycle. They must have caused deaths on a daily basis.
  2. I don't recall any bars on Loi Kroh. At that age, I was more likely to be found loitering with intent around Kampaeng Din.
  3. I stayed at the Montri several times which was the extent of my budget. There were many unsuccessful attempts to pick up CMU girls in the coffee shop there. I did have some limited success with the singers though. In the mid 70s I was able to elevate my status to the Rincome.
  4. The Pub was the best place in town in the early 70s.
  5. I missed out on the movie star treatment.
  6. Chiangmai became a better place with time (in my opinion) but has become less attractive over the last few years.

Very interesting! When I arrived in Chiang Mai I think there were two bars on LK, and frequently visited the Montri coffee shop, which used to be a really good place, and good value too. I remember the croissants and honey for 15 baht, and they gave you the whole honey bottle so by the time I loaded them up they were basically honey-bombs. wink.png

On points three and five (girls).. I also did not get very far with uni girls, at the time, other than platonic (but very good) friendships; that may have been more of a mutual disconnect though, because I considered them just a bit too young and innocent really, and not really showing overt interest in a relationship (casual or otherwise). That may just have been a reflection of my own perception and attitude at the time though, possibly a more aggressive attitude would be the thing to do, but I just didn't care enough at the time to pursue that. It's only later that those very same girls I knew then basiclaly jumped my bones, but that was long after they graduated and matured a bit. (I do feel it was worth the wait. smile.png )

It could be that in those days, most students were from the city or immediate region, meaning a lot more social pressure to behave 'properly'. Right now of course there are girls in Chiang Mai from every corner of Thailand (and beyond), well out of sight from what any family might think about how they behave. So that's points for 'now' as opposed to 'then'. And then my background was at Chiang Mai university, probably THE most 'proper' institution at the time, with mostly middle and higher class students living rather sheltered lives. Even today, places like Rachabhat and the colleges could be better hunting grounds for young foreigners looking for more casual relationships.

As for the movie star treatment, even in the early nineties when I was in places that didn't get many foreigners it was very apparent. Places like Lamphun, Phayao and so on. (So working back from that, I would think Chiang Mai in the seventies could be like I found Lamphun in the early nineties). That was both good and bad, good for all the attention, but also there was some pressure to 'entertain'. Being a moviestar gets old sometimes, too, when you just want to go about your ways in public. Ask any moviestar. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Great stuff WTK. Is there a way into the insides of the wall at Thai Pa Gate?

By any chance are you one of the swimmers?biggrin.png

I hadn't really noticed before, but after realising the gate was hollow i looked last time i drove past. on the western side "inside" of the gate there is an insets part on each side of the gate with stairs and door.

http://photos.chiangmaiplaces.com/en/768/2918b-thapae-gate.jpg

(not mine, pulled off the web)

I see.. And seeing that you're unable to answer it, you weren't around then? rolleyes.gif

Come on, give it a shot. Anonymouse said it may have been more of an adventure, and that may be valid.. Though adventure is also what you perceive yourself, and I wonder if a wide-eyed young person today wouldn't feel pretty adventurous biking around the North. (I'm excluding flashpackers on a 2 week holiday here, but people who show enough of an interest to explore.)

But yes, there's GPS, proper maps, internet and so on. In 1972 there wasn't even Lonely Planet; their first 'Shoestring' book written in 1975. Travelling was definitely tougher, so if the young person of 1972 enjoyed roughing it then he would have a good time. (Likely). Also he would be quite the sight around town, as there were so few foreigners. You still get that in some places, but not often in the town area. Just walking around he may have gotten the 'moviestar' treatment. On the other hand there are just so many more options today to have a good time, no matter what your tastes; people can still rough it on the cheap if they want to, but more sophisticated food, accommodation and nightlife is also available, as well as music, arts, movies in English (remember how hard it was to find a 'Soundtrack' movie), etc.

Overall I think Chiang Mai was pretty good then, and is still pretty good now, and will be pretty good in the future. Possibly in different ways, but there's no place I'd rather be.

My parents took me on a horseback trail ride in the Cariboo ranch land of BC when I was a young girl. The country is open meadows with white bark aspen trees that surround the many blue lakes in the district. There were fences everywhere, but I didn't mind. There was still enough open range to ride a horse for a few hours. However, My father told me when he was small you could ride all day and never see a fence. He said you could even ride the horses to an island in the lake, but that is no longer possible because the land is now private. I'm only stating this because we all know things change, but from the viewpoint of new eyes it is still thrilling to be here in Thailand for the first time, just as it was thrilling to ride in the Cariboo when I was a child, even though the range land was fenced.
  • Like 2