A Warning For Others About Importing And Customs Dept.

lipupfatty

They aren't making it up. You can't import motor vehicles without paying the tax on the value they put on it (secondhand value in Thailand) the scheme for returning residents being exempt on motor vehicles was scrapped last year or the year before.

You also need permission to import before you ship the vehicle. I assume this applies to motorbikes as well as cars.

There is thread after thread on this matter on this website. You have no choice but to pay and hope they waiver that you didn't have permission to import the bike if it applies to motorbikes.

Edit: and as you know it wasn't your wifes bike so she couldn't import it anyway if the scheme was still in operation. Hope you don't get a big 'fine' on top.

Wasn't the import of second hand vehicles or cars banned a short time ago because of the big abuse?

No one seems to have a clear understanding of whatever that rule was, but I think it was on secondhand parts being imported and used in newly registered vehicles. To stop what I'm not sure.

The returning Thai citizen being exempt was stopped as far as I know and has been said by others to stop abuse of the rule.

Some years ago, it was possible to bring a vehicle over to Thailand from the UK, providing the vehicle was listed in the name of a Thai person.

How this scheme worked is that the vehicle had to be listed in the name of a Thai person already residing in the UK, then that Thai person would be required to accompany the vehicle over to Thailand. That is, meet the car at the dock after it was shipped over. Once in Thailand the front owner could immediately transfer the vehicle into the name of a purchaser of the vehicle. At the time it was cheaper for a Thai person to buy a Merc or BMW or any other top range vehicle from the UK and pay the travel expenses of the Thai upfront owner, rather than to actually buy the vehicle in Thailand. The buyer got a vehicle cheaper than he/she could buy in Thailand, and the Thai carriers had they’re airfares paid for using their names, bringing and delivering the vehicle.

Many of my wife’s Thai friends used this method as a means of obtaining an all fares paid return trip between the UK and Thailand. Later the Thai authorities caught on to this and so changed the law that the vehicles had to remain in the original Thai persons name for 18 months after it arrived in Thailand until the new purchasers would be allowed to transfer the vehicles into their names. This did cut down the numbers of people buying vehicles using this scheme in Thailand, but it still continued. These days I have lost track of the laws regarding the import of vehicles into Thailand and I guess is no longer as easy as it was during the past.

For any motor vehicle to be imported into Thailand, you require an Import Permit issued before the said vehicle departs from the Port of Lading.

To qualify for an Import Permit your wife must amongst other things: Have owned the vehicle for at least 18 months (V5c in her name), hold a current full driving licence (valid for that vehicle) for at least 18 months and to have lived in that country for at least 18 months since owning that vehicle.

There are other requirements but the above requirements usually prevent an Import Permit being issued. The amount of Import Duty and Customs fees etc are agreed before the Import Permit is issued.

If you do manage to agree a figure with Customs and your container is released the next problem will be registering and subsequently insuring/taxing the bike. If you intend to ride the bike on public roads you will always run the risk of being fined and lots and lots of hassle.

If you can "donate" the bike to the Customs Department and avoid paying too much money, it would be your easiest option.

• Like 1

"I previously shipped some household goods,again a 20ft container about 7 years ago,without any hassle,so why so much over a name on a piece of paper."

Was that shipment also in your wife's name? If I recall correctly, the concession to allow a Thai citizen to repatriate goods duty free extends to one shipment only, in which case Customs would be within their rights to charge duty on the whole lot. It's 3.1/2 years since my wife and I did it, so I may be wrong, but I'm sure there was something to that effect in the regulations.

after 20yrs in the uk.the wf.shipped her collection of household goods,no electric items,nothing big,3cubic mts.in total,but they [agents] said she has to pay[in the end she got away with 12,000bht.] fkg.theives.and what triggers this off farang name on passport.

• Like 1

"I previously shipped some household goods,again a 20ft container about 7 years ago,without any hassle,so why so much over a name on a piece of paper."

Was that shipment also in your wife's name? If I recall correctly, the concession to allow a Thai citizen to repatriate goods duty free extends to one shipment only, in which case Customs would be within their rights to charge duty on the whole lot. It's 3.1/2 years since my wife and I did it, so I may be wrong, but I'm sure there was something to that effect in the regulations.

after 20yrs in the uk.the wf.shipped her collection of household goods,no electric items,nothing big,3cubic mts.in total,but they [agents] said she has to pay[in the end she got away with 12,000bht.] fkg.theives.and what triggers this off farang name on passport.

Funny, I've got an Irish name in my Thai PP. Shipment from the UK got through duty free, as is my right.

For any motor vehicle to be imported into Thailand, you require an Import Permit issued before the said vehicle departs from the Port of Lading.

To qualify for an Import Permit your wife must amongst other things: Have owned the vehicle for at least 18 months (V5c in her name), hold a current full driving licence (valid for that vehicle) for at least 18 months and to have lived in that country for at least 18 months since owning that vehicle.

There are other requirements but the above requirements usually prevent an Import Permit being issued. The amount of Import Duty and Customs fees etc are agreed before the Import Permit is issued.

If you do manage to agree a figure with Customs and your container is released the next problem will be registering and subsequently insuring/taxing the bike. If you intend to ride the bike on public roads you will always run the risk of being fined and lots and lots of hassle.

If you can "donate" the bike to the Customs Department and avoid paying too much money, it would be your easiest option.

Did the OP use a UK-based agent for this shipment? I would have thought that any competent shipping agency or freight forwarder would have been aware of the impracticality or illegality of the OP shipping his owned/registered bike in a sea container to Thailand in his partners name.

I would bite the bullet, arrange for the lot to be sent back and sue the shipping agency for the wasted money.

Funny, I've got an Irish name in my Thai PP. Shipment from the UK got through duty free, as is my right.

Oh Really ?

what the wife's name is paddyclap2.gif

I beg to differ mate. We have less rights here than a motorcyclist in Bangkok traffic. I like cats too, despite the breath...

The motorbike was clearly marked at the top of page 1 on the inventory,so we did'nt try to sneak it in, also the customs officer said my wife was allowed to bring it in,but it had to be in her name,easy to fix with hindsight.

Yes,i tried suggesting it "dissappearing",but they said no can do.

Not wanting to sound like one of those boring old Farang wearing rose tinted glasses and insisting that everything in Thailand is 100% fantastic :

BUT :

The Thai Customs Department is now FAR more corruption free than it was even just 5 years ago (I deal with them on Imports many times a month) - so I do not really think your complaint about a "Mafia" can in any way be supported.

They based their assessment for Import Duty on the facts - the facts being that you tried to Import something into Thailand under the guise that it was your wifes' personal property when the documentation failed to support that claim, the Customs Department detected the (apparent) attempt to avoid Tax and are now charging Duty at whatever the rate should have been had you Imported it under your own name.

Nor is it at all sensible for you to suggest the Customs Department make the item "disappear" or send it back to the originating Country and expect them to allow that with no penalty. Facts again. You tried to Import something under false pretences - not an exact analogy but suppose you imported illegal drugs and were apprehended at the Airport ..... would you expect to be able to say "Wow, this stuff is illegal in Thailand? Really? OK, sorry you can keep it - or I'll send it back home on the next plane, no play no foul. Can I go now?"?

Finally, you should get a formal Government Receipt for both the Import Duty and the associated VAT - if you do not get that then, yes, you can cry foul but I am willing to bet you will get a Receipt for whatever you eventually have to pay.

Patrick

attempting to smuggle drugs and an oversight on paperwork are in slightly different leagues in IMO.

It wasn't an oversight on paperwork. You knew the bike was yours and i don't think in was in the container by accident.

You may want to review the below... I started counting all the things you did wrong but ran out of fingers and toes....

You needed to apply for 2 import permits with 2 government agencies (assuming your bike is under 3,500 kg) before the vessel arrived and your paper work is not correct.

To be honest this is one of the times you should loving the fact that the customs officer is willing to be corrupt... as the alternative is for the goods to sit in the port until you get the required import permits, then you pay the fine and the taxes and the demmurage and the storage charges... demmurage charges are charged by the liner for keeping their container and storage charges are charged by the port for keeping the container in the port.

Also since it looks like you are just coming to Thailand and not having lived here for 1 year and no work permit you wouldn't qualify for the needed import permits and since all the paperwork from overseas is in your name not your wife's, she also would not qualify for any of the import permits.

Customs can not waive storage or demmurage charges. Demmurage charges can sometimes be negotiated with the liner, but have never seen a case where the port authority in Thai Thailand has waived storage charges.

oh yeah and by the way , the customs regulations state that if goods are not cleared from the port within 75 days then goods are subject to seizure by Thai customs.

Also it is against the regulations to do partial clearance of goods, meaning that you must clear all or none... there are some exceptions if moving to Free zone or bonded facilities but this would not apply here as goods requiring an import permit can not be released from port of entry without having the the import permit. Also in order to re-export the regulations state that you must have the needed import permits, so looks like that is not an option (if going by the rules on the books)

So again you should be doing back flips and being glad about the fact that Thai customs are corrupt as if Thai customs were not being corrupt and followed the letter of the law, you would likely face the entire container being seized. And just because the goods got seized, that doesn't mean that the liner and port will leave you alone as they will still want all of the demmurage and storage charges owed to be paid.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+

A Permanent Import of Personal Vehicles

Used / secondhand vehicles need to obtain an import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce, Tel. 02-5474804. For the vehicles with the weight less than 3500 Kgs., the importer needs to obtain an import permit from the Industrial Standard Institute as well.

Warning For the importation of used/secondhand vehicles, an importer needs to obtain an import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce before the arrival of the vehicles; otherwise he/she shall be liable to a fine equal to 10 percent of the price of vehicle but not less than 1,000 Baht, or exceeding 20,000 Baht.

• Criteria for a Permanent Import of Used/Secondhand Vehicles
  • An importer is eligible to import only ONE used/ secondhand vehicles for personal use.
  • In case where the importer is a nonresident, he/she is required to stay in Thailand for at least ONE year and present a non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Bureau, the National Police Office together with a work permit issued by the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare at the time of importation.
  • In case where an importer is a Thai resident marrying a foreigner, he/she is required to present documentary evidence of marriage and proof of changing residence to Thailand. Also the importer has to own and possess the imported vehicle for at least one and a half year while staying abroad, from the date of transferring the ownership to the date of arrival into Thailand.
  • In case where an importer is a Thai resident, he/she is allowed to import a vehicle only when such vehicle is accompanied the owner on the change of residence and he/she has owned and possessed the imported vehicle together with the valid driving license for at least one and a half year while staying abroad.

2. Documents

(1) General Documentation:

• An Import Goods Declaration and 3 duplicates;
  • A Bill of Lading or Air Waybill;
  • Proof of vehicle purchase (if any);
  • A Release Order (Kor Sor Kor 100/1);
  • An insurance premium invoice; and
  • Other relevant documents (if any) e.g. a power of attorney.

(2) Additional Documentation for the used/secondhand personal vehicles:

• A House Certificate and an Identification Card;
  • A passport in case of changing residence;
  • A Vehicle Registration Certificate indicating that the imported vehicle was used abroad;
  • An import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce

3. Import Clearance Procedures

• An importer/agent submits an Import Goods Declaration together with all supporting documents to the Customs office/house at the port of entry;
  • Customs verifies the documents, allocates a Goods Declaration number and calculates liable taxes and duties;
  • An importer/agent pays liable taxes and duties at a Cashier Office; and
  • An importer/agent presents the receipt issued by the Cashier Office to a Customs Inspection Office to bring the imported vehicles from Customs custody.

Tax and Duty Assessment: The Customs value of the imported vehicles is determined on the basis of the CIF value (Cost & Insurance & Freight).
  • Customs Value
  • Purchase prices of new vehicles imported or exported by an authorized person
  • If the purchase price in 4.1.1 is not available, the price listed in the Parkers Car Price Guide and Japanese Car with 25% discount may be applied as the FOB value.
  • Costs of any modification or improvement of parts or accessories done on the vehicle are also be taken into account.
  • In case where the vehicle is damaged by any incidents other than normal use e.g car accidents, fire, etc. the price of the vehicle is discounted as appropriate.
  • The Customs value for used/secondhand vehicles is discounted according to the registration period as shown in the given table below:

Discount Rates for Used / Secondhand Vehicles

The chart did not come out when copying into TV... check the website

-

-

According to a condition of vehicle

• Insurance Cost
  • In case where the cost of insurance is paid before the arrival of a vehicle, the actual cost of insurance is applied.
  • In case where the cost of insurance in 4.2.1 is not available, the cost of insurance is calculated at 1% of the FOB value.
  • Transport Cost
  • In case where the latest transport cost of an authorized dealer is available, such cost is applied.
  • In case where the transport cost in 4.3.1 is not available, the highest transport cost of the same make and model vehicle imported within 6 preceding months is applied. If there is no such transport cost, Customs will consider each case individually.
  • In case where the transport costs in 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 are not available, the highest transport cost of the different model vehicle imported within 6 preceding months is applied, taking into consideration the weight, specification, and country of origin. If there is no such transport cost, Customs will consider each case individually.
  • In case where the declared transport cost is higher than those in 4.3.2 and 4.3.3, the higher cost is applied.
  • In case of the importation by air, the actual transport cost is applied. If the actual transport cost is not available, the transport cost from the airline company is applied.
  • In case where the transport costs mentioned above are not available, the transport cost is calculated at 10% of FOB value
  • Table of Tax and Duty Rates
  • The chart did not come out when copying into TV... check the website

Remarks

• The total taxes and duties of a motor vehicle and motorcycle = Customs duty + excise tax + interior tax + 7% of VAT
  • The total taxes and duties of electric motorcycle and electric bicycle = Customs duty + 7% of VAT
  • The importation of used/secondhand motor vehicles and motorcycle requires an import permit from the Foreign Trade Department prior to the importation. For more information, please contact ( 02-547-4804.
  • No decisions on payment of Customs duties and taxes can be made on the vehicle until the vehicle arrives at the port of clearance and all relevant information is given to the Thai Customs Department.
Edited by CWMcMurray

^^^ excellent post McMurray.

I have so had it with people shouting 'scam', 'corruption', 'rip off', every time someone himself doesn't know the laws and rules, and is thus subsequently forced to pay additional fees. Laws which by the way are very similar in most countries. Nothing unique about Thailand's customs laws and processes.

with my wf's case it was not a customs issue it was the agent that held her goods to ransom.

i wonder how many others have been told a pack of lies by the shipping agent this end,

my wf.was told they had to use another agent as they had no authority to enter into the docks,

co they told my wf.was part of the same,just a diff.name.

"I previously shipped some household goods,again a 20ft container about 7 years ago,without any hassle,so why so much over a name on a piece of paper." Was that shipment also in your wife's name? If I recall correctly, the concession to allow a Thai citizen to repatriate goods duty free extends to one shipment only, in which case Customs would be within their rights to charge duty on the whole lot. It's 3.1/2 years since my wife and I did it, so I may be wrong, but I'm sure there was something to that effect in the regulations.

what the wife's name is paddy:clap2:

My name, my Thai passport, meathead.

Hello all,

First post,so be gentle.

A little bit of background first,have been married to a thai lady for more than 10 years,and have been coming here for about 13 years.

The past 5 years or so have been spending more and more time here,so have decided to make the move more permenant.

Shipped our 20ft container from the UK,to Bangkok,which arrived on the 25th of this month.

Unfortunatly because i have a second hand motorbike inside,which i used as a commuter in London,(honda cbr 250r-made in thailand),the customs are trying to get me to pay(extort) around the 200,000 baht mark to release my container,or they won't let me have it.

My wife qualifies under the returning resident scheme,because she has been out of the country for more than 12 months,so she should'nt have to pay any tax on the household goods,but because the bike is in my name,they say she now does not qualify for this.

They just make it up as they go along,i mean the bike you can buy here new for just over 100000 baht with all the correct paperwork,so i'm taking a massive hit because my name is on the logbook(v5),and not her's,it just seems stupid.

I previously shipped some household goods,again a 20ft container about 7 years ago,without any hassle,so why so much over a name on a piece of paper.

I even offered to drag the bike out of the container and said they could have it,but that was not good enough,still must pay.

So this is a warning to others,be very careful when you deal with this mafia.

Tomorrow customs will call my wife again and give a final settlement figure.........i can't wait.

I know why customs do this to people,it's because they can,they don't have anyone to answer to.

It's a shame that i don't know anybody in high society to fight my corner.

Sure sucks.

Not being funny but why an earth did you try to bring a motor bike over here that sells for half the price here to what you paid for it in the uk,there are strict rules for importing motorbikes with high import taxes to pay,you could have sold the bike in the uk and bought a brand new one here and would have still had change left from the sale in the uk.

Hope it all works out for you, but even if you get the bike here you are going to have no end of headaches trying to get it registered and plated

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

I imported about 18 years ago a 20 ft container with personal household goods.

I did this via a well known moving company which has offices in my home country and in Thailand.

After a few weeks i received a phone call from the agency in Bangkok that my container had arrived and if not import documents where required i could have the container for 500 baht "import" fee.

Needless to day that i agreed to receive the container with import papers as their where only normal household goods inside. smile.png

meathead to thickhead irish name in a thai passport now thats confusing,beeeeeeeeeee jesus.

Not really difficult... Both my son and my daughter have an Irish sounding last name in their Thai passports...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

meathead to thickhead irish name in a thai passport now thats confusing,beeeeeeeeeee jesus.

Quite obviously alot of things are beyond your grasp. Best you continue to swim in the shallow end of the pool.

Quite obviously alot of things are beyond your grasp. Best you continue to swim in the shallow end of the pool.

Deep end may be more permanent.

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen this while looking for something else so haven't got time to look at the rest of the posts just now. I'm pretty sure that having your name on the V5 doesn't mean you own it but just states you are the registered keeper. When my first wife was alive and was disabled we had a vehicle through the Motability Scheme which I'm sure meant they owned it but my wife's name was down as the registered keeper. Best of luck explaining that though. Best of luck.