Heads-Up

jbrain

Can you please give an approximate location of this outlet without contravening the name and shame rules of the forum??

Under these circumstances, serious, if not fatal health issues, I personally agree with naming the establishment(s) concerned!!! If photographic, or other evidence, can be produced!

If it saves someone's life, then I personally believe the rule book is out of the window, but TiT, we could be infringing on the (ridiculous) libel laws that could save someone's life!!!

We did a big shopping there some 4 days ago and none of us got sick so far but thanks for the heads up.

The completely defrosted row of freezers happened yesterday and today. By the way I noticed today a foreigner loading 3 or 4 pizzas in his trolley.

Can't imagine he didn't notice anything as they were warm, bending when you lifted them out of the freezer comaprtiment and the boxes completely falling apart.

I also bought the unfreezing pizza because they are the best around for 100 Thb (they are French Pizza right ?)

I also know the usual story taught in the west about re-freezing unfrozen food.

I guess that the risk of being sick is the same as dying because of electricity shock (I know that some people die because of this), so maybe I am stupid but I just don't care because the risk is low. If bacteria should have killed me it would be done already with all the shxt street food that I hate in my life.

I think we are taking a lot more risk by just living here (even though I don't ride motorcycle), so no need to make a big story for "just" unfrozen food.

Thai have 0% knowledge about what to do or not with frozen food, nothing surprising.

So yes I agree with you it is very bad for a foreign owned supermarket not to care about this, but still, hey, we are living in Thailand !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_storage

• Like 1

We did a big shopping there some 4 days ago and none of us got sick so far but thanks for the heads up.

The completely defrosted row of freezers happened yesterday and today. By the way I noticed today a foreigner loading 3 or 4 pizzas in his trolley.

Can't imagine he didn't notice anything as they were warm, bending when you lifted them out of the freezer comaprtiment and the boxes completely falling apart.

Maybe he is used to eat warm pizza? rolleyes.gif

I also bought the unfreezing pizza because they are the best around for 100 Thb (they are French Pizza right ?)

I guess that the risk of being sick is the same as dying because of electricity shock (I know that some people die because of this), so maybe I am stupid but I just don't care because the risk is low. If bacteria should have killed me it would be done already with all the shxt street food that I hate in my life.

I think we are taking a lot more risk by just living here (even though I don't ride motorcycle), so no need to make a big story for "just" unfrozen food.

Thai have 0% knowledge about what to do or not with frozen food, nothing surprising.

So yes I agree with you it is very bad for a foreign owned supermarket not to care about this, but still, hey, we are living in Thailand !

Young children and old people might not be as lucky as you some people have more delicate stomachs than others.

I have a hard time to believe you. Do you think the producers of frozen food put the warning not to refreeze again because it's just a fairy tale ?

On the packaging are also storage instructions written, which say you can keep maximum 24 hours in a refrigarator and 3 days in the internal freezer compartiment of a fridge.

Now keep in mind that these goods are by now stored 3 days at ROOM temperature. How do you think that will turn out if someone was to eat it today ?

Just an update.

Went to the mentioned shop again this evening, and some of the compartiments looked to be repaired as they had frozen goods inside.

Big part of the department however was still blowing hot air.

The pizza and other pasta products were still flexible when you lifted them out of the freezer heater.

These products have a warning that they should be kept maximum 24 hours at refrigerator temperatures, while they are now at least 72 hours at room temperature already.

Guess they will give a nice smell once the plastic foil is removed.

I have a hard time to believe you. Do you think the producers of frozen food put the warning not to refreeze again because it's just a fairy tale ?

On the packaging are also storage instructions written, which say you can keep maximum 24 hours in a refrigarator and 3 days in the internal freezer compartiment of a fridge.

Now keep in mind that these goods are by now stored 3 days at ROOM temperature. How do you think that will turn out if someone was to eat it today ?

Do you also believe and respect the expiration dates written on any product by the cheaters ?

I dont and can eat yoghurts 1 month after the limit date because this date is for the stupid who can believe anything that is told. This date is just set for marketing and to sell more. Only the look and texture of the food sometimes change when expired, that's all.

With all the preservative and other shxt that they put in all this industrial food I am sure that the pizza would still be good 1 month later ! :-)

And anyway what is the risk for people eating unfrozen food ? Liquid poop ? Really worth talking about it ?

• Like 1

Do you also believe and respect the expiration dates written on any product by the cheaters ?

I dont and can eat yoghurts 1 month after the limit date because this date is for the stupid who can believe anything that is told. This date is just set for marketing and to sell more. Only the look and texture of the food sometimes change when expired, that's all.

With all the preservative and other shxt that they put in all this industrial food I am sure that the pizza would still be good 1 month later ! :-)

And anyway what is the risk for people eating unfrozen food ? Liquid poop ? Really worth talking about it ?

The law on expiry dates in Europe, and that is where these pizzas come from, is that the goods have to stay edible for a certain amount of time AFTER the printed expiry date. This is a built in safety. As you mention yoghurt I was once told that the built in safety was 3 weeks after expiry date.

Now for frozen pizza and alike the expiry date is for goods that stay frozen all the time.

Pizza or lasagne has ham, fish or some other meat as an ingredient.

Would you eat fish,chicken or any other meat that has been laying around unrefrigerated for a full 3 days?

Ever heard about salmonella or E.coli ?

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

Just got informed that the foreign butcher at mentioned shop has left the building as of today.I knew about this for some time already, but today was his last working day.

His reasoning for quiting his job was that he couldn't produce any decent food anymore with the resources he had available for the past few months.

I have such a feeling that the next departure will be of the foreign baker.

Is he still there?havent seen him since few months.

He's still there but same issues as the butcher. No resources to produce a decent product.

Just an update.

Went to the mentioned shop again this evening, and some of the compartiments looked to be repaired as they had frozen goods inside.

The pizza and other pasta products were still flexible when you lifted them out of the freezer heater.

These products have a warning that they should be kept maximum 24 hours at refrigerator temperatures, while they are now at least 72 hours at room temperature already.

Why would it be a problem to name the supermarket where the freezers have gone kaput? It's a fact isn't it?

Of course,you can't make any accusations that they will sell the food without solid proof, but if you had the proof why couldn't you mention that too. Libel is about making false accusations, not stating the truth. We've had plenty of threads about the plusses and minuses of just about every supermarket in Pattaya.

Just an update.

Why would it be a problem to name the supermarket where the freezers have gone kaput? It's a fact isn't it?

Of course,you can't make any accusations that they will sell the food without solid proof, but if you had the proof why couldn't you mention that too. Libel is about making false accusations, not stating the truth. We've had plenty of threads about the plusses and minuses of just about every supermarket in Pattaya.

I have been informed that wharever you post that make a business lose any sales, it can be considered slander, regardless of the fact that your information is correct.

Since I posted this as a warning to be read by as much people concerned as possible, I have no interests in having the thread closed because maybe one moderator might consider it damaging.

I think most members know which supermarket it concerns, and those who don't are free to PM me, and yes they are still selling the contaminated products.

They are easy recognizable from the damaged boxes.

He's still there but same issues as the butcher. No resources to produce a decent product.

I dunno, I find the fresh baked bread products at this big supermarket to be quite good and the variety is amazing for pattaya. So the baker must be getting some decent resources...and by the endmofmthe day most of the stuff is sold out so it must be profitable as well.

As for the meats, at least for the stuff I have bought there, raw chicken and pork, it's been as good or better than the cuts at the land of food market just up the block. I also like the selection of French cheeses and desserts, aw well as their fruit selection. Imhopw the continue on as is and are making a go with their current mix of products as they make a nice contribution to thenfaranf shopping scene in Pattaya.

I would imagine frozen pizzas being unfrozen then refrozen would represent a significant health risk given the primary ingredients of many pizzas are organ meats and cheese. You could get some nasty food poisoning if these go off.

Of course even fresh pizzas are a health hazard with the high fat, oil, and organ meats they contain. smile.png

I would imagine frozen pizzas being unfrozen then refrozen would represent a significant health risk given the primary ingredients of many pizzas are organ meats and cheese. You could get some nasty food poisoning if these go off.

Of course even fresh pizzas are a health hazard with the high fat, oil, and organ meats they contain. smile.png

You forgot the viande de cheval...especially if it's a frozen pizza from this store's house brand home country!

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I dunno, I find the fresh baked bread products at this big supermarket to be quite good and the variety is amazing for pattaya. So the baker must be getting some decent resources...and by the endmofmthe day most of the stuff is sold out so it must be profitable as well.

As for the meats, at least for the stuff I have bought there, raw chicken and pork, it's been as good or better than the cuts at the land of food market just up the block. I also like the selection of French cheeses and desserts, aw well as their fruit selection. Imhopw the continue on as is and are making a go with their current mix of products as they make a nice contribution to thenfaranf shopping scene in Pattaya.

I can't say the bakery products are bad, but take a look at their promotions.They often discount several kinds of cake, but the only reason for that is that the promoted product is a lower quality as standard. Bread is sometimes sold out for days in a row, especially the whole wheat products, but if you start the day with an empty shelf it is of course also empty at the end of the day. If the distributor doesn't deliver whole wheat, because his previous delivery isn't cleared yet, then you can't bake bread.

As for the meats, I'm sure you must be joking if you compare the quality with the other shop higher up the road.

And it is indeed their foreign products are a nice contribution to the farang shopping scene.............that is if they have stock because lots of empty shelves where foreign products used to be stored these days, and the oil , fish sauce and noodle soup shelves grow bigger by the day.

So this is all new. We can no longer name a supermarket? What of all the Foodland, Big C Extra, Villa, Foodmart, Tesco, Macro and Friendship store threads over the years complaining about just about everything in those stores?

There's no point making threads about businesses in Pattaya if we cannot complain about things. It makes the threads rather pointless to the majority of readers.

Foodmart and Villa have suffered the most from extensive bashing on this forum, yet the threads remain. Villa was even a sponsor on this forum while negative threads were up and running. Big C Extra got a huge dose of negative publicity on this forum when they first took over from Carrefour.

Am I the only one who finds this quite ridiculous. PM the OP for the name of the store???

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I can't say the bakery products are bad, but take a look at their promotions.They often discount several kinds of cake, but the only reason for that is that the promoted product is a lower quality as standard. Bread is sometimes sold out for days in a row, especially the whole wheat products, but if you start the day with an empty shelf it is of course also empty at the end of the day. If the distributor doesn't deliver whole wheat, because his previous delivery isn't cleared yet, then you can't bake bread.

As for the meats, I'm sure you must be joking if you compare the quality with the other shop higher up the road.

And it is indeed their foreign products are a nice contribution to the farang shopping scene.............that is if they have stock because lots of empty shelves where foreign products used to be stored these days, and the oil , fish sauce and noodle soup shelves grow bigger by the day.

I am certainly not joking...if you ignore the bulk meats piled out in the open and look at the packaged raw meats andmthemsemi-prepared cuts ready for cooking, you will find some very good stuff. Also, they have a separate small freezer offering premium cuts of meat that looks good too though I have yet to try any of them. I forgot to mention thatmtheirmseafood selection is also more extensive and ofmthensame or better quality than the market up the street.

As for their homemade baked breads, I stand by my statement and just about every time I'm there, fresh warm breads are being brought out of the kitchen...warm baguettes...yummy!

You really call baker someone who just take frozen pastry from the fridge and put it in oven ?

I know that it is difficult for Thai and they need a foreigner to do this, but he is not a baker, even if he is French !

Guess what, Today they put the frozen pizzas and frozen french tarte's on promotion. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You think they want to get quickly rid of them for some reason biggrin.png

Were they frozen or defrosted?

Guess what, Today they put the frozen pizzas and frozen french tarte's on promotion. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Currently frozen since the problem seems to be solved for the time being, but remember that the freezers were defrosted for at least 3 days in a row.

Currently frozen since the problem seems to be solved for the time being, but remember that the freezers were defrosted for at least 3 days in a row.

They sell near expiry dairy products in bins at room temperature. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to sell defrosted frozen food.