Cheaper Thai Food Ethics When Served Dreck

Jingthing

There is a food court place I go to often for Pak Bung* Fai Daeng (ผักบุ้งไฟแดง).

Anyway, it is usually very good, but occasionally not so good, but yesterday it was awful.

The cooking skill and spice flavor is pretty consistent but I am judging quality by the freshness of the vegetable.

The awful dish had clearly started with a very inferior product. Basically clearly not fresh and kind of sickly looking.

This is at a food court where you must pay in advance so I had already paid. So I accepted the poor product thinking, oh well, must be a bad season for this vegetable or something.

Now IF I hadn't paid already, this dish looked so bad I think I would have asked them if they could do better.

Anyway, later passing by the stall, I say the same dish ready to go, looking perfect!

Thus, this thread.

Would you, do you, ever refuse to accept really bad products from cheaper price Thai places?

Some of you might not even think this place was that cheap, the cost was 60 baht.

Given I am a regular at the place in question, I think the next time that happens, I will probably ask them to do better even though already paid. But I expect the response will be, you paid, the dish is normal, forget it.

Edited by Jingthing

Not saying this is the ultimate solution to your problem, but in the circumstances you describe I would say, "Excuse me. You know I've come here many times already for pak boong, but I can't enjoy this today. These vegetables don't taste good; maybe they're a bit old. So, may I have a new plate please?" or words to that effect. Let's hear what happens next time...

post-72929-0-99307800-1362122967_thumb.j

Edited by Michaelaway

Perhaps, but this is a place that relies on an endless stream of one off tourist business so I really doubt that the low paid workers really care if they lose a regular or not, or whether a regular is happy with the food, or not. Perhaps the owners would be but I doubt that as well, and they aren't on the front lines (or there at all). Also they probably won't lose me no matter what unless the food was ALWAYS bad.

I am also assuming that they are under orders to cook up and sell ALL the sourced products they get, fresh or not and that is typical of cheaper Thai places. This place I don't think would sell ROTTEN meat, but in the case of vegetables well past their shelf life, I think no problem.

Edited by Jingthing

If you want good "Pak Bung Fai Daeng" my wife will cook it for you in her small stand in the local village. However it is about 360 kilometers from Pattaya and I'm sure that the bus service is unacceptable and I know that you do not drive. I would volunteer to pick you up but would fear tah\\hat I would succumb to the den of eniquity there and never return. All jokes aside, I buy Pak Bung everyday and it must be fresh to be good. I know shopping for the wife's restaurabt is working, where is the work permit patrol? The offer still stands.

When I drive to Pattaya we take food at a place on Second Road round cnr from Soi 13. It serve good Pak Boong food. Thai family have owned business for over 20 yrs and owners sit in shop to supervise cooks, waiters..... Name of place is 'Pakboongloyfa'. Hope u enjoy it.

When I drive to Pattaya we take food at a place on Second Road round cnr from Soi 13. It serve good Pak Boong food. Thai family have owned business for over 20 yrs and owners sit in shop to supervise cooks, waiters..... Name of place is 'Pakboongloyfa'. Hope u enjoy it.

It's very famous. It's OK, but I stopped eating there years ago. They also play a game with wet towels, they give them without asking even when it's cold out, and even if you refuse them, they're still on the bill. Also they put what looks like margarine (yuck) in their Tom Ka Gai.

Edited by Jingthing