Danish Tourists Charged With Sexual Assault In Thailand Released On Bail

webfact

Danish tourists charged with sexual assault in Thailand released on bail
BY ANDERS HOLM NIELSEN

CHIANG MAI: -- The two Danish men who were arrested in Chiang Mai, charged of raping a 23-year-old Dutch tourist have now been released.

Yesterday, February 28, the court decided to release the young Danes on bail until March 12, where they will have to appear in court. It is unknown whether the accused are still in Chiang Mai but their passports have been seized to prevent them from leaving the country.

The police arrested the two Danes while they were floating on a raft in the stream to see the scenery in Mawang, Chiang Mai. The men were arrested and taken to the police station, where they denied the accusations. The suspects refused to answer any questions or make any statements to police.

The incident was first reported to police on February 25 by the 23-year-old victim, a Dutch tourist, who came to the police station that morning at 8 a.m., said Pol. Lt. Col. Saipin Tijjarat, the detective officer of Muang Chiang Mai provincial police.

The victim said she had come to visit Chiang Mai alone for several days. On the night of February 24, she went to a bar, and while she was drinking there, at about 11 p.m. she met a Danish man, and began talking to him. Later they both went to his room 302 on the 3rd floor, in Chiang Mai city.

When they reached his room, his two Danish friends were already there. Then the three men subdued and raped her, until each man had reached orgasm, without her consent. She could not fight against the three men, and then she passed out. When she woke up in the morning, the three men had gone. So she went out to notify to the police and also inform the embassy.

Pol. Col. Aksorn said there are three suspects in the rape case, and they know the identity of the third suspect. The police are now waiting for evidence to file a request to the court for a warrant.

Source: http://scandasia.com/danish-tourists-charged-with-rape-in-thailand-released-on-bail/

-- ScandAsia 2013-03-02

RELATED:
Dutch tourist in Chiang Mai reports forcible sexual assault from 2 Caucasian men

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very bad idea indeed to make no statement, can't see this panning out well for the pair. No such luxury as the fith ammendment or the right to silence here, silence pretty much means guilt here, although they probably won't know this and may not in their case.

• Like 1

"they denied the accusations. The suspects refused to answer any questions or make any statements to police".

Doesn't go down well in Thailand, I believe you are suppose to make full admissions and sign pre prepared statements written in Thai.

The courts won't be happy with them trying to test the system and could be looking at a long stretch.

Hat's off to them very brave guys.

They could always " disappear ' and in 6 months there will be another headline that Thai and Danish police arrange more co-operation. Cynicism rules OK or KO if you are dyslectic

• Like 2

Making no statement is the right thing to do. They should be demanding to make a call to their embassy and to ask for an attorney.

This adds to a point made by OzMick recently about the police fining a university lecturer B500 for assault, the " justice system " or lack thereof in Thailand seems to operate on a whim and is totally arbitrary. I was breathalyzed 5 times after a road accident, i had not been drinking, but they could not conceive a farang could be sober. . I was peeing myself laughing but not as much as the lovely interpreters from the Tourist Police and YES we went for a beer as soon as i was thrown out.

"they denied the accusations. The suspects refused to answer any questions or make any statements to police".

Doesn't go down well in Thailand, I believe you are suppose to make full admissions and sign pre prepared statements written in Thai.

The courts won't be happy with them trying to test the system and could be looking at a long stretch.

>"they denied the accusations. The suspects refused to answer any questions or make any statements to police".

If the reports are correct and they raped this woman are they still brave. Not speaking doesn't make you innocent are brave

I think that this post was meant to be cynical............well I hope!

Making no statement is the right thing to do. They should be demanding to make a call to their embassy and to ask for an attorney.

Been in the cop shop here and all that will do is annoy the hell out of them and keep you waiting for ever. Really wouldn't suggest adopting this approach in Thailand. Be polite and state the facts either way or its gonna be a long hard road you travel down.

Met an English lad who had adopted the approach you suggested over a tiny bit of weed he had in his pocket, he got held for 5 days getting regular kickings until the copper who was dealing with my case asked me to explain to him that if he just admitted to it (which he had no choice anyhow as it was his and in his pocket) he could be bailed, go to court, get a fine and p1ss off back to farangland. I explained, he was out and in a matter of hours, in court the following monday and back to farangland soon after.

Moral of the story don't get caught, but if you do the rules are worlds apart from the west so play the game and don't be a mug.

Edited by JeremyBowskill
  • Like 1

Dutch woman, travelling alone. Goes to a bar alone, gets drunk. Goes up to a guy's room who she's just met.

Bright bulb, indeed.

Yeah...totally had it coming, right?!

Well deserved to be raped!

Travelling alone, going to bar alone, getting drunk, having sex with a guy...who does she think she is, expecting not to gang- raped by some manly men, travelling in smaller groups...

What a sad and stupid comment!

Was just a matter of time before some stupid PC-brainwashed twit like you came along. There's one in every bunch.

Keep it up, that way more women can act thoughtlessly, have no responsibility for putting themselves in the situation & get raped and then people like you will lavish them with all the "what a shame"

Had a bad experience with a former wife my friend?

Not your friend, D.A.

I'm sick because I call the girl stupid?

Dutch woman, travelling alone. Goes to a bar alone, gets drunk. Goes up to a guy's room who she's just met.

Bright bulb, indeed.

Yeah...totally had it coming, right?!

Well deserved to be raped!

Travelling alone, going to bar alone, getting drunk, having sex with a guy...who does she think she is, expecting not to gang- raped by some manly men, travelling in smaller groups...

What a sad and stupid comment!

Was just a matter of time before some stupid PC-brainwashed twit like you came along. There's one in every bunch.

Keep up those sentiments, "Doc".... that way more women can act thoughtlessly, have no responsibility for putting themselves in sketchy situations & get raped and then people like you will lavish them with all the "what a shame"

Let's see ...you don't think getting raped was enough punishment, and maybe she is enjoying all the "what a shame" statements, a bit too much?

• Like 1

Quotes got me again.

Not your friend, D.A.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm me. If you don't want to be my friend then that's your choice my friend.

Maybe this lady did not use her best judgement but that in no way puts any responsibility on her for being raped. If a woman gets drunk, takes her clothes off and lies down in the street at midnight this does not justify anyone raping her. Nothing justifies rape.

Yeah so we're in agreement? She didn't use her best - or ANY - judgement. She's responsible for putting herself in the situation.

If I walk down the street in Compton at night with a $100-bill taped on my back pointing this fact out using as much volume as I can, do I deserve to get it taken off me?

I said she's dumb for what she did, and she is, and that's all. Essentially the same thing you said in your 2nd sentence. But you and the other dork are free to continue to put more words in my mouth... because you can.

Quotes got me again.

Not your friend, D.A.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm me. If you don't want to be my friend then that's your choice my friend.

Maybe this lady did not use her best judgement but that in no way puts any responsibility on her for being raped. If a woman gets drunk, takes her clothes off and lies down in the street at midnight this does not justify anyone raping her. Nothing justifies rape.

Yeah so we're in agreement? She didn't use her best - or ANY - judgement. She's responsible for putting herself in the situation.

If I walk down the street in Compton at night with a $100-bill taped on my back pointing this fact out using as much volume as I can, do I deserve to get it taken off me?

I said she's dumb for what she did, and she is, and that's all. Essentially the same thing you said in your 2nd sentence. But you and the other dork are free to continue to put more words in my mouth... because you can.

As Ronald Reagan used to say "there you go again". Calling people names is not the best way to disagree with someone but I suppose you think it is my friend. So be it. She didn't use her best judement i agree. But she certainlly did not deserved to be raped.

• Like 1

Quotes got me again.

Not your friend, D.A.

Maybe I am funny again, but...no, I think no one has the right (or however you may call that) to take the monet from you.

You may be an idiot (which seems quiet obvious by now) ...but it is still theft!

Get the point, mate?

• Like 2