Massage Injury....

tideout

I wish I were kidding but unfortunately, I'm not.

I went out for a minor back massage and in the middle of it the woman who was a bit portly compared to some Thai women was compressing on my back with her foot. I heard or felt (still not sure) something snap or pop and felt pain in my right rib area. It all happened quickly and in the course of it I rolled over immediately and the woman fell against the wall next to me. In short, drew some real attention. She wasn't hurt.

About 24 hours later, I have complete mobility in my arm but definite pain on what's probably the lowest rib on my right side. A bit of swelling there but no weird jutting bone etc...I can move but it feels tender.

It looks like barring other symptoms, rest is what's mostly recommended. I go to LAOS on Monday AM for a a visa run otherwise I'd probably go get an x-ray.

I'm curious if there's any reason to report this to say someone at a tourism office? Probably a waste of time but it kind of pisses me off that untrained people are probably working in some of these place (Khaosan). I just wondered if anyone has heard of similar stories/injuries w/ regard to the massage joints or if anyone tracks such a thing...again, probably not. I think this was my last back massage here.

Thanks for listening....venting a bit while sore.

Regards,

tideout

Sounds like you cracked a rib. Not much you can do about it except tell the owner or manager what the Doctors tell you. Make a copy of the diagnosis and show them. They don't have the same protects as you would have in your own country. Don't go back again.

Thanks for the responses. I am feeling less pain today.

Yeah, that particular place is definitely on my no-go list. About a year and a half ago I was in Chang Mai, also more or less in the tourist zone. Had a strained rib cage but thought it was a fluke - just a bad apple so to speak. I did have a swollen toe once from one of the "snap" things and one of the worst was when a "therapist" in Chang Mail slapped both of my ears simultaneously. Where the f*** did they learn that "technique" - Pol Pot school of massage in Cambodia?

I have to say the more consistent massages were in a regular neighborhood where I lived for a bit - well outside of any tourist areas.

I think my massage days are narrowing quickly unless I find a consistent person whose primary training was the shop shirt fit them......

I was pleasantly surprised that hospitals and doctors keep fairly normal hours on weekends. No need to pay extra at the emergency ward or wait to Monday if you need an x-ray (as far as I know).

In fact I was at my cardiac doc's office this morning (Sunday) for a routine appointment at Bumrungrad.

Edited by impulse