Kimchi In Chiang Mai

scotinsiam

I have been searching in vain for Kimchi in the supermarkets around town, I used too get it in Brunei in large jars but can't seem to come across it here. Has any one seen it in the stores?

thanks in advance

S

also the various markets like Tanin, Sompet, Muang Mai etc have fermented vegetables for sale. It's usually presented in open tubs.

Definitely the health food stores like Ban Suan Pak and Aden sell Kimchi and they might have healthier ingredients and properties.

darn easy to make at home also.

PM me if you want home made kimchii info..the lady has a nice little operation with a couple workers and makes it from her house in Hang Dong at World Club Land. She has a menu of all the different varieties sold, though I haven't seen the menu as I know what I want on the top of my head). Her price is reasonable at 100 baht per kilo which is also the minimum per a variety. I normally buy 2 kilos at a time that last me about 2 weeks but I'm Korean and we eat it pretty often.

About 90% of her buyers are korean so if the authentic taste is of your likings then she would be the one to go to.

She also sells Korean mandoo "wonton" that needs to be boiled or fried as its freshly made. Also Kimbap = Korean vegetable beef sushi

We koreans like hers as opposed to supermarket varieties cause she doesn't use MSG or artificial seasoning unless you like that sort of stuff and some of us do, then she is the one to go to.

Edited by tangcoral
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I am definitely going to try to purchase from the Kimchi lady mentioned above, I am not Korean but work with them and also live in Korean accommodation at work, I am sure I am addicted to it and eat it daily!

Rimping at Nim (across from Airport Central has a few different brands and types in the reefr at the left rear just prior to the fish dept. Not being able to read the label the 1st one I bought was quite bland. The 2nd time there was a Korean lady also shopping and pointed out the spicy one, 400gms in a plastic jar for 59bt. The only thing I can read on the label other than 400g is the word "spicy." Although I haven't had the homemade type in San Francisco for 1-1/2 years, this one is quite good.

The Tops supermarket @ Huay Kwey Central has fresh Kim chi flown in from Korea every Wednesday and Friday

It is in a distinct green and white packaging and this is the fav brand in Korea for those who do not want to make their own

I believe they bring in only certain types of the most popular ones..u have to be early as the korean housewives all descend and buy them up by the afternoon most are gone.

I personally don't eat it but was dating a Korean lady some time back and I had to pay a facilitation fee to the sales asst in charge of that section to keep some for me as that is the only one brand she eats !

I keep them in 3 lock and lock air tight containers and still the smell permeates in the fridge :-)

This is one item you will not see me reviewing anytime soon :-) but for those who love eating them enjoy !

This is terrific! Beats hell out of chewing endlessly on hamburgers and gulping down

The Tops supermarket @ Huay Kwey Central has fresh Kim chi flown in from Korea every Wednesday and Friday It is in a distinct green and white packaging and this is the fav brand in Korea for those who do not want to make their own I believe they bring in only certain types of the most popular ones..u have to be early as the korean housewives all descend and buy them up by the afternoon most are gone. I personally don't eat it but was dating a Korean lady some time back and I had to pay a facilitation fee to the sales asst in charge of that section to keep some for me as that is the only one brand she eats ! I keep them in 3 lock and lock air tight containers and still the smell permeates in the fridge :-) This is one item you will not see me reviewing anytime soon :-) but for those who love eating them enjoy !

Great thread! Better than chopping endlessly on hamburgers and gulping down the perfect English or American breakfast !

But, beware! Kimchi is one of those foods that seem relatively endless in variety based on individual tastes and often upon what your mother or grandmother prepared for you as a child. Rather like debating about Scotch malt whisky... Of course, not too many grandmothers ran distilleries!

Uh oh! I might have started something...

The Tops supermarket @ Huay Kwey Central has fresh Kim chi flown in from Korea every Wednesday and Friday It is in a distinct green and white packaging and this is the fav brand in Korea for those who do not want to make their own I believe they bring in only certain types of the most popular ones..u have to be early as the korean housewives all descend and buy them up by the afternoon most are gone. I personally don't eat it but was dating a Korean lady some time back and I had to pay a facilitation fee to the sales asst in charge of that section to keep some for me as that is the only one brand she eats ! I keep them in 3 lock and lock air tight containers and still the smell permeates in the fridge :-) This is one item you will not see me reviewing anytime soon :-) but for those who love eating them enjoy !

Hmmm ?? !!!! biggrin.png

Were you referring to the girlfriend or to the kimchi ?! Or were both too hot ?! Sounds like you must have been infatuated for a while since you were so busy bribing the grocery section lady!!!

Two basic rules (There are others!) about kimchi. One, if you are in love, both must enjoy kimchi, or sleep in separate bed rooms! Two, never eat kimchi for breakfast! Or fall in love with someone who does. (Exception: Both indulge, as in Rule 1)

Edited by Mapguy

But, beware! Kimchi is one of those foods that seem relatively endless in variety based on individual tastes and often upon what your mother or grandmother prepared for you as a child. Rather like debating about Scotch malt whisky... Of course, not too many grandmothers ran distilleries!

You're not wrong, I remember dining out in Korea and most of the men were adamant that their mother's secret recipe was the best!

Kimchi is the bomb! The stink bomb actually. If you take a large amount home and put it in your regular frig, buy some BAKING SODA, and put half of the package in the frig and half in the freezer, as the smell migrates. If you don't do this, your whole place will have the stink. I love kimchi! I buy it by the kilo so that's what I mean by a large amount.

Edited by Jingthing

My Thai wife learned how to make it at home (here in Hawaii), it is pretty easy to do. The secret is to add oysters or fermented fish in the bottle (pla rha) to it. Sounds nasty, but it is a flavor that authentic kimchi needs. I love kimchi, especially when it sits for a while and has a slightly sour taste to it. If if is really sour we make a kimchi stew with it (pork, kimchi, tofu, carrots, green onions, and zuccini), wonderful.

Kim chi is for babies!

Issan Pla rha is definitely in a class by itself. It may be responsible for shortening life, but no medical research lab has been brave enough to run a research study. Consider your stomach! It compares to tossing lithium into hydrochloric acid.

It should also be stored in tightly-sealed glass containers. Bell jars don't help, however, as the stuff rots the rubber gasket. It should NEVER be stored inside any building. If you do, to be responsible you should place hazard markers on your door similarto those which warn of radioactive poisoning. Not only is the odor overwhelming, there is always the danger of spontaneous combustion when opening! If you put it in the fridge, it will burn off the enamel if you leave the jar improperly sealed! When serving it, if you are outside and at some distance from others, don't forget to spoon off the bugs from the top of the jug before you eat, but bury the residue. Never flush into a septic system!

Finally, check your insurance policy's small print. You probably aren;t covered. And, at least, ensure small children are removed from the premises before proceeding!

Great advice people thanks, I do eat it every morning for breakfast but have my own office at work lol. I know it is considered to be healthy but that's not why I eat it - I just love the stuff. No-one I work with here from the west will eat it but thats fine by me as I can have more from the limited daily supply at breakfast!