Not An Ad But Is It Difficult To Sell A Car In Phuket Now?

Felt 35

...or any change it will be the next coming 2-3 years?

I placed this here and not in the motor forum because Im located here and if or when I eventually sell I have no plans to travel around the country to do so.

I dont know now after (IMO) a horrible increased traffic situation on the island but normally the brand and model in question will hold the value very well and sell easy. As said this is a question not an ad so I see no reason to put down more details.

Thanks.

You should not have problem selling

The new car first owners rebate is finished so it will not effect the selling of second hand vehicles which did not get the rebate

Vehicles hold there resale value a lot better here than Australia

Perhaps there is no market for car sales because of the rebate program? - all the potential customers have already bought a bright new shiny cheap car?

The new car first owners rebate is finished so it will not effect the selling of second hand vehicles which did not get the rebate

Perhaps there is no market for car sales because of the rebate program? - all the potential customers have already bought a bright new shiny cheap car?

the rebate effected the sale of second hand cars and pickups when it was available bcause of the big savings when buying a new vehicle

More Thai people are buying vehicles all the time because of better wages and a secondhand vehicle is cheaper to buy and more likely to be in there price range

I have notced more Thais buying vehicles and more expats buying three wheelers

Edited by petercallen
  • Like 1

the rebate effected the sale of second hand cars and pickups when it was available bcause of the big savings when buying a new vehicle

More Thai people are buying vehicles all the time because of better wages and a secondhand vehicle is cheaper to buy and more likely to be in there price range

Three wheelers? biggrin.png What, like this?:

post-35489-0-46290300-1362396600.jpg

post-35489-0-46290300-1362396600_thumb.j

Yes but that one looks a bit flash compared to what they use around Rawai/Chalong

<snip>

Yes but that one looks a bit flash compared to what they use around Rawai/Chalong

Oh, OK. So how about this one?:

post-35489-0-18575600-1362399258.jpg

Is he from Sweden, d'ya think? biggrin.png

post-35489-0-18575600-1362399258_thumb.j

<snip>

Oh, OK. So how about this one?:

post-35489-0-18575600-1362399258.jpg

Is he from Sweden, d'ya think? biggrin.png

More like what they use, the dress standard is right as well

Wrong. All of the potential secondhand buyers upgraded to the purchase of a new car, due to the tax break, thus, the secondhand buyers market has decreased.

Wrong. All of the potential secondhand buyers upgraded to the purchase of a new car, due to the tax break, thus, the secondhand buyers market has decreased.

I was thinking along that line and was a bit surprised a while ago when someone on Tv said "Sure motor" didnt want to take in more cars. I have sold cars to them previously and its only been a question about price not can or want the car.

No problem selling cars here, my mate sold his car within 2 days!!

Sure, but probably for a lesser price than he would have got before everyone (Thai's, and Thai's with farangs) jumped on the new car tax rebate.

A lot of these new cars are now taxis on the island, under the "register black taxi scheme" to get more paying gratuity to the "influential people."

The "brother" has come down from Issan to drive the car/taxi. I know of a few cases of this. The Thai gf/wife has no interest in learning how to drive in all of the cases I know of.

I was thinking along that line and was a bit surprised a while ago when someone on Tv said "Sure motor" didnt want to take in more cars. I have sold cars to them previously and its only been a question about price not can or want the car.

Well, I suspect when certain relationships fail, because the car is in the Thai gf's name for the tax rebate, some will just sell the car for anything. The smarter ones will sent the car up to Issan, to the family, so it will not hit the market here.

No you are wrong, maybe you cannot afford your own car or pickup but more thai people can all the time, they are upgrading from bikes

Do you own your own motorbike???

In a few months the market will return to normal for secondhand vehicles

Edited by petercallen

Sure, but probably for a lesser price than he would have got before everyone (Thai's, and Thai's with farangs) jumped on the new car tax rebate.

A lot of these new cars are now taxis on the island, under the "register black taxi scheme" to get more paying gratuity to the "influential people."

The "brother" has come down from Issan to drive the car/taxi. I know of a few cases of this. The Thai gf/wife has no interest in learning how to drive in all of the cases I know of.

There are lots of Thais not associated with farangs who buy vehicles, upgrading from bikes for their and their chilldrens safety

And there are a lot of farangs here who cannot afford a vehicle and say they would rather ride a bike

No you are wrong, maybe you cannot afford your own car or pickup but more thai people can all the time, they are upgrading from bikes

Do you own your own motorbike???

In a few months the market will return to normal for secondhand vehicles

I can afford my own car, but I decided not to buy one due to parking issues on the island and I wanted the ability to leave Phuket and/or Thailand whenever I wanted, without the need to sell a car first. The main issue for me was the car would determine where I had to live (parking) and I saw a car as restricting my freedom this way. I often hire a car to show friends around the island, but my daily transport is a motobike.

Yes, I do own my own motorbike. I have no problem practically giving it away if/when I want to leave.

You make a statement, but offer none of the reasons behind your statement, so, I'll ask you a few questions.

"In a few months the market will return to normal" - so, where is the market now? Where did it go? Why do you say it will come back? Why do you say a few months? Why not a few years? What guage do you use to state "a few months?"

"More Thai people can all the time" - are you talking about the secondhand car market for all of Thailand, or just on Phuket? I thought this thread was discussing the market on Phuket, which is particularly relevant because Phuket had the highest, or one of the highest, new car tax rebate applications in the whole country. In other words, a lot of new cars were sold on Phuket. If a lot of Thai's have "upgraded" from a motorbike to a car, shouldn't we see a rise in the secondhand motorbike market? I haven't noticed it.

"No you are wrong" - please tell me why you disagree. I'm always open to hear other opinions and points of view but need to hear your argument before I simply accept I am wrong.

Edited by NamKangMan

There are lots of Thais not associated with farangs who buy vehicles, upgrading from bikes for their and their chilldrens safety

And there are a lot of farangs here who cannot afford a vehicle and say they would rather ride a bike

Are you talking about Thailand, or Phuket? This thread is specific to Phuket.

Many of the Phuket Thai's are wealthy - the 10 big families on the island own all the prime real estate. They have been driving expensive European cars for years.

Then, there are all the Issan girls in the sex trade, and some Thai's from various locations working legitimately, but for still only 9000 baht a month.

In my opinion, Phuket doesn't have as much "middle class" as you would suggest. You are either a well off Thai, or on minimum wage, or in the sex trade here. Sure, there are some middle class here, but not enough to cause Phuket to have the highest, or one of the highest, new car tax rebate applications in the whole country.

In my opinion, Phuket doesn't have as much "middle class" as you would suggest. You are either a well off Thai, or on minimum wage, or in the sex trade here.

You need to get away from Patong more often. How many middle class Thais do you think live in Patong? Think of the thousands of small and medium size businesses that are here, and who's owners have nothing to do with the prominent families. Good Thai staff are also well remunerated, and there are thousands in supervisory and middle management positions here.

• Like 1

In my opinion, Phuket doesn't have as much "middle class" as you would suggest. You are either a well off Thai, or on minimum wage, or in the sex trade here.

You need to get away from Patong more often. How many middle class Thais do you think live in Patong? Think of the thousands of small and medium size businesses that are here, and who's owners have nothing to do with the prominent families. Good Thai staff are also well remunerated, and there are thousands in supervisory and middle management positions here.

Ok, so, what sort of salary are they on? Is it enough to service a car loan, on top of their living expenses?

Last I heard, even a uni graduate wasn't on that much salary in Thailand.

All of the genuine expats i know have at least one vehicle and a bike

Its mostly the Thai wife/partner who uses the bike locally going to the 7/11 etc

Longer trips with us no further than the tesco store before the circle at Rawai the bike is not used at all

Why are some people always rubbishing people from Issaan and why claim all the girls are in the sex trade

I know lots of genuine expats who have Wives/partners from Isaan who were never in the sex trade

They leave Isaan to work in other areas to help support there families, it is one of the poorest areas of Thai and

are mostly good hard working people, the woman anyway

People who claim there is not much middle class thai people here should get away from the bars and meet the

hard working Thais who are improving there living standards all the time in other areas

Living standards are improving all the time in Thailand, you cannot say the same thing about a lot of the so called

western or developed countries

If you could buy a new car or pickup with rebate at approx the same price as a 2 year old car what would you buy The rebate no longer exists

Ok, so, what sort of salary are they on? Is it enough to service a car loan, on top of their living expenses?

Average starting rate for supervisory positions is circa 25,000+/month. Managers would be looking at 40,000+/month. Hotel and catering staff would be at the lower end or less, though can and do get substantial monthly increases through service charge distribution (particularly in high season). I think you only need to look at the car parks in Central Festival or Tesco Lotus to grasp my point. There are very, very few 'old bangers' (apart from the occasional farang of course biggrin.png ) in them.

Edited by pagallim

Definitely enough, if you want to know what they earn why don't you get to know genuine hard working Thais and ask them

You wont find them in bars

Its mostly the Thai wife/partner who uses the bike locally going to the 7/11 etc

Longer trips with us no further than the tesco store before the circle at Rawai the bike is not used at all

Why are some people always rubbishing people from Issaan and why claim all the girls are in the sex trade

I know lots of genuine expats who have Wives/partners from Isaan who were never in the sex trade

They leave Isaan to work in other areas to help support there families, it is one of the poorest areas of Thai and

People who claim there is not much middle class thai people here should get away from the bars and meet the

hard working Thais who are improving there living standards all the time in other areas

Living standards are improving all the time in Thailand, you cannot say the same thing about a lot of the so called

If you could buy a new car or pickup with rebate at approx the same price as a 2 year old car what would you buy The rebate no longer exists

We are going a little off topic. I did ask you several questions in relation to the secondhand car market. I'd be interested how you came to your conclusions.

We are going a little off topic. I did ask you several questions in relation to the secondhand car market. I'd be interested how you came to your conclusions.

Read the last line again blink.png Its you going off topic as usual

He does have a point PC. You're making claims here based on what, your intuition? Or is there something else that you base your claims on that the second hand market will be back to normal in a few months time.

And this is very relevant to the thread.

I'm not Thai, so I couldn't get the rebate. Of course, those with a Thai gf or wife, jumped at the opportunity. Like you said, many "upgraded."

The thing is, that left a lot of secondhand cars on the island, an oversupply, which effects market price.

You have admitted that, currently, the market is not "normal." Why????

Edited by NamKangMan

@ pagalim

I'm always happy to learn, especially since I will never work here, or get a car loan here.

So, do you have any idea on the repayments, per month, for say, your base model Honda Jazz?

Also, just to clarify, I never stated Phuket has no middle class. I stated that, in my opinion, Phuket does not have as bigger middle class as some may think, and further to my opinion, not enough middle class to achieve the highest, or one of the highest, new car tax rebate applications in the country.

In my opinion, I think there was a farang behind a lot of those new car purchases/applications on the island. I personally know of a few cases.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ pagalim

I'm always happy to learn, especially since I will never work here, or get a car loan here.

So, do you have any idea on the repayments, per month, for say, your base model Honda Jazz?

Also, just to clarify, I never stated Phuket has no middle class. I stated that, in my opinion, Phuket does not have as bigger middle class as some may think, and further to my opinion, not enough middle class to achieve the highest, or one of the highest, new car tax rebate applications in the country.

In my opinion, I think there was a farang behind a lot of those new car purchases/applications on the island. I personally know of a few cases.

OK, the Honda.co.th website quotes a list price of 630,000 for a Jazz S Auto. 20% deposit would be 126,000, leaving a balance of 504,000. If this was paid over the maximum number of months (72), it would mean a monthly repayment of 8407 baht.

http://www.hondaleasing.co.th/th/financial-calculator/financial-calculator.php

We've only paid cash for our cars so don't know if there are any other special offers, from say banks or other financial institutions.

While I'm sure that are indeed many wives/GF's of farangs that have taken advantage of this rebate scheme, I think their numbers are dwarfed by Thai families (who are typically one car families), and have used the scheme in the wife's name.

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1