Pushing In Front Of Others

britgent

I am not saying every other country has been perfect but I do notice a distinct lack of deference here to people who have clearly been waiting longer in the line.

Quite a few times now I have had a cheeky chappie cut in at the last second to pip me at the post so to speak.

Whilst still enamoured with the place I do find the little nuances like this odd but not unnerving.

Although I do suspect the lady in Chiang Mai airport who barged her way in was of Chinese descent so we'll let that one pass.

My observation the other day was an elderly gentleman barging and elbowing his way to the front of the bar to get served first then proceeding to take 10 minutes faffing about in his walet looking for the correct change for a bottle of beer while all the younger more patient patrons waited with money at the readyrolleyes.gif

One also got the rough end when waiting for a cubicle in bkk airport toilets. Clearly stood avidly watching the doors like George Michael with an erection and a certain old gentleman of local origin barged in the 8" gap between me and said door. Simply not cricket old boy as the bleeder I was harbouring had had a whiff of fresh air and much fancied freedom sans drop zone.

With your superior attitude its not surprising you are being singled out.

Get used to it. Thai's have no sense of cuing (in lines, on roads, etc). The only place you normally get a fair shake is at the bank because they print you out a number, I have seen them jump this line all the same though....

Get used to it. Thai's have no sense of cuing (in lines, on roads, etc). The only place you normally get a fair shake is at the bank because they print you out a number, I have seen them jump this line all the same though....

They have no sense of other human beings, is what you meant to say, right?!

Just go shopping on a Saturday or Sunday at Tesco or the likes.

They behave, like they are ALONE in the place!

• Like 1

Beware the lil old ladies. They are the most dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I once stood in the sleeting snow on Manhattans upper west side waiting for a taxi, after about 45 minutes one arrived. Out of the darkness came a lil old lady who jumped into my cab. I snatched her bald...

They don't get any room here either...

Edited by Yo Sup

Thais at least in Chiang Mai have no sense whatsoever of their place in line whether it be traffic, a line in a restroom, a line to pay in a store, whatever. Many times I have become quite irritated at a person arriving and going to the front of the line. The most recent event was an elevator at a hospital so I merely quickly walked ahead and stood in front of the guy. I'm surprised 20 others didn't do the same -- perhaps something to do with age, but I was clearly much older than the the man who barged in, but I mustn't forget that I'm a farang and they really don't have many rights in this country.

I hear more huffing and puffing. . . OBVIOUSLY IF EVERYONE ELSE CUTS IN LINE, WHY DON'T U DO THE SAME?!!?!?! The majority of you old fat bald sexpats can easily muscles a 45 kg girl or man out of your way, why r you complaining about it? I learned very early on in my travels that if I am in a country (Laos, Vietnam, a lesser extent Thailand) that if people do not understand/respect a line, then I can do the same and being 190cm and 90kg I can make my presence felt. Problem solved.

The appropriate comment to mutter just loud enough for them to hear is .....

maa-ra-yaat saam

Got the first bit meaning 'manners' but the second?

I say:

Khun mai mee maa-ra-yaat loy!

that tends to get a shameful face from the offender.

I hear more huffing and puffing. . . OBVIOUSLY IF EVERYONE ELSE CUTS IN LINE, WHY DON'T U DO THE SAME?!!?!?! The majority of you old fat bald sexpats can easily muscles a 45 kg girl or man out of your way, why r you complaining about it? I learned very early on in my travels that if I am in a country (Laos, Vietnam, a lesser extent Thailand) that if people do not understand/respect a line, then I can do the same and being 190cm and 90kg I can make my presence felt. Problem solved.

The real test of good manners is to be patient with those who have none.

Agreed. Good point. Retain your dignity even if others have abandoned theirs.

The real test of good manners is to be patient with those who have none.

Agreed. Good point. Retain your dignity even if others have abandoned theirs.

Or.........elbow them in the ribs as you barge back in front!

I'm at war with old ladies pushing in front of me.

I understand the whole respecting your elders things and letting them go first but I frequently have to stand in a motorbike taxi queue in the morning waiting to get to work whilst loads of old biddies push in front of me and hand the motorbike taxi driver 10 baht or something... I'm on my way to work... I'm going to be late... These little old ladies are off home to cook breakfast and chat to the neighbours probably! rolleyes.gif

Also it happens quite a lot in 7Eleven. I just barge them out of the way or say "excuse me!?" in Thai and give them 'the look'.

• Like 2

I'm at war with old ladies pushing in front of me.

I understand the whole respecting your elders things and letting them go first but I frequently have to stand in a motorbike taxi queue in the morning waiting to get to work whilst loads of old biddies push in front of me and hand the motorbike taxi driver 10 baht or something... I'm on my way to work... I'm going to be late... These little old ladies are off home to cook breakfast and chat to the neighbours probably! rolleyes.gif

Also it happens quite a lot in 7Eleven. I just barge them out of the way or say "excuse me!?" in Thai and give them 'the look'.

These little old ladies are off home to cook breakfast and chat to the neighbours probably!

How do you know thats not my wife on the way back from buying my breakfast,?

I could be sat at home starving and nursing a mega hangover and waiting for the mrs to bring me some para and a half bottle of Hong Tong to make me feel up to facing the day, and the inevitable tongue lashing to follow.

rolleyes.gif

say "excuse me!?" in Thai

Dont forget to put a, na ka, on the end just for extra effect.

• Like 2

say "excuse me!?" in Thai

Arai wa! (<deleted>)

Tam arai wa! (<deleted> are you doing)

Gert arai wa! (<deleted> is happening)

Bai nai wa, kao kiw na krap usuallys gets a laugh from the locals.

Chern krap pom mai reep.

Oh oh, khon w i p ma leaw, ben dara reu plao.

Usage depends on situation and who I am talking to.

• Like 1