New Immigration Points System For Uk

Wow..a lot of fascinating reading on the 5 year plan link. Seems that entry to the UK is to get harder for just about everyone who currently needs a visa(e.g. Thai nationals), especially workers and indeed students. Seems like anyone planning to apply should do so sooner rather than later . Those with high powered jobs, loads of property etc will have nothing to fear, but the bulk of the Thai nation will , it seems , find it increasingly difficult IF all these plans are actually implemented.

IF everything does actually happen that is planned , then taken together with the planned ID cards to be compulsory in the UK soon , Big Brother will truly be watching us all.

SILOMFAN

Wow..a lot of fascinating reading on the 5 year plan link. Seems that entry to the UK is to get harder for just about everyone who currently needs a visa(e.g. Thai nationals), especially workers and indeed students. Seems like anyone planning to apply should do so sooner rather than later . Those with high powered jobs, loads of property etc will have nothing to fear, but the bulk of the Thai nation will , it seems , find it increasingly difficult IF all these plans are actually implemented.

IF everything does actually happen that is planned , then taken together with the planned ID cards to be compulsory in the UK soon , Big Brother will truly be watching us all.

SILOMFAN

It will not be a problem for me.

I have 2 British passports (legally), my Thai son now has a British birth certificate and a British passport but my wife did not want to spend at least 3 years in the UK just to get a passport. We are legally married in the UK but she is Thai all through and does not want to live there. Neither do I, so, no problem.

The walls around the UK but also the EC are becoming higher and higher....The Great Wall in China is peanuts... :D

In Holland a new law is under construction that 'newcomers'* HAVE TO LEARN the Dutch language in their own homecountry and do an exam on the Embassy in any given country of origin... :o by means of a voice recognition system (which has only been done before in English and Spanish...) :D

The immigration numbers did already drop dramatically.

Now, can anyone, wanting to come and live in LOS think of such a system..? That would be fun, woudn't it? :D

* newcomers from outside the EEC and some other 'Western'-considered countries...like Japan for instance :D

LaoPo

Britain introduces new visa system

LONDON: -- The British government Tuesday outlined a new points-based immigration system for workers wishing to come to Britain from outside the European Union (EU).

The system, expected to be introduced by the middle of next year at the earliest, is aimed at attracting highly-skilled younger workers while making it harder for low-skilled, non-EU citizens, to come to Britain.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke said the system, which is similar to those used in the US and Australia, would simplify immigration.

But critics said it discriminates against immigrants from developing countries and would turn immigration into a "political football."

The points system will not apply to EU residents, including those from the new member states, who will continue to enjoy freedom of movement.

People who want to come to the UK will be awarded points for factors including their age, qualifications, their previous earnings, language and skills.

A certain number of points would be needed to be considered for a work visa, awarded for aptitude, age, experience, and the level of need in each sector.

Recent government figures showed that more than 345,000 people from eastern Europe have come to work in Britain since the enlargement of the European Union.

MPs representing Asian communities warned that the scheme would not solve the problems faced by Indian and Asian restaurants which currently had 20,000 vacancies to fill "and will struggle to recruit."

--DPA 2006-03-08

From a practical point of view this new strategy will have little impact upon genuine settlement applicants who wish to gain entry to the UK sponsored by their fiances and spouses, by far the greatest proportion of forum members seeking help. Admittedly, obtaining British citizenship on the basis of such settlement may prove a longer process than that currently in force but in truth I would surmise that is not the main priority of applicants. Of more significance, is the intention to restrict ' chain ' or secondary migration of settled persons by requiring them to have completed a term of residence of 5 years. Thus a Thai wife happily settled in the UK may not bring her children from another liaison until she has done her' porridge'. Not sure how that could work in practice since other legislation may conflict. Nevertheless, it is something to keep an eye on since sponsoring such children is a regular feature of Thai migration to the UK.

The other significant change of relevance to the forum is the proposed reduction of maximum length of stay on a visit visa from 6 months to 3 months and consequent administrative changes. Although statistics are hard to come by, it is common knowledge that many visitors, visa nationals or otherwise, work illegally during their stay.That is going to be a lot tougher in the future. Anyone legally staying for longer than 3 months will hold a residence permit ( ID Card ) and if they are permitted to work this will have to be shown to the prospective employer. Any employer found to have taken someone on without sight of that card who is not permitted to work is going to get hit with an on the spot fine which is not going to be pennies. THerefore, no card, no work. Anyone without a card is either a visitor or an illegal, either way work will not be an option. Enforcement, hitherto derisory, will be multi tasked involving UKIS, Dept WPP and Revenue. If resourced properly, it will be a brave or stupid employer who flouts the law.Well, that's the theory.

Eventually, electronic recording of data on immigrants, temporary or otherwise, will mean that the identification of offenders will be that much easier.

Contrary to other more cynical views these measures may well make it easier to obtain visit visas since the opportunity to offend, always uppermost in the ECO's mind, will have been much reduced.

From a practical point of view this new strategy will have little impact upon genuine settlement applicants who wish to gain entry to the UK sponsored by their fiances and spouses, by far the greatest proportion of forum members seeking help.

Thanks for that Gent sounds good to me. So maybe then genuine cases stand a good chance and the system will not be over run by flash in the pan 2 week holiday visa people who just met? IMO

:o

Edited by lopburiguy

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I think the restrictions on family members wont apply to dependants, especially children.

Yes, you're right. Clamping down on chain migration was in reference to family reunion cases which relates more to asylum than anything else. I read the synopsis too quickly.....oops, sorry. Probably a bit of wishful thinking on my part!!

The system, expected to be introduced by the middle of next year at the earliest, is aimed at attracting highly-skilled younger workers while making it harder for low-skilled, non-EU citizens, to come to Britain.

Perhaps the British Government might like to look into why I, and many like me, are so keen to take our education, skills and training overseas.

The first rule of filling the bath tub is to make sure the plug's in and not leaking before you start.

[quote

The other significant change of relevance to the forum is the proposed reduction of maximum length of stay on a visit visa from 6 months to 3 months and consequent administrative changes. Although statistics are hard to come by, it is common knowledge that many visitors, visa nationals or otherwise, work illegally during their stay.That is going to be a lot tougher in the future.

Working illegally should be made tougher as should checking up on overstayers. One thai I know has been working on a 'student visa' which ran out 3 years ago. He never was a student, just worked in restaurants since he came here. Still, compared to the hundreds of thousands of other people here completely illegally the odd thai is just a microscopic part of the problem. The system was, and is despite the many headline catching initiatives, still a shambles.

Unemployment figures are still high in alot of Northern areas in the UK, but the government still wishes to bring in skilled workers rather than start more iniatives to train the employment force they already have. I think this grabs back to the use of cheap labour force.

However as mentioned by thai3 the system for illegal immigrants is renowed for being a shambles and is serving no one except businessmen who have a cheap workforce to use, not the UK.

Unemployment figures are still high in alot of Northern areas in the UK, but the government still wishes to bring in skilled workers rather than start more iniatives to train the employment force they already have. I think this grabs back to the use of cheap labour force.

However as mentioned by thai3 the system for illegal immigrants is renowed for being a shambles and is serving no one except businessmen who have a cheap workforce to use, not the UK.

All reputable companies i have worked for over the last couple of years have asked for my passport when going for interviews to make sure i am British, the same has applied to my wife, they have insisted on seeing her visa to make sure she is working legally. Also it is now requirement that people wanting citizenship in the uk must now pass tests in communication skills. My wife told me she couldnt be bothered to goto college to make sure her English skills were upto the required standard, just to get a british passport, dont blame her really, who would want a passport for this country :o

I believe that the onus is now on the employer to ensure that all of their employees are working legally, with a £2000 fixed penalty for each illegal worker they employ if they are caught. (Big 'if' I know.)

If people are aware of illegal workers, instead of just moaning about it, why not report them?

Also it is now requirement that people wanting citizenship in the uk must now pass tests in communication skills. My wife told me she couldnt be bothered to goto college to make sure her English skills were upto the required standard, just to get a british passport, dont blame her really, who would want a passport for this country :o
Anyone who wants to hop across the channel for a week-end break without the hassle of applying several weeks in advance for a Schengen visa.

Working illegally should be made tougher as should checking up on overstayers.

They do that in LOS as well, don't they, but if it's done in LOS, everybody is screaming about the 'tough' laws in LOS :o

LaoPo