Time To Build Suvarnabumi

Yes, it finally took Loong Thaksin to get the Nongnuhao hinterlands turned into an international airport after almost 30 years where successive 'governments' and the military either sat on their hands or milked endless rounds of feasibility studies and 'research' for all they were worth.

Those that despise Thaksin and all that he stands for can contribute now.

Thanks

• Like 1

Those that despise Thaksin know how much he skimmed off the project.

Substandard runways, overpayment for baggage handling equipment to name but two.

Could have been done a lot faster if it hadn't been for a lot of cost cutting and the delays that went with that.

Example, next time you are at the airport take a look at the support arches, you will notice that they are made from straight sections that look curved from a distance but the cost of bending each each piece was too much so it was changed to make them from straight tubes and that involved a lot of re-calculation or strength etc and the redesign of the temp' supports to fit the new shape etc.

Control tower was originally designed to be full curtain glass wall etc but was also too expensive.

The original base connection of the arches had to be re-engineered because the concrete was cast with with rebar, standard, but someone missed the fact that that the support bolts had to go through the re-bar so that was re-designed.

No different from any other big project in any country.

Name me a project in any country that has gone without a hitch. It's called engineering, and, as Rabbie said, " The best laid plans "

In the end it was a normal, not out of the ordinary project and all the engineering problems were solved, as happens everywhere.

Bite?

I believe NanLaew means you took the first bite after the invitation for the anti-Thaksin brigade to step in...carry on.

Ah. He must lead an exciting life.

I could tell you all about it but then you would hate me more.

Bite?

I believe NanLaew means you took the first bite after the invitation for the anti-Thaksin brigade to step in...carry on.

No, I suspect I would just doze off.

Bite?

No, I suspect I would just doze off.

LOL

"30-all"

• Like 1

4 years for a project of that magnitude, from turning the first sod to opening, is impressive.

Maybe not as much if all the designs, project plans, etc. were ready for years while they argued over funding. *

(* Funding = working out who was taking their personal cut of the allocated budget).

4 years for a project of that magnitude, from turning the first sod to opening, is impressive.

Maybe not as much if all the designs, project plans, etc. were ready for years while they argued over funding. *

(* Funding = working out who was taking their personal cut of the allocated budget).

I recall that it was 'officially' opened long before the first flight though so that it could be said it was finished on time, so maybe not so impressive. Does anybody recall that, or the exact circumstances?

Main reason it took 30 years for Suvarnabhumi:

- Donmuang = military owned

- All governments during those 30 years were too afraid to touch that hot potatoe.

- We all know by now what happened to Mr Taksin.

This was 1 of the reasons for he removal of Mr. Thaksin.

I recall that it was 'officially' opened long before the first flight though so that it could be said it was finished on time, so maybe not so impressive. Does anybody recall that, or the exact circumstances?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I think that when they got all the control systems up and running they landed a Thai airways flight with a few VIP's and declared the airports first flight/or landing publicly. Not sure where it flew from, maybe DM, did a few miles in the air and then landed. That was quite a while before the first paying passengers flew in.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I think that when they got all the control systems up and running they landed a Thai airways flight with a few VIP's and declared the airports first flight/or landing publicly. Not sure where it flew from, maybe DM, did a few miles in the air and then landed. That was quite a while before the first paying passengers flew in.

For those who know nothing about wikipedia....

"Symbolic first test flights involving two Thai Airways aircraft were held on 29 September 2005, a previously announced deadline for opening.

Full tests of the airport took place on 3 and 29 July 2006.

The first international test flights were conducted on 1 September 2006.

On 15 September 2006, the airport started limited daily operations with Jetstar Asia Airways operating three Singapore to Bangkok flights.

Suvarnabhumi officially opened at 03:00 on 28 September 2006."

So it was one year late. Not bad when you consider how late A380's became and Dreamliners will be.

Edited by NanLaew

Main reason it took 30 years for Suvarnabhumi:

- Donmuang = military owned

- All governments during those 30 years were too afraid to touch that hot potatoe.

- We all know by now what happened to Mr Taksin.

This was 1 of the reasons for he removal of Mr. Thaksin.

Didn't he try to hijack an F15 purchase to make some money buying Russian jets?

Hate to spoil the party but the initial construction for Suvarnabumi commenced in the mid 1990's with the earthworks and this can be found by using google for the term "earthworks for Suvarnabhumi". I am trying to find where they actually started dumping earth onto the site and draining water shortly after the land was purchased as pre conditioning the land. From memory this was something like 30 years ago and the area was originally known as "Cobra Swamp", I will have to try and find the reference on this.

I thinks this spoils the Thaksin accolades and conspiracy theories a little bit. Though I do clearly recall the problems with the baggage scanners.

I flew out of DM a few days after the Coup and 3 1/2 weeks later flew into Swampy. Passenger numbers were very light and a lot of transit passengers included. The coup gave Swampy a light load to start off with.

Cheers

Nan Laew said, "For those who know nothing about wikipedia....".

If we went to wikipedia Nan, firstly, we would deny you the opportunity of expounding your great knowledge, and secondly, putting the rest of the forum members down because they sere so stupid they didn't check wiki first! How silly of us.

The reason I raised it was so that there would be some discussion, and just some of that information may not appear online.

Nan Laew said, "For those who know nothing about wikipedia....".

If we went to wikipedia Nan, firstly, we would deny you the opportunity of expounding your great knowledge, and secondly, putting the rest of the forum members down because they sere so stupid they didn't check wiki first! How silly of us.

The reason I raised it was so that there would be some discussion, and just some of that information may not appear online.

Sorry if my post came across as less than helpful.

I knew bugger all about the history of the airport until I went to wiki to provide the OP with some answers as well as the source. I even did an edit on the Suvarnhabumi wiki page where someone (probably a cantankerous TV member) posted a comment under the 'Predatory Irregularities' (<deleted>???!!!) along the lines that the 7-eleven and Family Mart in Departures conspire to rip-off unsuspecting departing passengers by selling them bottled drinks before they go to security 'knowing full well that they will be confiscated'. I deleted that rubbish! But it does seem that a lot of people are blissfully unaware of wiki's existence.

I am pretty sure if someone wants to waste their time search within this forum, all the details of what cement was poured on what date including who drove the mixer truck will be revealed.

Carry on.

Edited by NanLaew