Thai Wife Of German Man Killed By Crazed Elephant In Rayong

webfact

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tourists in general need to take a lot of the blame, as they are the ones creating the demand. They should stay well away from chained up animals like elephants, tigers, bears, etc. It's very cruel to treat animals this way for the amusement of tourists. And shame on all the tourists that perpetuate these cruelties. The cruelty is often obvious to see, bit most tourists just don't care, as long as they get their precious photo.

So you want to ban horse racing ?

sorry you are way off on this ,race horses generally get tip top treatment from vetsand owners and are not generally paraded around on crowded beaches of tourists, though horses are used for rides on the beach at hua hin and inexperienced riders are allowed to ride them , which is also very dangerous IMHO. What happens with elephants over here is really bad, considering the treatment they are given and the life they lead. Actually could also not believe it when i saw a young elephant being paraded through a very busy soi in Hua Hin , at the time of a crowdedhigh street night market, imagine how that could have turned out? Did not see any race horses there though.

Edited by daiwill60
  • Like 2

An owner of an animal, that shows up with food for you to buy, so the animal eats, is a total play on emotion, and sociopathic...

Rubbish, the animal knows what ever happens it's going to eat it. It doesn't know about money changing hands the same as a race horse doesn't know why it's being whipped around a track, but it knows food is awaiting.coffee1.gif

I wasn't talking about the animal, I was referring to the behavior of the owner. Hardly rubbish at all, if you know anything about psychology.

<deleted> has psychology got to do with anything in LOS. LOS folk must feed themselves by what ever means possible, no social security here, feed the family, end of story.

Go back in the UK's history before social security and see how folk survived.

Transam, please, Yo Sup makes clear reference to the owner, not the elephant.

• Like 1

If humans would be the size of elephants we would probably much more dangerous when walking on the streets than real elephants.

I think elephants are very calm and kind animals and can be tamed, but if they have a bad day, their size makes them deadly. Therefore we should not use them for tourist amusement.

I feel so sorry for the husband. It must be terrible to suddenly loose your partner is such a stupid accident.

What do you mean? There's some women in the US who have ass an elephant would envy. They're not at all calm and they can't be tamed. With the right lawyer, they're more than deadly. sorry.gifofftopic2.gif

• Like 2

Not all Thai people treat Elephants badly, some treat them with respect and as one of the family, they are not stupid and are very intelligent, they will not do anything they do not want to do , unless beaten and treat badly, they will not starve if you leave them alone they know what they can eat in the Jungle, they are not suppose to be in built up areas or in city's. here is an Elephantpost-81959-0-79635900-1362501707_thumb.j who is well treat and its mother is always standing by,

• Like 1

Makes one's blood go cold. A few weeks ago my grandchildren were playing with a two-year-old elephant in a hotel in Phuket!

How did you manage to get an elephant into hotel? did you have to pay joiner?

" One morning i shot an Elephant in my pajamas, ..how he got into my pajamas i dont know " - Groucho Marx smile.png

Everytime I hear of something like this I am reminded of myself allowing my kids to feed them elephants a few years ago. Sure, I checked to see whether a.) it was chained up b.) behind a sturdy fence and c.) didn't have tusks; but there were so many other things that could have gone wrong. I am reminded of that all the time.

At the zoo I try to avoid the elephants. When my kids are crying out "Daddy, the elephants! I wanna pet the elephants" I tell them the truth -- "Sorry, that elephant has tusks, and it's HUGE, it can go crazy at any time and hurt you -- besides, there are other animals to see that you don't see everywhere else -- oh look! A giraffe!"

I tell our AFS students not to ride the elephants. They do anyways. This was just a few days ago. They took a risk -- fortunately they got lucky.

Edited by theajarn

such a sad story , very sorry for this woman , maybe time to realized that elephant are not that peaceful after all. They should be forbidden on the beach or any other tourist area.. rare accident for sure but it happened. sad.png

Elephants are wild animals, perhaps it's time to realize that beating and starving them to use as show pony is not wise and has consequences.

Perhaps it's also time to realize that animals are not here for human amusement.

Rip victim and condolences to the husband irrespective where he is from.

Really have no idea why origin of a person is important in reporting sad news like this

Asians, in particular, Indians and Thais have domesticated and been using elephants and buffalos for centuries as workhorses

or beasts of burden, long before the west even thought of domesticating such things as oxen, cows, horses or even dogs.

It is sad that anyone should die or even be injured at the hands of any animal domestic or wild but that is the unfortunate way

of the world. All animals can be unpredictable and as such should be approached and treated with caution, even then such

accidents as this can and will continue to happen no matter how much care may be taken.

There is one thing I would suggest. Year on year there are probable more people in the world killed or maimed by rogue dogs,

such as Pit Bulls than anywhere near the number of people hurt by Elephants

You started off your post on some what intelligent note, sadly you ended with the dumbest statement yet.

There are by far more dogs than elephants running around and living with people.

If as many people kept an elephant in their backyard as people keep dogs, i am willing to bet my house, you would be hearing much more deaths caused by the elephant than a dog.

Elephants have never been a domestic animal, furthermore, elephant is a mammal not an animal.

Just because people have used and abused them, they did not turn domestic and they never will.

Dogs were always with people, so how you comparing dogs to elephants is beyond meblink.png

Asians, in particular, Indians and Thais have domesticated and been using elephants and buffalos for centuries as workhorses or beasts of burden, long before the west even thought of domesticating such things as oxen, cows, horses or even dogs.

The use of domesticated draught animals appeared in Europe, the middle east and Asia around 4000 BC, it is unknown which was first.

such a sad story , very sorry for this woman , maybe time to realized that elephant are not that peaceful after all. They should be forbidden on the beach or any other tourist area.. rare accident for sure but it happened. sad.png

Elephants are wild animals, perhaps it's time to realize that beating and starving them to use as show pony is not wise and has consequences.

Perhaps it's also time to realize that animals are not here for human amusement.

Rip victim and condolences to the husband irrespective where he is from.

Really have no idea why origin of a person is important in reporting sad news like this

Asians, in particular, Indians and Thais have domesticated and been using elephants and buffalos for centuries as workhorses

or beasts of burden, long before the west even thought of domesticating such things as oxen, cows, horses or even dogs.

It is sad that anyone should die or even be injured at the hands of any animal domestic or wild but that is the unfortunate way

of the world. All animals can be unpredictable and as such should be approached and treated with caution, even then such

accidents as this can and will continue to happen no matter how much care may be taken.

There is one thing I would suggest. Year on year there are probable more people in the world killed or maimed by rogue dogs,

such as Pit Bulls than anywhere near the number of people hurt by Elephants

You started off your post on some what intelligent note, sadly you ended with the dumbest statement yet.

There are by far more dogs than elephants running around and living with people.

If as many people kept an elephant in their backyard as people keep dogs, i am willing to bet my house, you would be hearing much more deaths caused by the elephant than a dog.

Elephants have never been a domestic animal, furthermore, elephant is a mammal not an animal.

Just because people have used and abused them, they did not turn domestic and they never will.

Dogs were always with people, so how you comparing dogs to elephants is beyond meblink.png

Rather angry post lemoncake, and some what disjointed.

Most animals are mammals LC including dogs because they give birth to live young and nurture

and feed them to adolesence,

All dogs originated from wild stock, primarily the grey wolf it is believed, sorry they were all domesticated

and bred by man.

Do you by any chance own a Pit Bull???

giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

Edited by phuketjock
  • Like 1

and all elephants originated from Deinotheriums, and i do not recall them being domesticated.

Wolfs are wolfs and elephants are elephants, there are no domestic and wild elephants.

there are wild and captive elephants.

• Like 1

My Condolences to the husband and family

I have seen the elephants walking up hat mae ramphung beach and even fed them with my daughter. I was under the belief it was all safe but now as we prepare to move there I will be more cautious

If it's legal to allow the animal about, then I'm not sure what they would charge the owner or mahout with. This seems a tragic accident that comes, from time to time, with being around wild animals. That's terrible that the lady is dead, but why draw up bogus charges if these animals are normally allowed to roam the beach? The animal should be confiscated, and an investigation would be great (how thorough...who knows, TIT?), but I don't see good coming out of some severe punishment for something that probably could not have been prevented by the individuals that may be charged.

When people are let off the hook for crimes that could have clearly been prevented like drunk driving accidents resulting in the death of others, and then others are charged for something like this, it continues to perpetuate...oohh, nevermind. Though some may disagree with me, I feel like I'm preaching to the choir.

annoyed.gif

• Like 1

I don't think the picture of the cute baby elephant in the OP is the one that went crazy.

(An elephant..like the one in the story)

They often have open wounds from the metal tipped stick mahouts use.

• Like 1

Another warning in Thailand. Don't get too close to buffaloes. They will turn on you in a heartbeat. They don't have that rope through their nose for a fashion statement.

• Like 2

The mahout said the hot weather had crazed the normally docile beast. The mahout and the elephant’s owner will be prosecuted by police.

Ten years in prison and/or a fine of 200 Thai baht.--coffee1.gif