Thai Wife Of German Man Killed By Crazed Elephant In Rayong

webfact

Here's a thought.

Asians, in particular, Indians and Thais have domesticated and been using elephants and buffalos for centuries as workhorses

or beasts of burden, long before the west even thought of domesticating such things as oxen, cows, horses or even dogs.

It is sad that anyone should die or even be injured at the hands of any animal domestic or wild but that is the unfortunate way

of the world. All animals can be unpredictable and as such should be approached and treated with caution, even then such

accidents as this can and will continue to happen no matter how much care may be taken.

There is one thing I would suggest. Year on year there are probably more people in the world killed or maimed by rogue dogs

than anywhere near the number of people hurt by Elephants

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

such a sad story , very sorry for this woman , maybe time to realized that elephant are not that peaceful after all. They should be forbidden on the beach or any other tourist area.. rare accident for sure but it happened. sad.png

Elephants are wild animals, perhaps it's time to realize that beating and starving them to use as show pony is not wise and has consequences.

Perhaps it's also time to realize that animals are not here for human amusement.

Rip victim and condolences to the husband irrespective where he is from.

Really have no idea why origin of a person is important in reporting sad news like this

This time what you say is making complete sense.

Elephants belong in their natural environments, which is in the forest or jungle.

Keep any wild animal chained and confirmed and it will eventually turn.

RIP for the tragic woman and also extremely sad for the elephant and anyone who cares for the welfare of animals.

Here's a thought.

Asians, in particular, Indians and Thais have domesticated and been using elephants and buffalos for centuries as workhorses

or beasts of burden, long before the west even thought of domesticating such things as oxen, cows, horses or even dogs.

It is sad that anyone should die or even be injured at the hands of any animal domestic or wild but that is the unfortunate way

of the world. All animals can be unpredictable and as such should be approached and treated with caution, even then such

accidents as this can and will continue to happen no matter how much care may be taken.

There is one thing I would suggest. Year on year there are probably more people in the world killed or maimed by rogue dogs

very good point, you are absolutely right. But, I want to bring up is the subject of Elephants. I believe they are the more intelligent land mammal compared to most beasts of burden. They are a symbol of Thailand. Compared to an oxen, these things can tear some sh*t up. I believe these animals have personality. Now, as a national symbol, they are a tourist attraction. If mistreated, they will stomp your sh*t in. People being jacked-up by dogs or buffalo's is one thing, because sh*t happens. But, when a tourist comes to Thailand and get mauled by an Elephant is a whole different ball game. These things are a precious commodity to the country and the people bring them things to the city like a dam_n slave. When bad things happen, guess what? A BS game of chess is under way, played by a bunch of P's. what I'm trying to say is that this is no accident, its complete neglect of what the govt. should be doing. The neglect of responsibility is disgusting.

Edited by agnusmaximus

Here's a thought.

very good point, you are absolutely right. But, I want to bring up is the subject of Elephants. I believe they are the more intelligent land mammal compared to most beasts of burden. They are a symbol of Thailand. Compared to an oxen, these things can tear some sh*t up. I believe these animals have personality. Now, as a national symbol, they are a tourist attraction. If mistreated, they will stomp your sh*t in. People being jacked-up by dogs or buffalo's is one thing, because sh*t happens. But, when a tourist comes to Thailand and get mauled by an Elephant is a whole different ball game. These things are a precious commodity to the country and the people bring them things to the city like a dam_n slave. When bad things happen, guess what? A BS game of chess is under way, played by a bunch of P's. what I'm trying to say is that this is no accident, its complete neglect of what the govt. should be doing. The neglect of responsibility is disgusting.

Agnus everything you said makes sense. Elephants do seem to be more intellegent than your average mammal

but due to there size they are far more dangerous than their lesser intelligent peers when they do go off on one.

I don't know if you live in Thailand or what your knowledge of Thailand is but unfortunately Elephants and their

care and wellbeing are very low on a long list of things that require the urgent attention of the Thai government,

and your concern though admirable will I am afraid fall on very stoney ground. wai.gif

Failure of responsibility, failure of doing the right thing, failure of duty. Everyone is in it for themselves and they think its OK when Sh*t goes down because they can sweep it under the table with money. All them rich F's are so dam_n scared to save face, their kids face, their families face.Everyone is scared of each other. For what? pride? fortune? self-importance? everyone wipes their ass like you and me. No one wants to get their dam_n hands dirty because they think they are too dam_n good for that business. Everyone is scared of each other to the point that they would blame an Elephant, A dam_n national symbol, for their wrong doings. That crap is making me want to send a Street Fighter fire ball straight through my computer! I swear... by the power invested in me, I will turn into a ninja and F some stuff up.

Here's a thought.

Agnus everything you said makes sense. Elephants do seem to be more intellegent than your average mammal

but due to there size they are far more dangerous than their lesser intelligent peers when they do go off on one.

I don't know if you live in Thailand or what your knowledge of Thailand is but unfortunately Elephants and their

care and wellbeing are very low on a long list of things that require the urgent attention of the Thai government,

and your concern though admirable will I am afraid fall on very stoney ground. wai.gif

but, yeah. I'm in Thailand and i got myself in a pickle because of my intolerance for BS.

Absolute nonsense.

How can you make a valid argument when your premises are so wide of the mark?

They kill them for the greed of Money, something that separates

us from other animals greed.

So they have discovered elephants are wild animals, and

elephants given the choice I am sure would prefer to live in the jungles up

north in Thailand where they come from, rather than be chained up and having to

trudge along streets and beaches with humans and vehicles going about everywhere

and having to eat the same crap every day. Release it back into the wild if it

is not too domesticated, then once its tusks grow big some poacher will come

along and extract them, but at least it could have a few years of just being a

normal elephant, if it was acting insane I am sure it was only due to stress.

So why do humans kill for no apparent reason ?

They kill them for the greed of Money, something that separates

us from other animals greed.

So they have discovered elephants are wild animals, and

elephants given the choice I am sure would prefer to live in the jungles up

north in Thailand where they come from, rather than be chained up and having to

trudge along streets and beaches with humans and vehicles going about everywhere

and having to eat the same crap every day. Release it back into the wild if it

is not too domesticated, then once its tusks grow big some poacher will come

along and extract them, but at least it could have a few years of just being a

normal elephant, if it was acting insane I am sure it was only due to stress.

So why do humans kill for no apparent reason ?

Hmmmmmmmm, think you forgot religion (s). coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Absolute nonsense.

Please feel free to enlighten everyone of your knowledge of "the mark" then. coffee1.gif

Absolute nonsense.

Please feel free to enlighten everyone of your knowledge of "the mark" then. coffee1.gif

I think he was trying to say that wilcopos was kinda ambiguous?

Absolute nonsense.

Most likely because the domestication of dogs goes back 12000 - 30000 years and predates also other species. Also perhaps that cows (would have been oxen at the time) show domestication in Europe and Asia at the same time, we don't know who was the first to do it so to say one did it first is a lie.

Nat Geo says that elephants are the worst killer of humans at about 500/year. 70% of animal attacks occur while feeding.

OK - more nonsense!

THe biggest killer of humans is the mosquito - millions of people a year.

another major killer is the dog.....these are responsible for thousands of deaths.....the numbers killed by wild animals, snakes elephants and sharks etc are minute in comparison.

Tourists in general need to take a lot of the blame, as they are the ones creating the demand. They should stay well away from chained up animals like elephants, tigers, bears, etc. It's very cruel to treat animals this way for the amusement of tourists. And shame on all the tourists that perpetuate these cruelties. The cruelty is often obvious to see, bit most tourists just don't care, as long as they get their precious photo.

So you want to ban horse racing ?

It is difficult to end it all overnight. The only reason some of these animals are alive is because of tourists. These are massive attraction in Thailand and if everyone stopped going to see them, what on earth would be the elephant's fate?

What would Thialand's fate be if the stuff folk come to see was banned. We have a Temple with Tigers to fool around with, the Elephants and those poor ''creatures'' that must sit out side a shop all day breathing in exhaust fumes to be abused by a fat bloke, you going to do something about those poor souls ? Noooooooooo of course not. coffee1.gif

I guess the "fat bloke" who is breathing in the same air as the elephants might argue that giving a banana to an elephant is not abusing it. I guess the argument is that he is ignorantly causing an abuse to the elephant's life. Thais are into making money no matter how "immoral". If there was no demand from tourists to see elephants, then there would be no shows. Who do you blame? Maybe the Thais should take the moral ground and say "sorry, no elephants for you to see now...we think it is just not right"? If you want to stop it, make the tourists feel guilty. It is a bit like the ivory trade. Do you blame the hungry African or the Chinese who create the demand for the stuff?

Tourists in general need to take a lot of the blame, as they are the ones creating the demand. They should stay well away from chained up animals like elephants, tigers, bears, etc. It's very cruel to treat animals this way for the amusement of tourists. And shame on all the tourists that perpetuate these cruelties. The cruelty is often obvious to see, bit most tourists just don't care, as long as they get their precious photo.

So you want to ban horse racing ?

It is difficult to end it all overnight. The only reason some of these animals are alive is because of tourists. These are massive attraction in Thailand and if everyone stopped going to see them, what on earth would be the elephant's fate?

A ridiculous post.

Mahouts bring their animals to the city or tourist attractions because it's easy money. Certainly easier than growing bananas, watermelons and sugar cane back home in the hot farm fields to feed their animals.

I can't see it is "ridiculous". It is a valid point. I made this remark to another post which you would may say is contradictory. Actually, they both are legitimate points. "I guess the "fat bloke" who is breathing in the same air as the elephants might argue that giving a banana to an elephant is not abusing it. I guess the argument is that he is ignorantly causing an abuse to the elephant's life. Thais are into making money no matter how "immoral". If there was no demand from tourists to see elephants, then there would be no shows. Who do you blame? Maybe the Thais should take the moral ground and say "sorry, no elephants for you to see now...we think it is just not right"? If you want to stop it, make the tourists feel guilty. It is a bit like the ivory trade. Do you blame the hungry African or the Chinese who create the demand for the stuff?".

The problem is actually twofold. How do you stop the paid interest from tourists for elephants and if you could do so overnight, what fate would the elephants have in store?

Edited by SPIKECM

If you have domesticated wild animals in public, they should be some pretty dang high standards. Now no one is going to take responsibility, bunch of cowards, watch.

domesticated wild animals???

I'm appalled at the level of ignorance of some of the posts.......if this is how much "educated" people know about the plight of elephants what hope is there?

poor word choice, attacking my grammar is doing what exactly? feeding your? kinda shows poor character doesn't it? is my statement wrong or is this a d*ck swinging contest? how bout everyone agrees that you are hyper-intelligent and i am not on the same league as you and we get back to the subject. you win tough guy.
Grammar????

It's not your grammar I have a problem with......and I'm not"attacking" anything.

You don't seem to understand the difference between wild and domestic animals and yet your point of view seems to be based on this misunderstanding which I would suggest renders it pointless.

However,if you want a grammatical angle to it, my guess is it's an oxymoron.

OK girls, let's stop pulling each others' hair out and scratching eyeballs....allegedly this is an adult forum, accompanied by mature emotional levels, right? whistling.gif

The problem is actually twofold. How do you stop the paid interest from tourists for elephants and if you could do so overnight, what fate would the elephants have in store?

Send them back into the wilds in Khao Yai National Forest, and beef up Khao Yai's budget, the army of forest rangers, and enforcement to sustainable levels. But it all requires political will and backbone. Aye, matey, there's the rub.