The Russians, Revisited...

swissie

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO: It would help, if something like "Good Morning, Thank you, Have a nice day, etc.." Could be instilled to russian visitors as normal civilized bahaviour. Especially "thank-you"!

слова благодарности This, according to an online dictionary, is 'thank you' in Russian. Remember it Comrade. In a few years when Russian becomes the lingua franca in Pattaya, you might be considered less than civilised if you don't use it

sorry but that will never happen but thank for that I haven't laughed so hard for a long time

IMHO: It would help, if something like "Good Morning, Thank you, Have a nice day, etc.." Could be instilled to russian visitors as normal civilized bahaviour. Especially "thank-you"! слова благодарности This is 'thank you' in Russian. Remember it Comrade. In a few years when Russian becomes the lingua franca in Pattaya, you might be considered less than civilised if you don't use it Are you suggesting the Russians should learn English courteous expressions? Perhaps we should be learning Russian courtesies? So you want everyone else to reduce them self to have no manners treat everyone like crap never say Thank You or Please and just plain be and treat everyone like an Assh%le ? Lmao No Thanks

Edited by PoorSucker
removed wrong quote stamp

It's already getting where the street touts are using Russian first, ask questions later. What's a monolinguist (same same American) to do? Oh. Wait. Who wants to talk with street touts anyway? It's a feature!

Edited by Jingthing

I should have been more clear:

After living in Pattaya for 7 years between 1997 and 2004 I packed my bags and moved.

I haven't visited the place ever since.

Judging by the news and what my friends, who live there permanently, tell me, the things haven't improved.

And I did say "Most of the Western people", not "All the Farang".

I'd love to be proven wrong.

You do of course realise that most of the people posting in this forum live in Pattaya? You really should think twice before you post nonsense like this.

• Like 1

I think this item is actually worthy of a new thread, but I think I have exceeded my new Pattaya baht bus threads "quota" for the time being, so here goes.

There is a REAL issue with the way many Russian speaking people (no way of knowing if they are all actually Russian nationals) behave on baht buses!

Yes, there is a noticeable cultural difference easily observable to anyone who regularly rides the public transport system in Pattaya -- the baht bus system. I am sorry if some people might think this report comes off as "anti-Russian" as I really don't think so; I am talking about a clear pattern of my objective observations.

As a generality, many of them HOG multiple seats and seem completely oblivious that other people need/want to sit down even when their asses are right on their faces!

It's truly amazing.

In America, we would would ask, were you raised in a barn?

I realize a lot of Russians like to charter the buses as TAXIS, but when they board as a bus, they STILL often act as if they own the taxi!

The other day there was a side with FOUR people, easily room for one or even two more people (as regular riders know, a side with five is standard, a side with six is often done as well). A Russian man was hogging two seats and his womanly unit was to his left against the rear cab wall. The bus was moving rapidly and I had no choice but to sit between the couple or I would have fallen down. To make this more clear, yes, I SAT ON HIM because he wouldn't move! They could see me coming, they could see I was going for a seat, but they chose to make NO response. They looked truly shocked that another rider was claiming a seat he also was going to pay for. Like I was the rude one!

As some might recall, no, this is not the first time I have been put in situations where I am SITTING directly on Russian people, and clearly it won't be the last!

I am sorry, this kind of behavior is really common among the Russian speaking crowd here. I will continue to shock them by rightfully claiming my seats if there is possible space.

Might I suggest a different approach in such a situation?

A few simple words - Eezvenitay, mozhna ya cedeetcya? (Pardon me, may I sit down? Not precise, but close enough that they will understand what you are asking) - would likely have shocked the other riders equally, but with a far different result.

I suspect you would get smiles and an instant clearing way for you to take a seat. Might even offer you a piva. (a beer)...heh...

Pure speculation, but I can easily imagine how incidents such as this - and your response - are communicated to others when they get back home and as a result, the next tourists from the FSU arrive in Thailand with horror stories about how badly they will be treated by rude Westerners. They arrive ready to push back, and then we all pay a price in incivility.

I think this item is actually worthy of a new thread, but I think I have exceeded my new Pattaya baht bus threads "quota" for the time being, so here goes.

There is a REAL issue with the way many Russian speaking people (no way of knowing if they are all actually Russian nationals) behave on baht buses!

Yes, there is a noticeable cultural difference easily observable to anyone who regularly rides the public transport system in Pattaya -- the baht bus system. I am sorry if some people might think this report comes off as "anti-Russian" as I really don't think so; I am talking about a clear pattern of my objective observations.

As a generality, many of them HOG multiple seats and seem completely oblivious that other people need/want to sit down even when their asses are right on their faces!

It's truly amazing.

I realize a lot of Russians like to charter the buses as TAXIS, but when they board as a bus, they STILL often act as if they own the taxi!

The other day there was a side with FOUR people, easily room for one or even two more people (as regular riders know, a side with five is standard, a side with six is often done as well). A Russian man was hogging two seats and his womanly unit was to his left against the rear cab wall. The bus was moving rapidly and I had no choice but to sit between the couple or I would have fallen down. To make this more clear, yes, I SAT ON HIM because he wouldn't move! They could see me coming, they could see I was going for a seat, but they chose to make NO response. They looked truly shocked that another rider was claiming a seat he also was going to pay for. Like I was the rude one!

As some might recall, no, this is not the first time I have been put in situations where I am SITTING directly on Russian people, and clearly it won't be the last!

I am sorry, this kind of behavior is really common among the Russian speaking crowd here. I will continue to shock them by rightfully claiming my seats if there is possible space.

A few simple words - Eezvenitay, mozhna ya cedeetcya? (Pardon me, may I sit down? Not precise, but close enough that they will understand what you are asking) - would likely have shocked the other riders equally, but with a far different result.

I suspect you would get smiles and an instant clearing way for you to take a seat. Might even offer you a piva. (a beer)...heh...

Pure speculation, but I can easily imagine how incidents such as this - and your response - are communicated to others when they get back home and as a result, the next tourists from the FSU arrive in Thailand with horror stories about how badly they will be treated by rude Westerners. They arrive ready to push back, and then we all pay a price in incivility.

I think you are missing the point Jingthing is making. I too travel regularly on the Jomtien - Pattaya baht bus, getting on at Phratamnak. The passengers are mainly Russian. More often than not there are 3 of them sprawled out taking up 5 seats. Sometimes they actually sprawl out even more when they see someone about to get on. They know exactly what they are doing. They also have a good line in glaring in an intimidatory way at anyone who, like JT, challenges their ignorant and anti social behaviour. I too have learned that the JT approach is the only option open. The suggestion that this is somehow a problem caused by "Rude Westerners", is turning reality on it's head and is, quite frankly, laughable.

• Like 2

I think you are missing the point Jingthing is making. I too travel regularly on the Jomtien - Pattaya baht bus, getting on at Phratamnak. The passengers are mainly Russian. More often than not there are 3 of them sprawled out taking up 5 seats. Sometimes they actually sprawl out even more when they see someone about to get on. They know exactly what they are doing. They also have a good line in glaring in an intimidatory way at anyone who, like JT, challenges their ignorant and anti social behaviour. I too have learned that the JT approach is the only option open. The suggestion that this is somehow a problem caused by "Rude Westerners", is turning reality on it's head and is, quite frankly, laughable.

Exactly bloody right, comrade!

post-37101-0-77674500-1363155165_thumb.g

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

It's truly amazing.

What I suggested was a method that perhaps might achieve the desired result - a seat - without immediately escalating a situation to a stage where a fight was more than likely.

I live in close proximity to several hotels which cater, as far as I can tell, almost exclusively to tour groups from the former Soviet republics, the participants of which then populate the stores and restaurants in the area I also travel all over the area by baht bus, from Naklua to Jomtien, and have ridden many times where Russian speakers form the majority of the riders. Not once in any of those contacts have I ever experienced or witnessed the type of incidents that are written on these pages, often by the same few individuals, as happening every time they go into a Family Mart or ride a baht bus. On the contrary, most of the folks that I have spoken with are friendly and simply delighted to have the chance to come here for a holiday.

I find none of this laughable, but do see as humorous the apparent belief that people from Eastern Europe and/or the FSU saved up for what would be the trip of a lifetime for most of them, then traveled thousands of miles to come to Pattaya, for the sole purpose of picking a fight with a Westerner over a seat on a baht bus. That is certainly worth a chuckle...

By the time I would have spurted out that Russian phrase, which I don't know, I would have not only sat on that Russian man, I would have likely fallen down all over that group of Russians, injuring myself and possibly some of them. I think the cultural ambassador failed to digest my description of the incident the short time frame in question as the bus WITHOUT RAILS was rapidly accelerating. I also think it is absurd to expat western expats to learn Russian in Thailand. I think it's fair to say expats should learn some Thai and those that don't are lazy, but Russian? NYET!

Edited by Jingthing

By the time I would have spurted out that Russian phrase, which I don't know, I would have not only sat on that Russian man, I would have likely fallen down all over that group of Russians, injuring myself and possibly some of them. I think the cultural ambassador failed to digest my description of the incident the short time frame in question as the bus WITHOUT RAILS was rapidly accelerating. I also think it is absurd to expat western expats to learn Russian in Thailand. I think it's fair to say expats should learn some Thai and those that don't are lazy, but Russian? NYET!

Then say it in English - a good number of them will understand, and those who don't speak even minimal English will be able to figure out what you are asking.

Far better to be a bit polite than sitting on someone and risk an escalation to violence. If someone sat on me on a baht bus, they would be on the floor about a half second after their ass hit my knees, and they would be having some difficulty breathing.

There is an old saying: If someone goes looking for a fight, they will find one, sooner or later. The only variable will be the result.

Then say it in English - a good number of them will understand, and those who don't speak even minimal English will be able to figure out what you are asking.

Far better to be a bit polite than sitting on someone and risk an escalation to violence. If someone sat on me on a baht bus, they would be on the floor about a half second after their ass hit my knees, and they would be having some difficulty breathing.

There is an old saying: If someone goes looking for a fight, they will find one, sooner or later. The only variable will be the result.

There was no time to talk in any language in this scenario which you still clearly intentionally refuse to digest. Of course I normally do speak if there is time, and there probably usually is time. The other time I DID speak to two Russian ladies and they ignored me so I sat down anyway, and I would do it again. In that case, I sat on BOTH of them, two who were taking three spaces. I do think the body language of APPROACHING the seats should usually be enough, but as far as speaking, people really do not need to be speaking the same language, the body language of approaching the clear space plus speaking at people in ANY language should be quite enough for any reasonably civilized person to open up the space. I am talking now about situations where there is a clear HOGGING of multiple spaces. Situations where people really need to SQUEEZE are really different, and I would not and would not suggest just sitting on people who are not hogging spaces. Often people will voluntarily squeeze in such cases, but that is definitely not something that should be forced.

You say you would fight. Interesting. Are you the type that would blatantly hog two spaces and not yield when someone was obviously approaching? I think most western people would.

Edited by Jingthing

Wouldn't that depend on who's sitting on your knee? I don't think too many people would be taking it that seriously. With a bit of luck Jingthing will not have to risk sitting on you.laugh.png

BTW, the English phrase I would usually use is EXCUSE ME. In the case of the two Russian ladies double sit down, I also made a point of lowering my ass VERY SLOWLY. To my surprise, they still didn't budge so I got the experience of sitting on both of them (a personal record, though how you could sit on THREE Russians I can't yet imagine). They were pretty so probably thought I was perving on them.

Another twist on my own sitting on Russkies incidents is that they were positioned in a way that the only clear space was BETWEEN two Russians. I would always prefer to not split up people who are together, but the way they were sprawled left little choice. Of course as you might imagine, that makes the vibe much worse after the sitting down deed is done. blink.png

Edited by Jingthing

I should have been more clear:

After living in Pattaya for 7 years between 1997 and 2004 I packed my bags and moved.

I haven't visited the place ever since.

Judging by the news and what my friends, who live there permanently, tell me, the things haven't improved.

And I did say "Most of the Western people", not "All the Farang".

I'd love to be proven wrong.

No, you are correct. You left before the mass change in the demographics of Pattaya. In my observation, it began in earnest around 2008. Now, I hardly recognize the place. Yeah, same old stomping grounds, but a completely different vibe. And no, I don't like it either.

Wouldn't that depend on who's sitting on your knee? I don't think too many people would be taking it that seriously. With a bit of luck Jingthing will not have to risk sitting on you.laugh.png

Now there's an idea - free lap dances on the baht bus by comely Russian ladies. Could be a real business booster for the drivers and reduce the traffic congestion as guys would leave the cars at home and take the bus...heh...

There was no time to talk in any language in this scenario which you still clearly intentionally refuse to digest. Of course I normally do speak if there is time, and there probably usually is time. The other time I DID speak to two Russian ladies and they ignored me so I sat down anyway, and I would do it again. In that case, I sat on BOTH of them, two who were taking three spaces. I do think the body language of APPROACHING the seats should usually be enough, but as far as speaking, people really do not need to be speaking the same language, the body language of approaching the clear space plus speaking at people in ANY language should be quite enough for any reasonably civilized person to open up the space. I am talking now about situations where there is a clear HOGGING of multiple spaces. Situations where people really need to SQUEEZE are really different, and I would not and would not suggest just sitting on people who are not hogging spaces. Often people will voluntarily squeeze in such cases, but that is definitely not something that should be forced.

You say you would fight. Interesting. Are you the type that would blatantly hog two spaces and not yield when someone was obviously approaching? I think most western people would.

You do it your way, and I'll do it mine, and hopefully your way won't wind up in a manner that you don't want.

As has been amply demonstrated by many posts here, you seem to have a case of the ass at the number of Russian speakers now coming to Pattaya, and seem to go out of your way to exhibit your disapproval. Here's a clue - they ain't leaving, and in all likelihood will increase exponentially in the future, so you may as well get used to it.

And yes, I make room if needed - so would most people if you are polite about it. I often give up my seat where I see it is needed by someone and stand on the rail on the back of the bus.

• Like 1

You do it your way, and I'll do it mine, and hopefully your way won't wind up in a manner that you don't want.

As has been amply demonstrated by many posts here, you seem to have a case of the ass at the number of Russian speakers now coming to Pattaya, and seem to go out of your way to exhibit your disapproval. Here's a clue - they ain't leaving, and in all likelihood will increase exponentially in the future, so you may as well get used to it.

And yes, I make room if needed - so would most people if you are polite about it. I often give up my seat where I see it is needed by someone and stand on the rail on the back of the bus.

I am not happy about the Russian demographic domination, no. It might be some personal baggage for me as my grandparents fled from Russian dominated areas to save their lives. I would be much happier if it was a Chinese domination, as I love their food. Better yet, Mexicans, it would remind me of home, joking about that, obviously I could just move home if I needed that. But I'm not leaving either and I'm not learning Russian.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Spoke briefly with a nice ( apparently it exist) Russian guy, according to him a lot of his compatriot tourists are disenchanted here, they have been told by the travelers agency and travel magazines that nearly everybody was speaking of understanding Russian in Pattaya and that one could find Russian food nearly everywhere, these statements are illustrated by pictures of some shops and restaurants displaying their products in Thai and Russian.

You seem to be obsessed with talking about fighting and trying to show on here what a hard man you are. If three people on a bus are hogging five seats and make no attempt to move up and make room when somebody gets on, if that somebody tries to claim one of those five seats he is looking for a fight!? I suggest you go and stand in the queue for the return trip to Jomtien at South Pattaya, and watch what happens when the next bus in line arrives. Even Thais get elbowed out of the way, the queue is non existent as far as Russian passengers are concerned. Just about all of them do it. I must admit that my opinions are somewhat clouded by an incident nearly two years ago. I broke my wrist quite badly in two places and was encased in plaster up to my elbow. A few days after the accident i got on the bus at South Pattaya to travel back to Phratamnak, and sat at the back where i could hold on to the rail with my good hand, Two large Russian ladies got on behind me, and one of them stood on the running board and indicated with her hand that i should move up and let her sit there. I smiled politely and held up my plastered and slinged arm. She then actually kicked me in the back of my calf, not hard, more of a nudge, and indicated with her head that i should move up. I am totally non confrontational and non aggressive but on this occasion i saw red, returned the nudge and told her very loudly that this was Thailand, not Russia, she could either sit further up the bus or get off and wait for the next one. Even the wizened old Thai lady with glasses who supervises the loading of the buses gave a smile, which as any regular on this route will know must be a first! No doubt you would have given a polite wai and apologized for inconveniencing her by so inconsiderately breaking your wrist!

• Like 2

You seem to be obsessed with talking about fighting and trying to show on here what a hard man you are. If three people on a bus are hogging five seats and make no attempt to move up and make room when somebody gets on, if that somebody tries to claim one of those five seats he is looking for a fight!? I suggest you go and stand in the queue for the return trip to Jomtien at South Pattaya, and watch what happens when the next bus in line arrives. Even Thais get elbowed out of the way, the queue is non existent as far as Russian passengers are concerned. Just about all of them do it. I must admit that my opinions are somewhat clouded by an incident nearly two years ago. I broke my wrist quite badly in two places and was encased in plaster up to my elbow. A few days after the accident i got on the bus at South Pattaya to travel back to Phratamnak, and sat at the back where i could hold on to the rail with my good hand, Two large Russian ladies got on behind me, and one of them stood on the running board and indicated with her hand that i should move up and let her sit there. I smiled politely and held up my plastered and slinged arm. She then actually kicked me in the back of my calf, not hard, more of a nudge, and indicated with her head that i should move up. I am totally non confrontational and non aggressive but on this occasion i saw red, returned the nudge and told her very loudly that this was Thailand, not Russia, she could either sit further up the bus or get off and wait for the next one. Even the wizened old Thai lady with glasses who supervises the loading of the buses gave a smile, which as any regular on this route will know must be a first! No doubt you would have given a polite wai and apologized for inconveniencing her by so inconsiderately breaking your wrist!

Obsessed with fighting? Not at all...my days of engaging in occupations where violence was routinely necessary are well and truly behind me.

What I suggested was that a simple courteous phrase that might well have obtained the desired result - a seat - as an alternative to the deliberately provocative act of sitting on someone. It was fortunate that this did not happen in JT's case, but it could have easily gone the other way. If it had been me, I would have asked in Russian for space to sit down, and if that didn't work, I would simply stand on the back plate (which I actually prefer) or take another baht bus.

As I said to JT, you handle it your way, and I'll handle it mine.

Obsessed with fighting? Not at all...my days of engaging in occupations where violence was routinely necessary are well and truly behind me.

What I suggested was that a simple courteous phrase that might well have obtained the desired result - a seat - as an alternative to the deliberately provocative act of sitting on someone. It was fortunate that this did not happen in JT's case, but it could have easily gone the other way. If it had been me, I would have asked in Russian for space to sit down, and if that didn't work, I would simply stand on the back plate (which I actually prefer) or take another baht bus.

I already explained multiple times already that there was no time at all for any conversation, much less polite conversation. But you've got your (Russian?coffee1.gif ) orthodoxy you want to push, and facts about the actual incident don't factor into that.

Edited by Jingthing

I already explained multiple times already that there was no time at all for any conversation, much less polite conversation. But you've got your (Russian?coffee1.gif ) orthodoxy you want to push, and facts about the actual incident don't factor into that.

Yeah, that would have taken so much time to mouth six polite words...

"A Russian man was hogging two seats and his womanly unit was to his left against the rear cab wall. The bus was moving rapidly and I had no choice but to sit between the couple or I would have fallen down. To make this more clear, yes, I SAT ON HIM because he wouldn't move! They could see me coming, they could see I was going for a seat, but they chose to make NO response. They looked truly shocked that another rider was claiming a seat he also was going to pay for. Like I was the rude one!

I am sorry, this kind of behavior is really common among the Russian speaking crowd here. I will continue to shock them by rightfully claiming my seats if there is possible space."

You appear to have been looking for a confrontation, and further appear to revel in it. I think you were very fortunate that it did not further escalate and certainly hope that your luck continues.

As I said, you handle it your way, I'll handle it mine.

Your way seems to be refusing to believe my story. Your choice. There was no time. The bus was speeding up. There were no rails. It was sit down or fall down. Only an INSANE person would have chosen to fall down in that scenario. Yeah, handle it your way ...

Your way seems to be refusing to believe my story. Your choice. There was no time. The bus was speeding up. There were no rails. It was sit down or fall down. Only an INSANE person would have chosen to fall down in that scenario. Yeah, handle it your way ...

...so you're not going to take WaywardWind's advice and learn some polite Russian words?

• Like 1