Latest Developments on the Election Front

Jai Dee

To be honest this coming from the Guardian a very liberal leaning newspaper is well very surprising. :o

Not all journalists are stupid all the time. :D

But given the extreme nationalist tone of the speaches at the rallies surpassing even Thaksin's more pragmatic nationalism it is only a matter of time that especially the liberal media will find a certain conflict of interest with what they try to stand for.

Additionally, i believe that many members of the media do not enjoy being forced by the PAD nowadays to wear press passes with a huge PAD logo on them in order to work at the stage and have access to information. The media is generally rather touchy about issues of impartiality, and it is part of the code of conduct not to wear any obvious sign of allegiance with any political cause, regardless of personal believes and convictions.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I went behind the stage - to get a better angle - there's nothing particualry different there - same people. I haven't got even one look, let alone "farang get out".

Colpyat, your claims are unbelievable (unless you told them in their face they are xenophobic, right wing extremists, and two faced fashists - that's how you usually address them here).

PAD has grown from a core group of Sondhi's fans who went to see his show at Thammasat. As more and more people and groups joined, it evolved in what PAD is now, with five leaders and lots of support coming from all sectors of society. Two-three months ago they campainged separately but eventually decided to join hands for a common goal. They are all united in anti-Thaksin dirve, but not much else. Giles can't join PAD for ideological reasons, fair enough. I guess there are still some fringe groups who are anti Thaksin but don't want be seen as assosiating with PAD. Doesn't make them grey, just incompatible shades of white.

i think by now it is safe to say that the PAD and the Opposition Parties have failed to get the royal intervention they sought.

they, and their many supporters on this forum must now slowly come around to face reality, and allow the rest of thailand to continue life as normal.

i hope those who feel that they are not represented in government will uphold democracy and turn up in force to cast a No Vote this sunday.

i hope the Nation has learnt a lesson or two about press responsibility and about the long term benefits of maintaining neutrality.

i hope Thaksin has learnt a lesson or two about his moral responsibility to the country, and about tolerance of dissent.

i hope to wake up after the elections and thailand returns to the graceful, tolerant, peaceful and progressive country it is.

i know it would have matured that much more from the experience of these past months.

Yesterday I went behind the stage - to get a better angle - there's nothing particualry different there - same people. I haven't got even one look, let alone "farang get out".

Colpyat, your claims are unbelievable (unless you told them in their face they are xenophobic, right wing extremists, and two faced fashists - that's how you usually address them here).

Lucky you.

My offense that drew the comment was sitting quietly, and having a cigarette.

Seems that bodyodor, unbrushed teeth and noise pollution is perfectly acceptable during a demonstration, but a farang having a quiet smoke - oh how evil! :o

I MOVED around and no one said anything unfriendly. You were sitting quietly and were told to "get out". How unlucky indeed.

What did you go and sit there for, btw? Collecting anti-PAD information?

Were you "Colonel Pyat" on a secret mission?

I MOVED around and no one said anything unfriendly. You were sitting quietly and were told to "get out". How unlucky indeed.

What did you go and sit there for, btw? Collecting anti-PAD information?

Were you "Colonel Pyat" on a secret mission?

Yes, you outed me - i am James Bond working for Thaksin personally. :o

Other than that, i was observing. That is what i generally do.

Seen lots of two faced fashists? Right wing extremists? Got any pix cos I haven't seen any.

In fact the worst I've seen was the mat with Thaksin's face people are supposed to stomp on. There were not too many takers, most just quickly shuffled across, though one spat at it and another drove his motorbike across.

Not even good old effigy burning, or hanging, no coffins either.

Simply amazing that no one among the many members of the Thaivisa community attending any rally has had the same shared experience as Colpyat or anything resembling it. :D

I reckon your next step of character assasination will be expressing your doubts of me living in Thailand, or ever having visited Thailand. Isn't that the way how this is done on internet forums? :o

Seen lots of two faced fashists? Right wing extremists? Got any pix cos I haven't seen any.

In fact the worst I've seen was the mat with Thaksin's face people are supposed to stomp on. There were not too many takers, most just quickly shuffled across, though one spat at it and another drove his motorbike across.

Not even good old effigy burning, or hanging, no coffins either.

I saw some photos in the Daily News last week of PAD supporters burning 2 coffins representing Thaksin and his wife..... :o

PM cancelled appearance on state TV program to prevent accusations of resorting to state media for up coming elex.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawat has returned to Bangkok, after deciding not to appear in the Krong Satanakarn (กรองสถานการณ์) program, for fear of criticisms that he used state media before the election.

After a two-day short vacation in Chiang Mai, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawat and his son, Panthongtae Shinnawat (พานทองแท้ ชินวัตร), traveled back to Bangkok last night. Prime Minister Thaksin said that initially, he planned to stay in Chiang Mai longer because he was scheduled to appear on the Krong Satanakarn (กรองสถานการณ์) program. However, he said that he decided to cancel the program, because he was afraid he may be attacked for using state media before the election. He added that the Thai Rak Thai party will not have a grand gathering at Lumpini (ลุมพินี) park to avoid confrontation with the protestors.

The Prime Minister added that the businessmen, who are waiting to hear about the government’s economic policies, will have to wait after the April 2nd election. Commenting on the protests in front of Siam Paragon, the premier said that he was informed of the demonstrations, which have caused trouble for the people and business.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 March 2006

One possible interpretation of this story! 'Those 3 woman shop-keepers ran me out of BKK and now if I can just avoid the press for 48 more hours .......'

To be honest this coming from the Guardian a very liberal leaning newspaper is well very surprising. :o

Not all journalists are stupid all the time. :D

But given the extreme nationalist tone of the speaches at the rallies surpassing even Thaksin's more pragmatic nationalism it is only a matter of time that especially the liberal media will find a certain conflict of interest with what they try to stand for.

Additionally, i believe that many members of the media do not enjoy being forced by the PAD nowadays to wear press passes with a huge PAD logo on them in order to work at the stage and have access to information. The media is generally rather touchy about issues of impartiality, and it is part of the code of conduct not to wear any obvious sign of allegiance with any political cause, regardless of personal believes and convictions.

Strangely none of that was mentioned in the UK article. It is also VERY common to vette Media and distribute proprietary passes to give them access to back areas and the bosses.

But cool!

I saw some photos in the Daily News last week of PAD supporters burning 2 coffins representing Thaksin and his wife.....

That's what I am talking about - angry mob burns coffins of Thaksin and his children. Nothing like that yesterday. Perhaps the desire to burn and destroy anything is not that strong.

That's what I am talking about - angry mob burns coffins of Thaksin and his children. Nothing like that yesterday. Perhaps the desire to burn and destroy anything is not that strong.

And maybe the police has given clear orders that open fires in the rather enclosed area under the expressway are a risk to crowd control and not to be undertaken anymore.

Lots of possibilities...

PM returns to work at the Government House

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has returned to work at the Government House.

This morning, the premier arrived at his residence in Jarun Sanitwong 69. Sources said PM Thaksin wanted to stay low-profile at the moment. Field reporters were told by security forces at his residence that PM Thaksin stayed at his house until at 10.40 hours, and then left for the Government House. The media was already waiting for the premier at his work place.

However, the premier still refused to talk to the media, while the press members were not allowed into the premises.

i think by now it is safe to say that the PAD and the Opposition Parties have failed to get the royal intervention they sought.

they, and their many supporters on this forum must now slowly come around to face reality, and allow the rest of thailand to continue life as normal.

It's unlikely there will be any intervention now, before the elections. It's rather unthinkable. Calls for the intervention will intensify after the elections that will not bring any semblance of normalcy.

I can't really think what will southerners do if Thaksin decides to convene the house in which 20-30 southern constituencies are not represented at all. THEY can turn violent, if you believe in stereotypes and that sort of thing.

Simply amazing that no one among the many members of the Thaivisa community attending any rally has had the same shared experience as Colpyat or anything resembling it. :D

I reckon your next step of character assasination will be expressing your doubts of me living in Thailand, or ever having visited Thailand. Isn't that the way how this is done on internet forums? :o

Let's settle down everyone please... :D

A gentle reminder to everyone from the Forum Rules:

Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger.

Now can we please get back on topic? :D

INTERVIEW-Political mess only result of Thai poll -opposition

By Ed Cropley

BANGKOK, March 30 (Reuters) - A political mess is the only

certain outcome of Thailand's snap April 2 election, which

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had hoped would scupper a

campaign to oust him, opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said

on Thursday.

With the three main opposition parties boycotting the poll, up

to 30 of parliament's 500 seats would remain empty, Abhisit

said, making it unconstitutional for Thaksin's unopposed Thai

Rak Thai (Thais Love Thais) party to form a government.

The ensuing confusion could eventually end up before the

Constitutional Court, meaning no quick fix to a seven-month

political crisis that has hit the stock market and economic

forecasts, the Democrat party chief told Reuters in an

interview.

"All it shows is that there are still many problems ahead

even after April 2nd, and Thaksin's legitimacy will still be

questioned," said the 41-year-old, who became head of

Thailand's oldest party after a crushing election defeat in

February 2005.

Based on the results of that poll, in which Thaksin won 377

seats in parliament, some analysts are predicting a far greater

constitutional vacuum, with as many as 60 seats left empty.

Thai law says that in uncontested seats, candidates must still

win a minimum of 20 percent of the total eligible vote, and

that all 500 parliamentary seats must be filled to make a

government.

"The electoral commission will first have to deal with

that. Are they going to announce there are only maybe 470, 480

MPs? Or are they going to keep holding elections till those

seats are filled? We don't know," Abhisit said.

Street campaigners have kept up daily protests against

Thaksin, whom they accuse of cronyism and abuse of power, but

the Democrats have been reluctant to join in, urging Thais

instead to register disapproval by ticking the "abstain" box on

ballots.

As for post-election strategy, Eton and Oxford-educated

Abhisit appears -- like many in Thailand -- to be adopting a

"wait and see" approach.

"We'll watch for irregularities and fraud and then look at

the various movements made by the Electoral Commission, by the

government or even possibly the Constitution Court," he said.

However, in a country with a long and relatively recent

history of military coups, Abhisit said he was reassured all

sides appeared to be eschewing street violence -- the one

factor that could trigger the army to wade in.

"The country has shown a much greater degree of maturity

from what we have seen in the last two months. All sides have

been keen to ensure there's no violence," he said.

"I think that's a good sign, although of course as

situations become tense, there's always a danger. But I think

we should admire and give credit to all sides -- demonstrators,

police and the military."

REUTERS

300824 Mrz 06

ENDOFMSG

EGAT labor Union submitted a letter demanding PM and his cabinet members to withdraw their political roles

The President of the Labor Union of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT), Mr. Sirichai Mai-ngarm (ศิริชัย ไม้งาม), has submitted a letter demanding Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his Cabinet members to show their responsibilities, following the failure of EGAT's privatization.

In regard to the Administrative Court’s withdrawal of the two royal decrees which support the privatization of EGAT, Mr. Srichai has led his members to the Government House so as to demand the premier to resign from his post as he has caused damage to the country and EGAT employees.

It's unlikely there will be any intervention now, before the elections. It's rather unthinkable. Calls for the intervention will intensify after the elections that will not bring any semblance of normalcy.

I can't really think what will southerners do if Thaksin decides to convene the house in which 20-30 southern constituencies are not represented at all. THEY can turn violent, if you believe in stereotypes and that sort of thing.

One can expect that they will seek Royal intervention after the elections, but next time most probably submit the name(s) of a possible successor as well. As that person will have to be someone that all are in agreement with and that person will have had to agree beforehand, this may take some time. It most probably won't be someone who is a leader from one of the Opposition parties or a current leader of the PAD.

huh? if there is a royally appointed caretaker PM .. it will likely be a member of the Privy council ... or TRT ... but they won't announce anything except if they announce it with a timeframe for REAL elections

I doubt they will come to the King with a name.

The way things develop the election will not produce any definite result for a long time, and that's not even taking into account PAD's petitions, just formalities - by-elections and investigation in fraud complaints.

That will leave Thailand without a government for many months, without even the caretaker government, I should think.

The most important even in the coming months is celebrations of 60-year on throne anniversary and having no governement in place is a big loss of face for the country.

I don't think it's right to ask HM to appoint a PM who'd oversee celebrations in his honor. The name should come from Privy Concil, I think, not the King himself.

huh? if there is a royally appointed caretaker PM .. it will likely be a member of the Privy council ... or TRT ... but they won't announce anything except if they announce it with a timeframe for REAL elections

Should Royal Intervention occur, I don't purport to know who they would decide on. While I believe a Privy Councelor would be the most acceptable to the PAD and Opposition parties, they obviously can make no such request. However, it can be expected that their next request for Royal Intervention will not be exactly the same as the one before. Hence, a name put forward of someone very highly respected.

The EC has been ordered to inform people that they can use both pens and rubber stamps in this election.

The Central Administrative Court said that the Election Commission (EC) can campaign for the people to inform them that they can use both pens and rubber stamps in this election.

The Supreme Court has prohibited the EC not to provide only rubber stamps in the vote-casting boxes, but said that they can provide both the rubber stamps and pens in the boxes to provide convenience for the voters. The Court also said that the EC can campaign for the people to use rubber stamps or pens to cast their votes.

The order followed a lawsuit by director of the AIDS Access and member of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) Nimit Tien-udom (นิมิตร์ เทียนอุดม) asking for the court to annul the EC resolution to have voters use rubber stamps or pens in the election, but providing only rubber stamps in the vote-casting boxes.

The complaint also added that the EC’s campaign focuses on the use of rubber stamps, confusing the people that only the use of rubber stamps is allowed. Mr. Nimit said in the complaint that the practice may cause serious damage to the election.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 31 March 2006

Lese Majeste charges against PM and DPM Wisanu have been dropped.

The Attorney-general decided to drop lese-majeste charges against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawat and Deputy Prime Minister Wisanu Krua-ngarm (วิษณุ เครืองาม) on the subject of organizing a merit-making ceremony at the Temple of Emerald Buddha.

A complaint was filed with the commander of the Royal Thai Police, accusing the premier and his deputy of lese majeste for performing a merit-making ceremony at the Temple of Emerald Buddha on April 10, 2005. Spokesperson of the Attorney-general Office Attapol Yaisawang (อรรถพล ใหญ่สว่าง) said that the attorney on criminal cases has decided to drop lese majeste charges against Prime Minister Thaksin and Mr. Wisanu. He said that the attorney will refer the case back to the police chief, according to Article 145 of the Criminal Code.

The Interior Ministry invites the people and local communities to cast their votes in this Sunday election

The Interior Ministry invites the people and local communities to cast their votes in this Sunday election, while officials said they are prepared for the election.

Deputy Interior Minister Somchai Sunthornwat (สมชาย สุนทรวัฒน์) said that provincial governors and the Department of Community Development have been ordered to campaign for the people and local networks to cast their votes, to reduce the number of invalid ballots and election frauds.

Director-general of the Department of Provincial Administration Charnchai Sunthornramat (ชาญชัย สุนทรมัฏฐ์) said that the preparation for the upcoming election is now ready, adding that the main mission now is to campaign for the people to vote this Sunday. He said that he is not worried about the election, especially in the three southernmost provinces, adding that elections in Bangkok areas will not see any chaos as the protestors will halt their demonstrations temporarily.

Mr. Charan has demanded every unit to implement their action in line with the constitution law

A Committee member of the National Human Rights Commission, Mr. Charan Ditapichai (จรัญ ดิษฐาอภิชัย), has demanded all units to take their actions under the framework of the constitutional laws, while they must not violate other people rights.

He said that even though people have their rights to hold demonstrations according to Article 44 of the Constitution, but they should not infringe other people rights. He said that he disagrees with the pro-government protesters’ blockade at the Kom Chad Luek headquarters and the anti-government’s inspection at the Office of the Election Commission (EC). He deems that the actions had violated public rights.

Mr. Charan has also requested the demonstrators to halt their actions which might lead to national disunity.

These are the "fanatics" you are talking about. Scared now? Any moment they might break into violence - smash the windows, overturn cars, torch buildings.... Separated from reality? Who?

I don't know if was them, but the ones who have shouted at me today "Farang Get Out!" i thought slightly fanatic.

I said, by the way, "behind the stage", not "in front of the stage", that means where the leaders and their hangers-on plot and congregate.

The only fantic action i seen so far is from the violence cause by TRT susporters IE Chiang Mai Democratic Ralley

Thai PM vows to ride out political storm

BANGKOK, March 31, 2006 (AFP) - Prime Minister Thaksin

Shinawatra vowed Friday to ride out the political turmoil engulfing

Thailand, two days before elections called as a referendum on his

leadership.

In an interview with the BBC, the embattled premier said the

result of Sunday's poll, called three years early in a bid to end a

political crisis sparked by allegations of corruption, was in the

hands of the electors.

"My whole life, I am very good at riding over a storm -- for

many times already in my life. So why not another time?" he said,

when asked if he was confident of riding out the crisis.

"In a democratic society, you have a general election to return

power to the people. Let the people decide... When the majority of

people want you to be out, then you are out. When they want you to

be in, then you have to work for them. That is democracy," he said.

The main opposition parties are boycotting the polls, leaving

Thaksin's ruling Thai Rak Thai (Thais Love Thais) party virtually

unchallenged for the 500 lower house seats.

"This time, with the opposition boycott, it doesn't mean that we

will get 100 percent (of the votes) anyway. There will be some 'no'

votes," he said.

The crisis was set off by his family's 1.9 billion dollar

tax-free sale of stock in Shin Corp, the telecoms giant he founded

before entering politics.

But Thaksin defended the sale, saying he had not owned any

shares in the company since before he entered public office.

"It belongs to my children and my cousin. Whatever they decide,

it's their decision. ... I don't get involved," he said.

shi/sdm/jah

AFP 310525 GMT MAR 06

Opponents of Thailand's PM make final bid to disqualify him

from weekend election

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ Leaders of Thailand's

anti-government movement made a last-ditch effort to expel

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra from weekend elections,

saying Friday he has used state funds to finance his

campaign among other violations of electoral law. «This is

our last hope of blocking Thaksin from the election,» said

Suriyasai Katasila, a spokesman for the anti-Thaksin

movement. «Our charges clearly show that Thaksin violated