1 Pound + 44.99 Baht

i fear when they start trading on mon.the £ will be lower,down against the euro and dollar since close of play[thai.] so we might see 43-cash,44-tt.

l.s.d ended 1970

If that date is in response to my date of 1967, remember that not only the UK used Lsd. 10 July 1967, to be precise, was our changeover date.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming the THB Vs. US$ stay constant, then the Pound will be 42.6 baht by August.<br /><br />http://www.forecasts.org/pound.htm

It's been asked before, but how low can it go till expats living on imported money can no longer afford to stay? I wonder if anyone in the government has calculated the social cost if thousands of husbands have to leave their wives and children behind in LOS? Perhaps it's time to make it easier to stay, by reducing visa costs etc. They increased the costs when the ex rate was higher, so perhaps it's time to face reality and change them back.

Your hope is forlorn. The THB is on an upward trajectory at this time and over the weekend rating agencies increased Thailands rating which will portend an increase in the THB.

The Thai government does not have much control over THB other than causing adverse effects in the economy which is undesirable.

Thai government does not care about expat survival in Thailand. Nor does the UK government or the currency speculator community care about expats in Thailand..

Edited by Denizen

Assuming the THB Vs. US$ stay constant, then the Pound will be 42.6 baht by August.<br /><br />http://www.forecasts.org/pound.htm

It's been asked before, but how low can it go till expats living on imported money can no longer afford to stay? I wonder if anyone in the government has calculated the social cost if thousands of husbands have to leave their wives and children behind in LOS? Perhaps it's time to make it easier to stay, by reducing visa costs etc. They increased the costs when the ex rate was higher, so perhaps it's time to face reality and change them back.

Your hope is forlorn. The THB is on an upward trajectory at this time and over the weekend rating agencies increased Thailands rating which will portend an increase in the THB.

The Thai government does not have much control over THB other than causing adverse effects in the economy which is undesirable.

Thai government does not care about expat survival in Thailand. Nor does the UK government or the currency speculator community care about expats in Thailand..

I know that the Thai govt. doesn't care about expats ( the immigration system is proof of that ), but I thought they MIGHT care about thousands of THAI spouses and children that may be abandoned. It's the government's job to look after its citizens, isn't it ( or is that only in Utopia )?

Well as one group of expats flee the scene the Thai Govt probably expects another flood to arrive with the next tourists season, its like an annual event so they would not even think about all the spouses and kids left in the lurch, its not their problem, lucky there is no welfare system in place to drain funds.

I know that the Thai govt. doesn't care about expats ( the immigration system is proof of that ), but I thought they MIGHT care about thousands of THAI spouses and children that may be abandoned. It's the government's job to look after its citizens, isn't it ( or is that only in Utopia )?

The government of Thailand is more interested in the welfare of the whole of Thailand not just one special interest group. I am not aware of any Thai government welfare system that will support abandoned expat spouses and children.

I expect that deserting expats will send money to the families they deserted.

When I were a spoolboy, we got 2 shillings pocket money for a week, a penny bought 4 wine gums and I could go to the filums for 9p.

But try and tell them that nowadays- they just won't believe you.

It was actually 9d .... UK money was pounds shillings and pence, initials L.s.d. from the latin "librae, solidi, denarii"

I stand corrected. We gave up Lsd in 1967, if I remember correctly, so excuse me if my memory fails me on that one.

The UK gave up pounds, shillings and pence and converted to decimal in February 1971, I remember because I got sent on a course - yes they sent me on a course to learn how to divide by ten.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

The government of Thailand is more interested in the welfare of the whole of Thailand not just one special interest group.

Oh, the rose-tinted glasses. In fact, the government of Thailand is precisely interested in the welfare of just one special interest group: itself.

As for the family issue, expats can work or have their wives work. Even a job as hotel maid should easily make up the difference. No need to use gov't revenues (my fees & taxes) to support some inconvenienced, irresponsible Brits who didn't take into account exchange rate fluctuations.

Edited by JSixpack

The government of Thailand is more interested in the welfare of the whole of Thailand not just one special interest group.

Oh, the rose-tinted glasses. In fact, the government of Thailand is precisely interested in the welfare of just one special interest group: itself.

As for the family issue, expats can work or have their wives work. Even a job as hotel maid should easily make up the difference. No need to use gov't revenues (my fees & taxes) to support some inconvenienced, irresponsible Brits who didn't take into account exchange rate fluctuations.

Work indeed! Please stop using four letter words that may be offensive to those of languid disposition and mind.

• Like 1

The date & time now is 2013-03-11 14:40:43 GMT. For ATM rates, select the TT currency type.

Bank Country Updated by bank Update

no. From To Rate Quantity

* rate Inverse

of rate Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-11 07:22 GBP50 THB 44.5 44.5 0.022472 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-11 07:22 GBP20-5 THB 44.4 44.4 0.022523 Chart Bank of Ayudhya Thailand 2013-03-11 10:07 6 GBP THB 43.68 43.68 0.022894 Chart Bangkok Bank Thailand 2013-03-11 01:30 1 GBP THB 43.67 43.67 0.022899 Chart Kasikorn Bank Thailand 2013-03-11 06:48 2 GBP THB 43.66938 43.669 0.022899 Chart UOB Thailand 2013-03-10 17:00 3 GBP THB 43.63 43.63 0.02292 Chart Government Savings Bank Thailand 2013-03-11 01:36 1 GBP THB 43.61 43.61 0.022931 Chart Thanachart Bank Thailand 2013-03-11 10:04 4 GBP THB 43.6 43.6 0.022936 Chart Krung Thai Bank Thailand 2013-03-11 09:07 GBP THB 43.6 43.6 0.022936 Chart Siam Commercial Bank Thailand 2013-03-11 07:06 GBP THB 43.535 43.535 0.02297 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-11 07:22 GBPS THB 43.5 43.5 0.022989 Chart TMB Thailand 2013-03-11 09:16 6 GBP THB 42.38 42.38 0.023596 Chart

Percentage difference between minimum and maximum exchange rates above = 5%

Average bank exchange rate from data above: 1 GBP = 43.647865 THB

The date & time now is 2013-03-11 14:40:43 GMT. For ATM rates, select the TT currency type.

* rate Inverse

of rate Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-11 07:22 GBP50 THB 44.5 44.5 0.022472 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-11 07:22 GBP20-5 THB 44.4 44.4 0.022523 Chart Bank of Ayudhya Thailand 2013-03-11 10:07 6 GBP THB 43.68 43.68 0.022894 Chart Bangkok Bank Thailand 2013-03-11 01:30 1 GBP THB 43.67 43.67 0.022899 Chart Kasikorn Bank Thailand 2013-03-11 06:48 2 GBP THB 43.66938 43.669 0.022899 Chart UOB Thailand 2013-03-10 17:00 3 GBP THB 43.63 43.63 0.02292 Chart Government Savings Bank Thailand 2013-03-11 01:36 1 GBP THB 43.61 43.61 0.022931 Chart Thanachart Bank Thailand 2013-03-11 10:04 4 GBP THB 43.6 43.6 0.022936 Chart Krung Thai Bank Thailand 2013-03-11 09:07 GBP THB 43.6 43.6 0.022936 Chart Siam Commercial Bank Thailand 2013-03-11 07:06 GBP THB 43.535 43.535 0.02297 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-11 07:22 GBPS THB 43.5 43.5 0.022989 Chart TMB Thailand 2013-03-11 09:16 6 GBP THB 42.38 42.38 0.023596 Chart

Percentage difference between minimum and maximum exchange rates above = 5%

Average bank exchange rate from data above: 1 GBP = 43.647865 THB

Its the worst I have known in my short time here but things are what they are and we have to adapt.

I think most people dont think too much about exchange rate fluctuations until they actually experience them, then they take note and remember that things can go up and down. I always thought when things were near 50 for a good while well maybe on a bad day lets work things out on 45. 50 is a nice figure to work out things on, sub 44 is below my wildest thoughts, well i just have to adapt same as everyone else and like everyone else hope that the rate starts to rise in the near future, the UK budget is a week or so away maybe there will be something there that may make a change, had some nice noodles todaywai.gif

the UK budget is a week or so away maybe there will be something there that may make a change,

Doubt it but the rice scam will at some stage. Minimum net loss on that has got to be 200 Billion even if it's all still there, still in perfect shape and it's sold at the price paid for it in the first place. 200 Billion 'spent' with zero to show for it is going to put a dent in the economy of some size.

You seem to be spectacularly missing the point here,if Thailand is one of the world's biggest exporters of rice,how much must the overbought Baht be hurting what I'm sure is one of their biggest exports and a large percentage of Thailand's GDP?

In fact,anything that Thailand exports,motorbikes,cars will be adversely affected by the strength of the Thai Baht.Thailand's account deficit as of January 2013 is USD -$2337 million,a record all time low,meaning they are exporting far more than they are importing right now

Banks trade currencies overnight,I'm sure you've heard of Overnight Interest Rates?Central Banks also use these same overnight interest rates to control currencies that are over or under bought.The benchmark interest rate in Thailand was last recorded at 2.75 percent.The Overnight Interest Rate in Thailand is reported by the Bank of Thailand,they could cut this to weaken their currency but seem unwilling to do so,following their catastrophic devaluation of the Baht that started the Asian Financial Crisis back in 1997!

It seems it's not just bar girls that are either 0% or 100% and nothing in between but the Finance Ministry also,why am I not surprised?

You seem to be spectacularly missing the point here,if Thailand is one of the world's biggest exporters of rice,how much must the overbought Baht be hurting what I'm sure is one of their biggest exports and a large percentage of Thailand's GDP?

In fact,anything that Thailand exports,motorbikes,cars will be adversely affected by the strength of the Thai Baht.Thailand's account deficit as of January 2013 is USD -$2337 million,a record all time low,meaning they are exporting far more than they are importing right now

Banks trade currencies overnight,I'm sure you've heard of Overnight Interest Rates?Central Banks also use these same overnight interest rates to control currencies that are over or under bought.The benchmark interest rate in Thailand was last recorded at 2.75 percent.The Overnight Interest Rate in Thailand is reported by the Bank of Thailand,they could cut this to weaken their currency but seem unwilling to do so,following their catastrophic devaluation of the Baht that started the Asian Financial Crisis back in 1997!

It seems it's not just bar girls that are either 0% or 100% and nothing in between but the Finance Ministry also,why am I not surprised?

Rice exports are 12.37% of GDP.

According to Wikipedia the 1997 crisis cause was as follows:

"The crisis started in Thailand with the financial collapse of the Thai baht after the Thai government was forced to float the baht (due to lack of foreign currency to support its fixed exchange rate), cutting its peg to the U.S. dollar, after exhaustive efforts to support it in the face of a severe financial overextension that was in part real estate driven. At the time, Thailand had acquired a burden of foreign debt that made the country effectively bankrupt even before the collapse of its currency. [1] As the crisis spread, most of Southeast Asia and Japan saw slumping currencies,[2] devalued stock markets and other asset prices, and a precipitous rise in private debt.[3]."

In other words, government control of exchange rates caused the crisis. If the Baht had been free floating at that time it would have adjusted to market conditions. You are proposing that the government again control the Baht. I believe people would be frightened by the prospect of Peu Thai government attempting to control currency.

It's not going to happen. The speculators will flock to Thai Baht betting against the government.

Just had the BBC iplayer on and listening to Radio 5live and it appears Brits are just awakening to the fact that Sterling is going down the toilet. A queue of importers on all complaining about imports are now going to be expensive, especially wine. A currency trader export added his two pence and there's not enough space in this box to list them, low int rates/fear of triple dip/QE/ snow in March etc etc.

Just had the BBC iplayer on and listening to Radio 5live and it appears Brits are just awakening to the fact that Sterling is going down the toilet. A queue of importers on all complaining about imports are now going to be expensive, especially wine. A currency trader export added his two pence and there's not enough space in this box to list them, low int rates/fear of triple dip/QE/ snow in March etc etc.

It's time for a stiffening of the upper lip and girding of the loins. Is there a country that needs to be bombed?

In other words, government control of exchange rates caused the crisis. If the Baht had been free floating at that time it would have adjusted to market conditions. You are proposing that the

government again control the Baht. I believe people would be frightened by the prospect of Peu Thai government attempting to control currency.

It's not going to happen. The speculators will flock to Thai Baht betting against the government.

there's no way for speculators to bet pro or contra Baht as it was possible in 1997. one specific restriction concerning offshore Baht prevents that. unrestricted is still the flow of foreign currency which buys Thai stocks and props up the Baht.

Surely the logical move to improve finances is to abandon the family and hide out in Pattaya. Edited by yoshiwara
  • Like 1

Rice exports are 12.37% of GDP. According to Wikipedia the 1997 crisis cause was as follows: "The crisis started in [/size]Thailand with the financial collapse of the [/size]Thai baht after the Thai government was forced to [/size]float the baht (due to lack of foreign currency to support its fixed exchange rate), cutting its [/size]peg to the [/size]U.S. dollar, after exhaustive efforts to support it in the face of a severe financial overextension that was in part real estate driven. At the time, Thailand had acquired a burden of [/size]foreign debt that made the country effectively bankrupt even before the collapse of its currency. [/size][1] As the crisis spread, most of [/size]Southeast Asia and [/size]Japan saw slumping currencies,[/size][2] devalued stock markets and other asset prices, and a precipitous rise in [/size]private debt.[/size][3]."In other words, government control of exchange rates caused the crisis. If the Baht had been free floating at that time it would have adjusted to market conditions. You are proposing that the government again control the Baht. I believe people would be frightened by the prospect of Peu Thai government attempting to control currency. It's not going to happen. The speculators will flock to Thai Baht betting against the government.

As I said,rice is one of Thailand's biggest exports,over 12% of GDP!Also,unpegging the Baht from the USD was an effective devaluation,again,as I said!

Using interest rates to control currencies is an effective and completely natural way to weaken the Thai Baht,market forces will decide how much by,once again,as I said!

Speculators will short the Baht once interest rates ate cut,knowing it will fall and hey presto,you have a self-fulfilling prophecy!No speculators are going to buy the Baht and attempt to prop it up on the back of a cut in rates by 50 or 100 basis points,they would lose their money.

You really are very good at missing the point,aren't you?

Well the USD today hits 29.49 against the Baht

Only the 2nd time in 10 years & now equals low 29.49

over the last 10 years set on Nov 8th 2010

PS: Using Best TT rate for today

Edited by mania

Rice exports are 12.37% of GDP. According to Wikipedia the 1997 crisis cause was as follows: "The crisis started in [/size]Thailand with the financial collapse of the [/size]Thai baht after the Thai government was forced to [/size]float the baht (due to lack of foreign currency to support its fixed exchange rate), cutting its [/size]peg to the [/size]U.S. dollar, after exhaustive efforts to support it in the face of a severe financial overextension that was in part real estate driven. At the time, Thailand had acquired a burden of [/size]foreign debt that made the country effectively bankrupt even before the collapse of its currency. [/size][1] As the crisis spread, most of [/size]Southeast Asia and [/size]Japan saw slumping currencies,[/size][2] devalued stock markets and other asset prices, and a precipitous rise in [/size]private debt.[/size][3]."In other words, government control of exchange rates caused the crisis. If the Baht had been free floating at that time it would have adjusted to market conditions. You are proposing that the government again control the Baht. I believe people would be frightened by the prospect of Peu Thai government attempting to control currency. It's not going to happen. The speculators will flock to Thai Baht betting against the government.

As I said,rice is one of Thailand's biggest exports,over 12% of GDP!Also,unpegging the Baht from the USD was an effective devaluation,again,as I said!

Using interest rates to control currencies is an effective and completely natural way to weaken the Thai Baht,market forces will decide how much by,once again,as I said!

Speculators will short the Baht once interest rates ate cut,knowing it will fall and hey presto,you have a self-fulfilling prophecy!No speculators are going to buy the Baht and attempt to prop it up on the back of a cut in rates by 50 or 100 basis points,they would lose their money.

You really are very good at missing the point,aren't you?

There is a like minded guy to yourself who is running UK fiscal and monetary policy right now. Look where that got UK and the GBP.

there's no way to short the Baht because of a certain restriction the Bank of Thailand introduced with Measure No. 33/2003 (Additional Measure to Prevent Thai Baht Speculation), which came into effect in October 2003 affecting the holdings of Thai Baht currency in offshore banks

-Maintaining THB accounts in Thailand for settlement purposes only, where settlement
means the settlement of securities transactions and cash payment transactions. The exception is for deposits of a tenor of at least 6 months or more.

-Forfeiture of credit interest on its accounts (other than deposits of a tenor of at least 6 months or more)

-Ensuring that the aggregated end of day balances for cash accounts with all financial institutions in Thailand do not exceed THB 300 million (the “Daily THB Limit”)

-Imposition of deposit charge on THB account balances.

based on these restrictions i was informed by my bank years ago:

Accordingly, at any time that you are holding a position in THB, we reserve the right in our absolute discretion and without prior notice to you toconvert your position of THB, in whole or part, into United States dollars at the prevailing spot rate.

The date & time now is 2013-03-12 14:53:58 GMT. For ATM rates, select the TT currency type.

* rate Inverse

of rate Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-12 09:38 GBP50 THB 44.4 44.4 0.022523 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-12 09:38 GBP20-5 THB 44.3 44.3 0.022573 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-12 09:38 GBPS THB 43.5 43.5 0.022989 Chart Krung Thai Bank Thailand 2013-03-12 09:23 GBP THB 43.45 43.45 0.023015 Chart Bank of Ayudhya Thailand 2013-03-12 10:10 7 GBP THB 43.43 43.43 0.023026 Chart UOB Thailand 2013-03-11 17:00 5 GBP THB 43.42 43.42 0.023031 Chart Bangkok Bank Thailand 2013-03-12 08:30 4 GBP THB 43.41 43.41 0.023036 Chart Kasikorn Bank Thailand 2013-03-12 01:51 3 GBP THB 43.39109 43.391 0.023046 Chart Thanachart Bank Thailand 2013-03-12 08:56 5 GBP THB 43.33 43.33 0.023079 Chart Government Savings Bank Thailand 2013-03-12 01:58 2 GBP THB 43.3 43.3 0.023095 Chart Siam Commercial Bank Thailand 2013-03-12 09:42 GBP THB 43.09375 43.094 0.023205 Chart TMB Thailand 2013-03-12 09:18 7 GBP THB 42.19 42.19 0.023702 Chart

Percentage difference between minimum and maximum exchange rates above = 5.24%

Average bank exchange rate from data above: 1 GBP = 43.43457 THB

• Like 1

Its now 43. Dropped so fast. My bro a london city boy says 40 is definately on the cards

Not many 'fires' that can be stoked at the moment so Thailand is getting lots of it. I'm being told 39 - 38.5 before everyone does a runner.

Its now 43. Dropped so fast. My bro a london city boy says 40 is definately on the cards

Not many 'fires' that can be stoked at the moment so Thailand is getting lots of it. I'm being told 39 - 38.5 before everyone does a runner.

I'll believe that when I see photographic/video proof. Lots of talk in this and the other threads around the whole 'abandon ship' idea, but talk is cheap. Even if you have to live on Mama Noodles and Singha for 6 months, its still going to be cheaper than relocating.

I watched it creep into 43.9 territory yesterday as Bangkok closed and London opened. It was only there for long enough for me to comment on it to my wife then it was back into 44.1 and this morning (BKK open, LON closed) we are seeing 44.2. I am still a believer in seeing 39-40 before the end of the year, but I also believe that is as far as it will travel. I believe that we won't be seeing 49-50 for another 2 years now. Time to think what it is that Thais want from England (Wayne Rooney might be affordable for some....he could be a gargoyle on a suitably hideous Hi-So property!).