N A S A Pulls Out Of Project To Study Climate Conditions In Thailand

webfact

NASA pulls out of project
Jutharat Tipnampa,
Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation

30201332-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) has decided not to continue its cooperation with Thai authorities in a research project to study climate conditions in Thailand, the US ambassador to Thailand said.

Ambassador Kristie Kenney confirmed yesterday that Nasa had decided to move the "Southeast Asia Composition, Cloud, Climate Coupling Regional Study" to another Southeast Asian nation.

"We have no plans for Nasa to work in Thailand at this time. This project was moved to another country and is already completed," she said.

"We can't say which country, but this year we have no plan for Nasa to work in Thailand," she said, adding that the US would be happy to collaborate with Thailand in the future.

Previously, Nasa had proposed that the U-t apao naval airbase be used as its research headquarters to study weather conditions in Thailand, but the Cabinet was unable to endorse its request by June last year and it ran out of time to make logistical preparations.

It was believed the project would help Thailand improve the knowledge and understanding of climate conditions in the Kingdom.

Meanwhile, Science Minister Woravat Auapinyakul said the government would comply with Nasa's decision to end its cooperation over climate research.

Worawat will also lead senior officials to the US later this month to sign a cooperation pact. He is scheduled to meet scientist Hal Maring and Matthew Koeppe from Nasa's Office of International and Inter-agency Relations on March 12.

He said he would wait and see if the US space agency wanted to change its decision. "I cannot say right now whether we will allow the US space agency to use our skies to conduct its research after it decided to set up base in another country,"

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-06

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

said the government would comply with Nasa's decision

As if they have a choice in the matter. wink.png

They might still lodge a protest with the embassy and demand for NASA to return or be compensated for the money they could have made smile.png

Now that would not surprise me a bit.

• Like 1

Not like Thailand to lose the opportunity of becoming another Hub.

The Thai government, and particularly Science Minister Woravat, have an inflated sense of their own importance. It appears to me that they didn't have enough time to work out how to "administer" NASA's money.

I expect land prices around U-Tapau will drop back to previous levels now.

"We have no plans for Nasa to work in Thailand at this time. This

project was moved to another country and is already completed,"

He said he would wait and see if the US space agency wanted to change

its decision. "I cannot say right now whether we will allow the US space

agency to use our skies to conduct its research after it decided to set

up base in another country,"

Lets cut off our nose to spite our own face. How childish!

It is about time for US to releases that Thai are playing both US and China and of course China is spending shxt load of money over here

And Thai care about money more than loyalty

• Like 2

Big Brother simply moved across a local border, offered some compensation and handouts and got what they wanted, the ability to monitor the Chinese. Weather monitoring? cheesy.gif

The US has been set up monitoring from Alice Springs Australia for many decades.

US officials a very well versed with doublespeak, as are other western nations,they pull the pin on projects generally when the topic of money comes up and hints start to drop into conversations, unfortunately the US and some other nations have to answer for every cent spent, some other nations don't, that's my view, am I right Ambassador coffee1.gif

• Like 2

It is about time for US to releases that Thai are playing both US and China and of course China is spending shxt load of money over here

They care about FACE more than common sense. Accepting help from an experienced nation in weather reporting is another risk of "losing face"

"Money and Face" sums it up, "Common sense" is something that the Thai-Chinese elite is trying to brainwash out of the nation's minds...

• Like 1

I think the US has realized this for a long time IMO, but the US is not gonna hold a grudge and punish, like the Chinese would do.

They care about FACE more than common sense. Accepting help from an experienced nation in weather reporting is another risk of "losing face"

"Money and Face" sums it up, "Common sense" is something that the Thai-Chinese elite is trying to brainwash out of the nation's minds...

No one care about face....all is about money. And it has nothing to do with the weather as well.
  • Like 2

"If Nasa does not agree with Thailand's conditions for this project, the government will not allow the space agency to use any airbase in the country to conduct any research.

"Even if Nasa uses an airbase in a neighbouring country, we will not allow them to survey or collect any data in our skies," he said."

Sounds like an ultimatum to me. TL did want NASA working in its borders?blink.png It looks like other countries were more than happy to work with NASA.

The USA really must be looking at these muppets and scratching their heads when they hear this rhetoric.

All to gain and nothing to lose and they come back with this flag waving crap. The usa saved Thailand ass from being a japanese colony, and drew a line in the sand in the vietnam war.

There is already a permenant usa presence at u tapao, and they turn a weather research project into a tub thumping issue. Absolute muppets.

I dont think the US is the only one looking at Thailand and its Government, this way. This "Muppet show" is getting more and more international press everyday.

Edited by dcutman

"I cannot say right now whether we will allow the US space agency to use our skies to conduct its research after it decided to set up base in another country,"

Be careful what you wish for big boy. NASA is not some fly by night bunch of boys experimenting with homemade rockets in Isaan. I expect after this second threat from the Thai experts Nasa will just say ok boys have it your way. No using your airspace and don't come around asking for any data after the project is finished.

Edited by Pimay1

said the government would comply with Nasa's decision

As if they have a choice in the matter. wink.png

They might still lodge a protest with the embassy and demand for NASA to return or be compensated for the money they could have made smile.png

Get the DSI involved, they seem pretty good at making a criminal case out of nothing - then we'd have all the stupidest people in Thailand working on the same thing

• Like 1