Accident Viset Road

stevenl

None of the local English rags seem to be reporting this tragic accident which once again highlights the idiocy & extreme recklessness of some drivers on our roads not forgetting that stretch all the way to the lights is a dangerous section.

Yes but he is not a drunk falang.Just another day in Thailand if no money can extracted.He will be back behind the wheel p=ssed again next week

Really? I get sick of this same rhetoric I read from some "farang" that has a chip on their shoulder against the people whose country they live in. His truck was badly damaged and I really doubt he has A-1 Insurance. Do you really think he will have enough money to repair it in a week as you say or buy a new one after paying retribution to the woman's family? Think again. Or just think a bit more before posting...

<snip>

In mine or your country this would be headline news and the driver would be sent down for a long time

<snip>

Guess what Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore...

Edited by Jimi007

None of the local English rags seem to be reporting this tragic accident which once again highlights the idiocy & extreme recklessness of some drivers on our roads not forgetting that stretch all the way to the lights is a dangerous section.

Yes but he is not a drunk falang.Just another day in Thailand if no money can extracted.He will be back behind the wheel p=ssed again next week

Really? I get sick of this same rhetoric I read from some "farang" that has a chip on their shoulder against the people whose country they live in. His truck was badly damaged and I really doubt he has A-1 Insurance. Do you really think he will have enough money to repair it in a week as you say or buy a new one after paying retribution to the woman's family? Think again. Or just think a bit more before posting...

I agree with you on the rhetoric, but I think he was commenting more on the general lack of enforcement or punishment here when compared to wherever he is from, not about how long it would take him to repair his vehicle. Generally speaking he is probably right. Thais see a drivers license as a way to avoid paying 200B at each police check, which is all it takes to operate without a license here, even if you have your license revoked for killing someone while drunk driving as what may have happened here. The police will never check him at the stops. He will just be one more Thai paying 200B to the police each stop in order to drive without a license. So yeah, he will probably be driving again right away if he wants to. Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

I agree with you on the rhetoric, but I think he was commenting more on the general lack of enforcement or punishment here when compared to wherever he is from, not about how long it would take him to repair his vehicle. Generally speaking he is probably right. Thais see a drivers license as a way to avoid paying 200B at each police check, which is all it takes to operate without a license here, even if you have your license revoked for killing someone while drunk driving as what may have happened here. The police will never check him at the stops. He will just be one more Thai paying 200B to the police each stop in order to drive without a license. So yeah, he will probably be driving again right away if he wants to.

Yes of course enforcement of the law here is not like the country one came from, most likely. That's known by anyone who has lived here for any amount of time. The laws are selectively enforced. Then there is also how well you are connected and how much you can pay to keep it away from the prosecutor's office...

About 1 hour ago another accident on Viset, just before the traffic lights (Chalong side) two ambulances so probably not good. Good not bother to take a closer look. Maybe I'm getting immune for this sort of thing ?

I guess the local rags are getting immune to it as well as none of them seem to be reporting these accidents. This road is a dangerous hot spot which needs to be highlighted.

About 1 hour ago another accident on Viset, just before the traffic lights (Chalong side) two ambulances so probably not good. Good not bother to take a closer look. Maybe I'm getting immune for this sort of thing ?

falang dead and driver was korean..

I was southbound driving down Vichit earlier tonight doing about 90 and of course a black Fortuner is up my ass through the Sai Yuan lights, the bit where they put the donkey dicks between the lanes so the outside lane doesn't stop anymore...then as quick as he can he is around me, 150+, then swerves to undertakes a scooter which is oddly hanging about in the right lane doing about 80, then just as he is nearly past the scooter, where the road bends to the right and starts the climb up to the Mangosteen and Vijit resort, he cuts hard across the front of the scooter nearly hitting him. It is more common to see this kind of behavior along this road than not.

When there are 70% bikes on the road there will be accidents drunk or not drunk

When there are 70% bikes on the road there will be accidents drunk or not drunk

Motorcyclists account for 70% of casualities on Thai roads

Read the article in the PG

According to the other news source we can't mention, but is mentioned in rule 31 of this board, there has been no published data about deaths by accident or drowning for at least a year now. They and I assume the numbers aren't good and the officials in charge wouldn't want the staggering numbers to impact tourism!

Welcome back from you holiday IrishIvan.

Apparently both people involved in the OP have died: the lady driving the motorbike, 4-5 months pregnant, and the driver of the pickup.

Thanks for the coconut telegraph update. It was the only news around here for many years. It was very busy at Wat Rawai this past week I noticed as I passed by. A sad week for all those involved, or even reading about it.

Not related too this story but did anyone read about about the two scum teenagers who snatched a bag from a lady riding a bike from Karon to Patong.

They snatched her bag then smashed into a car travelling the other direction the driver of the car then just drove off leaving the two idiots in a bad way.

There is a god after all.

Fortunately the lady was not injured and she did not loose her bag.

Just had a similar experience as OP. I was having dinner near the TOT office on Chao Fah West when I heard the unmistakable sound of vehicles colliding at high speed. I immediately called 1669 and asked for an ambulance in Thai, but the operator actually spoke English very well. I told her it sounded like a big accident but I didn't know how many people were injured. She said she was sending one "basic ambulance." Being an EMT I feel compelled to check it out to see if I can help. I arrived at the scene less than a minute after the impact and it was immediately clear that one ambulance wasn't going to be enough. The accident involved one motorbike, a pick-up truck, and a minivan with passengers. It was a nightmare. This is what we call an MCI, or mass casualty incident, which was going to require triage. I tried 1669 twice more as I was assessing the scene to see how many were injured but the line was busy as I am sure many of the gathering crowd were also calling. Two on a motorbike were down. I will avoid going into detail, but one was certainly not going to survive her injuries and the other one was badly hurt. No helmets but it would not have made a difference for the woman. The driver of the pick-up was also in bad shape and was in a siezure. I could tell he was going to need to be extracted as he appeared pinned and both doors were damaged and unlikely to open. The minivan had at least 5 people in it, but some had already exited so there may have been more. They seemed to all be Thai, but one girl in the minivan that answered me in English sounded and looked Filipino. The front seat occupants of the van were pretty bloodied but conscious So at least 8 people total injured. By the time I was able to assess the scene the basic ambulance had already arrived since one of the volunteer foundations is just around the corner. I conveyed what I knew to one of them and he was immediately on the radio calling for assistance. A woman that appeared to know or be a relative of the woman on the motorbike arrived and became hysterical Lots of chaotic running around by the first ambulance staff, then a second foundation ambulance arrived and a woman dressed in white took charge. I passed on my info to her and she seemed to understand. I told her I was a medic and could help if I could get some gloves. The woman on the motorbike was sadly ignored, however this was the proper action in a triage situation. She had been labeled "Expectant", or unlikely to benefit from care which would be better utilized on a patient with a better likelihood for survival. Soon there were emergency vehicles of every type there. The call must have gone out pretty wide as even the Rawai municipality Sport Rider showed up. For 10 minutes emergency vehicles continued to arrive. I counted 9 ambulances. As I left the fire department was setting up flood lights over the pick-up and were extricating the driver.

I have worked traumas before, but this was probably the worst I have ever seen. The thing that will haunt me was seeing the male rider of the motorbike, badly hurt himself, holding the dying woman's head, caressing her hair.

• Like 2

Another sad loss of 2 lives.

And the ******* maniac who caused this was drunk and abusive and has probably escaped with minor injuries.

Very sad again this accident, but according to the report loss of 1 life. It's bad enough as it is, no need to overdo it.

RIP.

Edited by stevenl

And the ******* maniac who caused this was drunk and abusive and has probably escaped with minor injuries.

Very sad again this accident, but according to the report loss of 1 life. It's bad enough as it is, no need to overdo it.

RIP.

He may be counting the unborn child.

And @ lavender, the driver that apparently caused it did not escape with minor injuries.

• Like 1

RIP.

What's over doing the loss of a women and her unborn child????

Caused by a drunken abusive driver.

RIP.

He may be counting the unborn child.

And @ lavender, the driver that apparently caused it did not escape with minor injuries.

Good I hope he is suffering

^ Being reported now by Phuket News. Looks like the woman on the bike was 3 monts pregnant.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/speeding-phuket-driver-causes-road-carnage-37877.php

Very sad. Your last sentence in your initial report brought a tear or two as well. Thanks for being you and trying to help...

So there are still no news reports of the accident described in the OP. The one on Chao Fa sounds horrific & hopefully the drunken driver will get his just desserts but I wont hold my breath considering the way justice runs here. If true justice was served to the lunatics on our roads who inflict tragedy on others then surely we would see better driving or would we? Like drug mules I suppose there will always be plenty of idiots who will drive at breakneck speeds &/or when drunk.

^ Being reported now by Phuket News. Looks like the woman on the bike was 3 monts pregnant.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/speeding-phuket-driver-causes-road-carnage-37877.php

Very sad. Your last sentence in your initial report brought a tear or two as well. Thanks for being you and trying to help...

So there are still no news reports of the accident described in the OP. The one on Chao Fa sounds horrific & hopefully the drunken driver will get his just desserts but I wont hold my breath considering the way justice runs here. If true justice was served to the lunatics on our roads who inflict tragedy on others then surely we would see better driving or would we? Like drug mules I suppose there will always be plenty of idiots who will drive at breakneck speeds &/or when drunk.

Fear of an accident or the punishment after crashing will never be a deterrent. The causes of most of these big accidents are the complete lack of any enforcement. Another major contributing factor, in my opinion, is that we live in a predeterministic society here. There is no personal responsibility for ones actions because the "accident" was going to happen regardless of the actions of the drivers. It will be due to karma, something like the person wronged someone, or didn't make merit that morning.

Edited by NomadJoe

• 3 weeks later...

Another big crash at Viset and Sai Yuan last night maybe 500M from the OP's accident. They had the flood lights up and everything so must have needed extraction. I haven't seen anything in the news about it.

Sorry to say just another accident not even news worthy any more, there seem to be that many on phuket at the moment, would probably have to open a news paper just dedicated to road accidents.

Another big crash at Viset and Sai Yuan last night maybe 500M from the OP's accident. They had the flood lights up and everything so must have needed extraction. I haven't seen anything in the news about it.

Sorry to say just another accident not even news worthy any more, there seem to be that many on phuket at the moment, would probably have to open a news paper just dedicated to road accidents.

Let's not forget these accidents in the news is not good for tourism. The local government hasn't published any figures for deaths from drowning or any other deaths for quite a while now. Not really surprising, I'm sure they wouldn't be good!