90-Day Reporting By Post

I live in inner Bangkok and will have to present myself at Chaengwattana next month for the 90-day reporting

I just learned that I could do it by post.

I only have to submit the necessary documents 15 days before the date as stamped on my slip of paper.

My question is: do the 15 days include Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays?

Please be aware. I just had the 90 notify by mail web site carefully translated to me. While the English version states the 90 day may be sent in by mail, the Thai version clearly states this only applies to people in the Bangkok area. In other words, most of the English web site is wrong.

This was tested by me. The Chiang Mai immigration office became extremely angry when I checked on my mailing in the 90. One officer was actually yelling and other officers in the office. They then granted my 90 day in a mail reply and specifically wrote on it to not mail in the application again.

Checking further on this, some of the immigration officers in Chiang Mai think that a mail in 90 day is acceptable provided the person lives a long distance from the office. Other immigration officers have flatly stated they will process no more mail in requests after Jan. 1st 2013. The actual distance the person lives from the immigration office is not specified anywhere but 20 km is not far enough.

If anyone has further verified information on this, please post.

I have another question.

Suppose the date of my next 90-day reporting is on June 5, 2013 as stated on a slip of paper stapled to a page on my passport.

But I fly out of Thailand on April 10, 2013 to attend some conferences in other parts of the world and return to Thailand on April 16, 2013. Prior to leaving Thailand I have applied for a single re-entry permit.

Questions:

Will I have to report at Chaengwattan on June 5, 2013?

Or has my original date of 90-day reporting been changed? Is yes, what is the new date?

What web site did you translate? There are many - there is a specific Bangkok site as below

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/intro1.html

And there is a general national immigration web site as below

http://www.immigration.go.th/

And others for various specific offices

The Thai page: http://www.chiangmaiimm.com/th/notification-of-staying-in-the-kingdom-over-90-days.html

The English: http://www.chiangmaiimm.com/en/notification-of-staying-in-the-kingdom-over-90-days.html

Please also be aware, the translator found several other errors, discrepancies and omissions. We must assume that if it isn't on the Thai version verbatim, it doesn't exist or will be subject to an immigration officers personal opinion.

sms747,

what d'ya mean by "more headaches than it's worth"?

according to immigration website, if the return letter gets lost you just need to produce evidence that you mail the form and necessary documents. the immigration officer will do the rest, no?

sms747,

what d'ya mean by "more headaches than it's worth"?

according to immigration website, if the return letter gets lost you just need to produce evidence that you mail the form and necessary documents. the immigration officer will do the rest, no?

Yes, that's correct. Although I've never had a letter get lost in the post here. Much easier to post the 90-day report than to trek all the way to CW and queue up. Saves time and money.

The last time I reported personally for the 90 day report the officer told me than I should not do so but that I should report by post in future because I live quite a long waty away.. i.e it does seem if you don't live near an immigration office they will always accept postal reporting. Howewver most of my friends just send thier maid or gardener. Anyone can do your reporting!

if the return letter (not ems) gets lost it will cause you more headaches than it's worth

Not really, as long you have proof you sent it in, like your EMS receipt. Also they will have a record that you did the report.